• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spam (Canned Meat Product)

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later ... A Hong Kong food company has developed a meatless Spam product.
Derided in the West, spam is so beloved in Asia that one company has invented a meat-free version of it

In a brightly lit restaurant in downtown Hong Kong, the meaty smell of fried spam fills the air.

As other staff prepare for the lunchtime rush, a cook is putting the finishing touches to a bowl of instant noodles, egg and spam, a dish so popular and iconic of local cuisine that it has its own shorthand in Cantonese (chaan daan mihn).

But this bowl is different: despite being topped with two pink slabs of luncheon meat, it doesn't actually contain any animal products. The "spam" is vegan, a meat-free alternative developed by OmniFoods, a Hong Kong-based food producer and social enterprise.

Like its US-based competitors Beyond Meat and Impossible, OmniFoods targets both vegetarians and meat-eaters with its plant-based foods, seeking to provide an ethical alternative that is less-environmentally damaging than meat.

While Beyond and Impossible started out focused on beef, "from the beginning, it was very obvious that in Asia, the most-consumed meat is pork," said OmniFoods founder David Yeung.

According to the OECD, on average, Koreans eat 31.2 kilograms (69 lb) of pork per year, while people in mainland China eat 24.4 kg, both well above the international average of 11.1 kg.

After selling a "minced pork" product to both consumers and chains like Starbucks in China, Yeung said a plant-based alternative to spam, or luncheon meat, was always the clear next step.

That's because while it has a less than stellar reputation in many Western countries, spam is beloved in much of Asia. According to recent market research, the Asia-Pacific region accounts for some 39% of luncheon meat sales, with China, South Korea and Japan among the top consumers. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/26/asia/spam-asia-cuisine-omnifoods-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

Boxed up spam in Oahu Walmart. Perhaps it gets stolen a lot? ..

aspambox.jpg

Boxed up spam in Oahu Walmart. Perhaps it gets stolen a lot? ..

View attachment 34298
I bet it's to prevent the keys being taken off the cans. There is always...always, in any supermarket however small, some local 'joker' who thinks it's highly amusing to take items from the freezer and shove them behind the cans of pop or to place random confectionary goods behind the crisps. We don't sell SPAM, but I bet if we did, same joker would laugh themselves sick at the thought of a person buying said SPAM and finding that the key was missing. Or that we had to waste off forty cans because someone ...ha ha, chortle chortle....had taken off the keys.

And we're not allowed to kill them. Tch.

What I don't understand is why has the key remained as the supplied source of opening the can?
Surely it's a terrible, archaic form of getting into the contents?
The makers really should have come up with a more sensible alternative a long, long time ago.
Maybe make the can more like a clam-shell with a release strip that pulls out along the edge, but which is contained within the wrapper to prevent it being messed with?

I bet it's to prevent the keys being taken off the cans. There is always...always, in any supermarket however small, some local 'joker' who thinks it's highly amusing to take items from the freezer and shove them behind the cans of pop or to place random confectionary goods behind the crisps. We don't sell SPAM, but I bet if we did, same joker would laugh themselves sick at the thought of a person buying said SPAM and finding that the key was missing. Or that we had to waste off forty cans because someone ...ha ha, chortle chortle....had taken off the keys.

And we're not allowed to kill them. Tch.
Every home should have a spare spam key in the kitchen drawer.

Because if you really need some emergency spam or corned beef in a hurry and haven’t got a tin opener.....
I've no idea why Spam hasn't moved to the ring pull opening like just about every other product.

Yup, I seldom eat tinned meat but its a nice thing to have in the `just in case` drawer.
No. No, it isn't.... <shudder> Imagine being desperate and really hungry and going into the cupboard, and all there is is.....Spam!

The horror.

It has. It's surprisingly hard to find an image of the top of a tin of spam. But Amazon has everything: Spam tin from all angles
However the tin of Princes corned beef I have in the cupboard still proudly sports a key.
All the stuff in the local supermarket that stocks it has a key. As does the luncheon meat. Mind you, I live in rural Yorkshire, the stuff has probably been on the shelves since the war.

All the stuff in the local supermarket that stocks it has a key. As does the luncheon meat. Mind you, I live in rural Yorkshire, the stuff has probably been on the shelves since the war.
Which war?

I've no idea why Spam hasn't moved to the ring pull opening like just about every other product.
Most ring pull tins leave a small flange (now there is a word im suprise hasnt made it into the 'words and phrases that make you cringe' thread) around the opening, thus making the corned beef/spam neigh on impossible to remove intact :p

We used to have something call breakfast slices, which were similar to bacon grills but in rashers like bacon, when we went camping, that im sure came in a key opened tin, they were great

Battered spam fritters from the chippy were great, you just needed to be careful of the grease running down your chin when you bit into them.

Back