• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
These readings are like a soap opera plot! :D

Wayback when I worked in a second hand clothes shop, a woman came in one day wanting a wedding dress and a man's suit to make a costume for a play that she was in... my memory is hazey but I seem to recall that the play was at least partly improvisational and determined by cards drawn from a tarot deck.

A soap based on the same premise could be an interesting idea!

Wayback when I worked in a second hand clothes shop, a woman came in one day wanting a wedding dress and a man's suit to make a costume for a play that she was in... my memory is hazey but I seem to recall that the play was at least partly improvisational and determined by cards drawn from a tarot deck.

Not exactly a soap, but:

I LOVED that programme as a child. Can't remember anything about it now, sadly.

I think the opening theme is all I remembered.

I keep meaning to get into watching that, got a bit put off when I found out that all the best episodes of it no longer exist... if I'm not mistaken, it's one of those where they scrubbed the first couple of seasons.

Now that's an interesting idea! Maybe good idea for a costume party, too. If I ever get over my social anxiety enough to throw another party, I might do that...

From what she said, she was playing a hermaphrodite so was going to try and make a costume that would be the man's suit on one side and the wedding dress on the other. No idea how that fits in with the theme otherwise.

Martin Sharp’s psychedelic tarot cards from 1967
02:43 pm

Martin Sharp was an incredibly important figure in the development of the psychedelic aesthetic in the 1960s. He was an artist from Australia and from 1963 to 1965 he was the art director for Richard Neville’s influential underground newspaper, which was called OZ Magazine. In 1966 Sharp moved to London and a year later began working for the London version of OZ, which lasted until 1973.

TarotCardsJPEG_465.jpg

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/martin_sharps_psychedelic_tarot_cards_from_1967

They're like Bosch meets Terry Gilliam - in 1967!

My Order did a re-issue of the Christos Beest Sinister deck last year.

11390478_10152867645036994_6735026570006270564_n.jpg

1467443_10152888545126994_2167706870274842677_n.jpg

What or who is Mousa FrKadash?

@Ulalume's reading was quite stunningly accurate.

I seem to remember a follow-up which I can't find now, sadly. It had more detail which is only now coming about. :omg:

I have over a dozen Tarot decks - some I realise will have many more. But the one I go to if I want comfort is my original Rider-Waite that I have had for 20 years since when my wife expressed interest in the readings I used to give before I met her.

If I hadn't lost, somewhere in my travels, the Marseilles deck I had back in the 70's that would be my go-to. But even though I've bought (at some expense) another contemporary example of the Marseilles deck online, they are dead. Is it down simply to the amount one handles the cards?

I have over a dozen Tarot decks - some I realise will have many more. But the one I go to if I want comfort is my original Rider-Waite that I have had for 20 years since when my wife expressed interest in the readings I used to give before I met her.

If I hadn't lost, somewhere in my travels, the Marseilles deck I had back in the 70's that would be my go-to. But even though I've bought (at some expense) another contemporary example of the Marseilles deck online, they are dead. Is it down simply to the amount one handles the cards?
Enola had a good response to this question in the main Tarot thread.

@escargot - Hey, thanks, 'Scargie! It's always gratifying to hear you'd got it right. I do hope it all worked out for the best.

@skinny - Thank you, dear! I've missed you all, too. My life has just become absurdly complicated over the last couple of years, but not in a particularly Fortean way.
:jugg:

On the subject of Tarot cards themselves, last year I was gifted a copy of the Philosopher's Tarot, which at first I took as mainly humorous and a bit facetious (Derrida lurking at the top of the Tower, Hegel as the Devil and all) but they've turned out to be rather insightful, with a uniquely intellectual bent. If that's the kind of thing that floats your boat, you can buy a set from Repeater Books, here:
https://repeaterbooks.com/product/the-philosophers-tarot/

Take them to a stone circle.

No, really.

I have some historic decks like Sola Busca, Visconti and Marseilles but do find them curiously dead for reading, anyway. Think I need the reminders of illustrated pips, maybe. I like reading about and studying them but prefer to read with more contemporary decks.

Anyone else here following the TikTok drama concerning the tarot reader/psychic/mystic called Ashley Guilliard over in the US?
In short, she decided to make a name for herself solving real crimes by doing tarot readings on TikTok. Sadly, she decided to involve herself in a murder case and proudly and repeatedly 'name' someone who the police have cleared.
Instead of chalking it up (and burying it) as a 'fail', she doubled down and began a campaign of harassment of her 'proven' suspect. Any official denials are called racist/anti-spiritual cover-up. Instead of shutting up, she's doubled-down.
A brief overview:

I don't understand the allure of social media where people keep jumping onto polemic band wagons until they turn into dumpster fires, but it sounds like this person has opened herself up to a lawsuit for harassment and defamation.

I don't understand the allure of social media where people keep jumping onto polemic band wagons until they turn into dumpster fires, but it sounds like this person has opened herself up to a lawsuit for harassment and defamation.
I know what you mean. I've got in to listening to 'social media drama' channels. Sometimes it makes you despair about humans, not the internet! However, while I might not know of those being talked of it does fascinate me the way some personality-types flourish and make money from exposure. You really wonder what actually makes them tick. Ultimately, drama always sells.
Anyhow ... back to the decks.

I love illustrated pips. My favorite remain the Rider Waite pips illustrated by Pamela Coleman Smith. They are so evocative.
It's always easiest to teach someone using SRW as well and then they can always branch out to anything else once they have the basics as so many decks are clones of it, anyway.

I saw activity on this thread and got really excited sigh

Besides Scargie, are any of the others who had readings still on this board? How did your readings turn out?

@Krepostnoi is still here I think

Although I want to/will get a new deck soon, the Rider Waite just fits perfectly for me right now. They're easy to read and interpret and I love the aesthetic. So I'll probably pick up the Deviant Moon set to use once I get better interpreting the cards, it's the one speaking to me the most and I'm a intuitive person.

Every morning I've been doing an informal spread asking what I should think about today and frankly, it's a bit upsetting how much it's referencing everything I've been avoiding dealing with. :)

Back