• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

The BBC is claiming they'll strive to give flat earthers air time for their views so as to maintain impartiality.
BBC Says It Would Interview Flat-Earthers to Be Impartial

The BBC has said it would give flat Earth conspiracy theorists airtime in a bid to offset “cancel culture” and showcase its impartiality.

David Jordan, the BBC’s director of editorial policy and standards, said that the broadcaster’s commitment to balancing opinions would mean controversial views could be shared – including factually incorrect ones. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3n3p4/bbc-flat-earth-david-jordan-impartial-cancel-culture

The BBC is claiming they'll strive to give flat earthers air time for their views so as to maintain impartiality.

FULL STORY: https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3n3p4/bbc-flat-earth-david-jordan-impartial-cancel-culture

Lit. trans.:

“The BBC will “nutpick” selected incoherent, poorly-briefed, easily-dismissed exponents of other viewpoints in order to crush them publicly; thereby reinforcing the belief that the BBC viewpoint is complete, perfect and unassailable.”

maximus otter

Lit. trans.:

“The BBC will “nutpick” selected incoherent, poorly-briefed, easily-dismissed exponents of other viewpoints in order to crush them publicly; thereby reinforcing the belief that the BBC viewpoint is complete, perfect and unassailable.”

maximus otter
Sounds like a plan.

Lit. trans.:

maximus otter

So you're a Flat-Earther, then? I expected better!

The Earth, I find, is similar to the curates egg...Flat in parts.

Attachments

• lcdNanVl.jpg
    lcdNanVl.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 31
OK, I've read the report in the latest FT about Flat-Earthers' latest craze, read it twice in fact, but I still don't understand it. No such thing as trees? There are only 100ft bushes now that an ancient race cut all the trees down? And this belief may be a prank? What is going on?

If the Earth is flat, how thick is it? A globe with gravity pulls everything to the centre.
Flat earth- Successive earthquakes would just make it crack and fall apart like a broken spinning biscuit.

If the Earth is flat, how thick is it? A globe with gravity pulls everything to the centre.
Flat earth- Successive earthquakes would just make it crack and fall apart like a broken spinning biscuit.
Many flerfs believe the Earth isn't floating in space, but is either a round flat plane with a dome over it (the snow globe model) or has an infinite plane stretching out beyond the Antarctic ice wall. It's not floating in space, so it can't 'break apart'.

Many flerfs believe the Earth isn't floating in space, but is either a round flat plane with a dome over it (the snow globe model) or has an infinite plane stretching out beyond the Antarctic ice wall. It's not floating in space, so it can't 'break apart'.
So they believe that it's never-ending land?

So they believe that it's never-ending land?
A few of them, apparently. The snowglobe model seems more common, as far as I can tell. As to what's beyond the snowglobe; God, angels, whatever. But not the visible universe, that's all within the snowglobe; stars, planets, Sun and Moon are all within or projected on the snowglobe, and any evidence that they're distant is faked, mainly by NASA.

The conspiracy theories justifying this mostly seem to be either science trying to turn people away from God in the snowglobe model, or people trying to prevent anyone realising there are infinite resources beyond the Antarctic ice wall in the infinite plane model. There are many variations, including multiple concentric domes and so on, and some flerfs are happy to say they don't know which model is correct, but they're sure the Earth is flat.

An excerpt from a new book about Flat Earthers, what motivates them and how their organisations are like other cults.

Years ago, I started writing about Flat Earth as something close to a joke. I saved the most batshit comments I found in Flat Earth forums. I tweeted about factional rivalries playing out in conspiracy groups. When Trump announced the creation of a Space Force as a new military branch, I convinced my editors at the Daily Beast to let me interview the Flat Earth Society about the new organization, on the grounds that Flat Earthers generally think space is a hoax. My colleagues and I put a sarcastic 234567892 banner on the story and thought it was very funny, and years later—knowing that Flat Earth has torn families apart and that some Flat Earthers are neo-Nazis who make rap songs about killing people like my own Jewish family—I still find the 234567892 banner, and really the whole article, very funny. It’s Flat Earth, for Christ’s sake! How absurd!

I filed the Space Force story in a couple of hours and rushed out to catch a train to Washington, DC, where I was covering a march of much more explicit neo-Nazis, including one who’d recently threatened on the radio to murder me if I showed up. While I rode down the East Coast, I got a message from the Flat Earth Society, whom I’d just mocked in my online article. I was expecting an angry note, but the group had no ill words for me; they only wanted to point out a typo I’d missed. As my train sped toward Washington, I realized I was approaching a group of people that knew media coverage could hurt them while taking editing notes from a group with no such fears. ...

Psychologists working in the cult-exit field offer the same initial piece of advice for people trying to pry a loved one from a controlling group’s grasp: Keep in communication with that person. Remind them that another world exists outside of their faith community. This, in itself, can be difficult, especially when the group preaches ideals that are baffling, even immoral, to the person on the outside. But Gonzales and Pennock, who both went all in on Flat Earth and found their way out, describe Globe Earth friendships as the only thing that brought them back to Earth.

Excerpted from Off The Edge: Flat Earthers, Conspiracy Culture, and Why People Will Believe Anything by Kelly Weill. © Copyright 2022. Published by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill.

https://lithub.com/why-do-some-people-believe-the-earth-is-flat

An excerpt from a new book about Flat Earthers, what motivates them and how their organisations are like other cults.

Years ago, I started writing about Flat Earth as something close to a joke. I saved the most batshit comments I found in Flat Earth forums. I tweeted about factional rivalries playing out in conspiracy groups. When Trump announced the creation of a Space Force as a new military branch, I convinced my editors at the Daily Beast to let me interview the Flat Earth Society about the new organization, on the grounds that Flat Earthers generally think space is a hoax. My colleagues and I put a sarcastic 234567892 banner on the story and thought it was very funny, and years later—knowing that Flat Earth has torn families apart and that some Flat Earthers are neo-Nazis who make rap songs about killing people like my own Jewish family—I still find the 234567892 banner, and really the whole article, very funny. It’s Flat Earth, for Christ’s sake! How absurd!

I filed the Space Force story in a couple of hours and rushed out to catch a train to Washington, DC, where I was covering a march of much more explicit neo-Nazis, including one who’d recently threatened on the radio to murder me if I showed up. While I rode down the East Coast, I got a message from the Flat Earth Society, whom I’d just mocked in my online article. I was expecting an angry note, but the group had no ill words for me; they only wanted to point out a typo I’d missed. As my train sped toward Washington, I realized I was approaching a group of people that knew media coverage could hurt them while taking editing notes from a group with no such fears. ...

Psychologists working in the cult-exit field offer the same initial piece of advice for people trying to pry a loved one from a controlling group’s grasp: Keep in communication with that person. Remind them that another world exists outside of their faith community. This, in itself, can be difficult, especially when the group preaches ideals that are baffling, even immoral, to the person on the outside. But Gonzales and Pennock, who both went all in on Flat Earth and found their way out, describe Globe Earth friendships as the only thing that brought them back to Earth.

Excerpted from Off The Edge: Flat Earthers, Conspiracy Culture, and Why People Will Believe Anything by Kelly Weill. © Copyright 2022. Published by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill.

Ramon large groups of people seem to be prone to believe practically anything, UFO's, Flat Earth, Fake Nasa, death cults, fanatics of every conceivable possible variety. HELP

This was a good, very readable book. Short review.

Because all the water is running off the edge?:tumble:
Because a flat Earth is mainly 2D, it dissipates heat at a lesser rate than a third dimensonial Earth?

Because a flat Earth is mainly 2D, it dissipates heat at a lesser rate than a third dimensonial Earth?
A sphere has the smallest surface area for a given volume, so a flat earth with the same volume will have a greater surface area and ought to radiate more heat...

A sphere has the smallest surface area for a given volume, so a flat earth with the same volume will have a greater surface area and ought to radiate more heat...
But doesn't that depend on how thick the 'flat Earth' is? As it could be like this ~
1657097125175.png

I think you may have depicted a 'cubic' earth there, which has flat sides.
(and that has the giant snakes fleeing towards the sun)
AFAIK people who speak of a 'flat' earth are putting forward the notion that the earth is a disc of indeterminate thickness, but in which the thickness/width ratio is much more akin to the thickness/width ratio of something like a circular cake board.
1657102627338.png

So... if the Earth is a disk-shaped thing, how did it get to be that way? Was it manufactured?

So this is serious? There are those who actually believe the earth is flat?
What about the photos of planet Earth taken from space, showing it is a globe?

So this is serious? There are those who actually believe the earth is flat?
There appear to be, although after much time in the flat earth debate community, I think some of the most prominent flerfs don't believe the Earth is flat and are just making money from youtube and merch.

What about the photos of planet Earth taken from space, showing it is a globe?
CGI and photoshop images perpetrated by NASA in league with the scientific community to turn people away from God. Obviously.

CGI and photoshop images perpetrated by NASA in league with the scientific community to turn people away from God. Obviously.
Yeah. NASA had CGI and Photoshop before they were invented!

Yeah. NASA had CGI and Photoshop before they were invented!
... and other practical photograph editing techniques and film fakery prior to the digital age. There's obviously a big overlap with the fake moon landings conspiracy theories, given that most flat-earthers believe space isn't real and the Moon is either flying a few thousand feet above the plane of the Earth or is actually a hologram.

The thing is, the laws of physics dictate that gravitational effects would be (at best) weird on a disc shaped 'flat' earth.

That would depend on the composition of that flat Earth...If there is more water than land, then that flat Earth would radiate less ambient heat than if the flat Earth was composed mainly of earth...so...it is over to a flat Rather to let us know the land/ocean ratio.

Back