Rats! Rats! Rats!

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Cockroaches, they must offer cockroaches. They could send them in a chocolate box with a cockroach in each of the little paper cups.

In San Francisco years ago I saw a giant cockroach ambling down the sidewalk in the middle of the day. He had the whole sidewalk to himself.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Rats tend to stay within the same 150-to-200-foot diameter, happily gorging, for example, on one restaurant’s garbage their entire life. As those rats ran out of food in the aftermath of nonessential businesses shutting down, they’ve ranged more widely out of hunger. Fyffe says she’s worked with restaurants that have remained open for takeout and seen an influx of rodents. “Those clients have called us and said, ‘We need more control. We’ve never had this many rats!’ And they say, ‘Chicago’s rat population must be soaring,’” she explains. “No, that’s not the issue. You’re the only person on the block putting garbage in the dumpster, so all of the rats, instead of going to 20 dumpsters, they’re all coming to one.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/06/pandemic-rats-urban-wildlife/612775/

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Can't believe everything you read in the Scum. I'd probably go so far as to say you can't believe most of what you read in the Scum.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Well, there is a huge population of them round here. Rats, not Sun journalists. I got the council in and they cleared my house - a month later they are back. Well, not the same ones, obviously. And a couple of the corpses were unusually large.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
18 INCHES!!!!! The reporter was probably using the same ruler he uses to measure his dangler.:D
Most rats are very civilized although they occasionally go a bit o.t.t. when on the piss..
headache rat.jpg

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
As a former keeper of pet rats I was fascinated by a programme on CGTN (Sky 509) about Large African Pouched Rats who have been trained to detect mines in Africa and, recently, Latin America.
They’re are also trained to detect Tuberculosis in sputum samples helping diagnosis and treatment of the disease. Why are there no BCG programmes in Africa?
Really interesting programme about fascinating animal. I will definitely be donating to this programme.
Why don’t we ever see such interesting programmes on Sky or BBC news?

https://www.apopo.org/en

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of playing with a Pouch rat a few years ago, chunky little chaps.:)
One of my ratties was able to detect oat bikkies at six feet, and then remove them to a safe place.:thought:

bikkirat.JPG

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
More wonderful rats. Doesn't he look cute?!

This juvenile Key Largo woodrat was captured and released in Crocodile Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Key Largo, Florida, as part of long-term monitoring efforts.
MICHAEL COVE
Florida woodrat nests are laced with antibiotic-producing bacteria
By Stephenie LivingstonSep. 15, 2020 , 4:10 PM

Key Largo woodrats—small rodents found only in the Florida Keys—build their nests in old cars, abandoned jet skis, and tiny plastic “houses” scattered throughout some of the last remaining forest on their namesake island. The dwellings, covered in feces and urine, seemed potentially risky places to live. Now, a new study suggests the opposite: Not only are the nests free of common rodent diseases, but they are also chock-full of antibiotic-producing bacteria.

This may be the first time such bacteria have been found in wild mammal nests, says microbial ecologist Megan Thoemmes, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, San Diego, and lead author of a new study. That makes the 1-meter-high nests a potential new source of antibiotics, she says. “It’s a pretty incredibly unique environment.”

The study is part of a growing field of interest in antibiotic-producing bacteria found in the normal flora of healthy animals, which may help prevent infection by certain pathogens and could one day help humans stay healthy, says Barbara Rehermann, a microbiologist and infectious disease expert at the National Institutes of Health who was not involved in the study. ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...nests-are-laced-antibiotic-producing-bacteria

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A hero rat. Vid at link.

Mine-detecting rat receives prestigious gold medal

A UK veterinary charity, PDSA, has awarded an African giant pouched rat a gold medal for "life-saving devotion to duty." Magawa has sniffed out 39 landmines and 28 unexploded munitions in Cambodia during his career. Trained by the Belgium-registered charity Apopo, so-called 'HeroRATs have been taught to detect landmines and tuberculosis since the 1990s.

Magawa is the first rat to receive the award, which has honoured 30 animals.

Published1 hour ago

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-54294192

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A squirrel is only a Rat with good PR
But thats one Rat with good PR and rightly so.

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Rat-lovers, avert your eyes, there is nothing here for your comfort . . .

Occasional rodent problems made me aware of the videos of Shawn Woods. I have posted links to them on here before and he is a true craftsman, if somewhat obsessively devoted to the subject of mousetraps. His more recent videos have been abridged and self-censored, since Youtube have disallowed him to monetize rodent snuff-movies.

Presumably because of watching a few of his vids, I have recently been receiving in my Youtube in-box an entirely different type of mousetrap video from the Far East, I think, maybe India. These pretend to be research but they focus entirely on home-made glue-traps. Weirdly, they use the term "saved" to describe how many rodents they catch.

They are hideously fascinating studies of the most horrible way to die. Mice trapped on the glue, struggle to free themselves, give up, begin again. Meanwhile, the game seems to be to send in a more vigorous and ravenous tribe of rats, who waste no time in getting down to the business of cannibalism. I had assumed that this well-known aspect of trapped rodent behaviour took some time to show itself. Yet they seem to turn to it within a minute or two. Some are pixellated, where gnawed entrails stick to the glue and where legs are denuded of flesh. There are soixante-neuf arrangements of mutual mastication, trios, like the Legs of Man and unholy orgies of polymorphous munching. All achieved by the simple application of glue to cardboard.

I am fairly certain, by the way the mice or rats arrive, that these are not videos of pest-control. They are a new form of blood-sport. You should certainly not watch one or you will buy a season ticket to Hell. Ban them now! :popc:

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Here's a rat who's on our side:
News story

Magawa, the landmine-hunting hero rat! They've given him a little ratty medal! Check him out on the video (to which the obvious punchline is lacking).

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
The Eagle Claw Mouse Trap of 1877.

I suppose this would serve rats, just as well. It looks rather like a fancy light-fitting but the "shade" consists of eight spring-loaded razor-sharp spikes. The rodent has to reach up to take the bait; as the video makes clear, it needs to be suspended at the right height, which may have militated against its general use. Extracting the victim from the trap may also have been a messy business.

Mr Woods assures us the kill is very quick. If not, I suppose you could play Nero, douse it in tallow and use it as a torch! :evil:

With supporting feature: How a Baby Mouse Killed its Own Mother in a Magnetic Trap. :oops:

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I wonder if rats are able to get their hair done during the lockdown?

Rats with poisonous hairdos live surprisingly sociable private lives

Crested rats don’t just chew tree bark that’s poisonous enough to kill an elephant. The rabbit-sized rodents dribble and lick the toxic drool into their long rat fluff for a weaponized hairdo. Yet these dangerous rats, which scientists assumed were loners, turn out to have a close and cuddly family life. They even purr.

Chewing on bark or other parts of East Africa’s arrow poison trees gives the rats toxic saliva to apply to specialized zones of fur. The toxins sink in to porous, easily detached hairs on the rat’s flanks. Any predator foolish enough to bite a Lophiomys imhausi gets a hairy mouthful of bitter toxins that human poachers use on arrows for hunting big game.

The rats “have the personality of something poisonous,” says ecologist Sara Weinstein, who studied them during a Smithsonian fellowship at the Mpala Research Center in Kenya. “They can run quickly if they feel like it, but they don’t typically.” The rats are more likely to jog away from trouble or stand their ground, hissing, growling and grunting.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/rats-poisonous-hair-fur-africa-tree-toxins-social-lives