• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
:lol: Grey, grey, grey......... :lol:

note: .....'it's me........Sybok'. Did anybody else feel as though gameshowspeak had entered the trekverse?

Onix_Martinez said:
Mob1138 said:
Onix_Martinez said:
Is not canon.

Arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh!!!

Sorry.

It's ok, the whole debate about whether something is 'canon' in Star Trek ( or Dr Who, comics, anything) has developed over the years into something a bit fun to something that has ruined fandom thanks to anal types wondering why William Shatner's hair is slightly different in two scenes of Star Trek 2.

Good shatner, evil shatner. Fandom has been united once more.

Reputedly Matt Damon will be playing the young Kirk in this new Star Trek thing... I'll believe it when I see it.

Are you absolutely sure?

I wonder who will play a young McCoy?

I'd cast Steve Buscemi as McCoy. I think he'd add a whole new dimension to him.

Just so long as it isn't Will Ferrell in yet another piece of mis-firing, "ironic" casting.

gncxx said:
Reputedly Matt Damon will be playing the young Kirk in this new Star Trek thing... I'll believe it when I see it.
Particularly daft when you consider Shatner was 35 when the first series of Star Trek aired, and that Matt Damon will be 36 this year.

And he's not even Jewish either! This is going to be a fiasco, mark my words.

High production values and it seems the replicator can produce chips and ginger!

But what is about??? What's the plot? Is there one?

:laughing:

Slightly old news but with a bit of CGI Shatner could play himself - then he can just do the voiceover and collect paycheck.

Damon to play the young Captain Kirk
Friday, June 23 2006, 12:31 BST - by Susanna Regan

'The Bourne Supremacy' / Universal
The Bourne Identity star Matt Damon is apparently top in the running to play Captain Kirk in the latest Star Trek film.

The project will be directed by Lost creator JJ Abrams, who is supposedly keen to have Damon in the role.

The Sun also reports that actor William Shatner, who played the original Kirk, "gave his blessing".

While the plot of the movie is yet to be confirmed, rumours abound that it will feature Kirk and Spock during their time at the Starfleet Academy or the pairs first meeting aboard the Enterprise.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds34318.html

That's unfortunately got me thinking of the Star Trek 'slash fiction' my Trek obsessed lodger used to tell me about, usually involving a young Kirk in pink tafeta ballgown declaring his undying love for Spock :shock: :D

Don't know about the taffeta, but the gay Star Trek fan fiction is actually where the term "slash" comes from, as it was referred to as "Kirk/Spock".

And thus an entire new form of fandom was born.

Hasn't Abrams now ditched the Starfleet Academy idea?

Dammit. I missed "The Cage" and "The Man Trap" during the recent BBC-2 repeat series. Could some kind soul please do me a DVD copy. Please?

My Love Affair With Star Trek

By Lore Sjöberg| Also by this reporter
02:00 AM Aug, 31, 2006

September marks the 40th anniversary of Star Trek, which started with a show about a shape-shifting creature who seduces, then sucks the salt out of people. This pretty much set the tone for the series, which over the ensuing decades has morphed many times, managing to survive by seducing its audience while quite often sucking.

I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, but the original series came and went before I was even born. I hadn't even seen "The Space Seed" -- Ricardo Montalban's debut as Khan Noonien Singh -- when at 12 years old I watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Luckily you don't need a lot of back story to appreciate slimy brain worms and William Shatner yelling "KHAAAAAN!" It was pure fun for me, undiluted by cynicism.

The same couldn't be said at the premiere of Star Trek: The Next Generation five years later. Adolescence had snuck up on me, and while I enjoyed the first season more than it probably deserved, I was fully aware of the camp of the first series, much of which survived quite comfortably in the Next Generation.

You only have to witness some of Troi's more pathos-driven moments of empathy, or some of the sillier attempts to create a new species with a few wads of latex, to see it in action. But at the same time, I watched Next Generation most weeks, and talked about it earnestly with my friends.

It was about this time that the War on Irony began. I read more than one essay snarlingly decrying my generation's supposed detached irony. For some reason, nothing annoys some people more than seeing someone wear a T-shirt for a band they don't really like. Insincerity! Moral ambiguity! Consumerist nihilism!

Still, I laughed as much as anyone at the thigh-high skirts and sky-high beehives in the original series. I could do the same crappy Shatner impression that any geek is willing to whip out at the slightest provocation. Did that mean I didn't really like the original series? Was I, horror of horrors, being ironic?

I thought it over, and decided that Star Trek -- in both the original and Next Generation flavors -- was silly and melodramatic, with dubious special effects, laughable science and a lurid obsession with cross-species insemination. I also decided it was genuinely captivating, with iconic but well-rounded characters and stories that spoke more clearly and honestly about the human condition than any number of ostensibly more realistic shows.

There was no separating the two Treks, the vacuous and the visionary. It's no coincidence that one of the most legendary episodes -- "The Trouble with Tribbles" -- was essentially a comic take on the show's established themes.

Given some distance from the moment, I realize this is actually an entirely healthy attitude. It's the attitude we should take about everything in life, and ourselves in particular. Aristotle once said, "Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor: For a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."

In other words, nothing's so serious that we should let it destroy our sense of humor, and nothing so silly that we should blind ourselves to the truths it might be carrying. And if there's anything Kirk taught me, it's that there's always a third way.

Star Trek is serious and ridiculous, heavy and light, outlandish and undeniable. I keep hearing that they're going to try to revive it in some new form once again. If they can infuse it with that same ineffable duality, then they'll be halfway to getting it right.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,716 ... wn_index_6

My Love Affair With Star Trek

By Lore Sjöberg| Also by this reporter
02:00 AM Aug, 31, 2006

September marks the 40th anniversary of Star Trek, which started with a show about a shape-shifting creature who seduces, then sucks the salt out of people. This pretty much set the tone for the series, which over the ensuing decades has morphed many times, managing to survive by seducing its audience while quite often sucking.

I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, but the original series came and went before I was even born. I hadn't even seen "The Space Seed" -- Ricardo Montalban's debut as Khan Noonien Singh -- when at 12 years old I watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Luckily you don't need a lot of back story to appreciate slimy brain worms and William Shatner yelling "KHAAAAAN!" It was pure fun for me, undiluted by cynicism.

The same couldn't be said at the premiere of Star Trek: The Next Generation five years later. Adolescence had snuck up on me, and while I enjoyed the first season more than it probably deserved, I was fully aware of the camp of the first series, much of which survived quite comfortably in the Next Generation.

You only have to witness some of Troi's more pathos-driven moments of empathy, or some of the sillier attempts to create a new species with a few wads of latex, to see it in action. But at the same time, I watched Next Generation most weeks, and talked about it earnestly with my friends.

It was about this time that the War on Irony began. I read more than one essay snarlingly decrying my generation's supposed detached irony. For some reason, nothing annoys some people more than seeing someone wear a T-shirt for a band they don't really like. Insincerity! Moral ambiguity! Consumerist nihilism!

Still, I laughed as much as anyone at the thigh-high skirts and sky-high beehives in the original series. I could do the same crappy Shatner impression that any geek is willing to whip out at the slightest provocation. Did that mean I didn't really like the original series? Was I, horror of horrors, being ironic?

I thought it over, and decided that Star Trek -- in both the original and Next Generation flavors -- was silly and melodramatic, with dubious special effects, laughable science and a lurid obsession with cross-species insemination. I also decided it was genuinely captivating, with iconic but well-rounded characters and stories that spoke more clearly and honestly about the human condition than any number of ostensibly more realistic shows.

There was no separating the two Treks, the vacuous and the visionary. It's no coincidence that one of the most legendary episodes -- "The Trouble with Tribbles" -- was essentially a comic take on the show's established themes.

Given some distance from the moment, I realize this is actually an entirely healthy attitude. It's the attitude we should take about everything in life, and ourselves in particular. Aristotle once said, "Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor: For a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."

In other words, nothing's so serious that we should let it destroy our sense of humor, and nothing so silly that we should blind ourselves to the truths it might be carrying. And if there's anything Kirk taught me, it's that there's always a third way.

Star Trek is serious and ridiculous, heavy and light, outlandish and undeniable. I keep hearing that they're going to try to revive it in some new form once again. If they can infuse it with that same ineffable duality, then they'll be halfway to getting it right.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,716 ... wn_index_6

FORTY YEARS AGO TODAY!!!!!!

Happy Birthday Star Trek and thanks for all the good times and thoughts you've given me!!!

And now to celebrate they're putting in brand new computerised special effects to replace the charming sixties ones in the original series. Let's call it George Lucas Syndrome.

gncxx said:
And now to celebrate they're putting in brand new computerised special effects to replace the charming sixties ones in the original series. Let's call it George Lucas Syndrome.

Part of the fun of Star Trek was how many times they'd use those stock shot of the Enterprise orbiting a planet in an episode. And spotting the detail differences between the models.

The Times September 11, 2006

How the starship Enterprise appeared in the original series of Star Trek and how the ship looks after the revamp

Updated Star Trek is not so much the final frontier as final straw
By Guy Clapperton and Jack Malvern

FOR 40 years the original Star Trek crew has boldly gone in a wobbly spaceship apparently suspended on strings and has skirted a final frontier that has an abundance of mysteriously deserted cities.

Now the owners of the 1960s series have replaced the less convincing aspects of Captain James T. Kirk’s adventures aboard the starship Enterprise with computer-generated special effects. But the move has outraged the most ardent fans, who have gone online to argue that their childhood memories are being erased.

One respondent wrote that it was comparable to painting the statue of David by Michelangelo. “Star Trek, with its papier-mâché rocks and bridge of primary colours, is classic. You can’t fix Star Trek because it’s not broken.”

The Enterprise has been replaced with a computer-generated model that will look cleaner and fly more smoothly. Planets that looked as if they had been painted on boards have been replaced with digital animations. Animators have also placed people moving past the windows of previously derelict-looking settlements that were filmed in long shot.

Special effects technicians have also corrected one of the hardest shots to create in the mid-1960s: planet Earth. Although the first satellite photograph of Earth was taken in 1960, images were not readily available to the programme’s art department. Their guesswork has now been replaced by a more accurate model.

Mike Okuda, who led the team re-creating the special effects, is at pains to point out that he has not made fundamental changes to the series, which was created by Gene Roddenberry.

He said that the new Enterprise was based on caliper measurements of the original, adding: “Our goal is to always ask ourselves: what would Roddenberry have done with today’s technology?” He said that rubber aliens and dated-looking technology such as static graphics on computer screens had been left. The similar planets, all filled with the same polystyrene rocks, have also been left untouched in the revamp.

Dave Rossi, of CBS Digital Media, said that the team had been careful not to alter the programme’s iconic images, such as the Enterprise. “We are not adding fins, we are not making it do barrel rolls,” he said.

But Jay Rath, an American journalist and author, described the rerelease as an “horrendous artistic affront”.

Another respondent, on an internet bulletin board, said that the original series withstood the passing of time better than its successors. “Frankly, they should CGI most of modern Trek to make it as realistic as the original series was.”

Other commentators welcomed the changes. David Bradley, editor of SFX magazine, said that the original version had become dated. “Some of those special effects, particularly the external shots of the Enterprise, are due for a revamp. It’s good to note that the team are treating the show with respect.”

America will see the first revamped episode on Saturday. The shows will be broadcast out of sequence to show off the best special effects first. No date has been set for a British broadcast or DVD release.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2351954,00.html

Is this a case of "Once it's been pissed in it'll taste better"?

I think if they're gonna get all computer animated on the TOS, they should do it right and convert them all to Star Trek : The Animated Series.

Or maybe produce DVDs where the viewer can select the form the story is presented in - traditional "TV stage play", photorealistic, cartoon, musical, Western, seafaring, bunnies in 30 seconds, Indonesian shadow puppets or choose your own adventure story.

:(

Disgusting, and a disrespectful insult to the original special effects team.

(edited to add)

Just imagine how these jackasses could "improve" Citizen Kane, Orson Welles as an unstoppable liquid metal cyborg, the sled Rosebud reimagineered into a hovercar...

Damn right Dreeness. I know the special effects weren't great but i'm sure for the time they were not that bad. And when your a kid you don't really care about the effects so much. Doctor Who never had the greatest effects but it was still great TV. Imagine if they wanted to redo Jason and the Argonauts (especially the fighting skeletons) . Those effects look way out of date now but at they time they were cutting edge.

Let's hope they never decide to "fix" the classic episodes of Doctor Who.
The fun, the charm, the very soul of that show was the "this is what we've got and we're going with it" attitude. (K-9 was a box on wheels, and that's precisely what made him great.)

Back