• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The Chief Engineer is Anear. They appeared in Enterprise. They are from Andoria but even the Andorians didn't think they existed (a bit like finding Bigfoot now I suppose). The y first appeared in a 3 episode arc (In Series 4) starting with 'Babel' if you want to look them up. I enjoyed the last series of Enterprise though I may be in the minority there.
I thought Enterprise was just hitting its stride when they cancelled it, mind it took its time to get there.

I thought Enterprise was just hitting its stride when they cancelled it, mind it took its time to get there.
Agreed I have said it here before probably several times :) that 'in a mirror darkly' is as good as any other Trek. I would love to see a Star Trek series set in this universe but only dealing with how the Terran Empire rose to power.

The Chief Engineer is Anear. They appeared in Enterprise. They are from Andoria but even the Andorians didn't think they existed (a bit like finding Bigfoot now I suppose). The y first appeared in a 3 episode arc (In Series 4) starting with 'Babel' if you want to look them up. I enjoyed the last series of Enterprise though I may be in the minority there.
Ah thank you, they are blind, peaceful, and albino? Don't know about the minority but in my opinion the only entertaining things about Enterprise were the beagle and frequent appearances by Jeffrey Combs.

Strange New Worlds episode 5 - Spock Amok was a glorious prequel to TOS episode Amok-Time.
I lost count of how many hat-tips to the original there were - Spock banging the gong, the evocative music from when Spock fought Kirk, first use of the Vulcan salute, Spock's shirt being cut open exactly as Kirk's was and nurse Chapel almost revealing her feelings.
A light-hearted episode that really transports the ST fan back to the whole vibe of TOS.

I'm just catching up on the SNW Series and in general I think it is very good. I like the style and the storylines have been very TOS like but I do have a big quibble with the end of Episode 3. It was all wrapped up too quickly, the solution was explained in 2 lines of dialogue that were doing a lot of heavy lifting. I hope this isn't a trend.

Strange New Worlds episode 5 - Spock Amok was a glorious prequel to TOS episode Amok-Time.
I lost count of how many hat-tips to the original there were - Spock banging the gong, the evocative music from when Spock fought Kirk, first use of the Vulcan salute, Spock's shirt being cut open exactly as Kirk's was and nurse Chapel almost revealing her feelings.
A light-hearted episode that really transports the ST fan back to the whole vibe of TOS.
Agreed. I should have noted in my comment above that the person playing T'Pring is a fine comedian. I hope we see more of her subject to the known plot line.

The final episode has some rather good lighting and camera work, some of it similar to TOS but handled better.

Episode 6 of STSNW - Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach, was easily the weakest of the otherwise excellent series to date.
Captain Pike seemed to be the only one who couldn't see the rather telegraphed twist coming.

According to this article:

https://www.space.com/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-season-1-episode-6-review

... it was a rehash of a story planned for TOS that didn't make the cut (and I can see why).

Hopefully STSNW will be back to its usual standard next week.

After last week's silliness, a definite return to form with ST SNW episode 7 - The Serene Squall.
Plenty of action, courtesy of space pirates (nice to see a viridescent Orion doing the Long John Silver thing) and captain Pike gets tortured to the extent that his hair-do goes slightly awry. The Chapel/Spock thing develops a bit further (how far can they take that and still remain canonical?) and the mid-episode twist genuinely blindsided me for once. Nice revelation at the end too.

Last edited:
I bet actor Scott Jaeck thought he was especially lucky to have landed the role of Lt. Commander Cavit in a new Star Trek series called 'Voyager'.
If only he had read the scripts.
(from Memory Alpha)
"...Cavit readied Voyager and coordinated its departure from Deep Space 9 to head to the Badlands. There, it was hit by a massive displacement wave, later found to have been generated by the Caretaker's array. As a result of the impact, Cavit was killed instantly and Voyager became stranded in the Delta Quadrant."
1658488342199.png

I bet actor Scott Jaeck thought he was especially lucky to have landed the role of Lt. Commander Cavit in a new Star Trek series called 'Voyager'.
If only he had read the scripts.
(from Memory Alpha)
"...Cavit readied Voyager and coordinated its departure from Deep Space 9 to head to the Badlands. There, it was hit by a massive displacement wave, later found to have been generated by the Caretaker's array. As a result of the impact, Cavit was killed instantly and Voyager became stranded in the Delta Quadrant."
View attachment 57403
He didn't need to read the script. The shirt man, the shirt.

There was some images at Comic Con for Picard season 3 which indicates he will be getting the band back together.

STSNW episode 9 was superbly entertaining but, oh boy, how many hat-tips to the Alien franchise could they cram in?
The homologues to the chest-burster, rapidly growing alien, Newt, tracking and trapping the beast and Ripley's sacrifice at the end of Alien 3 were pretty blatant.
Brave move too to kill off a major character.
Can't wait for next Wednesday's season finale.

STSNW episode 9 was superbly entertaining but, oh boy, how many hat-tips to the Alien franchise could they cram in?
The homologues to the chest-burster, rapidly growing alien, Newt, tracking and trapping the beast and Ripley's sacrifice at the end of Alien 3 were pretty blatant.
Brave move too to kill off a major character.
Can't wait for next Wednesday's season finale.
Yes I noticed that too and I'm a few episodes behand you. Although my description might range from "homage" to "outright theft."

Has anyone spotted this before.

In the first of the new Star Trek movies, it's established that going back in time creates an alternative timeline. In Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the crew leaves Earth as a probe looking for humpback whales destroys everything. They go back in time, get some whales and return to just before the probe destroys everything to placate it.

Did they just abandon their original Earth to a horrific fate to create a cushy world for themselves?

Has anyone spotted this before.

In the first of the new Star Trek movies, it's established that going back in time creates an alternative timeline. In Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the crew leaves Earth as a probe looking for humpback whales destroys everything. They go back in time, get some whales and return to just before the probe destroys everything to placate it.

Did they just abandon their original Earth to a horrific fate to create a cushy world for themselves?
No, they saved Earth before it could be destroyed.

No, they saved Earth before it could be destroyed.
I'll have to watch it again, but I remember them returning a few moments before the last thing we saw as they were leaving, which means that timeline must have continued.

I'll have to watch it again, but I remember them returning a few moments before the last thing we saw as they were leaving, which means that timeline must have continued.
It did. they arrived back just as they were leaving to travel back in time (as bonkers as that sounds). The difference with the new films and why its a different timeline is because history was altered by the Kelvin being destroyed and also Vulcan. In Star Trek IV they were trying not to interfere with the past so they didn't change the future. In another universe they might not have saved the whales and the Earth would have been destroyed.

It did. they arrived back just as they were leaving to travel back in time (as bonkers as that sounds). The difference with the new films and why its a different timeline is because history was altered by the Kelvin being destroyed and also Vulcan. In Star Trek IV they were trying not to interfere with the past so they didn't change the future. In another universe they might not have saved the whales and the Earth would have been destroyed.
So, nothing is seen to happen after they left that didn't also happen when they returned? Because, in my memory, there was far more destruction when they motored off to the Sun than when they returned.

It occurs to me that Rick and Morty played with this idea. Could it be that every time someone goes into the past to change an unpleasant present, they're just abandoning their universe to its fate because it's easier to spin out a new universe?

So, nothing is seen to happen after they left that didn't also happen when they returned? Because, in my memory, there was far more destruction when they motored off to the Sun than when they returned.

It occurs to me that Rick and Morty played with this idea. Could it be that every time someone goes into the past to change an unpleasant present, they're just abandoning their universe to its fate because it's easier to spin out a new universe?
They returned to the exact time with the whales as they left to get the whales. There was a scene with a window smashing and the president trying to get in contact with Kirk just as he was leaving and this was the same scene that they arrived back in flying under the Golden gate bridge. So there was no deliberate universe changing as far as i can tell.

The Star Trek IV crew were merely fulfilling the actions that occurred in the past in order for their 'present' to exist, returning from that 'past' at just the right time to enable their 'present' to continue.
This is cleverly dealt with in the film with the scene in which Kirk pawns his antique spectacles, and when it is pointed out that they were a present from Bones, Kirk replies with something like "And they will be again, that's the beauty of it" or some such.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'd rewatch the movie but I'd have to fork out for it.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'd rewatch the movie but I'd have to fork out for it.
I'm sure they'll re-run it on one of your TV channels at some point.
I mean, it's only on TV once every 3 weeks here.
Or at least it seems like it.

You'll either love this or it'll make you want to vomit.

De-ageing the Star Trek VI cast. Is that Scotty Bieber?

FaGEXrAXoAAdC77.jpeg
FaGEV2pXkAEIluE.jpeg

Watched the first episode of Star Trek Prodigy. Didn't care for it. As the episodes are short I gave the second one a go. They introduced on if my least favourite characters from my least favourite iteration of Star Trek. I'm out. Fortunately new episodes of Lower Decks are appearing so that will keep me happy.

Watched the first episode of Star Trek Prodigy. Didn't care for it. As the episodes are short I gave the second one a go. They introduced on if my least favourite characters from my least favourite iteration of Star Trek. I'm out. Fortunately new episodes of Lower Decks are appearing so that will keep me happy.

I don't think you're the targeted audience.
Rather like Lower Decks, it's aimed at the barely teenager (PG-13) viewer.

Glad you're a fan - as there aren't that many apparently.
Lower decks seems to be consistently voted the worst Star Trek series ever.

https://nerdist.com/article/star-trek-series-ranked/
I binged the first couple of seasons of Lower Decks last year, I think. It's the franchise trying to keep up with the modern trend for adult animation, and as such is perhaps a bit behind the excesses, but I think it does a good job. Apart from Picard, it's the only Star Trek I can be bothered with. At least it's funny.

Back