• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It wasn't meant to be plausible though, but to be aspirational. Humanity was supposed to have ironed out the kinks by that time.

In the first re-boot movie Spock and Uhura were romantically involved which is a total departure from the original series.
What was the reaction to that? Can't remember, but I don't think it was as controversial as Sulu having a male partner.

At a casual glance it would seem that, for many people, same sex attraction is still more problematic than opposite sex attraction.

It wasn't meant to be plausible though, but to be aspirational. Humanity was supposed to have ironed out the kinks by that time.

That's a fair correction.

I meant to suggest that for me it was too fantastical for any political points beyond the trite to seem to pertain to the real world: not really a portrait of a society, more the collective neuroses of a bunch of stereotypes - like The Breakfast Club in space.

It's worth remembering that Star Trek isn't Mills and Boon in space, in spite of its romantic diversions down the years. It's supposed to be about humanity of all sorts proving themselves worthy citizens of the universe. And getting into great big fights.

The old series did show Uhura having an interest in Spock, it just didn't go go further with it. I usually want to avoid romance in my shows, but it was interesting to see a vulcan in a relationship.

The old series did show Uhura having an interest in Spock, it just didn't go go further with it. I usually want to avoid romance in my shows, but it was interesting to see a vulcan in a relationship.

Then this'll be right up your alley...

Last edited:
82854396-spock-illogical.jpg

If Sulu is gay, one wonders how his daughter Demora turns up, as seen in Generations...

Not just in Generations, Sulu has a kid in Star Trek Beyond.

Yes. Many gay people spend time in their youth trying very hard to be straight. Sometimes, children and conventional marriages are a by-product of this in-the-closet stage of denial and indecision.

But equally, gay couples can decide to have children too.

Where will they keep the foetus, in a box? Anyway, did Sulu ever have a relationsship in TOS? I don't recall one.

Where will they keep the foetus, in a box? Anyway, did Sulu ever have a relationsship in TOS? I don't recall one.

I believe foetuses are kept in a womb until they mature, but I'm no expert. Better ask Rufus Wainwright or Elton John.

Sulu didn't have/mention romantic relationships in the original, as far as I know, which presumably makes him the obvious choice for homosexuality in the new movie.

This brings up an interesting possibility that I doubt they'll ever explore. Harlan Ellison would say Roddenberry's favourite ST plot would be to have the crew of the Enterprise meet God, and it's true that happens in many variations across the series he was involved with. So what if Sulu was God? One of the crew had been the deity and hiding in plain sight? Go on, Simon Pegg, use that in the next one, I dares ya!

Has anyone seen Beyond yet? Is it worth a trip to the kino?

Only heard one review on the radio so far, but the bloke said it was pretty great. Only a matter of time before the backlash...

I enjoyed the new film. I didn't take to the second one so much, so was pleased this one didn't suck sack. Still annoyed that Nimoy had charge of the Spock character for decades and managed to maintain the integrity of the character while still expanding his boundaries, while Quinto has turned him into an emotional wreck in his short tenure (not exactly Quinto's fault, I know), and that trajectory continues in Star Trek Beyond. I would describe this film as a ride. It jumps into the action early on and with humour and dripping in sappy camaraderie it maintains the pace.
And rock'n'roll saves the day.:clap:

Has anyone seen Beyond yet? Is it worth a trip to the kino?
I wasn't expecting to like it because Simon Peg wrote it but I was wrong .. I mainly enjoyed the conversations between Dr Bones and Spock and other character interactions .. they were great but as the Mrs pointed out (she's a hardcore treky/trekor), "I don't know what's going on now" .. she was referring to the CGI wank-a-fest on screen that had lots of exploding space ships and stuff on and on and on. despite that, it was better than I thought it would be.

This is a new one on me today and I'm looking forward to hopefully watching it .. a biopic about the pilot episode getting made suitably called 'The Pilot' ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75817

Last edited:
Back