• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

@Frideswide I've never heard of golden apples sounds like a fruit from the illuminati!!
maxresdefault.jpg

@Mythopoeika oddly that almost brings me full circle,as I first heard of fortean times as an emerging teenager via a all encompassing mysteries book..I then if chance would have it happened on one of the old best of fortean books maybe issues 18-26 and in the book there was a review for illuminatus..
I then got fixated and ordered the book through my local book seller (pre Amazon and pre internet!!)..
Safe to say both fortean times and illuminatus changed my life and my outlook on life!!

@Mythopoeika oddly that almost brings me full circle,as I first heard of fortean times as an emerging teenager via a all encompassing mysteries book..I then if chance would have it happened on one of the old best of fortean books maybe issues 18-26 and in the book there was a review for illuminatus..
I then got fixated and ordered the book through my local book seller (pre Amazon and pre internet!!)..
Safe to say both fortean times and illuminatus changed my life and my outlook on life!!
@Mythopoeika my book is by Dell and has the three books in one..
I've always thought about getting them as the three original parts and re reading the trilogy..

Back in 2016 I had a stint of working as a tea lady for the sound and lighting crew at various small festivals and bike rallies. Whilst at one of them I took a call from an old friend of mine saying "Hi, are you working at the moment?" to which I replied "Yes, I'm here right now" but it turned out she meant did I have a proper job. She'd just got her pub licence and a pub had opened up for her to take over, but she had a holiday booked and wanted me to look after it while she was abroad. As it happened, I was free for the time she needed me, so the following week I moved into her new establishment to take care of it in her absence.

She and I have known each other since the mid '80s when we worked together at a place named after Marylin Monroe but hadn't seen much of each other for a few years until a bereavement brought us back into contact a few months before this. One time when we were much younger we'd had a serious falling out over a misunderstanding, and in the process of the ensuing argument my beloved necklace had been broken and lost forever. It was a silver chain with a pendant in the shape of Cyprus, with the country's name written on it in Greek. It had been a present from a Cypriot family so I'd been really upset at the time but we've come a long way since then so it wasn't something I'd really thought about much.

Towards the end of the two weeks of me living in her pub, one of the regular customers returned from his holiday in Cyprus, much to the delight of another regular who had clearly missed his mate very much while he'd been away. I had to go and pay some money into the bank and run a few errands, so I left them in the capable hands of the bar staff and went off to get everything done in the local village and while I was there, popped into a charity shop.

While I was browsing, I came across a teaspoon that was engraved on the bowl(?) part and all up the handle, and had a little dangly insert saying "Fleetwood" at the top of the handle, kind of like a pendant.

I don't have any particular connection with Fleetwood, but bought it anyway simply because it was a pretty spoon and not expensive.

I don't recall now whether it was in the same charity shop or a different one because I visited 3 or 4 on that little shopping trip, but I also found another teaspoon, this one with a map of Cyprus at the end of the handle, with the same Greek writing as my long lost pendant!

Somehow, before I moved out of the pub that Cyprus teaspoon disappeared, and during the time since then the pendant from the Fleetwood spoon has disappeared, and I've moved house twice. When I looked after the pub, I lived 10 miles away, and my next home was 10 miles in the other direction.

Now I live less than one mile from that pub, (my friend no longer runs it, and up until 2016 neither of us had lived much closer to it than 10 miles away) and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that Cyprus spoon again at some point!

Back in 2016 I had a stint of working as a tea lady for the sound and lighting crew at various small festivals and bike rallies. Whilst at one of them I took a call from an old friend of mine saying "Hi, are you working at the moment?" to which I replied "Yes, I'm here right now" but it turned out she meant did I have a proper job. She'd just got her pub licence and a pub had opened up for her to take over, but she had a holiday booked and wanted me to look after it while she was abroad. As it happened, I was free for the time she needed me, so the following week I moved into her new establishment to take care of it in her absence.

She and I have known each other since the mid '80s when we worked together at a place named after Marylin Monroe but hadn't seen much of each other for a few years until a bereavement brought us back into contact a few months before this. One time when we were much younger we'd had a serious falling out over a misunderstanding, and in the process of the ensuing argument my beloved necklace had been broken and lost forever. It was a silver chain with a pendant in the shape of Cyprus, with the country's name written on it in Greek. It had been a present from a Cypriot family so I'd been really upset at the time but we've come a long way since then so it wasn't something I'd really thought about much.

Towards the end of the two weeks of me living in her pub, one of the regular customers returned from his holiday in Cyprus, much to the delight of another regular who had clearly missed his mate very much while he'd been away. I had to go and pay some money into the bank and run a few errands, so I left them in the capable hands of the bar staff and went off to get everything done in the local village and while I was there, popped into a charity shop.

While I was browsing, I came across a teaspoon that was engraved on the bowl(?) part and all up the handle, and had a little dangly insert saying "Fleetwood" at the top of the handle, kind of like a pendant.

I don't have any particular connection with Fleetwood, but bought it anyway simply because it was a pretty spoon and not expensive.

I don't recall now whether it was in the same charity shop or a different one because I visited 3 or 4 on that little shopping trip, but I also found another teaspoon, this one with a map of Cyprus at the end of the handle, with the same Greek writing as my long lost pendant!

Somehow, before I moved out of the pub that Cyprus teaspoon disappeared, and during the time since then the pendant from the Fleetwood spoon has disappeared, and I've moved house twice. When I looked after the pub, I lived 10 miles away, and my next home was 10 miles in the other direction.

Now I live less than one mile from that pub, (my friend no longer runs it, and up until 2016 neither of us had lived much closer to it than 10 miles away) and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that Cyprus spoon again at some point!

Been there! Well, not Cyprus. There's a tawdry gold-plated ring - whatever stone it had was long vanished - that used to appear whenever I was decorating or doing house alterations. It'd pop up behind a skirting board or on an airing cupboard shelf and I'd think oh, there it is again! and then it'd be gone until next time.

The funny thing was that it somehow came with me when we moved to our present house. As fas as I know it's currently under a floorboard next to the radiator in my bedroom.

Funny incident with one of these little blighters this am. Being in a foul mood due to pain in the old chest region again , I decided to give the breakfast cutlery a damn good scrubbing. One teaspoon decided it had had enough and made a bid for freedom through the open back door (slips from hand bounces on floor then on step and out). My pet seagull who calls in for breakfast every day decides it likes shiny things and pounces on it, presumably thinking it was getting a special treat, bread and cat biscuits being insufficient apparently. Tried a few pecks, and then glared at me accusingly illustrating the lack of care it thought it was receiving, before hopping back onto the window sill. God knows what it thought I was trying to do.

Isn’t it strange the way things are attracted to places they shouldn’t go. I was on holiday once in Spain in March it was too cold to go into the swimming pool unless you were a hearty soul. One evening I was stood near the deep end looking into the pool and suddenly for no reason at all one of my gold earrings flew out of my ear into the pool. A hearty soul retrieved it for me the next day. Another example would be a small red plastic key that had something to do with our house alarm system, which we never used as it scared me. Anyway this key was kept in the electric meter copboard, there was the tiniest hole where the wires went through the bottom of the cupboard to underneath, one day I knocked the key of the shelf and it seemed drawn to that tiny hole, disappeared never to be seen again as yet. The hole must be 2% of the floor of that cupboard.

Went on holiday to Butlins years ago, noticed cutlery items on the floor between the cooker and cabinet. How strange!

Making the kids' tea later I put a spoon down on top of the cooker for a couple of minutes, then picked it up - hot, YOW! - and flung it down the side of the cooker with all the others. Mystery solved.

Went on holiday to Butlins years ago, noticed cutlery items on the floor between the cooker and cabinet. How strange!

Making the kids' tea later I put a spoon down on top of the cooker for a couple of minutes, then picked it up - hot, YOW! - and flung it down the side of the cooker with all the others. Mystery solved.
Induction hob?

My Grandad had a teaspoon in which he took great delight. Whenever anyone called round for tea, rather than putting their sugar in for them, he'd make sure this precious spoon was in the sugar bowl on the tray with the cup(s) of tea and/or coffee and wait expectantly.

Without fail this teaspoon created a reaction, and he and I would fall about laughing as the person attempting to sweeten their beverage struggled to get any sugar onto the spoon - before realising there was a hole in the middle of it which the sugar just ran straight through and back into the bowl :rollingw:

Isn’t it strange the way things are attracted to places they shouldn’t go. I was on holiday once in Spain in March it was too cold to go into the swimming pool unless you were a hearty soul. One evening I was stood near the deep end looking into the pool and suddenly for no reason at all one of my gold earrings flew out of my ear into the pool. A hearty soul retrieved it for me the next day. Another example would be a small red plastic key that had something to do with our house alarm system, which we never used as it scared me. Anyway this key was kept in the electric meter copboard, there was the tiniest hole where the wires went through the bottom of the cupboard to underneath, one day I knocked the key of the shelf and it seemed drawn to that tiny hole, disappeared never to be seen again as yet. The hole must be 2% of the floor of that cupboard.

This is in line with my experience that anything dropped in a bathroom will bounce off several unlikely surfaces before falling down the toilet.*

*Yes, I know I could always keep the lid down, but I don't, all right?

My Grandad had a teaspoon in which he took great delight. Whenever anyone called round for tea, rather than putting their sugar in for them, he'd make sure this precious spoon was in the sugar bowl on the tray with the cup(s) of tea and/or coffee and wait expectantly.

Without fail this teaspoon created a reaction, and he and I would fall about laughing as the person attempting to sweeten their beverage struggled to get any sugar onto the spoon - before realising there was a hole in the middle of it which the sugar just ran straight through and back into the bowl :rollingw:

I gave the Snailets novelty teaspoons for xmas a couple of years back. They have holes that create a spooky skull-face.

Soooo.... while I spent a few days in hospital, Eldest Daughter stayed in the house to mind the beasts.

When I got home, I found that I had now become the proud owner of several dessert spoons, that I am pretty sure I didn't own before. They were in the drainer (daughter washed up before I took her home). I left a house with two dessert spoons (I don't use them, I use the teaspoons), and came back to at least four.

I must ask daughter what the hell was going on while I was in hospital. She couldn't have bought them - maybe she found them elsewhere in the house...

Soooo.... while I spent a few days in hospital, Eldest Daughter stayed in the house to mind the beasts.

When I got home, I found that I had now become the proud owner of several dessert spoons, that I am pretty sure I didn't own before. They were in the drainer (daughter washed up before I took her home). I left a house with two dessert spoons (I don't use them, I use the teaspoons), and came back to at least four.

I must ask daughter what the hell was going on while I was in hospital. She couldn't have bought them - maybe she found them elsewhere in the house...

Hope you're recovering from whatever-it-was that ailed/ails you. :)

Aha so not just teaspoons now but dessert spoons... hmmm... perhaps your daughter will deny washing them, and then the mystery will deepen as to why they suddenly appeared on the drainer from nowhere... ;)

Morrisons have suddenly reduced the price of their latte spoons (basically incredibly long teaspoons) down from £1 to 20p. Normal teaspoons remain £1.

Why are latte spoons so long? I'm a bit confused by coffee nowadays.

You could secure your current teaspoon collection by tying them to the cutlery draw handle - using shoelaces.
We have had to secure the key to the ladies toilet on site with an extremely large lump of (sustainably managed) timber as the girls keep wandering off with the one key we have left leaving the two or three others with their legs crossed.

My eldest daughter always house sits for us and we always come home to sticky notes saying she used our Tupperware and cutlery, left it at work or her house when visiting and she will return it.
She always turns up with quantities of cutlery and Tupperware that don’t belong to us leaving me and MrsT63 laughing and her looking extremely perplexed

In a similar vein ...

larson_spoon.jpg

Back