• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rats! Rats! Rats!

macrosblack said:
rynner2 said:
We already have a thread on Rats! here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 924#161924

The OP says According to tonight's Reporting Scotland "nobody is ever further than 10 feet away from a rat". They are very common!

Yep I have heard of that. I used to state this same fact in one of my previous job roles - Personal Development Officer. You always came across the "Im not gunna do this course. Im a victim and have rights. I dont want to work etc" I recall once scoffing to a colleague that such individuals are closer to rats then the rest of us - in their case the rat is digesting inside their stomach!

:D

Reminds of a course I didn't want to do, I wanted to work instead! It was one of those gibberish courses nothing to do with development but full of US new management speak. I along with an Asst Secretary General managed to avoid the last 2 days of the course.

Anyway, get a Jack Russell but don't set targets, outcomes or define stakeholders*. Just let the dog get on with the job.

*Never refer to a Romanian as a stakeholder.

BlackPeter said:
The stupid legend (to give it mildly!) that you are never more than 10 feet from a rat has long been debunked (think about it! it's obvious rubbish!) the only source for it being traceable to an unsupported speech by a 1950's MP. THIS IS WELL KNOWN!!!

I've only ever heard it said about London......where it probably is true!

CarlosTheDJ said:
BlackPeter said:
The stupid legend (to give it mildly!) that you are never more than 10 feet from a rat has long been debunked (think about it! it's obvious rubbish!) the only source for it being traceable to an unsupported speech by a 1950's MP. THIS IS WELL KNOWN!!!

A DJ might drive rats away.

ramonmercado said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
BlackPeter said:

A DJ might drive rats away.

Would other smart clothing do the job? ;)

I can obtain a Yorshire Terrier if that helps :) Heard that they where once bred to catch things in holes.

I can obtain a Yorshire Terrier if that helps :) Heard that they where once bred to catch things in hole

(and the little ruddy thing has just played the piano on my laptop:D )

Must be a sign! :)

When I was at college a few years back, I saw a bloody great rat and being the conscientious person, told the school about it. After a bit of a chat with my house matron she told me that a few years previous they had had rentokil in who basically did nothing apart from ask for more money - bear in mind the school is in the middle of the countryside and is massive so may well be outside of their remit as it were, so they asked a local man for his advice. He told them not to worry it's just the latest army to travel across the countryside and they'd be gone soon enough when they realised there wasn't enough food for them! He said that out in the sticks rats travel around overnight in their thousands, looking for food, settle somewhere til it is exhausted and then move on - the idea of a rat infestation isn't normally true.
I told friends this is in the pub a little while ago and they thought I was talking rubbish until the landlord told us how he'd been walking down a quiet country lane on the IOW and suddenly been overtaken by literally thousands of rats and how he had to climb a tree to escape them!

My stepfather saw a rat swarm one night driving through the countryside in Somerset, they were streaming out of one hedge and across the road then through another hedge, although he has a rat phobia he respects nature and waited and let them past then drove on when they had gone.

Also the rat jumping at your face legend comes from black rats not common brown rats, this species will fly at a human and attack them. I've heard if women who keep male black rats as pets the rat will attack any human male who comes near, maybe they have no idea there is a size difference?

I heard the reason rats jump at you is because they are aiming for the light behind you to escape, makes sense I suppose...

I had what I thought was a mouse in my kitchen a few years back. Saw the cereal boxes moving, so thought I'd try and lift the box and slam an ice cream container over the damn thing.

Picked up the box and there was a rat staring up at me. It certainly leapt at me; ran part way up my arm before jumping behind the cooker. I couldn't swear that it was going for my face, but it certainly felt that way. I'd jumped backwards a couple of feet when I saw what it was, so it had to run at me out of choice; it didn't take the nearest escape route. The room was very brightly lit, so I can't imagine it was jumping at the light or anything like that.

Was a bloody horrible experience anyway.

Domesric rats = lovely, wild rats = scary!

Rats are aggressive and courageous. My wife didn't like me killing them (especially after the dustbin episode) so we experimented with a number of humane traps. I've been attacked - bitten to the bone - by a rat with its front legs stuck to a sticky 'trap'. They don't back down.

Eventually we had to call for the experts - at least whatever they use to kill them doesn't result in any visible dead bodies.

Rats in Crufts-style competition in Derbyshire

A club is holding a Crufts-style contest for rats at a Derbyshire village.
Lisa Harries, from The Midlands Rat Club, said specimens from across the UK had been entered into the contest at a village hall in Willington.
She said the rats were judged on a number of categories including appearance, colour and friendliness to find various winners.
"The show is basically a miniature Crufts," Ms Harries said.

"The rats are judged on what they look like, friendliness, their colours and markings because there are hundreds of different varieties," Ms Harries said.
"The judges place them in positions accordingly, the main award is the best in show winner.
"The National Pet Society sets out guidelines to follow, to choose the best variety, which is like a dog breed."

Ms Harries added that the rats, which are kept in specially sized tanks during the show, do not deserve their dirty reputation.
"They spend most of their time washing and grooming their coats... they're very clean animals.
"They're also very intelligent, a lot of people think they're wild, disgusting and carry diseases, but they're actually miniature cats and dogs."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de ... e-16996418

I should add I have no actual dislike for rats, but you have to defend your living space! They eat _anything_. (Book bindings, for example)

Yes they will eat anyhing including computer cords and towels. I found that Talon pellets worked very quickly as it takes just one meal to kill them.
Since we've had problems with feral cats haven't seen any rodents so that's one good thing I suppose.

Darn. Killed a mouse last night. I've had one in the kitchen for a while and was trying to get him in a humane trap, (I'm assuming it was a he because there was still only one!) but somehow he got half in and half out and broke his neck.

Don't know why it bothers me, after all I had steak for tea last night, but there we are. If he hadn't been defecating all round the kitchen I'd have thought of him as a pet.

Cochise said:
Don't know why it bothers me, after all I had steak for tea last night, but there we are. If he hadn't been defecating all round the kitchen I'd have thought of him as a pet.

Some pets do that. :)

Falmouth rise in rats blamed on warm winter and rubbish
7:10am Sunday 1st April 2012 in Falmouth/Penryn

COMPOST bins, bird feed and mild winters are just part of the reason behind the sudden rise in rat sightings in Falmouth and Penryn according to one pest control expert.
Bill Mossman of Terminate Pest Control in Penryn contacted the Packet after reading last week’s story about the number of rodents being spotted in the area.

He said: “Mild winters allow a high survival rate of both young and old rodents, as rats can breed all year round prolifically.
"There is an abundance of food available and refuse, not to mention an enormous supply of wild bird feed, generously supplied in gardens around the country.

“Shelter for the rodents is also readily available in the form of compost piles and bins, or rat hotels as we like to call them.
“Sheds, outbuildings, decking and any other area a rat may gain access to hide in or burrow below, and as long as there is a source of water in the equation, it is little wonder the rat is thriving.
“He is one of the most adaptable and resourceful mammals on the planet.”

Mr Mossman added that all homeowners have a legal duty to ensure rodents are controlled on their property.
He said: “Unless we call clean up our own act and take responsibility for control, Rattus Norvegicus (Brown Rat), will continue to thrive.”

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... d_rubbish/

rynner2 said:
Falmouth rise in rats blamed on warm winter and rubbish
And another reason...

Rat warning as sewers flush out pests
By Peter Jackson, BBC News

Health experts have warned homeowners to take measures to stop "huge numbers" of rats flushed out by floods from re-establishing themselves.
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) said people clearing up after the heavy rain should block up holes and clear up waste food.

Rats washed out of sewers are infesting homes amid more daytime sightings.
The pest-control industry estimates the number of call-outs to rat-catchers in flood-hit areas is up by a quarter.
CIEH director Julie Barratt said: "We know huge numbers have been washed out... where sewers have flooded, and there have been a lot of rat casualties.
"When people are cleaning up, block up holes and don't leave food lying around."

She said rats are intelligent, adaptable creatures able to replenish their numbers very quickly, and on the lookout to exploit new opportunities.
"It's really important people remember when throwing food out, to try to keep it out of the way of pest species," she said.
"The more we can do to keep them dislodged and on the hoof, the better it will be."

The CIEH has also warned local councils against cutting pest control services to save cash, saying too many treated pest control as a "treatment response" rather than as a potential public health threat.

The National Pest Technicians Association (NPTA) said rat sightings have risen as the washed-out, nocturnal rodents emerge in the daytime, but that does not mean total numbers have increased.

NPTA vice-chairman Adam Hawley told the BBC: "We're having an incredible summer of rain, and the sewers and drains are not coping with the amount of flood water that inevitably flushes the rats to higher ground.
"With that, rats are trying to find some sort of dwelling to live in - whether they then try to move into people's garages or sheds, or into people's lofts to get away from the flood water.
"The knock-on effect is, potentially, that people's dwellings are getting rat infestations."

He said the heavy rain has led to more daytime sightings, but despite the public's perception, that does not mean the population has increased.

The NPTA represents 900 pest control companies and conducts an annual rodent survey, the last of which was published a couple of months ago before the recent deluge.
Mr Hawley said he expected the number of call-outs dealing with rats in flood-hit regions such as Devon to have risen by around 25%.

Brown rats are one of the planet's most serious mammalian pests, ruining crops and harbouring disease.
Expert jumpers, climbers and swimmers, a single pair can multiply to 200 within a year.

A spokesman for Rentokil, Britain's biggest pest-control company, said it has seen a "small increase" in call-outs, but added that most of its work is for business rather than consumers.
He said he believed the rat population was generally growing, blaming the greater availability of food - from takeaway wrappers and leftover rubbish - coupled with generally milder winters, which helps breeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18793045

Pet rats are sweet natured creatures, very fond of humans who treat them kindly. This is the result of many generations(rat generations are short) of breeding for docility.

White rats come from Philadelphia, where they were discovered in a disused section of colonial era sewer. Specimens were sent to the Franklin Insitiute, where they soon became experimental animals, but other 'fancy' rats were kept and bred for quite some time.

Cats cannot handle full grown rats, though they will eat their litters and supress the numbers.

It takes a dog or a ferret to kill an adult rat. My Staffordshire terrier often kills a few when we go to Baltimore for visits-these rats are very bold, it isn't good for them.

For those who say rats carry rabies, there has never been a recorded case of rabies in a mouse or rat.

I had a cat that could catch a full grown wild rat, he was an Oriental Havana and that type of cat have very large claws and teeth compared to non-pedigree cats so I suppose they must have given him an edge.
Rats aren't good rabies vectors, for one if a rat is injured in a way that would cause it to contract rabies, e.g. a fox bite, that injury is likely to kill them before they can become infectious. Also they have a dry bite- their incisors are carried outside the wet part of their mouth and are not coated in potentially infectious saliva.

We had a rat in the staff canteen at work which is located in the cellar of the building, of course my workmates and I were blamed for not cleaning the place properly when really it was obvious to me the poor thing had been driven in by the torrential rain that day.

Some cats are good rat catchers, I almost forgot that old Tom at the Pimlico racetrack in Baltimore.

Said moggy was so old and arthritic he would have to stretch for fifteen minutes to get limber, then stroll down to the water trough to catch, skin and devour his breakfast rat.

But most house cats are baffled by a full grown rat-they will even play tag with them-I've seen it

One great enemy of the rats are squirrels. they eat the food the rats like and are safer, because they can climb tree.

As Carrie Bradshaw once said, "What's a squirrel but a rat with a cuter outfit?"

Be kind to the squeaky people, many biologists speculate that the next biological era may be "The Age of Rodents"

SQUEEK!

I grew up in rural Africa, and now I'm grown up, it amazes me how incredibly mobile (how does a rat get out there?!) and resilient is your rat. When I was about 7, my old man told me to stay out of the (farm) buildings for a while, ostensibly because of the rats. I remember thinking this was strange because rats were fairly harmelss. Besides, why, if there were rats in the barns, didn't he let the dogs in there after them? He'd go out at night with a lamp and a 20-bore shotgun instead, or put poison down.

So, naturally, me and my mates would sneak in there, me with my .22 air rifle. One of the few times my father ever tanned my hide was over a rat - I shot one one day and was very proud. Look Pa, I said. Wham! Stay out of the barns!

A kid's instinct told me that this was a bit bizarre, but long story short, he wasn't concerned about the rats, he was concerned about the snakes that the rats attracted. He was afraid that I'd walk in on a mamba or a puff adder or something.

Rat race: Desperate city offers cell phone for every 60 rats nabbed
http://rt.com/news/rats-cell-phones-exchange-913/
Published: 03 November, 2012, 16:11
Edited: 03 November, 2012, 21:28

It’s probably the strangest bounty ever invented, but it seems desperate times call for desperate measures in the South African township of Alexandria. City officials are offering a mobile phone for every 60 rats caught.

The bizarre new program is an attempt to rid Alexandria of a massive rat infestation in its streets.

The 100-year-old township has become a breeding ground for the little critters, with plenty of illegal dumping and sewage leakages.

Most of the rat action happens during the night, with reports of children’s limbs and fingers being gnawed on whilst sleeping, according to TheSouthAfrican.com.

While there’s no need to motivate potential bounty hunters to catch – and most likely kill – the wanted, it’s killing enough of the vermin that authorities are hoping for.

Although catching 60 rats is no mean feat in itself, authorities may not have thought through the logistics of people delivering such a quantity of rodents – dead or alive.

Also not entirely clear is what kind of mobile phone is on offer. The catch may be a big one, but one is unlikely to get the latest smartphone – even for a rat premium!
The initiative is bound to spark some outcry among animal rights groups, but it already seems to have taken off.

One resident told local media that he had already earned himself two phones, “I’m hoping I can get one for each member of my family.”

Rat in theatre leads to 40 ops cancelled at King's Mill

Operations at a Nottinghamshire hospital were cancelled after a rat was found in an operating theatre.
A spokeswoman from King's Mill Hospital, in Mansfield, said the rodent had entered the theatre last Monday night when the room was not in use.

Pest controllers were called into the hospital and as a result, about 40 operations had to be cancelled.
Hospital bosses have apologised for the "inconvenience" to patients and said the hospital was now fully operational.

Karen Tomlinson, director of operations at the hospital, said she was shocked to learn evidence of a rodent had been found in an operating theatre.
She said: "As soon as we became aware of this fact the following morning, we immediately took steps to thoroughly clean the area and called in external pest control experts to eradicate the problem.
"Whilst this work was under way, it was therefore necessary to postpone a small number of operations and we have apologised to any patients affected for the inconvenience caused."
Ms Tomlinson added rats had not been found anywhere else on the premises.

Rats can spread salmonella and carry the potentially fatal Weil's disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-20218668

South Georgia rat cull begins again
By Lorna Stewart, BBC Radio Science Unit

An "alien invader" eradication scheme of unprecedented scope will resume on Friday on the sub-Antarctic island of South Georgia.
Three former air ambulance helicopters will begin dropping 100 million poisonous pellets in a bid to eradicate brown rats from the island.

The rats, which first arrived in the 18th Century as stowaways on sealing ships, are a threat to native species.

The three-month mission is the second phase of a four-year project.
The first phase saw successful extermination of brown rats from a much smaller portion of South Georgia in 2011; the second aims to clear more than half of the remaining area.

Brown rats are an "invasive species" in South Georgia, and with no natural predators on the island the population exploded soon after their arrival.
Now their appetite for the eggs and chicks of ground-nesting birds such as the South Georgia pipit and pintail is threatening the survival of these endemic species.

The helicopters will criss-cross the island, distributing the bait pellets with mathematical precision to cover each and every square metre.
Every single rat must be eradicated for the programme to be a success, said project leader Prof Tony Martin from the University of Dundee, who spoke to BBC News before setting off.
"Killing 99.999% is a failure. If we don't get every last one, we may as well not have gone there in the first place," he said.
"We have to eradicate, not control, them."

Clearing an entire island of an invasive species is hugely ambitious but the terrain of South Georgia allows the team to work in stages. Glaciers, which the rodents will not travel across, cover much of the island - meaning that the rat colonies live in isolated pockets and can be tackled separately.
But time is of the essence. The glaciers are retreating and if the separate colonies are allowed to mingle, eradication will become much more difficult.

So far Prof Martin's team have faced gale-force winds and blizzards, but with the weather improving they are reported to be ready to resume the largest-ever species eradication project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21629737

Careful now. These settlers should have rights as well. Perhaps the Argentine govt will come out in support of them.

Yes, they will now have to get rid of reindeer, tourists and absolutley anything that dares to flower.

And mice.

Back