Rendlesham Forest Incident

Ian Ridpath

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The British head of scientific intelligence, R.V. Jones, often quoted the unreliability of shipboard sightings of mines at sea. He found that the only reliable element in such accounts was whether the mine was seen to the port or starboard.
And he also wrote this very perceptive article about UFOs in general, back in goodness-knows-when, that was included as an Appendix in the Condon Report of 1968. And here we are, over half a century on, and nothing has changed.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
And he also wrote this very perceptive article about UFOs in general, back in goodness-knows-when, that was included as an Appendix in the Condon Report of 1968. And here we are, over half a century on, and nothing has changed.
That would be Appendix V - The Natural Philosophy of Flying Saucers. It's a very good essay on the ways that observer errors and biases can distort or nullify observations of strange or remarkable things as well as the interpretation of such observations. There's even an extended discussion of the limits of reliability in applying Occam's Razor.

It's accessible at: http://www.project1947.com/shg/condon/appndx-v.html

Carl Grove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That would be Appendix V - The Natural Philosophy of Flying Saucers. It's a very good essay on the ways that observer errors and biases can distort or nullify observations of strange or remarkable things as well as the interpretation of such observations. There's even an extended discussion of the limits of reliability in applying Occam's Razor.

It's accessible at: http://www.project1947.com/shg/condon/appndx-v.html
Jones also wrote a fascinating autobiography where he rather hints at the possible origins of the UFO legend in experimental developments. He was also a close friend of Robertson of Robertson Committee fame.

dannycheveaux1

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I noticed no posts had appeared in the Rendlesham Forest Incident section today. Has it finally died a death?

Oops! Spoke too soon!

Carl Grove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I noticed no posts had appeared in the Rendlesham Forest Incident section today. Has it finally died a death?

Oops! Spoke too soon!
I think it's ended in a stalemate between the ET theory, the sceptical approach, and the black project cover-up notion. I suspect that the gamekeeper's daughter holds the key...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You know that feeling when you have a nagging doubt about overlooking something blindingly obvious...

Our forest clearing, where events unfolded that first early morning...

Do we know definitively if that was a 'new clearing', i.e. a small area which had only recently been cleared of trees?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Our forest clearing, where events unfolded that first early morning...
Do we know definitively if that was a 'new clearing', i.e. a small area which had only recently been cleared of trees?
Considering the circumstances of the first night's escapades, I have to wonder whether anyone should be confident the clearing identified later as the key location was in fact a place the guys actually visited that night.

Ian Ridpath

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Considering the circumstances of the first night's escapades, I have to wonder whether anyone should be confident the clearing identified later as the key location was in fact a place the guys actually visited that night.
What seems to have happened is that someone went out the following morning, scouted around, found what looked a likely place, and declared it The Site. They then marked it with sticks, called out the local police to look at it, and took a few photographs. Since nothing actually landed in Rendlesham Forest there cannot, of course, have been any real 'site'.

Last edited:

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Since nothing actually landed in Rendlesham Forest there cannot, of course, have been any real 'site'.

Ian, you lie!

1624443618330.jpeg

;)