• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

The very place!

As recommended by Bono.

Probably firebombed by Ramon.

Oh yeah, and Bono also recommended The Bank.

escargot1 said:
The very place!

As recommended by Bono.

Probably firebombed by Ramon.

Oh yeah, and Bono also recommended The Bank.

Thank you I'll STAKE it out.

MAO (which is close by) had a bad fire a couple of yeares ago. But I had an alibi...

Does Bono recommend that one too? :D

escargot1 said:
Does Bono recommend that one too? :D

Not that I know of. But a Maoist friend of mine is annoyed at them hijacking The Helmsman's name...

Just discovered that my son is friends with Arthur C. Clarke's niece. 8)

She's shy about discussing her Uncle Arthur for some reason. Me, I'd mention him at every opportunity, especially at the bar. ;)

My son's been over for a couple of days and has thoughtfully linked us all to the physicist and TV presenter Brian Cox. :D

Our snailet went to the theatre t'other night with the bloke who has the office next to Coxy at Manchester Uni. :yeay:

Furthermore, when he starts work at CERN he expects to bump into Cox now and then.

That Brian Cox, we're like that, we are. :lol:

Your mate Coxy's on telly tonight:

Wonders of the Solar System

BBC2 Empire of the Sun
Professor Brian Cox visits some of the most stunning locations on earth to describe how the laws of nature have carved natural wonders across the solar system. In this first episode, Brian explores the powerhouse of them all, the sun. In India, he witnesses a total solar eclipse, and in Norway he watches the battle between the sun's wind and earth, as the night sky glows with the northern lights.

Today on BBC2 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Well, I just watched Cox on the box, and he didn't mention you once, Scarg! ;)

Not once? I call that ungrateful. Everyone knows how much I like Cox. :(

Ohhhhhhhhh yes. ;)

Today I learned that my mother used to work with a niece of the famous hangman, Albert Pierrepoint. :shock:

So that links us all to, among others, 'Lord Haw-Haw', John George Haigh, Derek Bentley, Timothy John Evans, John Reginald Christie and Ruth Ellis. :nooo:

used to work with a friend of Pierrepoint...

My former colleague had guarded nazis waiting to be executed in Nuremberg and became a friend of Pierrepoint, continuing to correspond with his widow, after the hangman's death.

Interestingly enough, if you read Pierrepoint's autobiography, he came to oppose the death penalty. He said that the state used it to 'send a message' at various times, so that virtually identical cases resulted in a life sentence, whilst others death.

Yup, and there's a nice TV doc about him that's on sky now and then which describes him visiting Ruth Ellis's grave for hours at a time and begging her forgiveness there. He actually went a bit crackers over it all. Not surprising really.

Self evident, but.....

I also read the auto biography of the 'number two' hangman, but can't remember whether it was Harry Allen or Robert Stewart. However, what I can remember is the moaning about how Pierrepoint had killed (pun intended) his career. Apparently, whilst assisting Pierrepoint as number two, he commented on the large penis of the freshly executed man. You can just imagine the collective cringe as he pointed to a corpse, exclaiming, 'look at the size of that cock!'.

You wouldn't want to have a pint with him! As a final non-sequitur, my parents brought me up to believe that the home office was deluged with letters offering to be hangman, in order to display the depravity of humanity. This is a myth that QI exposed.

Having spent some years working at the Birmingham College of Cakes I can claim a connection to probably any celebrity chef in a maximum of 3 (and in many cases 2, having personally met both Brian Turner and James Martin).

By extension, I can claim Tony Blair in 4, and thus possibly any British MP and many world leaders in 5 - and so on.

On perhaps a slightly more desirable line I can claim Thom Yorke, Turin Brakes and Horace Panter and Jerry Dammers of the Specials in 2.

But perhaps best of all (or worst - perception is an individual thing) I can claim both Andrew Lloyd Webber and Simon Cowell in 2 - and then the world is my oyster!

Re: Self evident, but.....

balding13 said:
I also read the auto biography of the 'number two' hangman, but can't remember whether it was Harry Allen or Robert Stewart. However, what I can remember is the moaning about how Pierrepoint had killed (pun intended) his career. Apparently, whilst assisting Pierrepoint as number two, he commented on the large penis of the freshly executed man. You can just imagine the collective cringe as he pointed to a corpse, exclaiming, 'look at the size of that cock!'.

You wouldn't want to have a pint with him! As a final non-sequitur, my parents brought me up to believe that the home office was deluged with letters offering to be hangman, in order to display the depravity of humanity. This is a myth that QI exposed.
It was Sid Dearnley, I remember reading it years ago.

John Humphrys a couple of months ago actually used the line "do you know who I am?" to a cousin who's a theatre manager. (I suggested she should have responded "there's an elderly man here who doesn't know who he is, somebody call social services!) Robson Green (an audience member, it's not that tacky a theatre) also behaved like a complete arse over a slight delay to the programme. I think if I were famous I'd go out of my way to be nice to the staff.

I have a good friend who is a world-famous photo-journalist. (Winner of the Nikon World Peace Award.)

Onr evening, I forget in which context, I mentioned the professional wrestler, Goldberg.

"We don't mention this much," my friend replied, "but that's my wife's cousin."

I think if I were famous I'd go out of my way to be nice to the staff.

*nods*

Absolutely. Let's face it, they're ideally placed to gob on your lunch. ;)

Absolutely. Let's face it, they're ideally placed to gob on your lunch. ;)[/quote]

Spot on, but with video phones there is an even better way to 'gob' on a celebrity via Max Clifford and the tabloids.

And on that note, if the Labour party really want to win, we'll see 'allegations' about class a, ladies of the night and sexuality about a political leader soon.

I think if I were famous I'd go out of my way to be nice to the staff.

You've reminded me that that Josie woman who used to be on Who's Line Is It Anyway once went in the shop where my then lodger worked, i think she was doing a show at the Playhouse in Leeds that week.

Lodger siad she was going to say good luck to her after she'd finished serving her, but she was so snotty she didn;t bother.

Josie Lawrence. I remember seeing her on live daytime TV years ago, they brought out a cake with candles on it, she leaned over it and set her hair slightly on fire. She wasn't amused.
I was though. :)

How's this one -

I corresponded for a decade with a Canadian Fortean, just recently deceased, and in the course of our exchanges I pointed out that I was never a rock fan, and that the only two rock bands I ever (willingly) listened to were Bill Haley and Ronnie Hawkins (Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks).

She wrote back almost immediately to tell me that her sister was married to Ronnie Hawkins' son and that she was the grandchildrens' godmother.

"Those are the nephews and niece I've been telling you about for years."

Now that the election campaign has started is it a good time to mention that Lord Ashcroft and I are members of the same Masonic Lodge.

If his tax status allows him to turn up again that might put half the new cabinet with in a couple of degrees.

I am just 2 degrees from all sorts of famous people via having a family member who works in tv (UK) and friends in the entertainment industry here, some well known themselves. None of it excites me very much though, but I love unexpected links in the chain of who knows who.
Such as: my sons auntie flew over to the other side of the world, met a guy & they later got married over this side of the world. At the reception I sat opposite one of the grooms best friends who is a skinhead from America who'd flown into Australia for the first time especially for the wedding. I had a good online friend who is an American skinhead from the same city & of course it turned out they new each other.
Fast forward a few years & I find an old Australian punky type friend who now lives in America on facebook and the American skinhead I met at the wedding. They both live in the same city and know each other too.

Mind you, I guess we've all got music in common so it's not as remarkable as it would be if we didn't...

I just watched this on iPlayer:

The Boats That Built Britain - 2. The Pickle

HMS Pickle is the unsung hero of the British navy. In 1805 Britain had just won the most significant sea battle in history - Trafalgar. But how to get the message home to an expectant nation? Enter the Pickle, the smallest ship in the fleet, a little boat with a revolutionary new design that beat her bigger rivals back to Britain to deliver the news. Sailor and writer Tom Cunliffe sets out in the Pickle and tells the story of a boat that, against all the odds, delivered the most important news in Britain's maritime history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... he_Pickle/

Well, the Pickle sailed to Falmouth (where I now live) on that famous voyage, and I've sailed in many other locations used in the programme, but my claim to fame here is that I sailed with the prog's presenter, Tom Cunliffe, for a couple of days back in 1992. 8)

Back