• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
For a couple of months afterwards I still wasn't 100%, with what I now believe was post-viral fatigue syndrome. Not risking that again!
The bout I (we) had at Xmas 2000 left me 'ill' for six months, I always had a cough, cold, chill, something. I'd started a new job and was with a chap in the Vancouver and he suddenly said "The whole time I've know you you've been ill". He was right. Mrs Coal and I exported the children to her sister's for two weeks so they had a Christmas (and more to the point, didn't catch that sh!t).

Fellow former flu-sufferers, do you now all have the jab?

To bloody right not having that flue business again.

To be fair I have had but don't now. But I never ever want it again. My mum had Asian flu in about 1956. She was on a train back to Blackburn after coming back from Rome. the train pulled into the sidings, not the train station. That was because she was put in isolation.

I paid £8 at the chemist's on Thursday. Last year it was £7 at Asda but I coughed up the extra quid for the convenience of having it done without an appointment. That's how committed I am. :D

Footage of a police sniffer dog in the villa ..

"makes you think" ... not sure what that was all about ?

"makes you think" ... not sure what that was all about ?
I don't know if you're talking about my above link? that's about a sniffer dog exploring the McCann's holiday apartment .. was "makes you think" a quote from something?

yes was the concluding remark of the guy watching the video in the video ... i just wondered what the result of the dog testing was meant to be

Fellow former flu-sufferers, do you now all have the jab?
No - I used to get it gratis because of my former job but really should get it sorted for this year. I've had proper flu twice in my life, and the last bout around five years ago knocked me out of action completely for three weeks and made me feel horrendous for literally months afterwards. Every day felt like I was both jet-lagged and hungover. It was awful.

Back to the McCanns, the continuing resources being flung at them suggests that either a) their connections allow them to demand no let up, which would imply their innocence, or b) someone with a high degree of influence thinks they're guilty and is keeping on for that reason.

I used to get it gratis because of my former job but really should get it sorted for this year.

The chemist who did my jab reckons the flu has been extra-severe in Australia this last winter (of theirs) and will soon hit us too. Get it done!

I think the flu could have a thread of its own. I thought I had flu once but now I don't think so. It was severe - I was stuck on the couch unable to get up - but the symptoms only lasted about three days, the couch episode being on the middle day. So I don't know what that was.

What I have had is one of those 'Hospital Bugs'. That was horrible, I was considering calling an ambulance.

...Back to the McCanns, the continuing resources being flung at them suggests that either a) their connections allow them to demand no let up, which would imply their innocence, or b) someone with a high degree of influence thinks they're guilty and is keeping on for that reason.

The latter is a very good point, and one entirely ignored by - for want of a better phrase - the anti-McCann lobby. Why, is it that so often the same people who think the McCanns are guilty, are also those who think the investigation is being kept open because they have some sort of undue influence - because they're posh...or something? It's totally illogical. Generally speaking, if guilty people truly have undue influence on a criminal investigation, and do not have a foolproof target on which to deflect attention, (one which is not likely to be weakened by further investigation or the legal process) would they not try to shut it down - would they really work tirelessly, even years after the fact, to keep an investigation open?

The latter is a very good point, and one entirely ignored by - for want of a better phrase - the anti-McCann lobby. Why, is it that so often the same people who think the McCanns are guilty, are also those who think the investigation is being kept open because they have some sort of undue influence - because they're posh...or something? It's totally illogical. Generally speaking, if guilty people truly have undue influence on a criminal investigation, and do not have a foolproof target on which to deflect attention, (one which is not likely to be weakened by further investigation or the legal process) would they not try to shut it down - would they really work tirelessly, even years after the fact, to keep an investigation open?
^good point^

Yup, we need a separate 'Flu' thread for the upcoming season. It could be called something imaginative like 'Flu 2017'.

Posters will be mainly the 'I've never had a jab OR the flu, what does that tell you?' brigade, the 'Not sure whether to have the jab' lot and the 'Oh no, looks like flu!' contingent.

I think the flu could have a thread of its own. I thought I had flu once but now I don't think so. It was severe - I was stuck on the couch unable to get up - but the symptoms only lasted about three days, the couch episode being on the middle day. So I don't know what that was.

What I have had is one of those 'Hospital Bugs'. That was horrible, I was considering calling an ambulance.

3 days wouldn't have been flu but there are certainly some nasty bugs that can flatten you for that long. This last winter both Techy and I had that horrible cold bug that was going round, where you're ill for a few days then get better but it keeps coming back. I had 11 days off work with it over a couple of months.

'Hospital Bugs', what are they? Sounds dire.

'Hospital Bugs', what are they? Sounds dire.

My mother was visiting someone in hospital and she wandered down the corridor that she thought he was on. A nurse told her to get out as everyone had been moved and it was 'gloves and gown' only.

She caught it and passed it to me. I think they get described in the press as 'Super Bugs'. It's all to do with people not washing their hands regularly on hospital wards.

My belief is that the McCanns are able to keep the investigation going because they are posh and articulate and may have friends in high places. I feel that they were negligent (as were most of the other parents in the group, except the couple who took along one of their mothers for babysitting duties) in leaving the children alone at night. They didn't need to murder Madeleine to be rotten parents.

What better facade of innocence could there be than - knowing that your efforts on the fateful day, and the passage of time, have erased any evidence - campaigning for the investigation to be kept open?

The McCanns know that the Met will run out of money before too much longer. They can then stage one final, tearful press conference bewailing the fact that the authorities have let them down, then fade (hopefully) into obscurity.

All we can hope for at this remove in time is an acrimonious divorce, a deathbed confession or a breakdown and revelation.

maximus otter

My mother was visiting someone in hospital and she wandered down the corridor that she thought he was on. A nurse told her to get out as everyone had been moved and it was 'gloves and gown' only.

She caught it and passed it to me. I think they get described in the press as 'Super Bugs'. It's all to do with people not washing their hands regularly on hospital wards.

The hospital 'super bugs' are antibiotic-resistant infections. They are not spread by poor handwashing; the problem stems from years of over-prescription of antibiotics.

The one you describe, was it a diarrhoea/vomiting type illness? Norovirus or 'winter vomiting bug'? That's the sort of thing that's spread by poor hygiene but as it is so extremely infectious you'd have trouble fighting it with soap and water.

Oh, how awful. I bet that was yer actual norovirus. I used to work in health care and dreaded that going round because it's just so virulent. Everybody within miles gets it.

There have been outbreaks on cruise ships which I'm ashamed to say I found funny at the time - it was the incongruity of the luxury setting with the misery of severe diarrhoea and vomiting. I wouldn't be laughing if I caught it!

What better facade of innocence could there be than - knowing that your efforts on the fateful day, and the passage of time, have erased any evidence - campaigning for the investigation to be kept open?...

I've mentioned this before - and there clearly have been cases where guilty parties have openly courted the media and/or publicly inserted themselves in an investigation long after the initial stages of the case. As I've also said, in the first instance this would make sense, as it would appear to indicate the attitude of an innocent party - but to continuously resurrect a crime and shove it in the public's face via any channel of the media you can get hold of, many years after the event, would seem to me to enter the realms of risk addiction, rather than self-preservation - and the two are not easily compatible.

enough of the diarrhoea please ...
What better facade of innocence could there be than - knowing that your efforts on the fateful day, and the passage of time, have erased any evidence - campaigning for the investigation to be kept open ?

It's called barrier nursing, I used to tend to patients who's side rooms were taped off and had to wear protective gear .. the hand washing thing was and is important when relatives visiting move around from the person they're visiting to chat to 'old George' that they also know or have become friends with ..

Visitors were asked to use alcogel hand pumps before entering and on leaving wards in my day and then the NHS realised that particularly determined alcoholic patients were drinking/squirting the stuff into their mouths which is why the pumps are now non alcohol based foamy stuff instead.

MRSA and C diff were the two super viruses back then and still are, MRSA stands for methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus, if I ever became ill I had to tell my doctor I was sometimes working with these patients so he could give me something different to regular antibiotics.

It's called barrier nursing, I used to tend to patients who's side rooms were taped off and had to wear protective gear .. the hand washing thing was and is important when relatives visiting move around from the person they're visiting to chat to 'old George' that they also know or have become friends with ..

Visitors were asked to use alcogel hand pumps before entering and on leaving wards in my day and then the NHS realised that particularly determined alcoholic patients were drinking/squirting the stuff into their mouths which is why the pumps are now non alcohol based foamy stuff instead.

MRSA and C diff were the two super viruses back then and still are, MRSA stands for methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus, if I ever became ill I had to tell my doctor I was sometimes working with these patients so he could give me something different to regular antibiotics.

What a great reply. Takes me back to my days on t'wards, with patients dropping left and right with virulent D&V...

As you'll know, the handwashing/general hygiene is part of a constant battle against infection. I used to tell student nurses to wash their hands at every opportunity. For one thing it's good to be seen doing it. For another it gives you a minute's breathing time to think about your next job, and lastly, wash wash wash, it helps keep you out of the bog!

Wash your face too. I used to wash mine several times a day, especially round my mouth. It's probably harder to do that if your fizzog is plastered in make-up but as I didn't bother with all that mess I found it easy. In case I'd touched my face, y'know. Beards, urk, HOW unhygienic.

What a great reply. Takes me back to my days on t'wards, with patients dropping left and right with virulent D&V...

As you'll know, the handwashing/general hygiene is part of a constant battle against infection. I used to tell student nurses to wash their hands at every opportunity. For one thing it's good to be seen doing it. For another it gives you a minute's breathing time to think about your next job, and lastly, wash wash wash, it helps keep you out of the bog!

Wash your face too. I used to wash mine several times a day, especially round my mouth. It's probably harder to do that if your fizzog is plastered in make-up but as I didn't bother with all that mess I found it easy. In case I'd touched my face, y'know. Beards, urk, HOW unhygienic.
Have you ever had to put a convene on a patient ? .. I've probably spelled that wrong, student nurses used to wash my patients dentures because I literally preferred to hold an old man's cock than wash manky care home neglect false teeth .. "Hi, I'm Swifty .. I'm just here to roll this sheath over your penis which we can then connect to this bag so we can record your urine output .. is that OK? :) .. so what football team do you support?" ..

Have you ever had to put a convene on a patient ? .. I've probably spelled that wrong, student nurses used to wash my patients dentures because I literally preferred to hold an old man's cock than wash manky care home neglect false teeth .. "Hi, I'm Swifty .. I'm just here to roll this sheath over your penis which we can then connect to this bag so we can record your urine output .. is that OK? :) .. so what football team do you support?" ..

Conveens, what's not to like?
Unless you catch the pubes. They don't like THAT.

Or when, because your wearing gloves, you glue yourself to the conveen and so also to the bloke's nob .. so I'd not bother with the gloves ..

Tell me about it. Also, colostomy bags. When you forget the glue.

Back