• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

Deliveryman stuck in elevator for days

New York man rescued Tuesday after disappearing Friday

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 Posted: 0244 GMT (1044 HKT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- A deliveryman who vanished after taking Chinese food to a Bronx high-rise apartment building was found alive Tuesday after apparently spending more than three days trapped in an elevator that had become stuck between floors.

Ming Kuang Chen, 35, had been the subject of a widespread search after he failed to return to his restaurant Friday night with $200 in receipts, prompting speculation that he was the victim of armed bandits or some other urban horror.

But the disappearing deliveryman emerged Tuesday with a mean thirst and a tale of survival. He was pulled out at about 5 a.m. Tuesday by firefighters responding to an emergency call at the high-rise.

"Thanks for everyone caring about me," Chen said afterward in an interview with ETTV, a Taiwan-based news network. "I'm fine now."

Chen had no food or water throughout his ordeal. He was given water at the scene before being taken to Montefiore Medical Center, where he was treated for minor dehydration and ate an apple, cereal and a roll. "He was in very good condition," said hospital spokesman Steve Osborne.

Authorities were questioning why police officers and the building's private security force found no sign of Chen, who claimed he had repeatedly cried out and pushed an alarm button in the elevator. And authorities had conducted a door-to-door canvass of the apartment complex over the weekend in search of Chen.

"I tried to knock [down] the door and kept screaming for help, but no response," Chen said in the television interview. "During the time I was stuck in the elevator, I just kept sleeping because I don't know what else to do."

Chen was last seen about 8:30 p.m. Friday after making three deliveries at the same apartment complex. He later told police through a translator that he had entered an elevator on the 32nd floor of a 38-story building when it plunged down and became stuck between the third and fourth floors.

Chen, a native of China who speaks little English, apparently tried to tell rescuers how long he had been trapped by circling his watch dial with his finger numerous times, said Fire Department spokesman Charlie Markey.

An investigation determined that the security camera and alarm system in the elevator were working. But security officers told police they never heard nor saw Chen until Tuesday. Authorities showed up at the building Tuesday after firefighters got a call that an elevator was stuck.

Even maintenance workers who were called to check out the disabled elevator on Monday missed Chen, police said.

Those questions aside, Mayor Michael Bloomberg marveled at Chen's good luck.

"If they were there and they searched and they didn't find him, thank God it turned out that he's OK," the mayor said. "I think we should all be thankful that the man's alive."

Source

Family loses all in bizarre fire

By Samara Kalk Derby
April 9, 2005

It was like the Rube Goldberg-style kids' game Mousetrap, where a chain reaction of events helps trap a plastic mouse. Tim Brender was working in his basement one January day when a series of unlikely events turned catastrophic.

Brender and his family were a month away from moving from their rented east side townhouse at 1313 Tompkins Drive to a home on Madison's south side.

"He knew he needed to start getting things organized," Lani Brender said about her husband, explaining that he was in the basement Jan. 28 when he pushed a table back, knocking a can of spray paint to the ground.

On the way down, the paint fell square on a hammer below, which punctured it, and sent paint spraying, she said.

"His initial thought was that I was going to be upset that he got silver paint everywhere," Brender said.

But paint splatter turned out to be the least of their worries.

Paint sprayed far enough to ignite the pilot light of the water heater and a flash fire began in front of him, she said.

His only thought at the time was: "This is not happening," she said.

Tim Brender, 45, noticed a cushion had caught fire and tried to get it outside. Meanwhile, the flames burned skin from his palm and thumb and he suffered second and third degree burns.

"You couldn't set up this scenario to happen. It's still very surreal to us," said Lani Brender, 43, a hairdresser at Head Games Salon, 1715 Thierer Road.

Actually, the scenario gets worse, much worse.

The family lost everything in the ensuing fire: all their furniture and kitchen appliances, their computer, beds and the majority of their clothes. More than two months later they are still discovering items they no longer have.

Lani Brender had just purchased homeowner's insurance for their new house on Badger Lane, but ironically they had no renter's insurance for the apartment they lived in at the time.

"You don't realize what your stuff is worth until you have to tally it up in a dumpster," she said.

Tim works as a dental technician. The couple has two children, Nicole, a junior at La Follette High School, and Jacob, a fifth-grader at Glendale Elementary School.

The basement blaze turned into an inferno when flammable liquids and gunpowder stored there combusted.

Firefighters put the initial fire out, but a half hour later there was a "flashover" that injured a veteran firefighter.

A flashover can occur when the room temperature reaches the combustion temperature of most of the contents in a room. It causes the entire room to ignite from floor to ceiling and is one of the deadliest events firefighters face on the job.

Tim Brender is a hunter and stored gunpowder for his black powder pistol in the basement. When the couple had kids they made sure to lock up all the hunting equipment in a fireproofed gun safe. The situation would have been far worse, firefighters told the Brenders, had those items not been secured.

At their new home, the Brenders keep anything flammable in a shed far away from the house. It is a lesson that has caused their friends to go into their own basements and workshops to store away any potential combustibles.

If anything positive has come from the tragedy, "it's telling people about checking and making sure they don't have anything close enough to have some freak accident happen," Lani Brendersaid.

Meanwhile, the family was able to get established in their new home with mattresses and box springs provided by St. Vincent de Paul. Strangers from a relative's church donated a desk and a couch.

"People who don't know us donated clothes and furniture. It's unbelievable that people will come out and help strangers like that," Lani Brender said.

The Red Cross also came through for them in a big way, she said, meeting them in the emergency room and putting them up in a hotel. Her son had no shoes at the time and neither her son nor husband had coats. The agency gave them vouchers they used for food, clothes, underwear and toothbrushes.

Glendale School was helpful as well, getting backpacks and school supplies for the kids.

"You quickly find out how you can get by on the very basics. You don't realize how spoiled you are when you have all your stuff around until it's gone," she said.

The experience has been "very humbling," Lani Brendersaid, adding that she likes to view herself as the one who reaches out to others.

"It's hard to be on the other side of it. You read or hear of other people having tragedies and never expect to be the one experiencing it."

People are still reaching out to help the family.

Dale Nelson, who owns the salon where Lani Brender works, and one of her clients, Corissa Kasmira, are co-hosting a fundraiser Sunday.

"Hairdressers are all giving people by nature," said Nelson, explaining why he organized the event. "The hardest thing for Lani to do is accept (the help). By nature we like to help."

Nelson said it's encouraging to see something positive develop out of such a destructive incident.

"I have two kids and the biggest thing I teach them or am trying to teach them is that life isn't always good but with the goodness of others it can be better."

----------------------
BRENDER FUNDRAISER

• 2 p.m. Sunday: Buckeye Inn, 4420 E. Buckeye Road.

• Automatic: WJJO/FM 94.1 "Battle of the Bands" winner will provide the music and there will be free beer.

• Suggested donation: $7 and the family is registered at Target.

Source

Golf - the Hidden Menace

Injuries Rising as More Kids Take Up Golf

MONDAY, April 11 (HealthDay News) -- The increasing popularity of children's golf has teed off an upswing in golf-related head injuries among youngsters, a new study finds.

Researchers at the Medical College of Georgia reviewed the cases of more than 2,500 patients under age 19 seen by neurosurgeons between 1996 and 2002. They identified 64 sports-related injuries, including 15 golf-related injuries. Of those injuries, seven were caused by golf cart accidents, seven by golf clubs and one by being struck with a golf ball.

One of the children involved in a golf cart accident died as the result of uncontrollable brain swelling. Six of the 15 children required surgery. The youngest child with a golf-related injury was 10 months old. Skull fracture was the most common type of golf-related head injury in the children.

The study appeared in a recent issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery. Lead author and neurosurgery resident Dr. Scott Y. Rahimi got the idea for the study after he noticed an increase in the number of golf-related head injuries in children.

"Golf-related injuries constitute a common type of sports injury in the pediatric population. The increase in frequency of these injuries is largely attributed to the increase in the popularity of golf and greater use of golf carts by children," Rahimi and his co-authors said in a prepared statement. They believe safety training programs, precautionary guidelines, proper storage of golf equipment and adult supervision of golf club and golf cart use can reduce golf-related head injuries among children.

Source[/quote]

[Emp edit: Stopping link from breaking board.]

House on fire after trying to cremate dead dog on barbeque

Yesterday a Brussels man tried to cremate his dog on his barbeque. He caused a fire. The pertol that the man used to light the fire probably spilled on his terrace. When the firemen arrived at the front of the building they could see big flames on the terrace. In hindsight the damage was limited, only the facade was scorched. The man had burns on his arm and was taken to hospital. According to the police the dead dog was "only blackened". (Spits, monday 18 april 2005, page 1)

Mods! We got a cut n paste ratio of more than 50/50 on this thread, better be safe and shut it down lads...

TMS said:
Mods! We got a cut n paste ratio of more than 50/50 on this thread, better be safe and shut it down lads...

:rofl:

Dokkum (NL) - An 11 year old girl was wounded on 21/04/2005 at the fair of Dokkum when a man fell out of a caroussel (giant's stride ?) and fell on top of her. Through unknow causes the man got stuck on one of the seats of the attraction and then was launched into the air.

The girl was taken to the hospital. The man was not wounded. Police are investigating the accident.

PS: What are the three posts above about? I don't get it. :(

TMS said:

Apparently this guy owns the place!

:miaow: :gaga: :laughing:

Plane and parachutist collide

Lucky escape...

http://www.jsonline.com/news/racine/may05/329092.asp

Plane, parachutist collide in Yorkville
Both pilot, jumper taken to the hospital

Yorkville - It had all the makings of a serious accident: A single-engine plane collided with a skydiver Thursday afternoon.

The plane landed in a tree, clipping some power lines on the way down.

The skydiver landed on the ground.

Luckily, no one was seriously hurt.

The pilot had taken seven parachutists up at least 2,000 feet, where they each jumped from the plane.

Lt. Connie Mallwitz of the Racine County Sheriff's Department said she believed the plane crashed into one of the skydivers as they were landing. Both were close to the ground.

The plane landed in a tree near 56th St., adjacent to Sylvania Airport at 2624 S. Sylvania Ave. around 3 p.m.

Both the pilot, from Illinois, and the parachutist, age 31, were taken to St. Mary's Medical Center in Racine. The pilot had facial scratches, bumps and bruises. The parachutist complained of pain in the middle part of his body. Their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

The power lines have been replaced.

The plane has been released by the FAA to be moved, and an outside company will perform onsite cleanup of the diesel fuel.

The Blind Driving the Blind Drunk.

From yesterdays Cambridge Evening News:-

Pair on collision course after pub

AFTER having one too many down the pub, most people call for a cab to get them home safely.

But instead of ringing for a taxi, John Paulding asked a disabled woman who is virtually blind to drive him home.

Sheree Smith, who has suffered strokes and is wheelchair-bound with a full-time carer, promptly crashed the Citroen Xantia into two parked cars.

Speaking to the News after being banned from driving and fined £200, Smith apologised for the danger she had created.

Smith, of New Barns Avenue, Ely, said: "It was a hot summer evening and I had been out with John, who had been drinking scotch all day and red wine all evening.

"Lots of kids were out playing, so I got behind the wheel myself.

"I can drive, but I don't have a licence, but I was worried about the children.

"I was OK but when I got back to my street I crashed because I couldn't see - I've had a brain haemorrhage and I didn't mean to do it."

Ely magistrates heard that Paulding, of Chiefs Street, Ely, asked Smith to take the wheel after consuming a "considerable" amount of drink.

Smith, 44, collided with an parked Vauxhall Astra and a Volvo 440 in New Barns Avenue at 6pm on September 17 last year.

In a police interview after the accident, Smith told an officer: "I am virtually blind.

"I used to have a provisional licence years ago. But I did not take my test as I'm scared of the road."

She added: "The person who drives the car was drunk.

"As I turned into my road, my eyes went blank and my leg seized up.

"I could not move the brake and the clutch.

"I could not see. I had my hands over my eyes."

John Aspinall, in mitigation for Smith, who claims income support and disability benefit, said she'd had a number of strokes and did not own her own vehicle.

He said: "On this occasion, she had gone out with Mr Paulding who had a considerable amount to drink.

"The suggestion was made that she should drive. She accepts that she is unable to drive."

No-one was injured, but all three cars were damaged.

At a previous court hearing Smith was convicted of driving without due care and attention, driving with no insurance, no MOT certificate and driving without a full and current driving licence.

Presiding magistrate Caroline Frankland ordered her to pay a fine of £200 and disqualified her from driving for a year for careless driving.

Ms Frankland said the DVLA would now be advised of Smith's medical condition.

Smith asked if the ban would affect her use of a disabled person's scooter and she was told it would not.

Paulding, 63, has pleaded guilty by letter to the court of permitting Smith to drive his car without insurance, to allowing Smith, who was not the holder of a full and current driving licence, to drive his car and of permitting Smith to drive his car without a test certificate.

His case was adjourned until June 16.

Source: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/el ... 88d5cb.lpf

Man sues over injuries from exploding toilet

Thursday, June 02, 2005
Associated Press

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- A Pennsylvania man injured when a portable toilet exploded is suing a general contractor and a coal company for negligence.

John Jenkins, 53, and his wife Ramona Jenkins, 35, of Brave, Greene County, filed the lawsuit in Monongalia County Circuit Court on Tuesday. They are suing Chisler Inc., a general contractor from Fairview, and Eastern Associated Coal Corp. for $10 million.

The explosion occurred July 13, 2004, at Parrish Shaft in Blacksville. Jenkins, a North West Fuels Development Inc. methane power plant operator, entered a portable toilet, sat down and tried to light a cigarette.

"When I struck the lighter, the whole thing just detonated -- the whole top blew off," John Jenkins said. "I can't tell you if it blew me out the door or if I jumped out."

The lawsuit says the cigarette ignited methane gas leaking from a pipe underneath the unit.

Eastern Associated Coal Corp. owns the property where the explosion occurred. Chisler Inc. ran over the pipelines with heavy equipment before the incident, causing the methane gas leak, Jenkins alleges.

The lawsuit also says there was no sign on the portable toilet warning that smoking, matches and open flames were forbidden.

Jenkins had severe burns on his face, neck, arms, torso and legs. He is permanently disfigured, the lawsuit says.

Eastern Associated Coal is a subsidiary of Peabody Energy. A call to that company's Charleston office was not immediately returned.

A man who answered the phone at Chisler's office in Fairview said he was familiar with the lawsuit and the company would have no comment. He would not give his name.

Source

I have to say that smoking any where on a methane plant sounds like a very bad idea - in the toilet of a methane plant? Well.......

Bizarre Shooting Injures Man

A man who used a live .22-caliber round to tap on some wires in his home was struck in the face when the bullet discharged, police were told by the victim's girlfriend.

The woman said that while vacuuming the carpet in the home at 4386 Rob Roy Lane in Henry County, she heard a loud noise. She entered another room to find 33-year-old Dwayne Collett wounded. Collett was conscious and told the girlfriend how the bullet discharged.

The couple got into a truck to head to an area hospital when the truck broke down near Fort Gillem on Highway 42. Paramedics were called there and transported Collett to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=64375

You're safely parked in a layby in your camper van on a warm day, enjoying a cup of tea. Surely nothing could go wrong there?

But it did. A major accident occurred on the dual carriageway, causing another vehicle to hit the camper van, knocking it clean off the road and into a field. The couple inside had to be cut free by firemen.

But at least they survived. One man and one dog were killed in the pile-up, which involved five vehicles. (One was a minibus which luckily had no passengers on board - the driver was able to walk away.)

This happened today, just a few miles from here (almost within sight of Rynner Towers), and the road has been closed for hours, causing knock-on congestion for miles around.

Plane hits cows on Nigeria runway

An investigation has been launched after a plane ran into a herd of cows at Nigeria's Port Harcourt airport, officials say.
The Air France plane, with 196 people on board, ploughed into the cows as it touched down at Port Harcourt in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

No-one on board was hurt, but the collision left seven cows dead and the runway was soaked with their blood.

Port Harcourt is the centre of Nigeria's huge oil industry.

The return flight to Paris was cancelled and the airport was closed for several hours.

A spokeswoman for Air France said the Airbus A330 was checked by technicians, but was not damaged during the incident.

Passengers waiting to fly to Port Harcourt from the commercial capital, Lagos, on Wednesday said they were told that airport crew were chasing five cows around the airport.

Aviation Minister Mallam Isa Yuguda has summoned airport officials to explain the security breach, local newspapers report.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 659281.stm
Published: 2005/07/07 09:59:40 GMT

© BBC MMV

Girl's leg impaled in bike crash
Firefighters used cutting equipment to help free a girl whose leg had become impaled on the brake lever of her bicycle in North Somerset on Saturday.
The girl, believed to be about 12-years-old, is understood to have fallen from the bike, impaling her thigh on the lever.

A spokeswoman for Avon Fire and Rescue said crews were able to cut the handlebars off the bicycle.

The girl was taken to hospital following the accident in Worle.

Station Officer Peter Coombs, from Weston-super-Mare, said the incident was one of the most unusual he had been involved in.

"We were called by the ambulance service who were attending to a girl who had fallen off her bike.

"The brake lever had actually impaled in her thigh up to its hilt. She must have hit down on it fairly hard."

Mr Coombs said the injury was not bleeding too much but it was decided not to remove the brake lever at the scene of the accident in Gilberyn Drive.

"We had to use cutting equipment to remove half the handlebar and taped the rest of it to her leg so it didn't move.

"The cutters we used were the same things we use to cut the roofs off cars.

"We put a screen and a blanket up so she couldn't see what we were doing because the cutters look a bit daunting.

"But the paramedics had given her pain relief and she was very comfortable and relaxed during the procedure."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4169420.stm

TRAUMA IN PLANE LOO
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

09:00 - 01 September 2005
Two Helston pensioners, Ken and Jean Williams, will never forget Saturday, August 13, when Jean collapsed in the toilet of their aircraft en-route to Canada and broke a leg in three places.

Airline staff had to take down the door to the small cubicle to gain entry to rescue her.

The call: "Is there a doctor on board?" went out and, just like in the movies, a medic answered and confirmed the fractures.

Jean, aged 84, and Ken, aged 82, were on there way to Vancouver on a trip to where Ken spent some time on Vancouver Island during the war when he was a flight lieutenant in the Royal Air Force.

The trip was partly sponsored by Lottery funding after Ken had spotted an article in a magazine offering a nostalgic journey back to the war years.

The traumatic incident aboard the aircraft took place just one hour before they were due to land in Vancouver.

Ken this week told the West Briton that he and Jean flew from Newquay to Gatwick on August 12 and boarded their Canada-bound jet the following day - the unlucky 13th as it turned out.

"Short of an hour from landing in Vancouver I felt a tap on the shoulder and was told my wife had fainted and was lying on the floor of the lavatory.

"There was a paediatrician on board and he suspected she had broken her leg."

Airline staff had to take the lavatory door down to gain access and remove Jean, and she was made comfortable until she could receive medical care in Vancouver.

Airport management met the jet and paramedics whisked Ken and Jean to hospital.

The couple's baggage was left at the airport with a promise from the airport manager that he would take care of everything.

"Everyone was very good," said Ken.

He was later booked into accommodation at an inn about a mile from the hospital, from where he was able to visit Jean.

While there he received some "disturbing" news in the form of a medical bill for 1,100 dollars.

Jean was discharged from hospital the following Thursday and Ken then had to buy a walking frame and a "wheeler".

The couple, who celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next year, met towards the end of the war in Ceylon on a blind date, fell in love and were married in Singapore six months later.
WB

Peeing woman dies in churchard

A Belgian woman found a macabre end in the Belgian city of Pulle.

After visiting a pub she had to "go" urgently. The woman decided to walk into the graveyard. She crouched between two gravestones but lost her balance. In a reflex she grabbed one of the gravestones. The gravestone broke and one part fell on top of her head. The impact was so powerful that she died on the spot.

Source: Metro, 6 september 2005 - And its all over the Belgian websites.

This is just horrible. What an awful way to die. :(

Source

KILLED BY THEIR BED
Sisters suffocate as it collapses
By Frank Corless
TWO elderly sisters died in a holiday flat after part of their foldaway bed fell on top of them as they slept.

Mildred Bowman and Alice Wardle, both in their 60s, suffocated after the wooden frame it fitted into collapsed, trapping them.

Police believe from the blood and bruises on their hands that they tried desperately to free themselves.

Worried friends reported them missing to reception. Staff found their bodies in the studio flat at the two-star Levante Club Apartments in Benidorm, Spain.

A source close to the case said: "It's a horrific way for anyone to go. It is very unlikely anyone would have heard their cries for help because they were trapped between the top and bottom of the bed."

A magistrate ordered a judicial investigation. Tour firm My Travel also sent a team to conduct a separate investigation.

Advertisement

As a precaution the firm moved tourists from the block to other accommodation.

The sisters lived a mile from each other in the village of Low Fell, Co Durham. Neighbours said they were very close.

Mildred lived alone in her ground- floor flat.

A neighbour said: "She was a nice old lady. No one deserves to go like that."

Alice, who has daughters Alison and Dawn, also lived alone. Alison flew to Spain after hearing the news.

A neighbour said: "Her daughters are shattered. It is a terrible thing for them."

No one at Levante Club Apartments was available for comment.

WOMAN TRAPS HAND IN OFFICE SHREDDER

11:00 - 23 September 2005
Firefighters were called to a doctor's surgery after an office worker's hand was trapped in a shredding machine. The woman was shredding pieces of paper at the practice in Pinhole Road, Whipton, Exeter, when she got into difficulties around 5.55pm yesterday .

A Fire Service spokesman said last night: "The woman was pushing a folded piece of paper through the shredder when the tips of her fingers got trapped in the machine. The shredding machine was a proper metal one - not the lightweight domestic kind. She was caught for a good few minutes and was in a bit of a state."

Two fire engines from Exeter attended the scene, and firefighters managed to free the woman's hand using a selection of small tools.

The injured woman was taken by ambulance to hospital where she was treated for severe bruising to her fingertips.
WMN

Weight flies inside angler's eye

The X-ray reveals the weight inside Darren Williams' cheek
A freak accident saw an angler's lead weight fly through his eye socket and become embedded inside his cheek.
Darren Williams, 34, of Wrexham, had a five-hour operation to repair his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

The machine operator was on a fishing trip on Anglesey when his line became snagged and the weight flew up.

"I was so lucky - if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye," he said.

He is keeping the weight as a souvenir after doctors gave it back to him.

"It's my lucky weight now. I will carry it around with me," said Mr Williams, of Acrefair.

He was fishing with friends at Llyn y Gorse, near Llandegfan on Anglesey, when the freak accident happened on Saturday.

I was so lucky if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye

Darren Williams

"I was fishing when the line got snagged on something and as I pulled it, I just felt something hit me on the face and knock me to the floor," said Mr Williams.

"To be honest, I didn't know what had happened, but when I put my hands to my face they were covered in blood.

Emergency operation

He thought the weight had just hit him and bounced off.

"But my mates ran over to me and they could see the tip of the weight sticking out of my eye socket".

Mr Williams, who works at Wrexham chemical plant Flexys underwent an emergency operation at Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, where surgeons took the weight out.

Surgeons removed the weight and rebuilt his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

"They showed me the X-ray and I just couldn't believe it," said Mr Williams, who is recovering at home after spending two days in hospital.

"I was so lucky if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye."

Mr Williams said he expected to be off work for some time.

He did not catch anything on that trip - but said the accident had not put him off fishing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm

Hunter hospitalized after dead goose falls on him

Associated Press

STOCKHOLM, Sweden — A Swedish hunter spent two days in bed after being knocked unconscious by a Canada goose that landed on his head moments after his son shot it dead.

The goose had been flying about 60 feet in the air when it was shot by Carl Johan Ilback, who was hunting with his father, Ulf, along a stream in eastern Sweden.

When the goose dropped from the sky, it hit Ulf Ilback in the head and knocked him out, he said.

"It wanted to extract its revenge, I assume," Ulf Ilback told local newspaper Extra Ostergotland on Wednesday. "If it had gotten a better hit, it could have broken my neck."

Ilback spent two days in bed with severe headaches before returning to work.

"The story brought about a lot of laughter at work," he said.

He added that during this month's moose hunt, he may wear a helmet.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... re/3384999

drbastard said:

Gotta love those x-ray pictures.

_40880346_anglerxray203.jpg

Has anyone ever made a gallery of bizarre x-ray images?

Bizarre X-Rays? Head for rectal foreign bodies, which IIRC contains a shot of a live shell lodged in that dark place. :shock:

http://www.well.com/user/cynsa/newpiles.html#fig

The site has been up, if you'll pardon the expression, since the early days of the WWW. It appears to have undergone a make-over since I last visited. Now, to view before dinner or after, that is the question . . . :?

Link to BBC News page with Photo

A freak accident saw an angler's lead weight fly through his eye socket and become embedded inside his cheek.
Darren Williams, 34, of Wrexham, had a five-hour operation to repair his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

The machine operator was on a fishing trip on Anglesey when his line became snagged and the weight flew up.

"I was so lucky - if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye," he said.

He is keeping the weight as a souvenir after doctors gave it back to him.

"It's my lucky weight now. I will carry it around with me," said Mr Williams, of Acrefair.

He was fishing with friends at Llyn y Gorse, near Llandegfan on Anglesey, when the freak accident happened on Saturday.

I was so lucky if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye

Darren Williams

"I was fishing when the line got snagged on something and as I pulled it, I just felt something hit me on the face and knock me to the floor," said Mr Williams.

"To be honest, I didn't know what had happened, but when I put my hands to my face they were covered in blood.

Emergency operation

He thought the weight had just hit him and bounced off.

"But my mates ran over to me and they could see the tip of the weight sticking out of my eye socket".

Mr Williams, who works at Wrexham chemical plant Flexys underwent an emergency operation at Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, where surgeons took the weight out.

Surgeons removed the weight and rebuilt his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

"They showed me the X-ray and I just couldn't believe it," said Mr Williams, who is recovering at home after spending two days in hospital.

"I was so lucky if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye."

Mr Williams said he expected to be off work for some time.

He did not catch anything on that trip - but said the accident had not put him off fishing.

His health insurance won't pay up cos it was an act of cod

Electronically tagged man died in crash

21 Oct: An electronically tagged 40-year-old man died instantly when the car he was driving crashed head on into a van. Dennis Queensborough had drunk a half bottle of vodka and had traces of amphetamines found in his blood after the smash on the A375, an inquest heard yesterday. He was rushing back to his Sidmouth home to ensure he kept to his 7.30pm curfew on March 19 this year. But as he sped through Sidbury, East Devon, towards a tight bend at about 50mph in a 40mph speed limit zone the Ford Mondeo he was driving crossed the road and collided with a van. Mr Queensborough died instantly.
WMN

Farmer 'breaks' penis

A newly married Romanian farmer fractured his penis after ogling his young wife while carrying a heavy sack of grain.

Farmer Gheorghe Popa, 52, from Galati, had been moving the grain sacks to the barn when he stopped to watch his 25-year-old wife Loredana hang up the washing.

He got himself over excited and dropped the sack on his erect penis, snapping vital tendons and ligaments.

Doctor Nicolae Bacalbasa said: "It was a bizarre accident, and he was in a lot of pain.

"We have done what we can for him but he may never regain use of the organ again, at least for sexual purposes."

ananova

Rescue after man is stuck up mast

Firefighters rescued a 60-year-old man after he became stuck 40ft up a yacht mast.
The sailing fan had been carrying out maintenance on his boat at Portishead Marina on Wednesday when the pulley system jammed while he was up the mast.

The embarrassed yachtsman spent two hours stranded in pouring rain, before calling for help from a mobile.

Three fire crews were called to the upmarket marina development and rescued the man with the help of harbour staff.

Firstly, firefighters moved the yacht away from a walkway where it was moored, into a lock.

Then the water was drained from the 10m-deep lock, causing the boat to sink below ground level.

A rope was used to topple the boat slightly before a ladder was placed on the mast, which the man was able to clamber down.

He was cold but uninjured in the ordeal which had lasted for nearly three-and-a-half hours.

Avon Fire and Rescue spokesman, Adrian Mantle said: "I have never had a rescue like this in 22 years of working here.

"You get odd rescues all the time but I've never had someone stuck up a mast before."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4403106.stm

Man sues after being glued to toilet seat

Associated Press

BOULDER, Colo. — Home Depot is defending a lawsuit filed by a man who claims the chain's Louisville store ignored his cries for help after he fell victim to a prank and was glued to a toilet seat in the store's restroom.

Bob Dougherty, 57, of Nederland, said he became stuck to a bathroom toilet seat last year after somebody smeared glue on it.

"They left me there, going through all that stress," Dougherty told The (Boulder) Daily Camera. "They just let me rot."

His lawsuit, filed Friday, said Dougherty was recovering from heart bypass surgery at the time and thought he was having a heart attack. A store employee who heard him calling for help informed the head clerk via radio, but the head clerk "believed it to be a hoax," the lawsuit said.

Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher said she could not comment on pending litigation.

The lawsuit said after about 15 minutes, store officials called for an ambulance. Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat, and while wheeling a "frightened and humiliated" Dougherty out of the store, he passed out.

The lawsuit said the toilet seat separated from his skin, leaving abrasions.

"This is not Home Depot's fault," he said. "But I am blaming them for letting me hang in there and just ignoring me."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... re/3435936

Back