• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once last night.
Simply the most barking mad film ever made, maybe the silliest.
Good to see Ke Huy Quan making a comeback.
8/10

I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once last night.
Simply the most barking mad film ever made, maybe the silliest.
Good to see Ke Huy Quan making a comeback.
8/10
I couldn't get into that, I found it alternately dull and silly. One of the very few films that I've actually abandoned (I actually sat through all of Rebel Moon, which was surely worse).

The Kitchen: Near future dystopia set in London, all social housing has been eliminated. The one hold out is The Kitchen, an estate where people practice mutual aid for the most part. The police keep The Kitchen under constant drone surveillance and launch frequent raids with armoured personnel carriers, tannoys blaring: "You are trespassing on private property", The residents have barricaded their flats but those caught outside are batoned and arrested, their flats thrashed. Some are even beaten to death. Some want to fight back, others want to escape to private housing. A realistic enough story line, with well staged scenes of brutality and resistance. The street markets are reminiscent of Blade Runner with the cultural mix and holographic ads. There is also touches of Soylent Green, La Haine; and Do The Right Thing with a DJ going by the moniker Lord Kitchener. The narrative centres on a father/teen son relationship complicated by the fact that they only meet up at the funeral of the boy's mother. It does drag a bit at times and would have been a better film at 90 minutes rather than its 108 minute running time, Still, it's a good SF Thriller. Directed by Kibwe Tavares and Daniel Kaluuya from a screenplay by Kaluuya and Joe Murtagh. On Netflix. 7/10.

The Kitchen: Near future dystopia set in London, all social housing has been eliminated. The one hold out is The Kitchen, an estate where people practice mutual aid for the most part. The police keep The Kitchen under constant drone surveillance and launch frequent raid with armoured personnel carriers, tannoys blaring: "You are trespassing on private property", The residents have barricaded their flats but those caught outside are batoned and arrested, their flats thrashed. Some are even beaten to death. Some want to fight back, others want to escape to private housing. A realistic enough story line, with well staged scenes of brutality and resistance. The street markets are reminiscent of Blade Runner with the cultural mix and holographic ads. There is also touches of Soylent Green, La Haine; and Do The Right Thing with a DJ going by the moniker Lord Kitchener. The narrative centres on a father/teen son relationship complicated by the fact that they only meet up at the funeral of the boy's mother. It does drag a bit at times and would have been a better film at 90 minutes rather than its 108 minute running time, Still, it's a good SF Thriller. Directed by Kibwe Tavares and Daniel Kaluuya from a screenplay by Kaluuya and Joe Murtagh. On Netflix. 7/10.
Sounds dangerously close to what the future might be.

The Tomorrow Job: A time Travel caper where a gang of thieves use drugs to to trade their consciousnesses with their future selves. They steal data which is used by a mysterious organisation. There is plenty of room for paradoxes here and the "dead" coming back to life as the drugs also allow their future selves to transfer back in time. This is all in spite of the gang leader's carefully constructed scenarios to prevent such paradoxes and time loops. The gang come under attack by operatives who apparently come from decades in the future. The mechanics of the time travel is well handled and the drug has a back story. The script is pretty good at keeping the tension high as actions (and actors) are undone and redone. Maybe it is a bit too clever for it's own good though, as another reviewer wrote: "This is definitely not a movie for those with short attention spans or low intelligence". I certainly enjoyed this good made for TV SF Thriller. Written and Directed by Bruce Wemple. Showing again on Sky sci-fi on 22 January at 9 pm. 7/10.

The Kitchen: Near future dystopia set in London, all social housing has been eliminated. The one hold out is The Kitchen, an estate where people practice mutual aid for the most part. The police keep The Kitchen under constant drone surveillance and launch frequent raids with armoured personnel carriers, tannoys blaring: "You are trespassing on private property", The residents have barricaded their flats but those caught outside are batoned and arrested, their flats thrashed. Some are even beaten to death. Some want to fight back, others want to escape to private housing. A realistic enough story line, with well staged scenes of brutality and resistance. The street markets are reminiscent of Blade Runner with the cultural mix and holographic ads. There is also touches of Soylent Green, La Haine; and Do The Right Thing with a DJ going by the moniker Lord Kitchener. The narrative centres on a father/teen son relationship complicated by the fact that they only meet up at the funeral of the boy's mother. It does drag a bit at times and would have been a better film at 90 minutes rather than its 108 minute running time, Still, it's a good SF Thriller. Directed by Kibwe Tavares and Daniel Kaluuya from a screenplay by Kaluuya and Joe Murtagh. On Netflix. 7/10.
I didn't make it. I bailed at 38 minutes.

I just listened to a R4 interview about The Kitchen (synchronicity, eh?).
It just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm not into dystopian 'nightmares' anyway - this sounds more like an attempt at a warning or prediction?
It was suggested (by the actor) that many people today could 'relate' to it and they hope it highlights the issues faced on sink estates today! I know it must've been in the can for ages now, but this sounds like it's trying to jump onto the coattails of the Post Office scandal drama.

I've lived in places like sink estates and low wage areas under threat of privatisation and gentrification. It is grim, no doubt. The struggles are real. But it's not a dystopian nightmare. We're not at that point now - nowhere near. That nightmare is a great political bogyman!
This fiction is what might happen, not what is happening. A warning, perhaps, but it's not a documentary.

I struggled through this on Saturday morning. And whilst I made it to the end (just), I have really struggled to see the point of the movie. I understand that it is a reflection on the actual and potential social issues facing the housing market, and the inevitable knock on effects to wider society, but I have to agree with others who have suggested it is very much a Guardianista's propaganda documentary, and certainly doesn't present a balanced view.

I couldn't get into that, I found it alternately dull and silly. One of the very few films that I've actually abandoned (I actually sat through all of Rebel Moon, which was surely worse).
Agreed. I absolutely loathed Everything Everywhere All at Once for treating such an interesting subject as the multiverse with such juvenile flippancy.

It just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm not into dystopian 'nightmares' anyway - this sounds more like an attempt at a warning or prediction?
It was suggested (by the actor) that many people today could 'relate' to it and they hope it highlights the issues faced on sink estates today! I know it must've been in the can for ages now, but this sounds like it's trying to jump onto the coattails of the Post Office scandal drama.

I've lived in places like sink estates and low wage areas under threat of privatisation and gentrification. It is grim, no doubt. The struggles are real. But it's not a dystopian nightmare. We're not at that point now - nowhere near. That nightmare is a great political bogyman!
This fiction is what might happen, not what is happening. A warning, perhaps, but it's not a documentary.

Whereas the film Doomsday was closer to being a documentary about Glasgow.

It's a warning against this type of creeping gentrification and the resulting homelessness. If the veterans refuse to move out then they will be deemed to be "trespassing on private property". They would be evicted by bailiffs with the help of police.

Veterans living in accommodation next to Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium say they fear being made homeless as they face eviction.

Sir Oswald Stoll Mansions currently houses 42 veterans some of whom have served in Northern Ireland and Afghanistan. In October, Chelsea Football Club reportedly had a bid of £80m accepted for the site.

Sir Oswald Stoll Mansions was established in 1915 to provide homes for soldiers returning from war.

According to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, of the 157 flats, only about 20 would be retained under Chelsea's plans.

Those people who are on secured tenancies will be rehoused, with support from Stoll. However, those who have lived in the complex for less than five years will have to make their own arrangements,

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-68049912

That's so awful to hear about. I know the area very well - I used to live about 200 yards from Stamford Bridge.
Sadly, this is what happens in a 'hard' capitalist society; money is power. If the veterans are shifted and made homeless, it'll be down to Kensington & Chelsea to re-house them ... when there's very little housing stock available.
It's all being bought up as investment.

It's a warning against this type of creeping gentrification and the resulting homelessness. If the veterans refuse to move out then they will be deemed to be "trespassing on private property". They would be evicted by bailiffs with the help of police.
Here, people are facing what we call "renovictions". People being evicted for "renovation purposes" which often result in people having no home to go to. The landlords who lie, using renovation excuse to evict and then raise rents. Or, if in a house, the unscrupulous landlord evicts with the excuse of using the house for themselves or family (which is legit here) and subsequently sells it at a profit with no intention of personal use.

Three times we - as a family - were evicted from a let that we were told was long term. We had three kids still at secondary school.
The first time, it was to put the house on the market. The owner had been told he'd earn more money from sale than rent.
Second time, it was to put up as a holiday let. After a year, it returned to a yearly rental.
Third time we were to 'do a favour' for the owner. We went to a second place he owned and it had a great garden. We're here ... for the moment. His 'renovated' the original place for a holiday let ... and now it's a long term let.

Quantum Leap (2022).
I've watched 8 episodes now and, whilst I stand by my earlier comments that it is a bit cheesy and lightweight, it is also very entertaining.
Each episode seems to be knowingly calculated to be a tribute to a movie genre.
They've done Gravity, The Magnificent 7, Rocky, San Andreas, Stand by Me and, probably the pick of the bunch so far, The Exorcist.
And we all love timeslips don't we?
Just don't think about the logic and plot-holes too much.
Definitely a guilty pleasure sort of show!

Have just finished Season 2 of Quantum Leap. I am loving this show; such a worthy continuation of the story. Final episode was very touching as Al's daughter is explaining to Addison and Ian how Sam changed the timeline so that Beth waited for Al. We also got to see, for reasons, Addison have to use Al's old terminal to Ziggy (still glitching as in the original show).

The fact that both Ben and Addison are now leaping together opens up a whole new course for the show. And, of course, they now have a potential solution to bring Sam back. How will they find him though?

Code 8: Part II: Sequel to a dark Mutant film which didn't come from the Marvel stables. The budget is likely a bit higher on this occasion as Netflix financed the production. Reed has gotten out of prison, is back in Lincoln city but wants nothing to do with his former boss and partner in crime, Kelton. Circumstances however force them to collaborate. Police have cut back on the use of drones which drop killer robots to deal with mutants who step out of line, now it's Nice Cop as they use non-lethal robot dogs. But the local crooked cop Kingston is on the take from
Kelton. When a payoff is snatched by a teen, Kelton overrides a robot dog's protocols and kills the teen which is witnessed by his younger sister, Pavani. Thus begins a convoluted but entertaining game of shifting loyalties as Reed tries to protect Pavani, Kelton is more conflicted. Once again the mutants get to use their electrical, telekinesis and levitation powers, Pavane has particularly strong powers. The robot hound scenes are especially effective as they hunt their prey, reminiscent of the robot dogs in Black Mirror, we even get to see the Killer Robots in action again. The tone of the film is rather dark but this is leavened by those striving to build community spirit amongst the mutants. Quite violent though, plenty of gruesome killings. Co-Writer/Director Jeff Chan delivers another engaging Mutant-Noir tale. 8/10. On Netflix.

Last edited:
Just watched this and loved it. Great film, only slightly hindered by some wooden dialogue by Nat P. Best sci-fi I've seen (with a few massive dollops of wonderful horror) this decade. I even liked the ending. Highly recommend it.
4.5/5
I just watched Annihilation on Netflix, not expecting much. I really enjoyed it, quite surreal in places.

Spaceman: A moody SF film which gas some similarities to 2001: A Space Odyssey, more as a homage rather than a rip off though. Jacob (Adam Sandler) is a Czech Astronaut, he's travelling to Jupiter on a commercial mission to investigate an anomaly, the Chopra cloud, a mysterious cloud of dust. Six months into his voyage and he's almost there, he's lonely though, suffering from existential despair. Back on Earth his wife Lenka (Carey Mulligan) is going through her own traumas, pregnant, close to term she feels abandoned. Through flashbacks we observe the cracks develop within their relationship. she now wants to end their marriage but Ground Control are blocking this message, fearing the effect it might have on the already depressed Jacob. Although Jacob doesn't have a crazed AI to deal with he does encounter a giant alien spider hiding in the spaceship's hold. Is he imagining this? The ship's internal cameras are malfunctioning so he can't get Ground Control to confirm it's existence, so wisely he keeps quiet about it. The toilet is also not working smoothly much to Jacob's annoyance. things get worse when the chatty spider interrupts him even when he's in the head. They have philosophical discussions about Jacob's relationship and his past life we even learn a little about the spider. On Earth Lenka is going through more tense debates with a psychiatrist and others about not breaking up with Jacob just yet.

I like Spaceman but the pacing is off, it could have been reedited to avoid the long slow dialogues between Jacob and his alien buddy. The vein of humour which runs through the movie could have been better deployed to break up the lengthy one-on-ones.The spaceship appears roomy but perhaps it could only support one crew member due to the amount of instruments and machinery. There are other echoes if 2001 in the film but but it would be a spoiler to mention them here. Suffice to say that the zero gravity effects are well imagined with Jacob floating through the modules, strapped in for sleep and toiletry functions; he is a messy eater though, eating non-regulation food, letting crumbs and droplets spill. His favourite is a hazelnut chocolate spread, also found tasty by the spider. Spaceman also called to mind Memoirs of a Spacewoman, a novel by Naomi Mitchison which also involves one person in a spaceship with a giant alien spider. A vein of humour runs through this buddy movie but it might have been better deployed to break up the lengthy one-on-ones. An interesting film which is certainly worth watching but Director Johan Renck and Screenwriter Colby Day don't possess Kubrick and Clarke's talents to turn it into a masterpiece. It is based on the 2017 novel Spaceman of Bohemia by Jaroslav Kalfař. On Netflix. 7.5/10.

Back