• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Madeleine McCann: Police granted more funds for search...

“...thousands of crimes will not be investigated in London under new guidelines announced by the Metropolitan Police in response to funding cuts.

Shoplifting, car crime and criminal damage are among the “lower level” offences that officers may not probe as the force works to save £400m by 2020...”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-investigated-burglary-assault-a8002746.html

maximus otter

..whilst saving a few bob...

Should that be 'saving a few Bobbies' ?

INT21

I read online somewhere after the latest renewal of money, someone mentioned that keeping the "investigation" (my quotes) open for another 6 months means another 6 months wait until there is Freedom Of Information request-ability.

The inference being, I suppose, that there is something interesting to be found out that they don't want the public to find out. (Although there's plenty of interesting stuff about the case online to read about.)

I'm just throwing that out there cos I read it and thought it were relevant. :)

I don't believe for one minute that an abduction took place, something has smelled rather pungently about this case since the beginning, and I live in hope that one day the truth will come out. But as long as the British police are only looking in any direction except where they should be looking, I doubt it.

Oh and how the British media treated the Portuguese police was disgusting and unfair.

I read online somewhere after the latest renewal of money, someone mentioned that keeping the "investigation" (my quotes) open for another 6 months means another 6 months wait until there is Freedom Of Information request-ability.

The inference being, I suppose, that there is something interesting to be found out that they don't want the public to find out. (Although there's plenty of interesting stuff about the case online to read about.)

I'm just throwing that out there cos I read it and thought it were relevant. :)

I don't believe for one minute that an abduction took place, something has smelled rather pungently about this case since the beginning, and I live in hope that one day the truth will come out. But as long as the British police are only looking in any direction except where they should be looking, I doubt it.

Oh and how the British media treated the Portuguese police was disgusting and unfair.
This whole 'what's happened to Maddy?' situation (and I'm glad that people are refusing to 'just let it go because it was a long time ago now') reminds me of Australia's 'A dingo ate my baby' case in the way society has viewed it: with scorn and eventually, through a lack of any other evidence, Mum and Dad were cleared and the film of the story made a tidy profit .. perhaps her parents are innocent and people are desperate to blame someone ? .. that's not my final opinion until I've got all of the facts in front of me, I'm not convinced by watching the body language videos on youtube of her parents smiling, laughing etc in various footage that any of that is proof that they are responsible, or covering up the truth of, this little girls disappearance, people act in weird ways when they're grieving ( see the 7 stages of grief theory) .. I'm also not yet convinced her parents are innocent.

perhaps her parents are innocent and people are desperate to blame someone ?

Can't speak for anyone else but for me personally this certainly isn't the case. If I didn't believe the parents were guilty as hell I would have very little interest in the case.

It's not just the smiling and laughing (although for me, and many people I know, I would certainly not be that upbeat if someone I cared about was missing.)

- It's also the refusal to answer questions (who the hell wouldn't do everything they could to help find their daughter?)

- And deleting photos / not handing over all photos

- And Gerry having to go back to the UK to get something of Maddie's for a DNA sample for the police

- And Gerry's comment "I'm not here to have fun"

- And the people in high places who seem to want to bend over backwards to help the two of them

- And... I could go on and on but I won't cos it will turn into a rant. :D (First time I've ever spoken online about this subject, I have a lot of opinions pent up!)

From the very outset the McCann's have wanted to push the abduction tale. When Kate "discovered Maddie was missing" (as the story goes) the first thing she shouted was not "she's missing" but "they've taken her." If you come home and find your child is missing, you'd have no reason to immediately think 'abductor'. You'd likely search the apartment and then the gardens/streets outside, thinking she might have wandered off.
But from the get-go they wanted to keep everyone away from the apartment. Don't look over here, look over there.

And I think it's in Kate and Gerry's best interests to keep pedalling their abduction tale, even after all this time. Because as long as they can keep people thinking that's what happened, they will keep getting people berating them for "leaving their kids alone" and perhaps even wanting them punished for that, and it will stay in the public's consciousness that there was an abductor and the parents are guilty of neglect.

And they'll happily sit and take the criticism, the cries of "bad parent", because, and you can see it in their smug gazes in just about every interview; they know that poor little girl will never be found. They know where she is.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I'm certainly not the only one thinking this way.

As long as "an abduction happened" then Madeleine's disappearance is explained and nobody needs to dig any deeper.

thank the social media age for making us all journalists, investigators and experts in every field, based upon a youtube video or 2 !

true dat ... me included ... only now we have access to the complete case files and inner workings of police investigations ... on twitter, youtube, club penguin etc ...

pri_40487647-e1495310533716.jpg

https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/20/some...unt-sticker-on-madeleine-mccann-book-6650357/

maximus otter

Did that really happen?
Yes, the book was displayed on one of those cardboard stands along with other more innocent books, mugs, Toblerone bars etc etc .. I've just tried to re find it for you but haven't had any luck sorry .. the Fred books had the same sticker on them as everything else on the display: "Great for Father's Day!" ..

thank the social media age for making us all journalists, investigators and experts in every field, based upon a youtube video or 2 !

It's not just " a youtube video or 2" - look into the case, read the Portuguese police files, read other forums that analyse the anomalies in the case (of which there are plenty). It's obvious that something is very amiss. I just hope one day the truth will out.

I just watched the video Swifty posted above (by the Australian man) - I'm quite au fait with all Rich Planet's videos about the case (and the parents' likely cover up), but hadn't ever heard that weird 'Pizzagate' connection. Namely, that (now recently dead) Kevin Halligan - a private investigator hired by the McCanns - was responsible for two e-fit sketches that look more than remarkably like the very dubious Podesta brothers. And the video suggests that this was merely some sort of retrograde thing to frame them and get the limelight off the McCanns? And the efits were held back by british investigators (because they knew it was Halligan being imaginative?). I'm even more confused.

The truth, S Zebra, is going to be pretty convoluted I think.

Yes, the book was displayed on one of those cardboard stands along with other more innocent books, mugs, Toblerone bars etc etc .. I've just tried to re find it for you but haven't had any luck sorry .. the Fred books had the same sticker on them as everything else on the display: "Great for Father's Day!" ..

I'd've photographed the FLIP out of that! :badge:

Some years ago, before phones with cameras were around, I saw a brilliant Tesco Mother's Day competition display inviting the public to 'Enter your mother here!'
As I'd taken to carrying my smart new little digital camera around it went straight on t'net and caused much merriment.

I just watched the video Swifty posted above (by the Australian man) - I'm quite au fait with all Rich Planet's videos about the case (and the parents' likely cover up), but hadn't ever heard that weird 'Pizzagate' connection. Namely, that (now recently dead) Kevin Halligan - a private investigator hired by the McCanns - was responsible for two e-fit sketches that look more than remarkably like the very dubious Podesta brothers. And the video suggests that this was merely some sort of retrograde thing to frame them and get the limelight off the McCanns? And the efits were held back by british investigators (because they knew it was Halligan being imaginative?). I'm even more confused.

Oh, there's a whole host of theories, it's a veritable rabbit hole; but yes the Podesta thing is one of them, and is one of the more plausible theories but I'm not fully decided on it yet. There's things that I definitely agree with, things that I definitely don't, and things that are in-between. :)

The e-fits are a strange thing as there's been several - not just these two (the ones that were held back) but ones regarding a man carrying a child, etc.

The truth, S Zebra, is going to be pretty convoluted I think.

Yup, it certainly is. :)

Never really followed this in detail before but had heard of the case and asked a question a while back on it in the thread...so I had some coffee, after mowing the lawn, and went through the posts. It does seem like the parents are guilty but how does one hide a body in a foreign country where you don't know the terrain ,etc. How do you cover it up that well from the Portugal police? Is that likely..? It does surprise me that they didn't find evidence and find them guilty right there and then.
?

Never really followed this in detail before but had heard of the case and asked a question a while back on it in the thread...so I had some coffee, after mowing the lawn, and went through the posts. It does seem like the parents are guilty but how does one hide a body in a foreign country where you don't know the terrain ,etc. How do you cover it up that well from the Portugal police? Is that likely..? It does surprise me that they didn't find evidence and find them guilty right there and then.
?

It’s an odd and deeply troubling case. The answer is that no one knows what happened. There were some odd things about the parents’ behaviour at the time and immediately afterwards - and the reaction of the cadaver dogs was particularly suspicious - but nothing concrete and comment on the case now seems to consist largely of inverted snobbery about supposed special treatment of the parents.

I expect this case will remain a mystery until and unless a deathbed confession shows up, as with Ben Needham.

^What were the odd things by them during and after the event?
What troubles me is how someone in a foreign country could make a body disappear and hide evidence from the locals without making any mistakes.

^What were the odd things by them during and after the event?
What troubles me is how someone in a foreign country could make a body disappear and hide evidence from the locals without making any mistakes.

They had left the children alone in an unlocked apartment while they went out with friends despite the resort offering a babysitting service. They claimed the kids were being checked on every 15 minutes but this seems unlikely. On finding Madeleine gone the mother’s reaction was “they’ve taken her” rather than “she’s gone!”

Then the parents were spending time having their hair done and playing tennis and seemed to be courting the media somewhat. Then the cadaver dogs’ reaction to their hire car.

All this created much suspicion and sensation but in the end there was nothing concrete as I say. It’s infinitely possible that the child wandered off and perhaps had an accident of some sort.

I have no idea what that area by the resort is like but one would think if the child had wandered off (and how far would a little one get...)they, the local authorities, would have eventually found her/dead or alive.
But I also find it hard to think the parents could have hidden all of this is a country/area they weren't that familiar with . Also difficult to believe that no one at the resort..staff or guests saw anything at all..?
Strange indeed.

I have no idea what that area by the resort is like but one would think if the child had wandered off (and how far would a little one get...)they, the local authorities, would have eventually found her/dead or alive.
But I also find it hard to think the parents could have hidden all of this is a country/area they weren't that familiar with . Also difficult to believe that no one at the resort..staff or guests saw anything at all..?
Strange indeed.

Indeed. Portuguese holiday areas are generally pretty safe and relaxed. There are tourists and locals wandering around at all hours and it wouldn’t be unusual to see children out and about even quite late. If Madeleine had been abducted it wouldn’t necessarily have stood out. But I agree it’s a little odd that no one spotted anything.

And samples of her blood found in the hire car.

..They claimed the kids were being checked on every 15 minutes but this seems unlikely...

Were that true it would pin the time down to a 15 minute window.

INT21

Back