• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Great Pyramid Yields Secret Gallery

Ascalon

Justified & Ancient
Khufu's pyramid has been shown to contain a massive void, the 'size of an airliner', according to researchers.

cavity-discovered-in-the-cheops-pyramid-390x285.jpg

Crammed FULL of golden artefacts, ancient Egyptian wisdom and mummies just WAITING to be revived with the right magical expression, no doubt.

Crammed FULL of golden artefacts, ancient Egyptian wisdom and mummies just WAITING to be revived with the right magical expression, no doubt.
Ohhh, please yes!

From that article:
The space is one of four cavities, along with the king and queen’s chambers and “Grand Gallery”, now known to exist inside the giant monument constructed under pharaoh Khufu of ancient Egypt.
Hmmm. 'Mental picture' time.

There was a rather-mundane possibility as to what it might be (from an unidentified scientist on R4 this evening).

Basically it may just be a hollow empty ceiling area, above the Great Gallery. Composed of unfaced stone. In other words, a hollow void so as to prevent collapse.

There will be attempts to put miniature robotic cameras the size of scarab beetles into it via drilled holes. Apparently.

I was astounded to hear how they've confirmed the presence of this (superficially) fascinating find....by detecting the penetration of cosmic rays, over long-term periods, and noting how they fog photographic paper. A curiously-passive analysis method...strange.

I really want this to be real and hopefully yield something really cool.
Even more graffiti would great.
Trying to be skeptical about it, the only grain of salt I can find is the tendency of Nature to publish sensational stories for better views.
The recent spate of "ooh possible hidden room" followed by quietly following up with "ok, it was actually just all hype and we didn't find anything" puts a damper on things.

This latest 'cavity' may represent no more than a space in which there's a relatively loose mass of differently-sized stones. The method is based on relative densities, and it doesn't necessarily get 'hits' only on empty spaces.

Which if true is going to be published and then never see the light of day again. And years from now Hancock et all will cite it as evidence that mainstream Archaeologists are covering it up. Somehow, they'll still blame Hawass.

You must be referring to the only archaeologist in Egypt.

Seriously, if he became mute there'd be half as many articles about Ancient Egypt in the mainstream press.
He's been out of the job for years now and people still invoke him as reasons for x fantastic claim being proved.
Even some people are claiming that this new research would have never happened under Hawass, when it is a more sophisticated version of an attempt in the 2000s.
In comparison, even after checking it repeatedly i keep forgetting who the new guy is.

This latest 'cavity' may represent no more than a space in which there's a relatively loose mass of differently-sized stones. The method is based on relative densities, and it doesn't necessarily get 'hits' only on empty spaces.

This or we are about to find that the Egyptians filled their pyramids with polystyrene. Of alien origin, of course.

And while they're at it, can they open up the trap door in the Sphynx's head and tell us what is inside?

And while they're at it, can they open up the trap door in the Sphynx's head and tell us what is inside?

It's an old depression on the head that got tunneled out more by treasure hunters. They filled it in and secured it to help with conservation.
Bit ironic, old marks of treasure hunters are now used to support claims of treasure.

Now, wasn't there a US TV special that opened the door to an Egyptian tomb a few years ago, to reveal... nothing but an empty room? Not Al Capone's vault, but something like it? Someone jog my memory!

Now, wasn't there a US TV special that opened the door to an Egyptian tomb a few years ago, to reveal... nothing but an empty room?
That seems to happen a lot.

Or broken tools, leftover paint and general builders debris and overflowing Ancient Egyptian bins. (I think a lot of archeologists would be really excited finding that sort of stuff).

Now, wasn't there a US TV special that opened the door to an Egyptian tomb a few years ago, to reveal... nothing but an empty room? Not Al Capone's vault, but something like it? Someone jog my memory!
Yeah, they were following one of the vents in the pyramid.
There was a false door they drilled through, just to find another one a few meters in. Did find more graffiti, which is cool.

Back