• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

I must admit it never crossed my mind that it would not be two completely separate systems.
Main chute is on your back, and reserve is on your chest - it is manually deployed by chucking it out in front of you.

Main chute is on your back, and reserve is on your chest - it is manually deployed by chucking it out in front of you.
Now that's what I thought and have seen but it's a few years since I was close enough to a jumper
to notice. with a tandem jump it would likely have to be on the back and likely a modern thing driven
by that it may help keep things neat but could be a step to far.

Not that I will worry about it to much, no intention of ever jumping out of a serviceable aircraft.

Was the photographer rigged for a tandem jump? It looks like he was actually filming another jumper going tandem.

I didn't mean he was rigged for a tandem jump I meant that the idea of having the
emergency in the back pack could have come from tandem jumps,

There is another video where a bungee jumper realizes they forgot to attach the bungee cord a few seconds before the jump.

You may be thinking of poor Yecenia Morales, a first-time bungee jumper who apparently misunderstood the directions being given to another customer by staff. While awaiting her turn she heard the word 'Jump!' and obeyed even though she hadn't been rigged up.

The official cause of death was a heart attack before impact. I found that fishy for several obvious reasons.

No, I wouldn't watch that kind of video. He realizes and grabs the railing.

There is another video where a bungee jumper realizes they forgot to attach the bungee cord a few seconds before the jump.
In the late 1980s, I went through a brief craze of basic rock climbing and abseiling.

Intending to abseil, I once very carefully set up my belay (attached the rope securely to the rock) walked to the top of the cliff, turned, and started to lean back then suddenly I realised that I had not clipped myself onto the rope. I had the rope in my hands so was able to steady myself, which is why I'm here to write this today.

On another occasion, I took my mother and stepfather to the same location because they wanted to try abseiling. The usual problem with abseiling is that a first timer is reluctant to trust the rope, and doesn't lean out far enough. I therefore said to my stepfather, "Lean out as far as you can..." and he did. When his body reached horizontal, there was a "cam action" and he flipped upside down. I was at the top of the cliff, a few metres from him, with the safety rope, so he was safe, if somewhat lacking in dignity: just two legs waving feebly above the edge, with the ropes passing between them.

My mother, always cool in a crisis, was at the bottom shouting, "Save him!"

I should have learned, but didn't. I later took them kayaking and was teaching my stepfather a support stroke: a stroke that allows you to lean the kayak without capsizing. "Lean as far as you can," said I. So he did.

I had to swim out to retrieve him, and we never did find his glasses.

My mother, always cool in a crisis, was on the lakeside shouting, "Save him!"

I question how long you'd have between realisation of your impending death and the ability to manoever.
At terminal velocity - from 'plane to impact - you'd have enough time to comprehend your fate and act.
"Based on air resistance, for example, the terminal speed of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (i.e., face down) free fall position is about 55 m/s (180 ft/s)." (Wikipedia)

Since xmas I've had pain across the front of my ribs. Techy thought it might be serious so he badgered me to ring the NHS, which I did, and the triage nurse called me back today.
Together we solved the problem and I am assured that I'll survive.

Here's what we worked out:
Gave my son in law a pack of Pigs Defy Profanity cards. We played it at xmas with a few drinks. Much funnier than Cards Against Humanity!

Diagnosis: I've pulled a muscle from belly laughing. :chuckle:

It's not the fall that kills. It's the sudden stop.
Hmmm, now, I dunno. :thought:

One Yecenia Morales fell to her death during a bungee session in Colombia when she mistakenly jumped too soon.
Her cause of death has been reported as a massive heart attack that she suffered before hitting the ground.

Nah, can't see it. She'd have less than 4 seconds to jump, realise her mistake, panic, have the heart attack, die and then land.
Had she already been taken ill while on the bridge and fallen when she was well into a heart attack?
Poor woman.

Don't such dangerous sports have a form of questioning over health conditions?
I know there's many incidents of heart problems being undetected before a sudden outburst. I could understand it if she was waiting, felt her heart pounding, adrenalin flooding her body, and she'd jumped too soon because she couldn't stand the anticipation. She just happened to do so at the peak of her heart action which caused the attack before impact.

This kind of thing makes me think that somebody - or an organisation - is trying to avoid paying-out a (possible) claim.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Strange shit does happen ... as Forteans can attest to.

Tech boss plunges to his death on stage after cable holding cage he’s in snaps

A US tech boss plunged 15ft to the ground at a celebratory business event after a cable holding a cage he was in snapped.

Sanjay Shah, CEO of Illinois-based revenue management company Vistex, died from his injuries following the big bash to mark 25 years since his company launched in Asia.
The 56-year-old, along with colleague Raju Datla, were about to be lowered onto the stage in a metal cage at Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad, India, on Thursday when the cable snapped.

Video footage shows the two men tumble out just after a voice asks the crowd to put their hands together and fireworks go off

Police said: ‘Suddenly, one of the two wires attached to the cage snapped. Both plunged more than 15 feet and landed on the concrete dais. This caused multiple injuries.’
1705881349455.png

There's a video.

Walking two of the Spaniels this morning I crossed the first half of a split Zebra crossing and whilst standing on the mid way island a kind lady slowed and signalled for me to cross. As I crossed a car came around the adjacent roundabout and rear ended the lady who had stopped for me.
I went over to make sure both parties were not injured and offered my details as a witness (I am a lead accident investigator but not often there at the time an incident occurs).
The lady who stopped for me swapped contact details with me as the lady who rear ended her struggled to get out of her car, eventually having to use the passenger door to exit. She then came over assuring us it was her fault and she took full responsibility.
She looked vaguely familiar and then it clicked…she is my (Boots) Optician. You don’t know how much I had to restrain myself from saying “Should have gone to Specsavers”

Back