• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

Man electrocuted in ‘ball of fire’ on top of Eurostar train heading to UK

The victim, who has not been identified yet, was seen running across the tracks of platforms 12 and 13 at Gare du Nord just before 10pm on Thursday.

‘He got on to the roof of a Eurostar wagon that was motionless,’ an investigating source said. ‘He had earlier been seen crossing nearby tracks, not realising how dangerous the situation was.’
The tragedy was captured on CCTV from the Ile-de-France networks at the scene, according to Le Parisien.

The victim could be seen standing up before his body was engulfed in flames in a few seconds.

‘He stood up, and then there was a ball of flame,’ said the source.

‘Emergency services were at the scene pretty much instantly, but they were unable to save the man, who was left unrecognisable.’

Early police enquiries pointed to the man being an immigrant to France, who had been sleeping rough in Paris while working out how to get to the UK.

Billionaire shipping mogul drowned in her Tesla

Angela Chao, the sister-in-law of Mitch McConnell, died last month after she reversed into a body of water on a private ranch in Texas.

The 50-year-old was driving home in her Model X from an evening with friends when she attempted a three-point turn accidentally put her car into reverse.

But the type of glass used on the windows and the sunroof is nearly impossible to break underwater, according to the American Automobile Association.
One friend even jumped into the pond to attempt to rescue her before emergency services arrived 24 minutes after they were called.

They found the vehicle completely submerged, with some even being able to stand on the roof of the car.

But dive teams had to be brought in along with a tow truck – which did not have a cable long enough to reach the car.

After the Tesla was pulled from the water, hundreds of gallons rushed out as the doors were opened.

Angela was found unresponsive, with paramedics trying to revive her for 43 minutes.
1710080330868.png

Just as I was about to leave work on Thursday, all geared up for the long Easter weekend, a piece of edge protection came off of one of our sites during an extreme gust of wind and struck a member of the public. The falling item isn’t heavy, but it caused a minor head wound and the shock brought on some intermittent weird owl like screeching from the injured person. My colleague who looks after that site is on leave so I did the honourable thing and stepped in for him. Got a message a short while ago to inform me that the HSE will be attending site tomorrow to investigate.
I do so hope my colleague is back. With month end reporting due the last thing I need is the HSE.

Just as I was about to leave work on Thursday, all geared up for the long Easter weekend, a piece of edge protection came off of one of our sites during an extreme gust of wind and struck a member of the public. The falling item isn’t heavy, but it caused a minor head wound and the shock brought on some intermittent weird owl like screeching from the injured person. My colleague who looks after that site is on leave so I did the honourable thing and stepped in for him. Got a message a short while ago to inform me that the HSE will be attending site tomorrow to investigate.
I do so hope my colleague is back. With month end reporting due the last thing I need is the HSE.

Ir's The Owlwoman! She caused the accident!

Now would be the perfect time to throw a sickie for tomorrow. I think we can all agree you've been looking a bit pail today. Put your feet up and watch some films instead and get some rest. Mention the vomiting and diarrhoea.

Now would be the perfect time to throw a sickie for tomorrow. I think we can all agree you've been looking a bit pail today. Put your feet up and watch some films instead and get some rest. Mention the vomiting and diarrhoea.
That is an extremely good idea, but means the burden will land on someone else and my stupid conscience and work ethic won’t permit me the luxury.
How I wish I was more like some of the others who couldn’t give a flying f**k.

That is an extremely good idea, but means the burden will land on someone else and my stupid conscience and work ethic won’t permit me the luxury.
How I wish I was more like some of the others who couldn’t give a flying f**k.
OK but don't sign anything unless you have to. If you do, do a random swirly scrawl that looks nothing at all like your signature and don't tell anyone you've done that. Business's look for someone to blame because shit rolls downhill so don't let that be you.

Seriously, I'd mention the vomiting and diarrhoea. Then a senior above you will have to deal with it. I hope the woman will be OK but it wasn't your fault so you've got nothing to feel guilty about.

OK but don't sign anything unless you have to. If you do, do a random swirly scrawl that looks nothing at all like your signature and don't tell anyone you've done that. Business's look for someone to blame because shit rolls downhill so don't let that be you.
As it wasn’t my site I think anyone would have difficulty pinning it down to me. And every project plan has the Project Directors name on it as the “Responsible Person“, duly accompanied by his signature. I don’t get paid enough to put my head above the parapet.

As it wasn’t my site I think anyone would have difficulty pinning it down to me. And every project plan has the Project Directors name on it as the “Responsible Person“, duly accompanied by his signature. I don’t get paid enough to put my head above the parapet.
I take it the company have a proper RAMS?

The Project Director needs to attend instead then. What's he like?. Do you think he'll do that or is he the type to throw someone else under the bus tomorrow so save his own skin?. I'd phone in sick and cook your Mrs some more good food instead. Not your problem or your fault. You don't need or want your name attached to something like this.

The Project Director needs to attend instead then. What's he like?. Do you think he'll do that or is he the type to throw someone else under the bus tomorrow so save his own skin?. I'd phone in sick and cook your Mrs some more good food instead. Not your problem or your fault. You don't need or want your name attached to something like this.
The first thing H & S do is to find out what happened. Accidents can sometimes be unavoidable caused by circumstances no one could have foreseen. It's not always a case of being thrown under the bus.

I take it the company have a proper RAMS?
The RAMS for the installation of the edge protection would have been approved and signed off several months ago. The first job for the investigator is to check whether there is a record of inspection and maintenance compliant with the Work at Height Regulations. Given the way we do things I would be comfortable that this is covered and available for inspection.

The first thing H & S do is to find out what happened. Accidents can sometimes be unavoidable caused by circumstances no one could have foreseen. It's not always a case of being thrown under the bus.
I was about to add: Who filled out the accident report book and was it done on the same day as the indecent, signed, dated and timed. That's also what they'll want to know.

I’m a Chartered Safety Professional (CMIOSH) so it would be expected of me to support and advise the PD if my buddy isn’t back. I have a responsibility to ensure the company doesn’t end up under the bus if the facts show we as principal contractor are not responsible.

I’m a Chartered Safety Professional (CMIOSH) so it would be expected of me to support and advise the PD if my buddy isn’t back. I have a responsibility to ensure the company doesn’t end up under the bus if the facts show we as principal contractor are not responsible.
Good luck.

I was about to add: Who filled out the accident report book and was it done on the same day as the indecent, signed, dated and timed. That's also what they'll want to know.
Our site nurse attended to the IP initially but a crew of paramedics took over after being called by the public.
You don’t see many accident books these days as you can record electronically and they are there to record any accidents or injuries in the work place. You wouldn’t necessarily cover a member of the public within the public demise, you would just need to ensure the incident is recorded. I circulated an immediate alert to all and sundry within twenty minutes of the incident occurring so there is an audit trail showing the initial incident has been recorded.

Man electrocuted in ‘ball of fire’ on top of Eurostar train heading to UK

The victim, who has not been identified yet, was seen running across the tracks of platforms 12 and 13 at Gare du Nord just before 10pm on Thursday.

‘He got on to the roof of a Eurostar wagon that was motionless,’ an investigating source said. ‘He had earlier been seen crossing nearby tracks, not realising how dangerous the situation was.’
Happens surprisngly often. There was a spate of it in the UK a couple of decades ago with thieves trying to nick stuff, primarily from trains carrying new cars - radios and such I guess. And then there is the idiot train surfers.

Definitely not a nice way to go - but probably worse if you don't quite die.

Our site nurse attended to the IP initially but a crew of paramedics took over after being called by the public.
You don’t see many accident books these days as you can record electronically and they are there to record any accidents or injuries in the work place. You wouldn’t necessarily cover a member of the public within the public demise, you would just need to ensure the incident is recorded. I circulated an immediate alert to all and sundry within twenty minutes of the incident occurring so there is an audit trail showing the initial incident has been recorded.
How's that lady getting on then?. Has her head fallen off yet?.

The Mrs's boss electrocuted one of his groundsmen a couple of days ago. We're not talking a small jolt, he went flying but fortunately he's otherwise OK. The boss has even admitted it in online daily notes though the victim isn't going to put a claim in. So far.

edit: the groundsman was taken to minor injuries in our home town yesterday and has gone to A&E today for his bloods to be done and an X ray. He said the left side of his body had gone numb. He's now thinking about making a claim, the Mrs has screen grabbed the boss's admission.

Last edited:
How's that lady getting on then?. Has her head fallen off yet?.
We’ve heard nothing from her. I expect a letter will arrive within a few weeks from her solicitor demanding big bundles of cash and the hanging, drawing and quartering of some poor innocent we can pin the blame on.
Luckily enough no sign of the HSE today. My Colleague was back from leave today so I have left him to clear up the mess. Problem is he has booked another long weekend starting from this coming Friday.
Guess when the HSE are likely to turn up?

Sounds like you have the short straw

We’ve heard nothing from her. I expect a letter will arrive within a few weeks from her solicitor demanding big bundles of cash and the hanging, drawing and quartering of some poor innocent we can pin the blame on.
Luckily enough no sign of the HSE today. My Colleague was back from leave today so I have left him to clear up the mess. Problem is he has booked another long weekend starting from this coming Friday.
Guess when the HSE are likely to turn up?
This is what I've been trying to warn you about. Shit rolls down hill and they'll all be looking for someone to sign something. Your co worker knows what he's doing.

Shit rolls down hill and they'll all be looking for someone to sign something.
I am more senior than my colleague so the shit can roll his way. And you never want to be on leave when they are looking for someone to blame.

On a more serious note, this is quite minor in comparison to some of the other incidents I have been involved with in recent years.

On my previous project a guy spilt bitumen straight from the melting pot down both arms. Up until then he had quite a nice set of tattoos down both arms. His well meaning colleagues put him in a car and drove him through packed London traffic to a burns unit in Chelsea. They were gridlocked for over an hour, yet there was a perfectly good burns unit a couple of minutes down the road at the Royal London, in Whitechapel.

His employers hadn’t taken heed of the COSHH Assessment, hadn’t provided him with the correct PPE and most importantly he didn’t have the competence to do the job. My accident report was a complete breakdown of all of his employers failures including non compliance with our minimum standards which they had signed up to.

I also told his director of safety he was a complete wanker and told him not to bend over in the prison shower if he dropped the soap.

Back