• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

I'd assume the HSE would have to attend and investigate because of the seriousness of the accident.
It is extremely rare for the HSE to rock up following such an incident. If there is a fatality they will always be there, but like a lot of government bodies they are under resourced and rarely have the time to turn up even when a member of the public is injured.
In this instance a complaint was made by a friend of the IP to City of London Police. If The HSE were aware of the incident over the easter weekend it would likely be that the police have passed it on to them.
As of yet the HSE have not materialised so it is not on their “priority” list, we have reported the incident under RIDDOR so they will be aware of it by now.

Catholic priest burns to death after spark ignites robes in Easter candle ceremony

Javier Sánchez, known locally as the 'rock priest' for his love of music, erupted in flames when a bowl containing embers set his vestments alight at a convent in the Spanish city of Zaragoza

A simple candle spark then made contact with his vestment and the blaze spread rapidly, leaving him with 50 per cents burns all over his body. He spent four days in intensive care before tragically passing away from multiple organ failure.

"The priest tried to protect the nuns of the convent when embers lit up in the basin that was used [for the fire] and that ultimately caused his death. Apparently a flammable substance had been used to start the fire. [The Easter Vigil] was held inside the convent," a source told El Heraldo de Aragón.

The well-loved clergyman - who was known as the "rock priest" for his love of guitar-driven music - was presiding over the "blessing of the fire". The ritual is usually held during the Holy Saturday Mass and includes the lighting of the paschal candle. The candle then remains lit for 50 days until the celebration of Pentecost, which marks the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles.

The "rock priest", who served at the Clinical Hospital of Zaragosa in addition to his parish, had composed a number of songs and released three albums over the course of his career. One of his songs "A tu aire" sparked controversey when it was released in 2015 due to a video clip showing him weaing angel wings, shouldering a guitar - the only thing covering his genitals. He was also a talk show host on television.

Tributes have lit up social media since the tragedy. One friend wrote: "He was a very vital and very loved person." The local archbishop released a statement saying: "'It is with pain that we communicate that this morning the priest Javi Sánchez has died. We pray for his eternal rest."
1712354659420.png

Catholic priest burns to death after spark ignites robes in Easter candle ceremony

Javier Sánchez, known locally as the 'rock priest' for his love of music, erupted in flames when a bowl containing embers set his vestments alight at a convent in the Spanish city of Zaragoza

A simple candle spark then made contact with his vestment and the blaze spread rapidly, leaving him with 50 per cents burns all over his body. He spent four days in intensive care before tragically passing away from multiple organ failure.

View attachment 75398
Awful incident. I've always wondered why, given the flammable nature of flames, churches have not set people on fire before or burned down more regularly.

Awful incident. I've always wondered why, given the flammable nature of flames, churches have not set people on fire before or burned down more regularly.
Yup, there are always candles burning. This church also had an ember bowl which to over-cautious old me sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I've heard of nasty incidents where kids have been set on fire during Nativity-type events when wearing sheep costumes.
Adults have had similar accidents because the costumes were polyester duvets with the cotton cover removed.

When I worked at the local magistrates' courts I saw a case where a youth jokily set light to another lad's sheep costume and nearly killed him, and the same happened at an RAF party.

Here's a Nativity one -

Primary school fined £35,000 after boy severely burnt at carol concert

St Thomas Becket Catholic Primary School was found guilty of health and safety failings by a jury at Southwark Crown Court earlier in June.

In December 2019 the boy, then aged seven, had been in a line of pupils each holding a lit candle in Our Lady of the Annunciation Church in Bingham Road, Croydon, when his homemade sheep costume caught fire, the court heard.

I'm wondering what fabric the Spanish priest was wearing that went up like a fireball.

Yes we do but churches in particular seem to get left alone.
Not really. The most obvious sign is the amount of churchyards that have removed all their tombstones or laid them flat. Another, less obvious, sign are tenebrae services that no longer end in near complete darkness.

I'm thinking more of the flammable issue and all the trip hazards.
The minimum height for a step is 4''/100mm (although I wouldn't put one in less than 5'') and I quite often see them lower, especially when going into shops on high streets that are on a slope (as one side is much lower than the other).

I suppose churches have a lot of very worn steps that have been in for hundreds of years.

Here in the UK all children's clothing, including fancy dress, and all furnishing and bedding fabrics on sale must be flame-resistant. This means the items won't easily catch alight. People shouldn't be dying in flames.

One assumes the same doesn't apply to Spanish ecclesiastical wear. Even with the possibility of exposure to church candles and ember bowls.

There's a scene in The Sopranos where one of the Boss's mistresses wears a nylon kimono while cooking. It catches fire and she runs round the kitchen screaming.
I've done similar, brr, luckily coming to no harm. Scary.

Having collected descriptions of so many flammable home-made sheep costume incidents, I'm now alert to the dreadful possibilities. Anyone proposing glueing cotton wool on themselves or unpicking a duvet is getting a big Jumanji NOOO! from me.

Here in the UK all children's clothing, including fancy dress, and all furnishing and bedding fabrics on sale must be flame-resistant. This means the items won't easily catch alight. People shouldn't be dying in flames.

One assumes the same doesn't apply to Spanish ecclesiastical wear. Even with the possibility of exposure to church candles and ember bowls.

There's a scene in The Sopranos where one of the Boss's mistresses wears a nylon kimono while cooking. It catches fire and she runs round the kitchen screaming.
I've done similar, brr, luckily coming to no harm. Scary.
Charities won't even accept soft furniture if it isn't labelled appropriately and you can see why. I'm also glad that the days of the chip pan are long gone, the dire consequences of the misuse of such I had to see many times, including what was the shadow of a pair of young twins (who hid in a cupboard when the chip pan caught fire), and suffocated.

Charities won't even accept soft furniture if it isn't labelled appropriately and you can see why. I'm also glad that the days of the chip pan are long gone, the dire consequences of the misuse of such I had to see many times, including what was the shadow of a pair of young twins (who hid in a cupboard when the chip pan caught fire), and suffocated.
Chip pans, yup. The ex tried to kill us all several times with those. :mad:

Furniture - you'll remember the Woolworths fire in Manchester, May 1979, which killed 10 people. They died of poisoning from the burning furniture foam. The brought about a change in the law.

Back