• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Well, he doesn't know and he has a degree in sports physiology and nutrition. His wife is a nurse.
Yeah and the doctors didn't know either, and it's their job!
You'd think some professor of tropical medicine would get involved.

Remember Olestra, the miracle fat substitute? It was supposed to make everyone slim by reducing the calories in their food.
Instead it gave consumers diarrhoea and anal leakage.

What a bargain. :cool:
A small price to pay to stay slim.

You can get insect burgers in Lidl

You’ve probably heard of burger patties – but what about bugger patties?

In a move sure to divide customer opinions, Lidl Ireland is now selling “Soya and Insect” burgers as part of their My Street Food range.

The burgers, which sell in packs of two for €2.99 each, are made from “textured soya flour and ground dried mealworm larva,” and are labelled “insect burgers” in stores.

The products’ packaging warns that it “may cause allergic reactions” in customers with have allergies to molluscs, dust mites, or crustaceans.

https://gript.ie/lidl-ireland-selling-insect-burgers-made-of-mealworm-larvae/

a) On what Lovecraftian street is that “street food”?

b) It’s essentially grass and squished insects, and they’re 1.5 Wipes each?

maximus otter

a) On what Lovecraftian street is that “street food”?

b) It’s essentially grass and squished insects, and they’re 1.5 Wipes each?

maximus otter
Every street in Cromer...

Someone had to say it.....:tumble:

Tracers in the dark
Andy Greenberg
(Book about bitcoin crime.)

At a particularly memorable point in the night, the KNPA agents had been comparing Korean and American food—ribbing the U.S. team for their alleged hot-dog-and-hamburger diets. One agent mentioned sannakji, a kind of small octopus that some Koreans eat not merely raw but alive and writhing. Tamsi had gamely responded that he’d try it.
A few minutes later, a couple of the Korean agents had brought to the table a fist-sized, living octopus wrapped around a chopstick. Tamsi put the entire squirming cephalopod in his mouth, chewed, and swallowed, even as its tentacles wriggled between his lips and black ink dripped from his face onto the table. “It was absolutely disgusting,” Faruqui remembers.
The Koreans found this hilarious. Tamsi gained near-legendary status within certain circles of the KNPA, where he was thereafter referred to as Octopus Guy.

Glad he's OK now.
I wonder what it actually was? There's a PhD in that.
Almost certainly amoebas - someone didn't wash their hands when preparing the food, or didn't wash the vegetables properly, or wasn't using clean water. Believe me, I know all about amoebas.

Almost certainly amoebas - someone didn't wash their hands when preparing the food, or didn't wash the vegetables properly, or wasn't using clean water. Believe me, I know all about amoebas.
Yup, when relations of mine went to Disneyland in Florida they were infected by a parasitic amoeba, they thought from a swimming pool.
I wonder if it was more likely from badly-handled food. Pools are full of chorine and other protective chemicals.

My relations had stomach upsets for weeks or months afterwards. They lost weight and looked a bit haggard.

Not a good advert for the Mouse! :chuckle:

'old on, 'old on - is this knowledge empirical?
Enquiring minds need to know.
Indeed. If you travel much in Latin America, you'll get all the first-hand experience you need sooner or later... And amoebas won't get better on their own. You need anti-parasitic medication, or you'll remain an amoeba colony. Amoebas are endemic in Latin America, due to poor hygiene.

Indeed. If you travel much in Latin America, you'll get all the first-hand experience you need sooner or later... And amoebas won't get better on their own. You need anti-parasitic medication, or you'll remain an amoeba colony.
Applies in India too. One of my brothers cleverly ate a poached egg purchased there from a street food vendor back in the '80s.
He was flown home on a drip, straight to hospital, and was still getting caught short months later.
There's a story about him passing our other brother a tenner under a pub toilet door to pay for new trousers.

Anyone fancy some cockle bread? ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockle_bread

acocklebread001.jpg

EU has no plans to force food manufacturers to clearly label when a product contains insects.

Stella Kyriakides, the EU’s Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, has confirmed that the bloc has no intentions of forcing manufacturers to clearly label whether a food product contains insects.

It comes shortly after the union approved the use of powdered house crickets and mealworms in products made for human consumption.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...el-food-containing-insects-official-confirms/

maximus otter

EU has no plans to force food manufacturers to clearly label when a product contains insects.

Stella Kyriakides, the EU’s Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, has confirmed that the bloc has no intentions of forcing manufacturers to clearly label whether a food product contains insects.

It comes shortly after the union approved the use of powdered house crickets and mealworms in products made for human consumption.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...el-food-containing-insects-official-confirms/

maximus otter

Fear not!

Will food containing insects be clearly labelled?​

Despite the environmental benefits, not everyone is pleased with the EU's new insect approval.

In France, right-wing politician Laurent Duplomb slammed the EU’s decision saying: “We cannot let the French eat insects without their knowledge.”

This concern stems from the mistaken idea that the EU will not require insects to be clearly labelled when they are mixed with other ingredients such as flour.

This is not the case. The fine print requires that the cricket powder be clearly labelled.

The packaging must also state that the "ingredient may cause allergic reactions to consumers with known allergies to crustaceans, molluscs, and to dust mites."

This statement "shall appear in close proximity to the list of ingredients" - so you'll be able to tell if insect powder has been added to your favourite biscuits or cereal.

A European Commission spokesperson confirmed this via email to Euronews saying: "Mandatory food information must be available for both prepacked and non-prepacked foods. The indication of allergens is mandatory and must be provided to consumers where foods are offered for sale prepacked or without pre-packaging."

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023...force-us-to-eat-insects-without-our-knowledge

I can understand 'maximum permitted levels' of stuff meaning that (seeing as it would be virtually impossible to guarantee that no insect of any sort has got into the flour used for making bread) you might ingest a tiny bit of ground-down spider or similar, but deliberately adding ground-down crickets or whatever into food as though it's a good thing, is repulsive.
I've already started carefully examining ingredients labels on things to see that they don't have these insects added, but I shouldn't have to.
In the same way that I don't have to check the ingredients labels for rusty nails, broken glass or just shit, because I know that that isn't in there.

The modern habit of putting protein in everywhere.

Why?

Why not just eat protein rich foods?

In France, right-wing politician Laurent Duplomb slammed the EU’s decision saying: “We cannot let the French eat insects without their knowledge.”
And that from someone who eats andouilette!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andouillette

True andouillettes are rarely seen outside France and have a strong, distinctive odour coming from the colon. Although sometimes repellent to the uninitiated, the scent is prized by its devotees.

As with all lower intestine sausages, andouillettes are to some extent an acquired taste. Their smell may offend people unaccustomed to the dish.

maximus otter
Personally M.O., that isn't good enough for me.

And that from someone who eats andouilette!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andouillette

True andouillettes are rarely seen outside France and have a strong, distinctive odour coming from the colon. Although sometimes repellent to the uninitiated, the scent is prized by its devotees.

As with all lower intestine sausages, andouillettes are to some extent an acquired taste. Their smell may offend people unaccustomed to the dish.
We've had a discussion of pig intestines as food. My brother was served chitterlings and chips at a colleague's home.
He thought the dish was called 'chicks and chips' and was possibly chicken nuggets or the like. :chuckle:

Does and don'ts on buying fish from street food markets in Bali.

.. and illegal Mexican sea food ..

Last edited:
Another strange things as food and drink video. A hornet's nest as food being a personal highlight ..

Back