• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Postbox Cosies

I found a Facebook comment that says it's near the station in Dresden.

A new Easter themed one at the end of my road. When will these wanton reefer smoking vile acts of vandalism end Lord? .. when? ..

apostboxeaster.jpg

A new Easter themed one at the end of my road. When will these wanton reefer smoking vile acts of vandalism end Lord? .. when? ..

View attachment 75099
That post-box is a GR Rather than an ER. As in George Regina. They are quite rare I think.

There is one in Leadenhall market in the CIty of London, but that’s the only one I know of.

That post-box is a GR Rather than an ER. As in George Regina. They are quite rare I think.

There is one in Leadenhall market in the CIty of London, but that’s the only one I know of.
We've got post boxes for every king or queen in our town starting with Queen Victoria. We're only missing 'abdication' Edward the 8th and we haven't got a King Charles the 3rd one yet.

We've got post boxes for every king or queen in our town starting with Queen Victoria. We're only missing 'abdication' Edward the 8th and we haven't got a King Charles the 3rd one yet.
And you won't see one I'm afraid. The decision was taken just to put the Royal Crown logo on and no longer add the details of the monarch.

We have an Edward viii in Edinburgh along with three Victoria's that I know of.

Apparently 161 Edward viii post boxes were made of which 150 are still extant.
Edward the 8th boxes are extremely rare, yep.

My favourite out of all of the designs is King Edward VII, it's the most flamboyant cypher by far and he was said to be a flamboyant man. The fun fact is that each king or queen gets the final say on what their cypher will look like and it's said each cypher matches the personality of each monarch.

ageorgevii.png

https://www.postalmuseum.org/blog/royal-cyphers-on-letterboxes/

The post box at the end of my road has a slot so narrow C4 envelopes won’t fit without some scrunching. I’ve noticed that last [only] collection round my way is now 9am rather than 5.30 as used to be until recently.

Still got a (functioning last time I looked) VR in my old village (embedded in church wall). The GR near my house was shut down a few years back although it's still there just blocked up.

Here in the U.S. the state of post boxes makes me sad as vandalism is at an all time high destroying post boxes.

When I was young people never touched post boxes or home post boxes.

Today destroyed post boxes are not likely to be replaced by the post office.

Good thing about the VR embedded in church wall is no bugger's putting a cosy/topper/decoration on that.
There're one or two pillarbox-type ones out in the sticks that have been cosied. We see them on our rides.

I'd like to take photos but they're in places too dangerous to be loitering. Dunno how people managed to fit the things on them, let alone even post their uncles' birthday cards in them.

In a similar vein-

Naughty knitted figures with full frontal nudity spark controversy at village café

The handcrafted creations, the product of The Hive cafe and haberdashery's weekly knitting circle in Shepton Mallet,

The risque collection, including a well-endowed policeman, vicar, Rastafarian, bearded man, and a woman, was showcased in the window of the cafe.

Predictably, there has been outrage.

Owner Mike Alford has responded to the uproar by covering up the figures, while supporters have launched a campaign dubbed 'Free the Hive Five', advocating for their return. These characters were the work of The Hive's Thursday night knitting group, with Sandra Witcombe, the creative force behind them, stating: "It was just a bit of fun, a bit of a laugh for the people of Shepton. They are actually quite difficult to make, it can take hours.”

"The private parts are easy but the rest of it and the construction can take a long time. All the genitals have to be the same size, you have to knit it to the pattern so they are all equal, nobody is made to feel inadequate."

The five figures were created as a fundraiser for the Dorset and Wiltshire Air Ambulance, attracting many visitors to the cafe. Sandra praised The Hive as a community hub, and said: "It is a wonderful place, so popular and well used by people, anyone can come to the knitting group, there is also crochet and other crafts and the food in the cafe is wonderful. Michael and his mum Marie do a great job, it is a real hub in the High St."

The fate of the five figures is yet to be disclosed, but some locals have said unveiling them could bring joy and support the air ambulance charity. Despite the attention, Sandra confirmed that no further risque knits are on the horizon, and said: "They are just too hard to make, I won't be making any more."
1713955396678.png

In a similar vein-

Naughty knitted figures with full frontal nudity spark controversy at village café

The handcrafted creations, the product of The Hive cafe and haberdashery's weekly knitting circle in Shepton Mallet,

The risque collection, including a well-endowed policeman, vicar, Rastafarian, bearded man, and a woman, was showcased in the window of the cafe.

Predictably, there has been outrage.

View attachment 75921
:rollingw:So the "grandmother" who expressed shock and outrage is worried about her grandchildren? Does she know that they've probably been exposed :evillaugh: to far more explicit things than the nude knitted knobs?

Back