• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

And mor eon the Dave Mathews band (see previous psts for the full story):

Dave Matthews Offers 100 Grand To Receivers Of Poop

Monday October 25, 2004 @ 03:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Rather than wait around for the results of his DNA Test — a culpability crap-shoot if there ever was one — Dave Matthews is trying to make amends with the offended poop-ees in the lawsuit his band are facing.

See, the state of Illinois is suing the lads for allegedly emptying their tour bus’ septic tank through a metal-grated bridge into the Chicago River. Or rather, it would have gone into the river, had a boat full of the Unluckiest Tourists Ever not been directly under the bridge, bus, and subsequent shower of human waste.

Matthews and Co. were not in the bus at the time of the, uh, unloading, but since their driver denies the whole thing, authorities are waiting on genetic tests to deduce the origin of the waste in question. Since this is taking some time, the frustrated and environmentally-conscious band have offered a 0,000 donation to two groups that protect the Chicago River and its surroundings.

DMB is also trying to reach out to the 100 sorry bastards that got dumped on, attempting to track them down through the boat’s owner.

In addition to the 100 grand, they have been apologizing up a storm, just in case they are found responsible. A spokeswoman from the Illinois Attorney General’s office admitted the band have been trying to make amends, telling BBC News that her office appreciated "the gesture of goodwill," but that the donation won’t have any effect on the legal proceedings.

In related news (seriously), Lenny Kravitz is suffering from some toilet-blues of his own. Kravitz is being taken to court by a neighbour’s insurance company, which claims the rock star let his toilet overflow into the next-door apartment.

The lawsuit was made public on Friday, and, according to MSNBC, asks for over 0,000 in damages. The suit claims the toilet in Kravitz’s fancy New York digs "became blocked, clogged and congested with various materials," causing it to flood the neighbour’s condo and resulting in "catastrophic water damage."

Insert retching sound here.

Kravitz may want to think about moving from the trendy SoHo building, which also houses Courtney Love — a woman known for her mystical power to attract lawsuits.

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/10/2505.cfm

And I wonder what Lenny Kravitz has been up to??

Well dingadingdang my dangalonglinglong - Elvis meets ministry

Jesus wrecked my Pink cadillac:

Car Flies Into Side Of Music Store

Driver Hurt; Occupants Of Home Not Injured

POSTED: 8:05 am MST December 1, 2004
UPDATED: 1:43 pm MST December 1, 2004

DENVER -- A Denver family is wrestling with an enormous problem after a car came flying into the music store where they live at 10th Avenue and Federal Boulevard early Tuesday morning.

Two women were sleeping at the back of the building when a Pink Cadillac crashed through a brick wall around 4:30 a.m. and landed completely in the store.

Police are still investigating how it could happened but estimate the car was traveling at least 100 mph when it tried to turn on 10th Avenue. The car flew up a curb and was airborne for about 25 to 30 feet before it plowed through the side of the Discos Aguila de Oro store.

The driver, 20-year-old Jesus Fedora, was badly cut and bleeding and taken to a local hospital.

The family that lives in the apartment in the back of the store was unhurt.

"My mother thought it was an explosion. Unfortunately, she had surgery six months ago so she's in some pain, so just got up and she didn't know where to look ... She saw a lot of dust and just thought it was a bomb that exploded," said Sonia Ozeta of her mother, Rachel Hernandez.

Hernandez said when she peered through the door she saw a man wandering amid the debris, trying to leave the store.

"I seen this man walking toward the back. He was full of blood," Hernadez said.

Hernandez's 99-year-old mother, who was hooked up to oxygen and unable to move quickly, was startled by crash but was also unhurt.

The music store, which has been in business for 33 years and is well-known in the Latino community, is badly damaged and may need to remain closed while repairs are under way.

A bumper sticker on the car reads "Something Wonderful is About To Happen" but for the family who is left picking up the pieces, the morning has been anything but wonderful.

"We had planned to go to Mexico for Christmas. Now with this, I don't know," Hernandez said.

Fedora is in police custody and faces charges of driving under the influence and careless driving.

--------------------------
Copyright 2004 by TheDenverChannel.com.

Source

Grim:

Dec 17, 4:40 PM EST

Homeless man compacted in garbage truck

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- A homeless man who fell asleep in a commercial trash bin was dumped into the back of a garbage truck Friday and compacted - but escaped serious injury, officials said.

"It's really quite miraculous the guy got out without serious injury," said Bryan Weinert, program director for Ann Arbor's solid waste department.

Weinert said there is a large, dull steel blade that pushes the waste against the wall of the truck to maximize space. He said a person could be protected by trash that is hard to compact.

Lt. Scott Robertson of the Ann Arbor fire department said he did not know how much of the compacting process was completed before the man was discovered.

"Just being in the Dumpster and being dumped would have been a heck of a ride, let alone being compacted," Robertson told The Ann Arbor News.

He said firefighters got on top of the garbage truck and were able to get the man out.

The man was in a container behind a bar and grill when he was picked up.

---

Information from: The Ann Arbor News, http://www.mlive.com/aanews

----------------------
© 2004 The Associated Press.

Source

01/01/2005 19:30 - (SA)

Mouse blamed for car crash

Nagel - A mouse was blamed for a two-car accident in southern Germany - after having crawled up a motorist's trousers.

As the rodent squirmed up his inside thigh, the driver slammed on the brakes, causing a rear-end collision with a car driven by a female motorist.

When the woman got out to give him a piece of her mind, the man opened his trousers and hauled out the wriggling mouse, according to a police spokesperson.

News 24.com-Backpage Article

Reminds me of time my sister reached for the baby oil in the semi-dark and somehow picked up her husband's red-hot sports massage oil instead. :shock:

Se said, no wonder it's used for sports, when you see how fast it makes'em run. :lol:

i have known for some time that my great-grandfather lost a finger in a sausage machine at work, but a few days ago i found out the punchline:

he was a pharmacist.

my mother is adamant that it was a sausage machine and that it was when he was at work. perhaps he got hungry. :confused:

A few years back whilst in bed reading the sunday papers I managed to scratch my cornea with the top edge of the newspaper.

Twas bloody agony, spent 4 hours in casualty and couldn't open my eyes for 3 days.

Funniest thing was when I went to the loo and forgot to check if the toilet seat was up and for a second or two wondered what that splashing noise was. The wife at the time wasn't best pleased.

H.

Blast rocks home, but roaches survive

Woman got out before stove pilot light ignited fogger, firefighters say

Tuesday, January 11, 2005
By Michaelangelo Conte
Journal staff writer

Gases from insecticide foggers detonated in a Jersey City woman's home yesterday, blowing out windows, singeing furniture and leaving her homeless last night.

"I've never seen the explosive nature of an aerosol to this degree before," said Fire Capt. Andrew Johnson. "Had she been inside the building, it would have definitely killed her. She was not hurt at all."

At 8:40 a.m., firefighters responded to the two-story building, at Orient Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, after hearing the explosion from their firehouse about a block away, Johnson said.

The woman, who is in her mid-20s, opened three defoggers in her home and as they released their insecticide spray, she walked out her front door, Johnson said.

The gases ignited, blowing out a large bay window and slamming the front door shut behind her, Johnson said.

Despite the blast, firefighters found that the roaches had survived, Johnson said.

"The roaches were still alive on ceilings, all over the place," Johnson said.

Investigators believe oxygen from the open door mixed with the gases from the foggers, creating an explosive mixture that was ignited by a stove pilot light, Johnson said.

Garbage bags in the kitchen, a sofa, walls and other items were seared superficially. Some items bubbled from the intense heat, Johnson said.

Public Service Electric & Gas workers responded and shut down gas service to the residence, Johnson said.

Firefighters sealed the windows with plastic, but the woman was forced to stay elsewhere last night.

Source

Rotten mackerel set off explosion

Some workers at a warehouse in Fredrikstad had a mess on their hands last week, after a production mistake caused 1,650 cans of mackerel in tomato sauce to literally explode.

Canned mackerel filets in tomato sauce are a dietary staple for many Norwegians. While part of the national heritage, the product is also fondly ridiculed at times and nicknamed "plane crash" because of the silvery fish's appearance in the red sauce when opened.

Food producer Stabburet always uses a heating technique in the canning process to help preserve the fish, but somehow, the 1,650 cans that blew up missed out.

That meant the fish started rotting in the cans, which in turn set off gases that caused the cans to swell until they eventually burst.

"It was a highly unfortunate accident," Robert Rønning of Stabburet told VG.

Extra crews had to be called in to help clean up the stinky mess inside Stabburet's warenhouse. Rønning stressed that none of the faulty cans ever reached grocery stores.

Source

Food producer Stabburet always uses a heating technique in the canning process to help preserve the fish, but somehow, the 1,650 cans that blew up missed out.
Maybe this is why Tesco's have had none for the past couple of days!

Firefighters free woman from foot massager

January 24 2005 at 07:38AM

Hong Kong - Firefighters had to free a woman customer who got trapped in a foot massage machine while she was trying it out in a Hong Kong shop, a news report said on Monday.

The 44-year-old woman was 15 minutes into a trial of an Oto Big Foot massage machine when she realised her foot was stuck, the South China Morning Post reported.

Staff spent 30 minutes trying to free her but eventually had to call firefighters who released her by dismantling the machine, produced by Singapore-based Oto Bodycare.

The woman was taken to Hong Kong's Queen Mary Hospital where she was examined and discharged after the bizarre incident on Sunday.

Oto withdrew the massage machine from sale and asked anyone worried about the product to contact the company's Hong Kong office, the newspaper said.

Source

Woman hospitalised by tiger painting

Greets

(this seems as good a place as any for this story)

Ananova:
Woman hospitalised by tiger painting

A Chinese pensioner had to be taken to hospital after she mistook a painting of a tiger for the real thing.

The woman, in her 70s, spotted the 'tiger' in a dark alleyway after shopping at a nearby supermarket.

According to Shanghai Evening Post, she screamed, turned and ran after seeing a 'tiger' coming at her.

But the woman, who the paper named as Mrs Wang, slipped on ice and fell heavily.

Passersby rushed to Mrs Wang's aid to find her nervously stammering: "Tiger, tiger, there's a tiger" and pointing down the alleyway.

But the tiger turned out to be a painting hung in a calligraphy and painting shop window.

To draw business, the shop owner had put a light behind the paint to create a lifelike impression.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1257928.html?menu=

mal

Reminds me of time my sister reached for the baby oil in the semi-dark and somehow picked up her husband's red-hot sports massage oil instead.

Somehow?

Didn't Dr Freud say there's no such thing as an accident?

Still, it's one way to put the tingle factor back into your love life.

Mayor shoots his own backside

Greets

Mayor shoots his own backside

A Colombian mayor shot himself in the backside while he was on the toilet.

Rafael Augusto Galan, Mayor of Ramiquiri, was out on his rounds when he was caught short.

He asked to use the toilet of a local shop and disappeared into the back, reports Terra Noticias Populares.

A witness said: "All we heard was the noise of a 9mm gun firing!"

The mayor's handgun, which he was carrying in his back pocket, had gone off wounding him in the backside.

Mayor Galan needed hospital treatment but has made a full recovery.

He was accompanying a group of religious people on a pilgrimage to a local church at the time of the incident.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1269777.html

(a quick google of ramiquiri and mayor brought up no hits. )

(but give it time)

mal

I know Colombia's rough, but do you really need to take a gun to church?

Or to the khazi, for that matter?

Man suffers shower shocker

By Frank Armstrong

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 07:00

Local News - Joe Kelly says it may be a while before he bathes again in his north-end home.

And who could blame him, even if he does get a bit aromatic?

The 32-year-old believes he suffered an electrical shock while taking a shower yesterday.

“It was a real wakeup, that’s for sure,” Kelly said from his Drennan Street home.

Emergency service workers who assisted Kelly guessed that a broken power line nearby somehow caused a power surge to flow through the home and zapped Kelly around 10 a.m.

He told The Whig-Standard he remembers seeing a flash of white light outside the window and then he was on his hands and knees on the bathroom floor.

On his way to the ground he ripped the bathroom’s soap dish from the wall.

“All I can remember is hitting the floor ... and my arm was hurting,” Kelly said. “I went into a bit of shock and my wife said I was just running around and screaming and hollering and wouldn’t settle down.”

Kelly received burns and cuts on his arm, which were treated in hospital. He was home by early afternoon.

Several members of his family dropped in to make sure he was all right.

Joe Kelly and his wife, Nicky, have lived in their home for two years and have never experienced any irregularities with the power, so the surge came as a complete surprise, their cousin Kelly Kelly said yesterday.

Joe and Nicky Kelly are planning to sell the house and only a few days ago had a home inspector check it out, Kelly Kelly said.

Police, firefighters, paramedics and a Utilities Kingston repair crew attended the scene yesterday.

According to Jim Keech, the utility’s president and CEO, a 5,000-volt power line severed near the Kellys’ home.

It’s something that happens from time to time, he said, adding that he didn’t understand how Kelly could have been shocked by the flash outside the house.

“I can’t see how it could happen,” Keech said. “I think we probably need to talk to him and talk to the medical people.”

Keech said the flash would have happened as the lines separated. A line would have hit the cross arm of the power pole and caused a bright blue flash and a power failure.

The resulting flash would have looked like a lightning bolt, Keech said.

About 200 hydro customers lost power for 37 minutes.

Praveen Jain, a Queen’s University electrical engineering professor, was also stumped as to how Kelly suffered an electrical shock.

“I can’t even think how it could happen because this transformer is somewhere else and the shower is somewhere else and they are not connected,” he said.

Most likely, he said, the ground wire on the basement’s plumbing pipes – a wire that normally prevents a power surge inside the home from electrocuting the occupants – may be to blame.

Jain surmised that a powerful electrical surge could have travelled through the earth, up the ground wire, through the pipes and into Kelly’s shower.

Otherwise, a static electricity charge could have built up on the shower taps, so that when the flash happened, it could have filled the air with an electrical charge.

By touching the tap, Kelly could have caused himself to be shocked, Jain said.

“But it doesn’t make any sense,” he added.

Meanwhile, Kelly said he planned to spend much of the day lying down.

“I’m not going to take a shower today,” he said, laughing.

Source

I'm not completely sure if this qualifies as 'ridiculous', but I DO wonder if a person gets *points* on their driving record for this kind of thing if they do it before they get their liscence in the first place. :D

Student Runs Over Driver's Ed Teacher

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (AP) - A driver's education instructor was run over by one of her students and pinned beneath the car for 15 minutes, officials said.

Two cars driven by students collided on the DeKalb County Schools driver's education lot, then one of the students backed into Patricia Erwin, running her over.

She was hospitalized Friday in stable condition and underwent surgery for multiple broken bones.

Erwin, 64, who has taught driving for 20 years, was working with the students on a drill that included pulling forward and backing up at slow speeds, said Kal Kelliher, the district's driver's education coordinator.

02/11/05 22:29

© Copyright The Associated Press.

SOURCE

Mon, February 14, 2005

Man shot in groin through ceiling

SUN MEDIA

OTTAWA -- A 37-year-old Quebec man faces several charges, including criminal negligence, following a bizarre shooting at a motel. Mario Ethier was arrested after a Sudbury, Ont., man was shot in the groin by a bullet that came through the ceiling of his room from the floor above.

The 44-year-old victim was sitting in front of his laptop computer about 1 a.m. on Saturday when he heard a noise, saw a puff of smoke and realized his lap was bleeding. The bullet had entered his upper abdomen, his scrotum and thigh.

The man drove himself to hospital. He remained there yesterday.

Ethier is charged with criminal negligence causing bodily harm, possession of a restricted weapon, possession of a dangerous weapon, and mischief. Cops said there is no connection between the accused and the victim.

Source

Man's head stuck in fence
February 21, 2005

A MAN on drugs has had to be freed by firefighters after he got his head stuck in a fence in inner-city Melbourne.

Firefighters were called to rescue the man about 11.50pm (AEDT) yesterday.
He had his head trapped in a fence on Peel Street in Collingwood.

"He had somehow got his head wedged between the vertical bars of the fence and we bent the rail out so he could be removed," a spokesman for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade said today.

A police spokeswoman said it was believed the man had been taking drugs before he became trapped.

"It looks as though he was under the influence of some sort of drug and he had slumped over," she said.

The man was quickly freed and taken to hospital with minor injuries.

News.com.au

Glue removed from Thai monk's eye

An elderly Thai monk who mistook a tube of superglue for eye drops can see again after doctors unglued one eye.
Phra Kru Prapatworakhun, 81, had been unable to see for nearly a week after applying the superglue, which he found in his temple's medicine cabinet.

Doctors used acetone solvent to remove the glue from one eye and said it was unharmed, the Nation newspaper reports.

An operation on the second eye, which is still tightly sealed, is scheduled for Thursday.

Phra Kru Prapatworakhun, the abbot of a temple in Muang Angthong district, north of Bangkok, said he had a severe itch in his eyes on 17 February.

"I squeezed several drops on the floor and saw a clear liquid, so I put four drops into each eye. In about a minute, my eyes felt cold and then sealed closed," the monk told the Nation.

Another monk suggested he use thinners to get rid of the glue. But that only caused a searing pain, he said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 289777.stm
Published: 2005/02/23 08:27:08 GMT

© BBC MMV

Not sure where this goes but it does revolve around an accident:

Published: March 1, 2005

Local News: Rockford

Bizarre Beloit exploits expand

ROCKFORD -- A Beloit man showed up at a Rockford hospital Sunday night complaining he was in pain from a car accident. Turns out he had a bullet stuck in his forehead, and police are wondering if he's tied to a bizarre accident-shooting-hostage situation in Beloit.

Beloit police aren't releasing the 20-year-old's name but are checking to see what role if any he had in Saturday's events in Beloit.

"It's bizarre -- I mean really bizarre," said Beloit police Capt. Bill Tyler. "And just when we thought we had everything figured out, a guy with a bullet stuck in his skull shows up at another emergency room, and we're starting all over again."

The tale starts about 11 a.m. Saturday morning.

A Chevy Tahoe racing north on Wisconsin Avenue missed a turn and struck a car head-on. The driver of the other vehicle, Lucille Dixon, 46, of Beloit, was in stable condition Monday at Beloit Memorial Hospital.

Officers responding to the accident see the driver of the Tahoe, Darnel Wainwright, with a gun. Wainwright sees them and runs into a home the 1400 block of Porter Avenue, Tyler said. "The guy orders the residents not to say anything, and he holes up there for a short time until he sees the place is surrounded and he surrenders."

Wainwright, 20, of Milwaukee was charged Monday in Rock County Circuit Court with aiming a firearm at another, theft of a firearm, criminal trespass while armed and car theft. He is being held on a cash bond, and Rock County prosecutors may file additional charges after police do a "little more sorting out," Tyler said.

The Tahoe Wainwright was driving was reported stolen early Saturday in Rockford.

Tyler said that while paramedics checked Wainwright for injuries, he said, "Oh, by the way, I have been shot."

Wainwright then tells police he was just walking down the street in a different neighborhood when he was shot in the back of the neck.

Wainwright was treated at the University of Wisconsin-Madison hospitals and released for court Monday.

"So we thought we had all that sorted out, got all the witness statements together, and then this guy shows up at a hospital in Rockford and says he was in a car accident and he thinks he has a piece of windshield glass stuck between his eyes," Tyler said. "Turns out he has a bullet between his eyes that penetrated into the skull, but not the brain. This really muddies the waters because it may or may not be related to the other incident."

Tyler declined to say which hospital the man was in. The man underwent surgery Monday and was listed in serious condition.

"We know he told them a fake name at the hospital and said it was because he had warrants for his arrest in Wisconsin. He also said he was injured in a car accident and has no idea where the bullet came from."

Source

A final resolution to this shitty saga:

Dave Matthews Band Driver Pleads Guilty

Wed Mar 9,12:35 PM ET

By TARA BURGHART, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO - A bus driver for the Dave Matthews Band pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges stemming from the dumping of 800 pounds of human waste from his vehicle's septic tank onto a sightseeing boat on the Chicago River.

Stefan Wohl was sentenced to 18 months probation and 150 hours of community service, said Tom Stanton, a spokesman for the Cook County state's attorney's office. He also was fined the maximum of $10,000, which will be paid to Friends of the Chicago River, a conservation group

Wohl, 42, of Selma, Texas, was charged with reckless conduct and discharging contaminates to cause water pollution.

Authorities said that on Aug. 8, when Wohl was alone in a bus used by band violinist Boyd Tinsley, he emptied the septic tank while driving across the open grating deck of the Kinzie Street bridge.

The waste poured onto the open deck of the Chicago's Little Lady tour boat, which was passing below with more than 100 passengers. The boat immediately returned to its dock and was disinfected. The Chicago Architectural Foundation, which operates the tour, offered refunds to the passengers.

Prosecutors said Wohl had denied discharging waste on the bridge, but surveillance tapes from buildings in the area were used to zero in on the bus.

The band cooperated in the investigation, including bringing the bus, one of a number used by the band, back to the city for inspection, authorities said.

The band has since donated $50,000 to the Friends of the Chicago River and $50,000 to the Chicago Park District.

A lawsuit filed by Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan against the band and Wohl is pending. It seeks $70,000 in damages.

___

On the Net:

Dave Matthews Band: http://www.davematthewsband.com

Friends of the Chicago River: http://www.chicagoriver.org/

Source

:shock:

Gulp! 18-inch dog swallows 16-inch stick

Wed Mar 9, 7:46 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - In a feat that put human sword swallowers to shame, a British dog managed to gulp down a stick only two inches (5 centimetres) shorter than its own body, and escape unscathed, a report said.

Millie, a two-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier, swallowed the stick by accident while on a walk with her owner, John Hurst, in fields behind his home in Portsmouth, southern England, the Daily Mail newspaper said.

Hurst threw the 16-inch (40-centimetre) stick for Millie to retrieve, but it stuck in the ground like a javelin and the sprinting dog managed to effectively impale herself on it, swallowing it whole.

Fearing the worst, Hurst rushed his pet to a vet, where micro-cameras found the stick had somehow worked its ways down Millie's throat and deep into her stomach without hitting any vital organs on the way.

After a two-hour operation, the only injury to Millie was a small scratch inside her stomach, the report said.

Dogs receiving treatment for swallowed sticks was common, vet Matthew Tyler told the newspaper.

"But for a dog to get a stick stuck this far down is unheard of," he added

Source

:shock:

Last Update: Sunday, March 27, 2005. 2:35pm (AEST)

Basketball accident severs boy's hands, foot

A ten-year-old boy has undergone eight hours of surgery to reattach three limbs which were severed in a freak accident in Perth last night.

The boy was playing basketball at a friend's birthday party when the basketball hoop and a supporting wall came crashing down on him.

Guttering the garage was attached to acted as a guillotine, severing his hands and left foot.

He was rushed to Princess Margaret Hospital with his limbs on ice in an esky.

Plastic surgeon Robert Love says six surgeons worked for eight hours to save the boy's limbs.

"I've never seen it before, in fact it's probably the worst injury of its type that I've seen before," he said.

"You do see limbs severed and certainly digits severed but the devastating injury that this is because it's multiple limbs."

The boy remains sedated in intensive care.

He will have further surgery tomorrow

Source

Brits hurt by melting pyjamas, alligators and centipedes

greets

(we have "ridiculous accidents" but these are just plain accidents)

Brits hurt by melting pyjamas, alligators and centipedes

Staff and agencies
Tuesday March 29, 2005

Bizarre accidents including melting pyjamas, being attacked by an alligator and bitten by centipedes put almost 1 million Britons in hospital last year, it emerged today.

Volcanic eruptions, lightning strikes, lizard bites and hornet stings caused some of the more unusual injuries listed by the Department of Health (DoH).

Accidents cost the NHS about £1bn a year. The most common cause of injury was falling, which led to 119,203 admissions to casualty.

Thousands suffered attacks from a wide variety of animals. These included 451 people stung by hornets, 46 bitten by venomous snakes and lizards, 24 bitten by rats, 15 injured in contact with a marine mammal, two people bitten by centipedes and one attacked by an alligator. But dogs accounted for most injuries with 3,508 people suffering bites.

Hundreds more fell victims to natural hazards, with 54 people struck by lightning, 37 victims of "volcanic eruption", 25 injured in "catacylsmic storms", 12 suffered from avalanches and seven were victims of earthquakes. A further 107 were exposed to "unspecified forces of nature".

Other unusual injuries included four victims of noise exposure, four of vibration and 40 from contact with a high-pressure jet.

There were 22 incidents involving the "ignition or melting of nightwear", with stray cigarettes and faulty electric blankets likely to blame.

But falls made up the bulk of the A&E admissions. With 119,203 suffering "unspecified" falls and 24,475 falling from stairs and steps. Another 12,042 involved the bed, 7,114 fell from a chair and 4,533 from ice skates, roller skates, skis or skateboards.

The definitions for the admissions were devised by the World Health Organisation, with some of the accidents taking place abroad which then led to hospital treatment back home.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/health/story/0,7890,1447436,00.html

mal

http://toronto.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=to-parkinglot20050329
TORONTO – Police are looking for witnesses to a bizarre incident in which a man died after he was run over by his own vehicle. The man was hit in the parking lot of the Canadian Tire store at 1608 The Queensway around 6:10 p.m. Saturday. Investigators say the vehicle began to move after the 57-year-old driver got out of it. The man apparently became caught on the vehicle and was dragged underneath it. One of the front tires then rolled over his chest, inflicting a fatal injury. The victim was declared dead at the scene.

Might have gone in the Strange Falls thread but...

Woman OK after bizarre shooting

BN

March 31, 2005

EDMONTON -- A bullet fired into the air smashed through a south Edmonton house and hit a sleeping woman in the chest early Thursday.

Police say the woman, in her 30s, is lucky to be alive because the bullet hit her chest right over her heart.

She and her husband were fast asleep in their home when the woman was awakened by something hitting her chest.

The bullet, that came through the roof and the bedroom ceiling, was still moving fast enough to leave a red welt on her skin.

Police say it looks like a slug from a 45-calibre handgun and probably wasn't fired from very far away.

They're looking for a lot of answers and will concentrate their search in the neighbourhood where the unusual shooting happened.

-----------------
© BN 2005

Source

Back