• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

gman72 said:
my most loved of his roles was the sadistic train guard in Emporer of the North Pole.

That, and as Dutch in The Wild Bunch must rank as two of his finest roles.

Dr_Baltar said:
gman72 said:
my most loved of his roles was the sadistic train guard in Emporer of the North Pole.

And the Cabbie in Escape From New York!

ramonmercado said:
Dr_Baltar said:
gman72 said:

And the Cabbie in Escape From New York!
He really is a fine actor, not in a Ian McKellen or Patrick Stewart way but in an earthy, real kind of way. When Ernest does sinister or scheeming he's fantastic.

You know, when he turned up on The Single Guy back in the 90s, I was sure I'd heard that he'd died recently. And now, he's turned up again.

Good luck to him. Hope he keeps working until he's 120 or something.

Thanks to Pamela Stephenson on Not The Nine O'Clock News about 400 years ago, to some of us he'll always be "Errrrnst Borgneenay". He is a terrific actor, and completely agree about his role in Emperor of the North Pole (or Emperor of the North, as it was titled when I saw it, cos obviously that's a far snappier title all round.)

Bernard Matthews. Got a text from my mate when he died, saying "Bernard Matthews died AGAIN?" - I also thought he was long gone. Weird.

I had one of these today. Peter Falk passed away yesterday. I'd thought he was dead for 2-3 years! I can't remember where I read it (Although I have a feeling it was Yahoo news... The same place I saw it today!)

Sir Jimmy Young returning to BBC Radio 2

Veteran broadcaster Sir Jimmy Young is to return to BBC Radio 2 to celebrate his 90th birthday.
The presenter, who hosted a weekday current affairs show on the station for 35 years before leaving in 2002, will return for a one-hour special looking back over his life and career.
Sir Jimmy Young at 90 will feature the broadcaster in conversation with former colleague Ken Bruce.
The programme will be broadcast on 20 September at 22:00 BST.

"It's great to be making a programme for Radio 2 - especially with my mate Ken Bruce," Sir Jimmy said.
"To be reunited with Sir Jimmy is a pleasure and a privilege," Bruce added. "He's a fantastic broadcaster with an amazing story.
"Having him back at Radio 2, if only for an hour, is a treat for us all."

Sir Jimmy - known to his fans as 'JY' - had a successful music career before becoming a broadcaster.
In 1955 he became the first British singer to have two consecutive number one singles, with Unchained Melody and The Man from Laramie.

He went on to join the BBC as one of the original Radio 1 DJs at the station's inception in 1967, moving to Radio 2 in 1973.
There he occupied the early afternoon slot where he interviewed every serving British prime minister during his time on air, as well as many other leading world figures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14547951

Re: marcel marceau

binotaur said:
Is Marcel Marceau really dead? Or is he just miming? I have a horrid mental image of him doing that glass wall thing on the lid of his coffin... :shock:

:lol:

Me and a friend used to play a game during particularly boring Wycombe Wanderers home games of naming a celeb and guessing if he was dead or alive and then Wiki-ing them.

Peter Falk I remember thinking was long in the ground, while Telly Savalas I thought was still alive.

Bob Monkhouse is one I always think is still living and Bob Holness a goner.

EDIT: I was amazed to discover Chuck Berry is still alive. Was sure he died in the 50s or 60s but then saw a special about him on the BBC and a Wiki later was picking my jaw off the floor. Kinda assumed if he was still alive he would have been involved in some kind of RUN DMC/Aerosmith style collaboration with a rapper or someone in the 90s.

Me too! Sadly, I never got to see the Talking Heads when they were at their prime...

June 1977, Roundhouse Chalk Farm, London. Ramones Headlining, Talking Heads Support. Yes, you can guess, most people only wanted to see the Ramones and TH were too 'arty' and not 'punk' enough!

Around the same time, at the same venue I saw The Saints supporting The Stranglers. The audience had similar attitudes. Still, pretty good for my first 2 gigs as a callow 16 year old.

McAvennie_ said:
EDIT: I was amazed to discover Chuck Berry is still alive. Was sure he died in the 50s or 60s but then saw a special about him on the BBC and a Wiki later was picking my jaw off the floor. Kinda assumed if he was still alive he would have been involved in some kind of RUN DMC/Aerosmith style collaboration with a rapper or someone in the 90s.

Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard are still alive too. Still performing I think, though they probably need a bit of help getting the foot up on the piano keys.

gncxx said:
McAvennie_ said:

Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard are still alive too. Still performing I think, though they probably need a bit of help getting the foot up on the piano keys.

Yeh, those were another two I was shocked to hear are still out there!

McAvennie_ said:
Bob Monkhouse is one I always think is still living

I am genuinely shocked to hear that he isn't. I had to wiki it just to be sure. Poor old Bob.

Yeah, he went quite a while back. His widow allowed his image to be used to front an ad campaign for prostate cancer awareness, as it can be an utterly silent killer - no clue you have it til it's way too late.

And no matter how squeepish you may be about the examination, it's rather better than the alternative.

Back OT a friend was a contestant on Bob's Full House, and said (as did everyone, it seems) that Bob was the nicest bloke you ever met. No side to him, time for everyone, and I remember after he went the sheer number of obviously genuine tributes from his peers.

On the Monkhouse front I remember reading in the Wycombe Wanderers v Hartlepool United programme a year or so back that Pools midfielder Andy Monkhouse was Bob's son. Given that he was early 20s and Bob was by then would have been late 70s I thought it bizarre and a Wiki later revealed on Bob's page no mention of a footballing son but on Andt's a reference to him being Bob's son.

The moral of that tale is when writing penpix for a football programme always verify any info taken from Wikipedia! :lol:

I had got into the habit of thinking Bob was immortal, as he often looked younger than his age.

I was on a tube train a couple of years ago and there was a cancer advert with bob monkhouse, it started...

"as a permanent member of the underground........."

Funny you should mention Ken Dodd, I've just come looking for this thread after reading this...

A Grade II*-listed Victorian music hall in West Yorkshire is to reopen with a gala performance after a £9.9m refurbishment.

Renovation on the City Varieties in Leeds began in 2009 and was carried out in the style of the 1890s.

The fundraising performance on Sunday evening will feature comedian Ken Dodd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14964260

Leaferne said:
The bf has somehow contracted the notion that either Albert Finney or Terence Stamp has died and all the googling in the world won't shift him. :rolleyes:

As for Finney, I thought "isn't he dead?" when I read the following...

Albert Finney joins Bond 23

And that above quote was written in 2004!

I'm always getting Albert Finney and Brian Cox muddled up in my head. Probably because they look so alike.

It would be great if they both appeared in a film together...

I'm sure I saw on the news a few years back that Paul Daniels had died. However, he was on a tv programme over the Christmas period, chatting away. :shock:

I know that a few people I thought were dead, but who are very much with us, was due to a late 90's tv show called "TV Offal". Each week Victor Lewis smith would make up a breaking news item about a dead celeb, and over the years it's blurred from being something that I watched at a teenager to being actual facts! :roll:

Also, I could swear that Tina Turner was 6 foot under? But, nope, she's still going! :D

I was watching one of the Harry Potter films over Christmas and went online to find out who had replaced Robert Hardy, and discovered he was still alive. I was sure he'd died a good few years ago.

I had rather thought that Ronald Searle had died years ago - but nope, he died just recently.

Fluttermoth said:
I was watching one of the Harry Potter films over Christmas and went online to find out who had replaced Robert Hardy, and discovered he was still alive. I was sure he'd died a good few years ago.
are you thinking of the late great richard harris who passed away in 2002 ... he was the original potter chief wizard whatever

Harris has been dead nearly 10 years? Now, that IS a shock.

escargot1 said:
Harris has been dead nearly 10 years? Now, that IS a shock.

I met him in a pub on the Strand just before he died and just after I'd moved to London, very nice chap.

Back