• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Runes & Runic Languages

A

Anonymous

The mayans were not the first to create written language. Scientific evidence has shown that Runes, or the Elther Futhark (I dont know if thats the correct spelling) was the first and oldest form of language. It is still used today to create magic books and scripts.

Runic was used all throuought the world. Evidence has surfaced in Africa, Asia, the Americas and the lower reigons of the Arctic. Even before runic there were pictographs. Not written language as we know it, but pictures that told a story or conveyd a message

Mmmm.....possibly, they look more like pictographs to me. But we have to remember that runes changed from culture to culture, there WAS one central set, the Elther Futhark (Im butchering the spelling I know). So those could be runes just in a different style. Information on runes http://www.ipcc.com/market/newage/runes.htm

The runes are an alphabet system that was first developed in the early years AD. Each rune has a letter-sound, and can therefore be used for writing - each also has a meaning, enabling them to be used for divination. they are tied deeply to the concept of Wyrd, which loosley means fate (although not necessarily deterministic).

This site http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/ contains some info. If you have any questions, post them here and I'll try and supply answers...

Galloway Viking-age treasure: Egbert revealed as name of one owner
Examination of Anglo-Saxon runic inscriptions on silver arm-rings has revealed the name Ecgbeorht.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49905258

Addendum

"Yet these runes are not of the familiar Scandinavian variety common around this date on the nearby Isle of Man, but of a distinctively Anglo-Saxon type."

Reading runes... wish there had been more details about this.

I've always felt a special affinity for (the) Runes. When I was a kid I grew up wandering local forests and passing notes encrypted in runes in to classmates in the 4th grade, having discovered the runes in a dictionary. I find the Icelandic Galdrabok to be absolutely fascinating, and I hope similar books will be found and published.
I can see some kind of initiatory thing back in the day where folks are tripping and bound to a tree trunk or something. The branches superimposed over each other and the drugs showing the way to the runes as one would sacrifice oneself to the tree kinda thing. Of course Spare's Alphabet of Desire is kind of a bind rune type of system. I like the idea of creating one's own runes that comprise the forces of the universe --that could be a grade requirement in a magical system. I like this guy's work a LOT because it is beautiful:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreeSeer?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=960277404
He has a book I'm going to buy too.

Looking at some of the bind runes in the Galdrabok, it seems that many are composed like ships or longhouses, and were meant to function like little machines or conveyor belts of events, running reality through a series of events as one progresses through the runic "ship" or "longhouse", of the bind rune. Sometimes there evens seems to be a runic "steering oar" that projects from some bind runes. As one gets used to looking at them, one can see what the original creator was trying to be up to. I actually have a bit of Danish ancestry --on my mother's side. We used to go to the Scandinavian Festival in Junction City when I was a kid:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sca...k_DREQ_AUoA3oECAYQBQ&biw=1280&bih=610&dpr=1.5

Last edited:
Now, you are not understanding.

Runes are magical because they convey information, process it, store it.

No different to any other script.

The magic is the medium, not the message.

I will have make one of those now.
Now, you are not understanding.

Runes are magical because they convey information, process it, store it.

No different to any other script.

The magic is the medium, not the message.
Sure they do, as do the signs in other magical systems as well. However if you would want the runes to perform something for you --that is a series of events resulting in the desired outcome; the bindrune is not going to be a static thing, but alive. With a function to perform Like a weapon, or ship; in fact in one account the rune magician carved the runes on a piece of wood and set it out to sea (to metaphorically sail to the victim, one would presume). Runes were also graven on weapons, as you know.

Last edited:
Funny thing; a lot of the runes and bindrunes over at Lilly's store:
like the one on the item below, are identical or nearly so to a system of runes I created to describe Hindu seed mantras.
il_1588xN.2941627373_4rut.jpg

Not the oldest Runes, rather the oldest Runestone found to date.

Archaeologists in Norway have found what they claim is the world’s oldest runestone, saying the inscriptions are up to 2,000 years old and date back to the earliest days of the enigmatic history of runic writing.

The flat, square block of brownish sandstone has carved scribbles, which may be the earliest example of words recorded in writing in Scandinavia, the Museum of Cultural History in Oslo said.

It said it was “among the oldest runic inscriptions ever found” and “the oldest datable runestone in the world”.

“This find will give us a lot of knowledge about the use of runes in the early iron age. This may be one of the first attempts to use runes in Norway and Scandinavia on stone,” said Kristel Zilmer, a professor at the University of Oslo, of which the museum is part.

Older runes have been found on other items, but not on stone. The earliest runic find is on a bone comb found in Denmark. Zilmer said that maybe the tip of a knife or a needle was used to carve the runes.

The Rök stone in Sweden bears the longest runic inscription in the world
Viking runestone may allude to extreme winter, study says

The runestone was discovered in late 2021 during an excavation of a grave near Tyrifjord, west of Oslo, in a region known for several monumental archaeological finds. Items in the cremation pit – burned bones and charcoal – indicate that the runes were likely inscribed between AD1 and AD250.

“We needed time to analyse and date the runestone,” she said to explain why the finding was first announced on Tuesday.

Measuring 31cm by 32cm (12.2in by 12.6in), the stone has several types of inscriptions and not all make linguistic sense. Eight runes on the front of the stone read “idiberug” – which could be the name of a woman, a man or a family.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-runestone-found-in-norway-archaeologists-say

My Anglo-Friesian runic keyboard overlays have arrived at last...
Screenshot_20230214_220634_Gallery.jpg

I had expected the underlying keycaps to be fully-obscured by the runes, but annoyingly the Roman letters are still visible.

Screenshot_20230214_220642_Gallery.jpg

Maybe I'll just make a proper set myself from scratch.

View attachment 63406

I had expected the underlying keycaps to be fully-obscured by the runes, but annoyingly the Roman letters are still visible.

View attachment 63407

I used to use Junicode for its runic font on Windows but now am on a Mac can download it but can't seem to get it to run. (Or rune?) Despite having Adobe, can't seem to find a decent runic font I can use at all on this laptop. Owt I have found looks like it's runes in comic sans. And nobody's gonna have the full Northumbrian runes - maybe just the standard futharc.

Annoying because I do, weirdly, need it.

Last edited:
Not the oldest Runes, rather the oldest Runestone found to date.

Archaeologists in Norway have found what they claim is the world’s oldest runestone, saying the inscriptions are up to 2,000 years old and date back to the earliest days of the enigmatic history of runic writing.

The flat, square block of brownish sandstone has carved scribbles, which may be the earliest example of words recorded in writing in Scandinavia, the Museum of Cultural History in Oslo said.

It said it was “among the oldest runic inscriptions ever found” and “the oldest datable runestone in the world”.

“This find will give us a lot of knowledge about the use of runes in the early iron age. This may be one of the first attempts to use runes in Norway and Scandinavia on stone,” said Kristel Zilmer, a professor at the University of Oslo, of which the museum is part.

Older runes have been found on other items, but not on stone. The earliest runic find is on a bone comb found in Denmark. Zilmer said that maybe the tip of a knife or a needle was used to carve the runes.

The Rök stone in Sweden bears the longest runic inscription in the world
Viking runestone may allude to extreme winter, study says
The runestone was discovered in late 2021 during an excavation of a grave near Tyrifjord, west of Oslo, in a region known for several monumental archaeological finds. Items in the cremation pit – burned bones and charcoal – indicate that the runes were likely inscribed between AD1 and AD250.

“We needed time to analyse and date the runestone,” she said to explain why the finding was first announced on Tuesday.

Measuring 31cm by 32cm (12.2in by 12.6in), the stone has several types of inscriptions and not all make linguistic sense. Eight runes on the front of the stone read “idiberug” – which could be the name of a woman, a man or a family.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-runestone-found-in-norway-archaeologists-say
That's the weirdest "B" rune I've ever seen - on that link - also, I'm not sure runes are that old as apart from that one, they're all the same as you'd expect 1000 years later. All my rune books are downstairs so can't go look, now.

That's the weirdest "B" rune I've ever seen
Very! Might it be a double-b, such that it possibly reads as 'IDIBBERUG' ?

Wow! I just searched using "idiberug" (which I read directly from the runes myself, without cheating, and then searched using www.dogpile.com) and I immediately found this: https://www.euronews.com/culture/20...eologists-uncover-the-worlds-oldest-runestone

Screenshot 2023-02-15 223738.jpg

(EDIT - dammit, they give that name/word in the text of the original reference.... :-/ )

View attachment 63406

View attachment 63407

Nice!
The fairly subtle difference between the runic G and N did concern me a bit as, when I celebrated the end of lockdown with getting a tattoo featuring my name in runes (Elder Futhark), I first thought he had got it wrong, but then spotted the slight slant to the N rune.

Very! Might it be a double-b, such that it possibly reads as 'IDIBBERUG' ?

Wow! I just searched using "idiberug" (which I read directly from the runes myself, without cheating, and then searched using www.dogpile.com) and I immediately found this: https://www.euronews.com/culture/20...eologists-uncover-the-worlds-oldest-runestone

View attachment 63454

(EDIT - dammit, they give that name/word in the text of the original reference.... :-/ )
Ah is a double letter a thing? I know it's not so much in some languages til later. That would surely at those dates be some sort of proto old Germanic, or summat? Thanks for the link, it's really interesting. Going on the carbon dating of "nearby" bones would add to my suspicion that this inscription is much later - how can they tie this particular stone in with those particular bones? Stone could be a discard or some later burial also "nearby" on the same site..?

But it looks like summat you'd expect almost 1000 years after the carbon dating dates - that said, am yet again upstairs with all my books downstairs so can't go and look at the earliest known inscriptions to see when we think those rune forms emerged. That name though, looks like nothing I can think of from the later date...

Where they're nonsensical the odds are it could be a charm or spell (or mundane sentence) and just the initial letter of each word of that sentence - which is why some remain so cryptic. So whilst it's likely a name, I wouldn't abandon the idea it's not just that, given that the name doesn't seem to have any recognisable elements - that said, we can't know much about names from so early a date.

One example of runes still in everyday use is, of course, the Bluetooth symbol.
It combines the Hagall (H) and Bjarkan (B) runes - the initials of Danish king Harald Bluetooth, famed for his great oratory skills and for spreading the word of Christianity throughout Denmark in the 10th century.

gbLTvwqmqfUF3uGGqf2sUd-1200-80.jpg

I have bought a set of runes today and the book 'Runes Made Easy-Harness the Magic of the Ancient Northern Oracle' on impulse from my local New Age/Pagan shop. Totally on impulse and a sense of curiosity. I am quite sceptical,but will see what impact this purchase will have on my life -if any. More interested in how reading said book and looking at the runes will change my sense of self rather than for desiring to be part of a religion or for divination. I have been intrigued by the 'Franks Caskett' in The British Museum, which is said to have tales of both Christ and Thor on different sides of the said artefact.
https://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/the-franks-casket-sculpture.html

I have bought a set of runes today and the book 'Runes Made Easy-Harness the Magic of the Ancient Northern Oracle' on impulse from my local New Age/Pagan shop. Totally on impulse and a sense of curiosity. I am quite sceptical,but will see what impact this purchase will have on my life -if any. More interested in how reading said book and looking at the runes will change my sense of self rather than for desiring to be part of a religion or for divination. I have been intrigued by the 'Franks Caskett' in The British Museum, which is said to have tales of both Christ and Thor on different sides of the said artefact.
I have a set of mass produced runes somewhere at home that came with a small book back in the late 70’s or early 80’s. But I read back then that you should make your own runes using pyrograthy to mark each rune on a home cut piece of wood. As you make the rune you are to contemplate its supposed meaning which I assume means you imbue it with its meaning by force of thought.
Much as I would love to do this I certainly don’t have the time and doubt I have the skill to successfully complete such a project. I suppose it is on a par with painting your own tarot cards.

You will be thrilled to see that there is a ‘cheap’ replica at £300 and a non-cheap one at £800. I love them and will happily press my nose against the glass in the BM posh shop and stare longingly at them. But i think it’s elements of Wayland/Welund/Volundr‘s story not Thor that’s on there. Although who knows really

You will be thrilled to see that there is a ‘cheap’ replica at £300 and a non-cheap one at £800. I love them and will happily press my nose against the glass in the BM posh shop and stare longingly at them. But i think it’s elements of Wayland/Welund/Volundr‘s story not Thor that’s on there. Although who knows really
I noticed the cheaper version at £300. Thank you for the mention of Wayland/Welund/Volundr . I stand corrected. Found an interesting page here
with some runic interpretation.
http://anglo-saxon.archeurope.com/art/ivories/franks-casket/

And a Youtube video 'The meaning of the Franks' Caskett ' , lasts seven minutes.

The Date and Provenance of the Franks Casket.
Abstract:

In 1857 Augustus Wollaston Franks purchased from a Paris antique dealer a small (9 x 7 1/2 x 5 1/8 inches) rectangular whalebone casket carved with narrative scenes and inscribed with runes (Fig. 1). Ten years later, while Keeper of the Department of British and Mediaeval Antiquities at the British Museum, Franks presented the object to the museum, complete except for the right side, which was discovered in the Bargello, Florence, in 1890.1 For the past century this monument, sometimes known as the Clermont Runic Casket but most often as Franks' Casket, hence Franks Casket, has excited considerable scholarly interest. The aesthetic quality of the carving notwithstanding, the majority of critical studies of the casket have had two primary concerns, linguistic on the one hand and literary on the other. To date there has been no comprehensive examination of the date and provenance of the casket in the light of art-historical evidence.​

1719720113937.png

Source: Vandersall, A. L. (1972). The Date and Provenance of the Franks Casket. Gesta, 11(2), 9–26.

Attachments

• Vandersall, A. L. (1972). The Date and Provenance of the Franks Casket. Gesta, 11(2), 9–26._co...pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
The Franks Casket and its Interwoven Culture
Abstract:

Among the treasures of the British Museum, and perhaps the best
known of its exhibits of Anglo-Saxon art, is a small whale-bone box (9” x 7.5” x 5”) known by the name of the British antiquarian Sir Augustus Wollaston Franks, who in 1857 purchased the piece from a Paris antiques dealer and presented it to the Museum ten years later.1 It had been discovered in the possession of a French family in Haute-Loire earlier in the century, whence it passed through the hands of a Professor Mathieu of Clermont-Ferrand (and is sometimes referred to on the continent as the Clermont Casket). Its date is generally placed in the late seventh or early eighth century. A missing panel, the right side, was discovered in a collection now in the Museo Nazionale in Florence, and a cast of this has since been fitted to complete the design of the whole.​
1719773828821.png

Source: Frey Leonard H. The Franks Casket and its interwoven culture, Bulletin des anglicistes médiévistes, N°52, hiver 1997. pp. 3-9.

Attachments

• Frey Leonard H. The Franks Casket and its interwoven culture, Bulletin des anglicistes médiévi...pdf
    507.7 KB · Views: 14
What Has Weland to Do with Christ? The Franks Casket and the Acculturation of Christianity in Early Anglo-Saxon England.”
Abstract:

In 797 Alcuin, the newly minted abbot of St. Martin's, wrote a critical letter toan English bishop whom he nicknamed "Speratus." Among the abuses Alcuincondemned was the bishop's practice of allowing "pagan songs" (carmina genti-lium) to be sung for the entertainment of his household and his guests while theydined, rather than having sacred readings (sermones patrum) more suitable forthe occasion. "What has Ingeld (Hinieldus) to do with Christ?"1 Alcuin demandedto know, consciously echoing Tertullian's early-third-century query, "What hasAthens to do with Jerusalem?" but with native Germanic culture taking the placeof classical pagan learning.Alcuin found the celebration of the deeds of pagan heroes within a Christianmilieu troubling and incongruous. I have no doubt that if Alcuin had had anopportunity to view the Franks Casket, arguably a material manifestation of ev-erything Alcuin objected to in the bishop's household, and had given thought toits front panel depicting, side by side, the Adoration of the Magi and the bloodytale of Weland the Smith, he would have been inspired to ask, "What has Welandto do with Christ?" I also have little doubt that the question would have been asrhetorical and polemical as the one he posed to Bishop "Speratus." Himself aproduct of the monastic culture that produced both the "pagan songs" sung atthe bishop's table and the Franks Casket, Alcuin knew quite well what Welandhad to do with Christ.
1719776828794.png

Source: Abels, Richard. “What Has Weland to Do with Christ? The Franks Casket and the Acculturation of Christianity in Early Anglo-Saxon England.” Speculum, vol. 84, no. 3, 2009, pp. 549–81.

Attachments

• Abels, Richard. “What Has Weland to Do with Christ, The Franks Casket and the Acculturation of...pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
The Seventy-Two Gentile Nations and the Theme of the Franks Casket.
Abstract:

Some years ago in this journal I published the statement that the Franks "would make an admirable missionary device."1 At the time that was primarily on the basis of the juxtaposition of picture-subjects on the casket, a juxtaposition which seemed to me then (and does now) intentionally ed. On the left Wayland the Smith is depicted in his smithy, among his tools. beheaded one of the sons of Niöhad (the headless corpse lies beneath the made his skull into a goblet, from that cup Wayland offers the child's sister hild the drink that will enable him to rape her. Having exacted this vengeance the royal children of the king who has maimed and imprisoned him, Wayland ceeds to wring the necks of geese (probably not swans; their identification will be explained below). From their wings he will manufacture a feather which to escape from the prison-island. The artist has managed to depict elements of the familiar Wayland story in this little space, neatly showing evil magician mistreats women, little boys, and innocent birds. In contrast, right side of the front panel are the three magi, "good" magicians, being goose to pay homage to the virgin and her Chil
Source: Osborn, Marijane. “The Seventy-Two Gentile Nations and the Theme of the Franks Casket.” Neuphilologische Mitteilungen, vol. 92, no. 3, 1991, pp. 281–88

Attachments

• Osborn, Marijane. “The Seventy-Two Gentile Nations and the Theme of the Franks Casket.” Neuphi...pdf
    625 KB · Views: 7
The Problematic ga:sric on the Franks Casket
Abstract:

Amongst the runic inscriptions found in Friesland there are two, Britsum and Wijnaldum, that have clear parallels to Scandinavia (Nielsen 1997:13): For begge indskrifter gaelder, at der til gengivelse af mange af runerne er benyttet dobbelte eller flerdobbelte streger, et fænomen der kun kendes i visse ældre runeindskrifter fra det middelalderlige danske område så som Gallehus, Kragehul spydskaft og knivskaft (Fyn) og Lindholmenamuletten (Skâne) samt ydermere i 0demotland-indskriften fra Sydvestnorge. Another runologic parallel can be noted between the English Franks Casket and two Scandinavian inscriptions, all three from about 700 or somewhat later. The Franks Casket is probably a North English work from about 700 or somewhat later (Page 1995:278). The front has the following transliterated runic text (||= text division (Page 1995:261 and 268)​

1719777811365.png

Source: Bo Isakson . The Problematic ga:sric on the Franks Casket, Nowele, Vol.XLIII, September 2023, pp.65-70

Attachments

• Bo Isakson . The Problematic gasric on the Franks Casket, Nowele, Vol.XLIII, September 2023, p...pdf
    699.9 KB · Views: 13
The Right Side of the Franks Casket.
Overview

Professor Napier, discussing the Franks Casket a quarter of a century ago, concluded with these words: I hope that these suggestions may have thrown some light on the mys- terious inscription on the Florence fragment, or at any rate may advance us nearer to its complete elucidation. A thoroughly satisfactory solution of all the problems connected with it is scarcely to be hoped for until we know to what the carving refers, who the actors, and what the scenes were thereon depicted.' That was in 1900, and though many articles have since been written in various attempts to clear up the mystery of this quaint old piece of carved whale-bone, none of them have won general acceptance.
1719778309061.png
Source: Clark, Eleanor Grace. “The Right Side of the Franks Casket.” PMLA, vol. 45, no. 2, 1930, pp. 339–53

Attachments

• Clark, Eleanor Grace. “The Right Side of the Franks Casket.” PMLA, vol. 45, no. 2, 1930, pp. 3...pdf
    713.3 KB · Views: 12
Back