• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

This is all so weird. I keep seeing thumbnails of these cups on my YouTube feed recently and clicked on one to find out what it is all about. People are fighting and punching each other and hoarding masses of these things. :freak:
They were as cheap as chips from China until some con artist persuaded everybody that they were valuable.

I've had a stainless steel Thermos insulated tumbler for several years and take it when I go for my early morning strolls. It was much cheaper and keeps my coffee hot just as long as the Stanley version. I suspect it's down to "influencers" and the easily influenced.

I thought the Stanley Cup was something to do with the National Hockey League but I know nothing!

I don't understand this ... wouldn't it be too dangerous to have an unwilling babysitter?

Rotterdam woman (45) arrested on suspicion of exploiting underage woman
A 45-year-old Rotterdam woman was arrested on Monday on suspicion of exploiting an underage woman. The victim, who does not hold a valid residence permit, was allegedly forced by the woman to work as a babysitter for her child for months.

It sounds like a 'modern slavery' situation. They employ a young migrant worker as house 'staff', insist on keeping their documentation from them, control their interaction with others (useful if the worker has little of the 'native' language) and basically use them as slave labour. Think of this: being programmed to take the employers control, would they DARE to harm their 'owners' children?

This could have resulted in a catastrophe, it might have chased a Chevrolet Impala, Vid at link.

Police in Thailand have arrested a woman whose pet lion was pictured going on a joyride in the streets of Pattaya.

A video that has now gone viral shows the chained lion cub seated in the back of a white, open-top Bentley. The lion was being driven about by a Sri Lankan man who has since left the country, and is believed to be a friend of the woman, Sawangjit Kosoongnern. While it is not illegal to own a lion in Thailand, it needs to be officially registered.

Authorities in Thailand said Sawangjit claimed to have bought the animal from a Thai man in Nakhon Pathom province, who successfully facilitated its delivery to Pattaya. However he failed to have his facility checked by officials before doing so, which made both the transfer and ownership of the animal illegal. She is therefore facing charges of possessing a controlled wild animal without permission, which carries a penalty of a year's imprisonment and a fine of up to 100,000 baht ($2,800; £2,200).

Police were also reportedly looking to charge the Sri Lankan man, who had kept the lion in his rented pool villa, but were unable to as he is no longer in Thailand. He was due to be charged with bringing a controlled wild animal into public places, which carries jail time of up to six months and a fine of 50,000 baht.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68091153

That thing about Stanley cups is weird. A few years ago, I found one lost or abandoned on a bus seat in Canterbury. I rescued it and took it home, as you do, noticed it had the Stanley logo on it and wondered vaguely if this was one of those label-more-valuable-than-the-item things. I also noted the feature allowing you to depress a button and drink from it was worse than useless, as it only allowed the tiniest little sip before closing up and hinting "that's your lot".

It still accompanied me to work for several years as it did indeed keep hot drinks hot: but the best way to drink from it was to unscrew the whole damn top and treat it as a normal cup. Oh, and looking it up online, I was intrigued that even then - about 2018 - the item retailed for £30 - £45, suggesting that the original owner had more money than sense, and must be sore they left it on a bus. Still got it somewhere...

That thing about Stanley cups is weird. A few years ago, I found one lost or abandoned on a bus seat in Canterbury. I rescued it and took it home, as you do, noticed it had the Stanley logo on it and wondered vaguely if this was one of those label-more-valuable-than-the-item things. I also noted the feature allowing you to depress a button and drink from it was worse than useless, as it only allowed the tiniest little sip before closing up and hinting "that's your lot".

It still accompanied me to work for several years as it did indeed keep hot drinks hot: but the best way to drink from it was to unscrew the whole damn top and treat it as a normal cup. Oh, and looking it up online, I was intrigued that even then - about 2018 - the item retailed for £30 - £45, suggesting that the original owner had more money than sense, and must be sore they left it on a bus. Still got it somewhere...
Problem now is you can't use it in public due to the embarrassment of being assumed to be a Tiktok slave if you do.:chuckle:

Now it's time to SWAT politicians.

Lawmakers around the US have been targeted by hoax calls known as "swatting".

Police rushed to the home of Florida Senator Rick Scott on Wednesday after receiving a hoax call that a gunman had killed his wife at the scene. And Georgia Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene said she was "swatted" on Christmas Day, with her family present.

Most of the swatting calls this week appeared to target Republican officials. No injuries were reported.

But some Democrats were also targeted, such as Boston Mayor Michelle Wu who also had a Swat team called to her home on Christmas.

Ms Greene, a prominent conservative supporter of Republican frontrunner Donald Trump, said on social media that it was just the latest in a series of hoax calls against her.

"I have been swatted 8 times but the FBI can't seem to figure out who is responsible for the swatting," she wrote on X, formerly Twitter.
Multiple officials in other states were also targeted by swatting attacks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67837637

Have they caught a mastermind behind the attacks.

For more than a year, the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has been hunting the person whom experts say is one of the most prolific swatters in American history. Law enforcement now believes they have finally arrested the person responsible.

A 17-year-old from California is allegedly the swatter known as Torswats, according to sources familiar with the investigation. The teenager is currently in custody and awaiting extradition from California to Seminole County, Florida. The Florida State Attorney’s Office tells WIRED that he faces four felony counts.

Seminole County, located in central Florida, had two high-profile swatting incidents within the last 12 months, including one targeting a mosque and another targeting a courthouse. Todd Brown, a spokesperson for Florida’s Office of the State Attorney in the 18th Circuit, confirmed the charges against the teen and his extradition. Brown says he will be prosecuted as an adult under Florida law. WIRED is withholding the 17-year-old’s name because he is a minor.

The teenager’s arrest comes in the midst of a nationwide swatting surge. Swatting attacks typically involve someone calling in fake attacks to 911 in an attempt to solicit an overwhelming police response. Since Christmas, swatters have targeted the homes of prominent politicians from both parties, judges handling cases involving former US president Donald Trump, and the director of the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.

Prior to these high-profile swats, a relentless campaign from different, potentially foreign, swatting groups targeted hundreds of schools and universities around the US over the past year and a half. Last May, an officer in Danvers, Massachusetts, accidentally fired his service weapon while responding to a school swat. In February, an officer in Saginaw Township, Michigan, rammed his vehicle through the school’s locked door to get inside the building following a swatting call.

According to the Florida State Attorney’s Office, the charges against the California teenager include making false reports concerning the planting of a bomb or the use of firearms, causing a law enforcement response. All charges are described as related to acts of terrorism and showing prejudice based on race, color, ancestry, ethnicity, or religion. ...

https://www.wired.com/story/torswats-swatting-arrest/

Have they caught a mastermind behind the attacks.

For more than a year, the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has been hunting the person whom experts say is one of the most prolific swatters in American history. Law enforcement now believes they have finally arrested the person responsible.

A 17-year-old from California is allegedly the swatter known as Torswats, according to sources familiar with the investigation.
Genius alias. No one would guess what he's up to. Allegedly.

This time it's about the quality of food;

Protesters have thrown soup at the glass-protected Mona Lisa painting in Paris.

The 16th Century painting by Leonardo da Vinci is one of the world's most famous artworks, and is held at the Louvre in Paris.

It sits behind bulletproof glass so is unlikely to have been damaged.

A video shows two female protesters wearing T-shirts reading "food response" throwing soup at the painting.

They then stand in front of it, demanding the right to "healthy and sustainable food", saying "our agricultural system is sick".
Museum security are then seen putting black screens in front of them before the room is evacuated.

The Mona Lisa has been behind safety glass since the early 1950s, when it was damaged by a visitor who poured acid on it.

In 2019, the museum said it had installed a more transparent form of bulletproof glass to protect it.

Video at link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68121654

They then stand in front of it, demanding the right to "healthy and sustainable food", saying "our agricultural system is sick".
I'm sorry, what?
They want better food... in France? The country that already boasts that it has the best food?
:dunno:

I'm sorry, what?
They want better food... in France? The country that already boasts that it has the best food?
:dunno:
I'd love to take them on a tour of the supermarkets here to see what they'd think about quality.
And especially the Friday 'market' which consists of four tables of a few dreary looking, tasteless vegetables at extortionate prices.

I can empathise with his frustration.

A man has been arrested in Mexico after opening an aeroplane's emergency door and walking on to the wing.

The man took action after the Guatemala City-bound plane had been stuck for hours on the tarmac without air conditioning or water for passengers.

Mexico International Airport said no harm had been caused, but that the passenger had been handed to police.

Fellow passengers, however, have written a joint statement, saying the man had everyone's support.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68121361

There's protests going on in several European countries over farming regulations and subsidies - the countries are trying to encourage sustainability and many large farming concerns aren't happy.
The 'narrative' is they attack the small, independent farmers whereas it doesn't. It just hits the corporate profits.
Or summat.

This time it's about the quality of food;

Protesters have thrown soup at the glass-protected Mona Lisa painting in Paris.

The 16th Century painting by Leonardo da Vinci is one of the world's most famous artworks, and is held at the Louvre in Paris.

It sits behind bulletproof glass so is unlikely to have been damaged.

A video shows two female protesters wearing T-shirts reading "food response" throwing soup at the painting.

Museum security are then seen putting black screens in front of them before the room is evacuated.

The Mona Lisa has been behind safety glass since the early 1950s, when it was damaged by a visitor who poured acid on it.

In 2019, the museum said it had installed a more transparent form of bulletproof glass to protect it.

Video at link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68121654
Well, I guess we in Canada are sol for this type of protest. We have The Group of Seven artworks, but nothing so notable nor costly as a Mona Lisa.:rolleyes:

How are these people really helping in addressing food scarcity and poverty?

There's protests going on in several European countries over farming regulations and subsidies - the countries are trying to encourage sustainability and many large farming concerns aren't happy.
The 'narrative' is they attack the small, independent farmers whereas it doesn't. It just hits the corporate profits.
Or summat.
The small independent farmers are already at risk because of the conglomerates. It is the conglomerates that have caused the most environmental harms.

A sad state of affairs.

Naked Woman In Convenience Store Rampage

A naked woman wielding a sharp-edged vegetable peeler threatened convenience store workers, destroyed a Red Bull display, and masturbated in front of sheriff’s deputies before being taken into custody last night on a variety of criminal charges, according to court records.

celiabarrett24.jpg

Investigators allege that Celia Barrett, 35, caused a drunken disturbance Sunday evening at a RaceTrac in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Barrett reportedly admitted to being intoxicated and said she had consumed “approx 6 shots of liquor.”

Charged with aggravated assault, disorderly intoxication, trespass, criminal mischief, and exposure of sexual organs, Barrett is being held in the county jail. Her extensive rap sheet includes convictions for battery, prostitution, criminal mischief, and narcotics possession.

https://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida/naked-woman-rampage-732940

maximus otter

Man expected to plead guilty to stealing Wizard of Oz slippers worn by Judy Garland​

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news...m?cvid=b6d0d81fc27c440cac22c254bf9f49d6&ei=21

Sickly thief avoids more prison time after stealing Judy Garland's slippers

Terry J. Martin, described by his attorney as an aging thief, will not serve more time in prison for stealing a pair the ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz," a judge ruled Monday morning at the Federal Courthouse.

Martin struck a plea deal with the federal government for time served.

He has been sick since 2018 and is currently in hospice.

Martin, from a wheelchair and carting an oxygen tank, pleaded guilty to stealing the slippers in mid-October 2023. In short, direct sentences told in his raspy voice, a few key points in a longtime Minnesota mystery were revealed. It was a late night smash-and-grab from the Judy Garland Museum in Grand Rapids in 2005 that involved little more than an after-hours visit and a sledge hammer.

https://news.yahoo.com/sickly-thief-avoids-more-prison-164500052.html

maximus otter

Sickly thief avoids more prison time after stealing Judy Garland's slippers

Terry J. Martin, described by his attorney as an aging thief, will not serve more time in prison for stealing a pair the ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz," a judge ruled Monday morning at the Federal Courthouse.

Martin struck a plea deal with the federal government for time served.

He has been sick since 2018 and is currently in hospice.

Martin, from a wheelchair and carting an oxygen tank, pleaded guilty to stealing the slippers in mid-October 2023. In short, direct sentences told in his raspy voice, a few key points in a longtime Minnesota mystery were revealed. It was a late night smash-and-grab from the Judy Garland Museum in Grand Rapids in 2005 that involved little more than an after-hours visit and a sledge hammer.

https://news.yahoo.com/sickly-thief-avoids-more-prison-164500052.html

maximus otter
There's no place like home.. there's no place like home .. there's no place like home ..

Either that or getting mugged for it.
I vaguely recalled Stanley cups and searched for images.
Years ago, I worked for a commercial auctioneers. One account they had was with John Lewis - they'd resell returned goods, goods with damaged packaging etc. Among other items such as DVD players, toys, ornaments, pots and pans etc. there were hundreds of Thermos flasks and cups, as well as Stanley cups.
I'm willing to bet that the firm is coining it in from the shysters coming in, buying up whole cardboard boxes of these then flogging them on ebay etc. That trade would be positively legit compared to some of their scams.

Thinking on it, would it be a conflict of interest for a mugger to use a Stanley knife in the crime?

Scooby-Don’t!

New Forest dog sitter tried to have sex with Great Dane

A dog sitter was caught on camera trying to have sex with a Great Dane he was supposed to be looking after.

17705526.jpg

Graham Robinson was house-sitting the six-year-old pet while its owner and her 12-year-old daughter were on holiday.

Robinson was unaware they had installed a security camera so they could keep an eye on the property while they were away.

The dog's owner said she installed the camera because she had a "gut feeling" that Robinson would not "respect" the house.

She added that Robinson's act had "completely ruined" her daughter's birthday.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/24090379.new-forest-dog-sitter-tried-sex-great-dane/

maximus otter

Scooby-Don’t!

New Forest dog sitter tried to have sex with Great Dane

A dog sitter was caught on camera trying to have sex with a Great Dane he was supposed to be looking after.

17705526.jpg

Graham Robinson was house-sitting the six-year-old pet while its owner and her 12-year-old daughter were on holiday.

Robinson was unaware they had installed a security camera so they could keep an eye on the property while they were away.

The dog's owner said she installed the camera because she had a "gut feeling" that Robinson would not "respect" the house.

She added that Robinson's act had "completely ruined" her daughter's birthday.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/24090379.new-forest-dog-sitter-tried-sex-great-dane/

maximus otter
Obviously revolting if Robinson had sexual intercourse with a dog but how has it "completely ruined" her 12 year old daughter's birthday? How did that even come up as a matter of conversation?. ... "Holy shit! .. someone's having sex with my dog! .. what should I do? .. I know!, I'll now usefully tell my 12 year old daughter all about it!." .. "Oh I don't know? .. it just, you know, seemed like a good idea at the time to expose my 12 year old daughter to the whole concept of bestiality".

Last edited:
Back