• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Pilot was great, looking forward to a full season.

Great thread all, enjoyed it a lot. The Man in the High Castle seems well worth a look.

By the by I though "Screamers" wasn't a bad movie, just not a great one.

Great thread all, enjoyed it a lot. The Man in the High Castle seems well worth a look.

It was an ok movie, worth watching.

I saw Screamers in the cinema, a quarter-full auditorium on a Saturday night. It was a bit like watching a straight to video movie on a huge screen, but it was OK.

Screamers was just OK. Made to a budget.

Anyone else watch The Man in the High Castle episode 2 at the weekend? Got a bit bogged down for most of it, but picked up with some excitement at the end. Liking the paranoia, just hoping they remember the weirdness was part of the book too.

Anyone else watch The Man in the High Castle episode 2 at the weekend? Got a bit bogged down for most of it, but picked up with some excitement at the end. Liking the paranoia, just hoping they remember the weirdness was part of the book too.

Yeah liked it. Which channel showed it? I saw it online.

It's an Amazon exclusive, but evidently it's escaped from its natural habitat.

It's an Amazon exclusive, but evidently it's escaped from its natural habitat
Is TMITHC now being shown outwith Amazon? I would like to see it, but am unable to justify becoming an Amazon Primate.

(mainly on the grounds of cost, but also down the fact that I don't really have the time to live, let alone spend lots of time uptaking the access or the content....if only it were not so)

Therefore: is it now being aired through some other traditional method? (hell, I'll even watch it bounced off a geostationary satellite relay, if I must)

Should The MTA Allow These Nazi Insignias On Subway Cars?

Seats on 42nd Street subway Shuttle cars are wrapped with symbols from Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, intended to carry commuters into the alternate history of the Amazon TV series, The Man in the High Castle, in which the Axis Powers were victorious.

112315subwayad.jpg

“Half the seats in my car had Nazi insignias inside an American flag, while the other half had the Japanese flag in a style like the World War II design,” said straphanger Ann Toback. “So I had a choice, and I chose to sit on the Nazi insignia because I really didn’t want to stare at it.”

Toback said she doesn’t object to the TV show as a work of fiction, but insists, “I shouldn’t have to sit staring at a Nazi insignia on my way to work.”
http://gothamist.com/2015/11/23/nazi_mta_subway_castle.php

The Man in the High Castle is a fine show; fine as in sufficient, not as in excellent. The series, which premiered on Amazon on Friday, has all of the signifiers of Quality TV Drama—a slow burn with just enough violence to keep audiences interested, mysterious characters, an extremely dark palette. But something is missing.

Sure, there’s a lot to like about the show, adapted from Philip K. Dick’s alternate-history novel of the same name. The cast is, generally speaking, good, particularly Rufus Sewell as SS officer John Smith and Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa as weary Japanese official Nobusuke Tagomi. The others are at least committed to being good-looking and angstily earnest in the way in that CW way. The action sequences are tense and well-shot, even if the pacing can be rough. Still, something is missing.

A vague sense of paranoia permeates the universe—not that surprising, since the show’s very premise hinges on the Nazis having won World War II. Even the threat of outing someone as Jewish, or of having Jewish ancestry, causes tension. The most important object in the show is a newsreel that depicts an alternate outcome in which the Allies won the war; that’s because, as the characters yell repeatedly, it proves that things can be different (even if we’re not quite sure how). Most of these people intuit that something is wrong with their world.

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/man-in-the-high-castle/?mbid=social_twitter

“I shouldn’t have to sit staring at a Nazi insignia on my way to work.”

Well, that's handy. Because these are de-Nazified eagles. The swaztikas have been replaced with a Maltese cross 'patee'. So she's saved. And the MTA don't need to make any judgement at all.....

Is TMITHC now being shown outwith Amazon? I would like to see it, but am unable to justify becoming an Amazon Primate.

(mainly on the grounds of cost, but also down the fact that I don't really have the time to live, let alone spend lots of time uptaking the access or the content....if only it were not so)

Therefore: is it now being aired through some other traditional method? (hell, I'll even watch it bounced off a geostationary satellite relay, if I must)

The whole idea, as with Netflix and other online exclusive content manufacturers, is that you sign up with the companies to see this stuff. TMITHC is Amazon's highest profile example. However, there's always a way around it from the pirate's point of view, and if you want to risk viruses etc. then you could always download the episodes free from someone who's stolen them.

Must admit I've been so intent on catching up with The Walking Dead I haven't gotten around to the other High Castle episodes. Might give episode 3 a go tonight.

As there's been such a dearth of good stuff lately, I might check out the first episode.

Just watched last episode of TMITHC. Incredible! The extra stuff is all in the spirit of PKD.

I'm still on episode 4! Must pull my socks up.

Not being an Amazon subscriber, I'm sitting at a distance, watching the trailers, and the comments here, and wondering if I should take the plunge with Amazon Prime. I heard a review on the radio the other day that praised the setup and the look of the thing, but slated the script so badly that it nearly put me off. Perhaps if I were to consult the I Ching, I would discover that the real world is one where I already subscribe to Amazon, and the script for TMITHC is amazing. That would be nice...

Just watched episode 1 of The Man in the High Castle. Enjoyed it - good production values.

I loved the book when I read it about 20 years ago, so I watched the first episode of the show for about ten minutes and thought it was rubbish. I don't watch much telly so if I'm not grabbed straight away I tend to not bother, especially when it's an adaptation of a book I enjoyed.
I'll maybe give it another go tonight.

I'm a big fan of Dick.

I loved the book when I read it about 20 years ago, so I watched the first episode of the show for about ten minutes and thought it was rubbish. I don't watch much telly so if I'm not grabbed straight away I tend to not bother, especially when it's an adaptation of a book I enjoyed.

I have the book and haven't read it - perhaps that is the difference?
I just thought it was enjoyable on its own merits.

I'm a big fan of Dick.

Careful now. ;)

I'm a big fan of Dick.

Do give it another chance. Persevere! It will be worth it imho.

Watching the first episode right now. Yeah, it's very cool. I must have been in a bad mood or something when I first tried it!

I have two episodes to go, it started well then started to meander when it got away from the source plot, but it's recovering well now it's finding its feet. Worst episode is where everyone started gratuituously swearing. It'll be back for season 2 next year.

How many seasons does it need, though? In the book, once the general twist is understood, the story is pretty much over. And I would aver that any tale which can't be told in 10 hours is going to be full of waffle.

I note that in this TV show, the Maguffin is a newsreel, whereas in the book it was a work of written fiction. Does this mean the TV series lends itself more to stretching the tale further? Without watching it, of course, I can't, but I hope its not another Under The Dome.

PS: Isn't it about time this thread's title was changed, to reflect a wider interest in the author's work? "I'm a big fan of Dick" would work...

How many seasons does it need, though? In the book, once the general twist is understood, the story is pretty much over. And I would aver that any tale which can't be told in 10 hours is going to be full of waffle.

I note that in this TV show, the Maguffin is a newsreel, whereas in the book it was a work of written fiction. Does this mean the TV series lends itself more to stretching the tale further? Without watching it, of course, I can't, but I hope its not another Under The Dome.

PS: Isn't it about time this thread's title was changed, to reflect a wider interest in the author's work? "I'm a big fan of Dick" would work...

Its gone beyond the book. he background universe is there to be explored, as long as they don't overdo it.

There's no call for that kind of language, nothing could be as bad as Under the Dome.

I watched episodes 1-4 today.

Back