• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

It's not complicated to work out that the water being sprayed hundreds of feet in to the air... at a high speed.... tremendous pressure when it comes out the nozzle..... and to do it twice.....

I also think the force would be so great that his face would get no where near the nozzle itself.
Can anyone else feel a Mr Ballen episode coming on? :chuckle:

Jet d'Eau: Man hurt after mounting Geneva's giant fountain

A young man had to be taken to hospital after getting too close to one of Geneva's most famous landmarks - the Jet d'Eau fountain.

The un-named person was hurt after the force of the water threw him into the air before he landed on concrete below.

The state of the man's health is currently unknown.

View attachment 69007
I remember a guy was jet washing the mud off the wheels of a HGV before it pulled off of site when his colleague on the other side of the truck managed to spray him full in the face with a jet of water.
It removed a large area of skin and required hospital treatment.
All those guys now wear full face visors, I have it written into the risk assessments and monitor them for compliance.
The really powerful jet washers that can break up concrete have caused some horrific injuries and the odd fatality. One guy lost a leg when the jet accidentally struck him.

Man hits ceiling in lift plummet

Then falls on 2 others in the lift.

The trio had been going down in the elevator in a block of flats in the city of Changsha, Hunan Province, China, when it came to an unexpected halt on the fourth floor - before suddenly dropping just seconds later.

The end of the clip then shows them on the floor as they tended to their injuries. Li, one of the passengers, described only suffering minor bruises to his leg, while another received treatment for two fractured lumbar bones. The status of the third passenger is not currently known. Li said "Everything was spinning. We were all thrown in the air before crashing onto the floor.”
Grainy video at link.

Human knocks down woman in hit-and-run. Then driverless car parks on top of her
A woman in San Francisco is in critical condition after being first struck by a hit-and-run driver, and then falling in front of a driverless Cruise car, which ran her over and trapped her under its wheels.
https://www.theregister.com/2023/10/04/driverless_cruise_car_pedestrian/

Death by marshmallow

Natalie Buss, 37, won a game of bingo at a rugby club fundraiser and was invited up on stage for a party game challenge. Eyewitnesses said she was laughing as she tried to cram as many marshmallows into her mouth as possible.

A witness said: “The DJ and everyone in the audience was counting as each marshmallow went into her mouth. She was laughing at the same time and it was like she sucked the marshmallows further into her mouth. One minute everyone was enjoying themselves and whooping, the next she was on the floor. It was dreadful to watch it happen in front of you. First-aiders went forward to help and someone said they had gone for the defibrillator on the wall of the school opposite. But it didn't help - her airways were blocked by the marshmallows."
1696970969274.png

Death by marshmallow

Natalie Buss, 37, won a game of bingo at a rugby club fundraiser and was invited up on stage for a party game challenge. Eyewitnesses said she was laughing as she tried to cram as many marshmallows into her mouth as possible.

View attachment 70371
We had a Strange Deaths post about a fatal cake-eating contest back in 2008.
Others have died in a similar way. It's not all that rare.
Stupid, but not rare.

Man died after taking part in fairy cake eating competition
A man taking part in an eating contest has died after several fairy cakes became lodged in his throat.

Adam Deeley, 34, collapsed in the early hours of last Friday morning at the Monkey Cafe nightclub in Swansea. Staff at the venue tried to revive him before paramedics arrived.

OMG looks like a cirque du soleil kinda thing, hope they are all ok, mentally as well as physically
I've read that all but one survived.
The fatality was caused by falling debris.

Gotta say, if this happened to me I'd be sleeping on a mattress on the ground floor for the foreseeable. :nods:

What's ridiculous here is how the owners could allow so many serious injuries to occur. You'd think they'd notice and do some damage limitation.

Former trampoline park bosses could face jail after 11 people break their backs

David Shuttleworth and Matthew Melling, who ran Flip Out in Chester, pleaded guilty to failing to prevent exposure to risk under the Health and Safety Act. Adults and children were injured "on a daily basis", with one woman saying it was "the most pain I've ever suffered in my life".

David Shuttleworth and Matthew Melling, both 33, admitted failing to prevent exposure to risk under the Health and Safety Act at Chester Crown Court.

They were prosecuted after 11 people broke their backs at visits to Flip Out in Chester in 2017 - including three on the same day.

The injuries seem to have occurred in the same area of the attraction -

Liza Jones, a cardiac nurse from Wrexham, north Wales, was one of those who shattered her spine after jumping from the 13ft tower and into a foam pit.

This is in the tabloids today although it actually happened in 1988.

Man ‘forgets’ parachute & jumps to his death

Ivan McGuire, a 35-year-old experienced skydiver, with over 800 jumps under his belt, fell to his death at the Franklin County Sports Parachute Centre, US, after he forgot his parachute with footage capturing the haunting moment
His footage captured the haunting few moments before he made an impact with the ground. It appears that he reached to pull his parachute he got closer to the ground before the terrifying realisation hit. The final words caught on recording were: "Oh my god, No!" His body was later found in the woods around one and a half miles from the airfield that he took off from.

However, foul play and suicide were ruled out and it was later decided that McGuire simply forgot his parachute causing an accidental death

It is believed that he may have mistaken the camera equipment for the parachute as it had a comparable mass and weight, in an unfortunate mix-up.

So ... while a carry bag full of camera equipment might weigh the same as a working parachute (dunno), they'd packed the camera gear in a bag that looked exactly like a parachute ... and you could actually strap it on without noticing?
At a stretch, it might look like a reserve. Sort of, if you squint.

So ... while a carry bag full of camera equipment might weigh the same as a working parachute (dunno), they'd packed the camera gear in a bag that looked exactly like a parachute ... and you could actually strap it on without noticing?
At a stretch, it might look like a reserve. Sort of, if you squint.
Yes, hard to believe isn’t it. Especially by a man who’s done over 800 jumps.

This accident has been throughly covered and discussed online. McGuire had already done several jumps that day, filming customers doing their first jumps.
He was most likely distracted by proceedings and, having put on his camera bag, then forgot to add the parachute.

There are lots of videos on it.

I've got to admit, were I in that situation, I'd bring my arms to my sides move to go head first and make it as fast as possible.
Yes, it looks like he had plenty of time to think about his impending doom... it shows how people can get blasé about dangerous things they do all the time, and can loose focus on where they are and the danger of what they are doing. That's probably the underlying cause of a good portion of railway worker fatalities.

So not only did he forget his chute he also forgot his emergency chute?
:eek:

I've got to admit, were I in that situation, I'd bring my arms to my sides move to go head first and make it as fast as possible.
You'd hardly have time to soil your pants.

This is a very peculiar death indeed. It is hard to imagine the camera equipment bag being the same shape, straps, buckles, colour, and weight as his parachute bag.

I have never parachuted. However, I used to be a keen scuba diver, which has some similarities: bulky technical equipment, leaping out of a perfectly good form of transportation into a dangerous environment, and so on. As divers, we had a strong buddy check system. I would check my buddy's straps, air supply, full panoply of kit, etc., and they would check mine, before entering the water. No system is infallible, but I would have noticed any time my buddy had forgotten their air cylinder!

Back