• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

I thought Brian Dennehy died around the millenium, but no, he's still with us.
I am probably mistaking him for another actor.
You're probably thinking of Brian Keith, an actor of an older generation who along with the matching name always reminded me in look and build of dennehy...the latter could pass for keith's son.

I always used to confuse Dennehy with Charles Durning, who did in fact die a few years back (but well in the 21st century!).

You're probably thinking of Brian Keith, an actor of an older generation who along with the matching name always reminded me in look and build of dennehy...the latter could pass for keith's son.

Bingo!

Shakin' Stevens is still alive. But I'm sure he died a few years ago :confused:

013_viz209_prior.jpg

He's the actor who had pseudologia fantastica.

Said he flew choppers in the Vietnam war but was actually working in a bar in New York.

Looking this up for more details I found an article all about fake military records. The first few paragraphs contain an amazing titbit worth a thread of its own (bold type my doing)...

"When Walter Williams, America's last living Civil War veteran, died on December 19, 1959, the city of Houston gave him a funeral procession the likes of which the town had never before seen. A week of official mourning was declared, and more than 100,000 people lined the streets to salute the passing of the last link to a war that had torn America apart.

There was just one problem. Williams had never served in the Civil War. He was a fraud, as writer William Marvel discovered when he began researching a story for Blue & Gray magazine a few years ago. Although Williams had passed himself off as a Confederate soldier for 27 years, records proved he had actually been just five years old when hostilities broke out — too young even to serve as a drummer boy.

Amusingly, the man from whom Williams inherited the "Oldest Living Confederate" title, John Salling, was another phony. In fact, a dismayed Marvel wrote, "Every one of the last dozen recognized Confederates was bogus" including all three attendees at the last United Confederate Veterans' reunion, where, one imagines, they shared made-up stories of how they whipped the Yankees at Bull Run, witnessed the burning of Atlanta, and gave Scarlet O'Hara directions to Tara."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fake-war-stories-exposed/

I always used to confuse Dennehy with Charles Durning, who did in fact die a few years back (but well in the 21st century!).

Me too. When Durning died I couldn't understand why the M*A*S*H blog I visit didn't mention it, but then I realised I was confusing him with Dennehy.

Regarding Shaking Stevens, Alvin Stardust died a couple a couple of years ago, could cherrybomb be thinking of him.

Going further back on the thread I thought for a long time that David Burke had died, possibly to suicide, but I think I was getting him confused with two other Watsons' , namely Colin Blakely who died in 1987 when Sherlock Holmes was on telly and Howard Marion-Crawford who died of an overdose.

Vivian Gray - aka Nell Mangell from Neighbours.

Apparently still living a reclusive life in West Sussex aged 91!

Well, here's one I was alerted to mere minutes ago... Erich von Daniken is still alive at 81! Could have sworn he'd gone to join the space brothers about ten years ago. Now I'm not sure if Billy Meier is still with us too...

I had thought Windsor Davies had died years ago.
But nope, still alive.

For several years I have thought that 'Likely Lad' Rodney Bewes was dead, but he turned up being interviewed on Radio 2 yesterday so I guess he's still with us!

For several years I have thought that 'Likely Lad' Rodney Bewes was dead, but he turned up being interviewed on Radio 2 yesterday so I guess he's still with us!

Bewes pops up from time to time, usually to moan about the fact his former co-star James Bolam won't speak to him.

I was surprised to find out the other day that Denis Norden is still alive. Thought he'd left us years ago but he's still here and 94 now.

Dennis Norden's continued breathing reminded me of my shock at seeing Max Von Sydow in the recent Star Wars movie. Like Norden , Von Sydow has appeared to be old since sometime between the wars.

Dennis Norden's continued breathing reminded me of my shock at seeing Max Von Sydow in the recent Star Wars movie. Like Norden , Von Sydow has appeared to be old since sometime between the wars.
I think he's one of those who may never retire.

I remember Feargal Sharkey dying not long after John Peel died. I remember because they made such a big thing about Teenage Kicks by the Undertones being John Peel's favourite song and it was being played all the time and then Feargal kicked the bucket too. He's definitely still alive though.

I believe that these discrepancies are caused by the Large Hadron Collider causing ripples in the time space continuum.

Dennis Norden's continued breathing reminded me

He lives across the road from a pub I used to drink at in the West End (of that London) and could occasionally be seen shuffling across the road to the newsagent on the opposite corner. Looked very very frail.

The newsagent fact fans, was the one in Peeping Tom where Miles Malleson buys the dirty pictures and is just around the corner from 'Percy Passage' where the opening scene with the murder of the prostitute takes place.

Bewes pops up from time to time, usually to moan about the fact his former co-star James Bolam won't speak to him.

I thought they were both dead! Then I thought, naaah, I'm confusing them with Richard O'Sullivan, he's dead.
But I've just checked and he's alive so I'm baffled now.

Looking at him in the Exorcist and how he looks now.... can't see what changed ?!?!

He was wearing Dick Smith's expert old age makeup in The Exorcist. Just shows you what a towering talent Smith was when you see how accurate his ageing of von Sydow was. In the flashback intro sequence where Fr Merrin finds the statue, you can see what he actually looked like in 1973.

Back