• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Stanley Baxter

I honestly thought that Stanley Baxter had died years ago, but he popped up recently in a poignant and funny play on Radio 4... Magic!

gncxx said:
Lionel Blair's still OK, though, isn't he?

He croaked a couple of years ago didn't he?

Or did I dream it?

Edit: just checked Wiki and dagnabbit he's 77 and still breathing.

How odd. :shock:

Wow, I could have sworn Id heard Stanley Baxter had died a couple of years ago...according to wiki hes still with us

Y'know what, a couple of hours ago I was discussing this very thread, and I pointed out that despite every instinct to the contrary Karl Malden was actually alive and well. And then this...

I think I'll stay quiet from now on vis-a-vis this one.

Yes that's very weird stuneville; might have to change your name to Grim Reaper...wonder if you had a premonition freudian slip type thing

I askd if Molly Sugden was still alive on monday.....
This used to happen all the time to my mum shed ask if someone was still alive and then a couple of days later it would be announce they were dead.It got to be a joke in our house where if she asked if someone was alive we'd all say "well their doomed now."

I had a related experience nearly 20 years ago. A local street person whom I passed nearly every day suddenly dropped off the radar.

So I asked around. An elderly woman who gave him money, food and a place to sleep on winter nights told me that he'd been run over and killed by a taxi at Sixth and Main in downtown Cincinnsti.

I got the same story from almost every shopkeeper along the street. The dead man had previously picked up a few pennies by sweeping their sidewalks.

My own girlfriend who worked in the Federal Building at Sixth and Main said "Oh, I thought you knew," and went into great detail.

Six months later I walked through an alley, and here was the "dead" man rummaging through a trash can.

I couldn't help myself - "I thought you were dead!"

His reply: "Brother, you ain't alone!"

The recent death, or indeed the continued survival of, someone you KNOW died and was buried years ago has been cited as "proof" of the existence of parallel or multiple worlds.

I've thought that for years. There's some people who I'm sure have been dead several times, and wondered if I don't always wake up in the same timeline..

Death of John Keel a few days ago: I was certain he'd died a few years ago, even to the extent of having read things about it.

Timble2 said:
I've thought that for years. There's some people who I'm sure have been dead several times, and wondered if I don't always wake up in the same timeline..

What a fantastic idea for a book. I'm sure someone has probably done something similar before. A person who wakes up in an alternative timeline each day - sometimes with effects from the days before and sometimes not, never sure which timeline they're in.

The recent death of Mollie Sugden made me think about the other main members of the cast of "Are you being seerved?".

Of course we know we also sadly lost Wendy Richard not so long ago (Miss Brahms).

However, when I was a kid and these were being shown '1st time around', I remember that the character of Mr Lucas had to be replaced as Trevor Bannister had died, but upon looking it up, I find that he is alive and well and is now 72, most recently being on 'Last of the summer wine' and 'Doctor Who' !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Bannister

Also, I was fairly certain I had heard that Frank Thornton (Capt. Peacock) had died last year sometime, however he is still also in 'L.o.t.s.w'

Oddly, it's the other way around with John Inman, who I was sure was still alive, but actually died in 2007 (aged 71) after battling a Hepatitis A infection he apparently got in 2004 after eating some contaminated food :?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4082691.stm

I also clearly remember Trevor Bannister as having died a long time ago, and was equally surpised when he turned up in Last of the Summer Wine. Talking of which show, I thought that Brian Wilde (Foggy) had died at least once before he actually did, if you're with me.

You know, apart from Timble's alternative timelines idea, which I've long considered a possibility, it may just be that I was confusing Trevor Bannister with Richard Beckinsale (who didn't make 32 - not in my current universe, at least). It's the hair, you see...

I was certain that John Mayall was dead but I see hes playing in Dublin on 21 July.

Something which seems to fit here is the (apparent) fact that Sacagawea, the brilliant young Indian woman who served as translator for the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804-1805, is buried in TWO different graves with TWO different death dates....75 years apart!

I am NOT making this up. (I'm not that good.)

PITWD

Peeps I mistakenly thought were dead:

Abe Vigoda, Freddy Fender, Ernest Borgnine, Gordon Lightfoot, and others.

There have been some false news reports of some celebrity deaths. I am positive I heard a report of Abe Vigoda's death back in the 80's, only to hear about some new activity of his (TV appearance or such) in the 90's. When I mentioned to my (then) Mother-in-Law that I was sure he had passed away years before, she said that in fact his death had been falsely reported. There was another Italian American actor that this happened to. He was commenting on the reports afterward, but I don't remember his name.

Freddy Fender recently passed away, which surprised me because I was sure he had passed away in the late 80's or early 90's. My neighbor told me that it had in fact been his son, Freddy Fender Jr, who had passed away years ago.

Yesterday I heard on the radio that Gordon Lightfoot was having a concert at nearby Chautauqua Institution. I told my son that it was strange considering he had passed on about 15 years ago.

Gordon Lightfoot

Weirdly enough, Gordon Lightfoot is appearing in Binghamton NY (Where I reside) at 8pm tonight, Saturday. He apparently had an episode where he was in a coma for a while, but is recuperating nicely.

Re: We just predict celebrity death!

lindseyinstereo1 said:
MY husband and I for some reason always seem to mention really obscure celebrities or ones that we havent mentioned in years and then they die a few days later. For example recently we mentioned ODB (ol' dirt bastard, aka big baby jesus haha) and Christopher Reeve and also Maurice Gibb, Johnny Cash and Mr. Rogers of kids tv fame. We hate mentioning celebs now, especially ones that we like becasue we are always afraid that once we mention them they'll die!

That happened to me with Karen Ann Quinlan. After her parents won the right to have her life support removed, she popped out of the news. Then suddenly her name just popped into my head out of the blue as I was sitting in the employee's lounge at work in 1985. I scratched my head wondering why this had happened, then briefly wondered whether she was still alive. I decided that she had probably passed away years before. Later that day or the next day there was a report of her having just passed away.

Background info: this is the young woman who slipped into a coma after returning home from a party where she had drank. She had taken several prescription type drugs and had been starving herself for a few days in order to fit into a new dress. This occurred in 1975 and she was taken off of life support in 1976. This was a frequent topic on the news at the time.

Go see Lightfoot if you're a fan, but get close seats and brace yourself. If you're not a fan, get the 4-CD collectin and train yourself, but don't try to see him live. The years have stripped whole layers out of his voice. We were in the balcony at the Majestic in San Antonio, which has decent acoustics, and the less-familiar songs were almost impossible to follow.

He didn't structure the concert in they way I've come to expect, either - Edmund Fitzgerald was not the finale! Aretha Franklin similarly threw everything I thought I knew about set arrangement away when she came last year - she came out of the wings singing "Respect" and man, we did. Did there not used to be a standard template for arranging sets?

I want a time machine so I can go back and catch a lot of concerts. I was too cheap/poor and musically ignorant to see bands back when I was young, with the result that I have never seen some of my favorites till they got past their prime.

PeniG said:
I want a time machine so I can go back and catch a lot of concerts. I was too cheap/poor and musically ignorant to see bands back when I was young, with the result that I have never seen some of my favorites till they got past their prime.

Me too! Sadly, I never got to see the Talking Heads when they were at their prime...

I thought Cyril had died years ago, but no, he's only just got round to it.
Former Liberal Democrat MP Cyril Smith dies

The veteran Liberal Democrat politician Sir Cyril Smith has died at the age of 82, the party has confirmed.

Sir Cyril represented the constituency of Rochdale as an MP, both for the Liberal Party and the Liberal Democrats, for 20 years.

He was one of the party's most recognisable and high-profile figures, retiring from Parliament in 1992.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said Sir Cyril was a "larger-than-life" character who would be missed.

Sir Cyril was chief whip during Jeremy Thorpe's turbulent leadership of the party in the 1970s.

A Lib Dem spokesman said Sir Cyril had been ill for many months and had died on Friday morning, with members of his family by his bedside.

Fiercely independent and blunt-speaking, Sir Cyril frequently clashed with his party over issues such as capital punishment, nuclear weapons and abortion.

He was sceptical about the party's merger with the SDP in the 1980s as well as its pact with Labour in the 1970s which kept Jim Callaghan's government in office.

He was a Labour supporter in his youth, defecting to the Liberals after serving as mayor of his birthplace, Rochdale.

After winning a by-election in 1972, he went on to play a key role in holding the party together during the 1970s amid allegations about Mr Thorpe's private life, which subsequently led the leader to resign.

Sir Cyril was made an MBE for his public services in 1966 and was knighted in 1988.

His brother Norman told the Press Association news agency: "Cyril passed away peacefully this morning with members of his family around him. I couldn't have asked for a better brother."

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11180264

It goes to show that overweight doesn't always bring about an early death -he was ENORMOUS if I remember rightly!

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this - I thought Cyril had died years ago too.
I guess he had a pretty complete retirement from public life.

Mythopoeika said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this - I thought Cyril had died years ago too.
I guess he had a pretty complete retirement from public life.

Me too. Perhaps I was thinking of Clement Freud.

On Sunday afternoon I was tidying up a bit in the loft. I have a stack of old 78 rpm records - no good really but I can't bring myself to throw them away.

Well I picked up the top one to blow the dust off it, and the one underneath it was 'Don't laugh at me' by Norman Wisdom. I paused for a moment and looked at it and wondered just for a moment if he was still alive - (I guess this kind of scenario happens to thousands of people all over the place all the time). And concluded that I could not remember ever hearing of his death on the news.

I forgot about this completely until the sad news of his death was announced on Monday.

Seeing Duane Eddy (he of the twangy guitar) alive and kicking on this weeks Later With Jools came as a surprise I must admit

I was watching one of my most loved sci-fi movies last week, The Black Hole. I got to thinking about how much i enjoy Ernest Borgnine's performance in this and many other movies and how sad it was that he'd passed away in the mists of the early nineties. I googled it to find out how and when he died to satisfy my morbid curiosty only to find out he was still very much alive and well and still working at the grand old age of 93. He was the co-pilot in the TV series Airwolf and was great in the Poseiden Adventure but my most loved of his roles was the sadistic train guard in Emporer of the North Pole. I was amused to find out that he currently voices the character Mermaid Man in Spongebob Squarepants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine#Film

Um... It was supposed to be a funny clip, now I feel as if I've inadvertently depressed everyone!

Back