• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
it's illegal to use actual human cadavers
Well there's your problem. You've trained your sniffer dogs to find pork, not cadavers. Lo and behold, they're in Spain looking for cadavers and they find pork. Am I the only one who is not surprised? Plenty of fine pork products in Spain.

Plenty of pork about here to but the dogs seem to cope in the UK.

Quite interesting the Cadaver dogs thing, I did not realise
till now that if the Tinternet is to be believed what was going
on in the background to discredit the dogs.

Yep me too, but according to some, I'm abrasive that way. No idea why.

I've mentioned before that my friend visited this resort several times and he and most others did leave their children like the M's did- it was common. I suspect that even after this incident parents continued to do the same.

You reckon? That'd be REALLY stupid, even if only because they'd look like crap parents.

Yep me too, but according to some, I'm abrasive that way. No idea why.

I've mentioned before that my friend visited this resort several times and he and most others did leave their children like the M's did- it was common. I suspect that even after this incident parents continued to do the same.

How secure is the complex they were in? Did it have a warden / night watch? Just my parents used to leave us when we were at holiday camps in the 60's but there was a person or persons patrolling and listening for crying babies etc. No gate security though.

When holding out against peer pressure I say 'Yeah I'm a twat like that.'

Honestly, common sense would say the risk is too high (and the outcome very clearly backs that up in the most horrific way). But this is a group of close friends on holiday, policing each other, watching out for each other all day long, working as a unit, with wine flowing...

I’m not justifying it at all, but I can see how that came about. And I honestly don’t feel that anything malicious went on on any part of this group. I can only now see this as an abduction.

Well there's your problem. You've trained your sniffer dogs to find pork, not cadavers. Lo and behold, they're in Spain looking for cadavers and they find pork. Am I the only one who is not surprised? Plenty of fine pork products in Spain.

The problem I have with the reliance on the cadaver/blood dogs. They can only provide a hint if something maybe having happened in an area. It is then up to the police to find actual DNA evidence which would back that up. Blood. Hair. Sweat. Skin fragments.

No evidence was ever found to corroborate this. Who is to say that the dogs were picking up on scents in that corner of a room, and by that wall, and by that car because somebody who had that stink on their clothing had simply stood there.

To use your example, pork. A guy who happened to have eaten some kind of pork based tapas foodstuff that might have been on the turn? Who is to say that’s not the actual link here?

The one thing that actually has bothered me about the dogs is that they don’t fit the timeline neatly, purely because the hire car was only acquired by the McCann’s so long after the disappearance. My darker thought on this the other night is wondering if whoever took Maddie may not have returned to the scene of the crime (In the disturbing way that some actual killers do) at some point in the 20 plus days between the disappearance and the sniffer dogs. Because as at least one reporter commented, barring a single line of tape on the balcony the site was hardly what could be described as secured By police.

Honestly, common sense would say the risk is too high (and the outcome very clearly backs that up in the most horrific way). But this is a group of close friends on holiday, policing each other, watching out for each other all day long, working as a unit, with wine flowing...

I’m not justifying it at all, but I can see how that came about. And I honestly don’t feel that anything malicious went on on any part of this group. I can only now see this as an abduction.
I don't think I'd leave my wallet in an unlocked flat, let alone a child of mine. How do we know the flat was unlocked, do we know that? Mrs McCann said the shutters on the flat had been jemmied (though they hadn't, you can see that in photos). Why would she say that if she knew the door was open - she'd be wondering why they bothered to jemmy the shutters if the door was open. And then she wouldn't answer any of the local police's questions. What possible explanation could there be for the latter?

And incidentally, why is there this general insistence that the child is still 'missing'? It's massively likely that if she was abducted, she died pretty soon afterwards, unfortunately. With her strange eye, if she was still around someone would have found her by now (or she'd have found herself).

Also, the 'unit of friends' hadn't been looking out for the children 24/7, they had been in the nursery during the day several times.

How secure is the complex they were in? Did it have a warden / night watch? Just my parents used to leave us when we were at holiday camps in the 60's but there was a person or persons patrolling and listening for crying babies etc. No gate security though.
I don't know about the security of the complex. It was of course somewhat different in the 60's in the UK - different attitude- although there were still child abductions/murder.

You reckon? That'd be REALLY stupid, even if only because they'd look like crap parents.
Yes, but there are really stupid people around who don't learn from history. As for friends looking out for each other, well they did a poss poor job didn't they?
I doubt that this will ever be resolved unless there is some death bed confession from someone.

Yes, but there are really stupid people around who don't learn from history. As for friends looking out for each other, well they did a poss poor job didn't they?
I doubt that this will ever be resolved unless there is some death bed confession from someone.

Exactly. There's nothing new to say really.

To use your example, pork. A guy who happened to have eaten some kind of pork based tapas foodstuff that might have been on the turn? Who is to say that’s not the actual link here?
CAVEAT: No doubt the pork needs to be rotting a bit. Cadavers et al.

Allegedly there was a babysitting service and those doing it were or included staff from the daycare so they’d have been familiar to the kids. The kids had spent a great deal of the holiday in the daycare whilst parents played tennis etc.

McCanns didn’t use service as apparently didn’t want to trust kids to strangers. Go figure.

Last edited:
Exactly. There's nothing new to say really.
One of my sons is fascinated by this case. He says it’s the one mystery he’d like to know the answer to before he dies. I’ve said to him that maybe not in my lifetime but I reckon he stands a chance of being alive for any deathbed confession. And that’s got to be the only way it’s ever resolved now unless a body somehow came to light..?

I don't think I'd leave my wallet in an unlocked flat, let alone a child of mine. How do we know the flat was unlocked, do we know that?

Yes. We do. It was via doing this that every 20 - 30 minutes one of the group would return to the flats, go door to door, give a cursory check that everything was okay in each flat, move on to the next and return to the restaurant thereafter. Until the next person went off to do the same. This is covered (and the timeline which was given by the party of 7 to the Portuguese local police (the GNR)) in the Netflix documentary.

The GNR dispute that timeline. But there are significant questions to be asked of the GNR's behavior and motives also. I'll return to that.

Mrs McCann said the shutters on the flat had been jemmied (though they hadn't, you can see that in photos). Why would she say that if she knew the door was open - she'd be wondering why they bothered to jemmy the shutters if the door was open.

That was likely based on the fact that the window was not open when they left the flat for the evening. Nor was it noticed to be open either by Gerry McCann when he performed the first check at 21:05, or by Matthew Oldfield when he checked in at around 21:30. When Kate McCann returned at roughly 22:00 the window was open and her daughter missing. It was at that point the alarm was raised.

What is inconclusive is how Madeleine left the flat, who with and by which exit.

The GNR initially accused Matthew Oldfield of being responsible, having passed Madeleine to a third party through that window during his 21:30 inspection. The majority of focus for the GNR was almost singularly and resolutely on the McCanns or somebody within the 'Tapas 7' as they came to be known. Very few lines of inquiry looked beyond those. Only Robert Murat was really an exception to that - but again an English man. A non-local.

Granted through the window, possibly sleeping, would plausibly have been an easier way for any abductor to remove a child from the property. And 5a was the last flat nearest to the road. It arguably would have run less risk of waking the other children or risking Madeleine waking and alerting others with vocal protests.

And then she wouldn't answer any of the local police's questions. What possible explanation could there be for the latter?

By that point, however, it had become clear that the GNR had settled on their version of the story. And they wanted that to be 'English woman kills her child on holiday - nothing to do with Praia de Luz, or any other existing cases we are currently under investigation for. We can make this go away'. And there were several reasons why they did want it to go away.

Things again discussed in the Netflix documentary - There was pressure to restore some kind of semblance of normalcy to Praia de Luz quickly. It was effecting the area's tourism. And while it is implied that there were known elements within the community who may have had associations with historical child abuse charges the authorities understandably would have preferred such things not to be brought up.

But perhaps more importantly for the Portuguese Police, and the head detective of the case, the documentary also mentions that at the time of Madeleine's disappearance they were currently under investigation for their conduct in another child abduction case several years earlier - that of Joana Cipriano in 2004, in another nearby Algarve village, some 11 km away. A case which had involved heavy suggestion of forced confessions, possible beatings to achieve said result, and again no evidence of a body. The missing child's Parents were charged, with the suggestion that the mother had killed the child, and her partner cut up the body, placed it in a freezer and later moved it for disposal.

A case with many discrepancies (such as their not possessing a fridge large enough for what the police were suggesting). But after having failed in implicating Robert Murat to resolve the problem the detectives on the McCann case moved swiftly to replicate numerous details of their previous case and apply it onto the McCann's.

I certainly see it as by declaring Kate McCann as Arguida it would prevent her from speaking out any further about the case (because it effectively is a legal gagging order), and also allow the police to pursue only one line of inquiry, in order to aid making the whole thing go away as efficiently as possible. And the McCann's rightly saw that as a trap. It was. It is difficult to see it as anything else really. And while there were still many, many people at the Ocean Club and surrounding area who the Portuguese police hadn't even approached, let alone spoken to, moving to charge Kate McCann was at best jumping the gun. At worst it was flat out negligence.

And incidentally, why is there this general insistence that the child is still 'missing'? It's massively likely that if she was abducted, she died pretty soon afterwards, unfortunately. With her strange eye, if she was still around someone would have found her by now (or she'd have found herself).

Because, simply put, until there is concrete proof of a body, or somebody has confessed to a murder, that is officially exactly what it is. A missing person case.

As I mentioned above a high number of people at the Ocean Club at the time were never questioned in any way by the police. Very early into the investigation it became apparent that the Portuguese police were no longer investigating people who were coming to them with possible information. Suspicious behavior and incidents in the area which could have supported some kind of evidence of organised child abduction.

Yes, you've got to consider that even if she had been abducted the outcome would likely be quite plausibly bleak. A child that easily recognisable through media exposure would quite likely have not met a pleasant end if traffickers deemed her to be too risky. But we don't know that, and we have no way of ever really knowing that.

I think the best that the McCann's can hope for now is that Madeleine was taken and almost instantly passed to a new set of parents via illegal adoption. Young enough to forget her early childhood and have a whole new identity placed upon her without wholly realising. And hoping that someday she will realise as an adult that something is not quite right. To question that. And take steps towards discovering who she really is. But it remains the lesser likely outcome, of course it does.

Also, the 'unit of friends' hadn't been looking out for the children 24/7, they had been in the nursery during the day several times.

Sorry, that probably a poor choice of phrasing on my part. Yes, there was a 'kids club' which the children of the Tapas 7 had been part of during the daytime, sometimes with their parents on hand. Sometimes without. What I was trying to make clear is that the Parents, as friends, *were* spending time with each other collectively 24/7. There was a clear level of trust. I mean right to the point of checking up on each other's kids. You don't get that without. :)

One person I do kinda feel sorry for is Matthew Oldfield - the guy who checked up on Apartment 5a between Gerry and Kate raising the alarm. He himself admits that he did not actually check inside the room. He supposedly listened in, heard a sound 'like a child turning over in bed', and left the flat. He's probably spent a decade worrying that he cannot say for certain that Madeleine was in that room at the time he checked, whether there was anybody else *in* that room at the time he entered the flat, or what that noise actually was.

Last edited:
Allegedly there was a babysitting service and those doing it were or included staff from the daycare so they’d have been familiar to the kids. The kids had spent a great deal of the holiday in the daycare whilst parents played tennis etc.

McCanns didn’t use service as apparently didn’t want to trust kids to strangers. Go figure.

I think that's assumption. We do not know from their own testimony what their motivation for using daytime childcare, but opting out of the nighttime version. We should be very careful not to put words into their mouths.

And there is no allegedly about the day time version. They, and the other parents, had used some kind of kids club at the Ocean Club. The parents had been involved with that. But it is important to note that the McCann's were not the only people from that 7 person group who opted out of using the night creche. There is this habit to portray them as solitary in their needlessly careless. The other parents in this group did exactly the same. They were just more fortunate not to have lost a child.

CAVEAT: No doubt the pork needs to be rotting a bit. Cadavers et al.

Well, yes. But I think the point is that scents can get onto clothing, into rooms, by multiple means. And sniffer dogs cannot give us any kind of timeline for what they are sniffing.

For example, it would be impossible for the dogs to know if any such smell of decomposition was in Flat 5a before the McCann's even arrived.

It is essential that once a sniffer dog signals a scent it is followed up by provable DNA evidence. Such evidence simply did not turn up here.

Yes. We do. It was via doing this..
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply! You must have watched very attentively.

I have to confess, I haven't seen the documentary yet. I might start tonight. It's interesting that what you've said seems to suggest the documentary supports the position that the McCanns are innocent and the local investigation was flawed - is that right? But I noticed (at the time Netflix released it) that the family aren't happy about it, and didn't want to be involved. If it's sympathetic, that seems surprising? Or is it that their culpability is implied through the unlocked door business? Otherwise you'd think 'any publicity is good publicity' since they've done pretty well keeping the crime in the public eye for so long? Maybe they were worried it would be a hatchet job although it's not (seemingly from what you've said) worked out like that?
The McCann's statement, just for interest, from their website:
Statement by Kate and Gerry McCann regarding Netflix programme “The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann” (6th March 2019)
Start
‘We are aware that Netflix are planning to screen a documentary in March 2019 about Madeleine’s disappearance. The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate. We did not see and still do not see how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, could potentially hinder it.
Consequently, our views and preferences are not reflected in the programme.
We will not be making any further statements or giving interviews regarding this programme.’
Gerry and Kate McCann
End of Statement

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply! You must have watched very attentively.

Sadly, Eponastill, this is the sad way that my brain works. :) You'll see a rather painful attention to detail in a good number of other threads here. And as I was only watching it last week it is still relatively fresh in my mind.

I have to confess, I haven't seen the documentary yet. I might start tonight. It's interesting that what you've said seems to suggest the documentary supports the position that the McCanns are innocent and the local investigation was flawed - is that right?

Not per se. It stays relatively neutral throughout, and gives testimony through interview from as many people involved with the case as possible. This includes some of the other families at Praia de Luz at the time. It includes Robert Murat (who was the GNR's first subject) and the Russian website owner he had employed, who suddenly found himself being associated with the case. It brings in several journalists and reporters (both from the Algarve and Britain) who spent significant time reporting in the area during the first few weeks of the case. It includes sections with private investigators and backers who aided the McCanns once they returned to the UK. And perhaps most importantly two of the detectives from the Portuguese Police for the case - one of whom is Goncalo Amaral, the head of the investigation, who later got removed from the case.

It provides perspectives from as many different points of view as possible. In fact during the early episodes, as we hear from the Portuguese Police perspective, they raise a lot of questions over the timeline provided by the McCanns and of the comings and goings of the flat confusing the ability to asses the crime scene. They also show footage of the sniffer dogs making their responses.

If viewed in isolation it would provide a rather scathing view of the McCann's involvement. But when other perspectives are presented, and further information is explored, it later raises some serious questions over the Police's conduct, their managing of the crime scene, their slow reaction time, and the potential leads they chose not to follow up. Not all in one go. But picks up relevant threads in parts of several other episodes.

Interviews conducted with other Praia de Luz residents in later episodes go into more detail of other potential abductions in the area around the same time, and of suspicious behavior of locals identified by more than one person staying at the Ocean Club at the time (which they reported to police but which wer never really followed up on).

At least one Algarve reporter from the time is shown as quite angry, that she feels the information she broadcast (which was fed to her by the Police) was certainly greatly misleading if not simply untrue. She also introduces us to another case the Algarve media had covered several years earlier (that of Joana Cipriano), which Goncalo Amaral had also led. Interviews with others involved with that case present us with some alarming similarities with story Amaral finally decided upon for Madeleine, in trying to implicate the McCanns of murdering their daughter. It also points out that Amaral and others on that case were under official investigation for false conviction, force testimony and tampering with that missing child case at the time they began working on Madeleine's disappearance.

In all honesty I feel that as an overview the series does not give an specific conclusions. It can't. By and large it presents a very balanced overview of a complex case, taking us right up to more recent lines of investigation being investigated by the Met. It does this in a style which Netflix documentaries have kind of become synonymous with. There is no direct narration. All words are directly from the mouths of people involved with some element of the case, or its coverage, directly.

But I noticed (at the time Netflix released it) that the family aren't happy about it, and didn't want to be involved. If it's sympathetic, that seems surprising? Or is it that their culpability is implied through the unlocked door business? Otherwise you'd think 'any publicity is good publicity' since they've done pretty well keeping the crime in the public eye for so long? Maybe they were worried it would be a hatchet job although it's not (seemingly from what you've said) worked out like that?
The McCann's statement, just for interest, from their website:
Statement by Kate and Gerry McCann regarding Netflix programme “The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann” (6th March 2019)
Start
‘We are aware that Netflix are planning to screen a documentary in March 2019 about Madeleine’s disappearance. The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate. We did not see and still do not see how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, could potentially hinder it.
Consequently, our views and preferences are not reflected in the programme.
We will not be making any further statements or giving interviews regarding this programme.’
Gerry and Kate McCann
End of Statement

I think that at this point there are three immediate reasons which would spring to mind for their taking that position.

Firstly, from the testimony of those who have worked with them (former private investigators, journalists, PR people and financial backers) both Kate and Gerry McCann appear abundantly aware that they do not come across well on camera. And that every time they do appear on camera they open themselves up to being accused of everything from insincerity, to arrogance, to all sorts of things. That even a facial expression in a split second on film can result in a press piece trying to read a multitude of subtext into what that individual believes may have been behind it. That is something learnt from experience, unfortunately. I think that they are very wary of opening themselves up to that.

Secondly they will have been told who else was going to be given a chance to speak in the documentary. Amaral will have been mentioned. Remember (as is addressed in one of the later episodes) the allegations raised by Amaral's book on his interpretation of the case is something which the McCann's went to court to try and have removed from sale, for potentially disrupting further investigation into the disappearance. It is unlikely that they would wish to be part of a project which they suspected might result in any further repetition of those allegations, unchecked and unquestioned.

And thirdly, basically what we could glean from reading that statement at face value. That they do not feel that it will help in the ongoing search for their missing child.

One thing that I feel is apparent throughout all of this investigation is that both McCann's became greatly concerned every time the case was pulled away from following up on sightings, on leads, on attempts to pursue how Madeleine disappeared and the trail of her movements from that flat to wherever she now is. That during the most time sensitive point of the case (those early hours and days) that police had switched to an assumption of death (be that through Robert Murat, themselves or somebody else) when their child could still be alive and in transit to somewhere else. That every day the police focused on that the trail got colder and colder.

At this stage I would imagine that they were probably concerned that any such documentary would offer conclusions which in the minds of the viewer could be along the lines of 'Well, she's dead. That's done. No point following up on that'. That it would lead more people to assume this was a dead and finished case, and to put off people who might have new information (rare though that might be at this point).

As it happens, I do not feel that it does that. From the outset of each episode it lays out the contact numbers for reporting further information both in Britain and in Portugal. And it does not conclude anything other than this is a complicated but ongoing case, which has been covered in a considerable amount of detail. I genuinely do hope that seeing it jogs somebody's memory over a detail somebody may have missed.

Last edited:
At this stage I would imagine that they were probably concerned that any such documentary would offer conclusions which in the minds of the viewer could be along the lines of 'Well, she's dead. That's done. No point following up on that'. That it would lead more people to assume this was a dead and finished case, and to put off people who might have new information (rare though that might be at this point).

As it happens, I do not feel that it does that. From the outset of each episode it lays out the contact numbers for reporting further information both in Britain and in Portugal. And it does not conclude anything other than this is a complicated but ongoing case, which has been covered in a considerable amount of detail. I genuinely do hope that seeing it jogs somebody's memory over a detail somebody may have missed.

I'm curious as to why people think the case isn't dead. When was there last any new information? I mean genuine new information, not wittering in the press by people with no direct involvement.

I'm curious as to why people think the case isn't dead. When was there last any new information? I mean genuine new information, not wittering in the press by people with no direct involvement.

Officially the investigation has not closed. It still sits with The Met. While Operation Grange has been scaled back significantly since 2015 (it's now only handful of officers I believe) it remains ongoing.

In recent years they have effectively ruled out the notion of bungled burglary which Madeleine disturbed. While there was a significant increase in burglaries in the region in the months leading up to the disappearance after thorough investigation into suspects known in the local area they had exhausted that line of inquiry.

In 2014 there were searches performed as a co-ordinated effort between the PJ (Portuguese National police) and Scotland Yard of significant areas of drainage dug in wasteland in Praia de Luz. But nothing was found. The following month both forces were in presence to interview 4 Portuguese citizens, but nothing further discovered to implicate them. Sergei Malinka (the Russian born IT guy who had done work for Robert Murat) was one of these.

In December of that year 11 people from the local area were interviewed with a rather massive 200+ questions each (one of which was 'did you kill Madeleine?' another 'where did you hide the body?'). It is believed that Robert Murat, his wife and her ex-partner were among these. Also a 30 year old who used to drive a bus for the Ocean Club, plus a younger and much older associate. The reason they were interviewed was on the basis of text and phone call activity between the three around the time of the disappearance. These men admitted to having broken in to flats at the Ocean Club but denied any involvement with Madeleine.

Over the next couple of years police followed up on several individuals in the local area who had links to historic sex offences. Nothing concrete emerged.

In 2016 Operation Grange followed up on and interviewed somebody who had been abused by writer and Broadcaster Clement Freud, as part of the investigation into historic sex abuse cases he was being posthumously investigated in relation to. Clement Freud had had a home in Praia de Luz, and had also approached and befriended the McCanns, several weeks after their daughter's disappearance. The Freud family maintain that at the time Clement Freud was in the UK.

So really, sure, there has been very little concrete activity in recent years. However, we are over 10 years after the event. Trying to follow up leads on increasingly distant memories of one night in 2007 is not easy.

But as with any missing person case unless a body is found or a (now teenager) turns up alive the case will likely remain open.

Last edited:
Because, simply put, until there is concrete proof of a body, or somebody has confessed to a murder, that is officially exactly what it is. A missing person case.

A person can be convicted of murder without either a body being found or a confession. In 2002 Stuart Campbell was found guilty of the murder of Danielle Jones even though he pleaded 'not guilty' and Danielle's body was never found.
Murder of Danielle Jones

A person can be convicted of murder without either a body being found or a confession. In 2002 Stuart Campbell was found guilty of the murder of Danielle Jones even though he pleaded 'not guilty' and Danielle's body was never found.
Murder of Danielle Jones

This is true - however, without a body it's probably safe to say that the burden of persuasion placed upon any evidence that has contributed to the decision to prosecute will be even greater than usual. In this case the term 'significant evidence' should probably be read as 'very significant evidence'; you're likely going to need a smoking gun of some variety, and preferably more than one.

Murder of Danielle Jones

Oh, it's absolutely possible. But with no confession or body police would have to provide a huge amount of hard evidence to connect (if not flat out prove) that an individual had committed the crime.

In this case that evidence just doesn't exist.

I do, in part, sympathise with the Portuguese Police over the crime scene. The night of Madeleine's disappearance so many people came and went from that room that it could very easily have muddied the waters from an evidence point of view. However, they did have ready access to the Tapas 7 and Ocean Club staff to have taken samples from any of those people, in a bid to eliminate them from what they found. And once they arrived on the scene that night the Portuguese Police also did a pretty terrible job of securing the crime scene. Reporters at the time were regularly doing pieces to camera in front of Flat 5a's balcony, getting mere metres away from it, and showing that the only sign of it being an active crime scene was the loose sash of Police tape hanging off the railing outside.

It was *not* a secured crime scene. I find it hard to believe that (in the state it was left) if whoever was responsible for Madeleine's disappearance *had* wished to return to the scene of the crime at a later point then while, sure, the press and police presence may have been high, there would have been very little to stop them approaching or accessing the flat physically once again.

Flat 5a was swabbed, DNA evidence sought from those swabs, sent off to be processed. The McCanns hire car (which remember was only hired 23 days after the disappearance) also. At that point the Portuguese Police began briefing certain members of the Press that they believed the McCanns were responsible for killing their daughter here, and that they had dead cert DNA evidence which would imminently being proving that.

Only the evidence which came back proved to be utterly inconclusive. If Madeleine *had* been killed in that flat there was zero evidence to support that theory beyond the responses of two sniffer dogs, which could not conclusively prove anything directly. Even if they were smelling decomposing tissue or blood the dogs alone could not identify whose either of those would have belonged to, or if the scents they were picking up were from either before the McCanns arrived or even after they had left.

That's obviously not to say that (as I think many of have at least considered as a likely outcome) Madeleine could not have been taken and later disposed of by the person or people who took her. But there is no provable trail. There is no evidence to support where she went, how she left the flat, or who with.

I mean plenty of people have been considered, questioned, even formally interviewed. But there has never been anything plausible enough or detailed enough to prosecute them. And so the case remains open. I honestly feel at this point that unless the McCanns choose to have their daughter declared legally dead (they are now past that threshold by a few years) that will remain the case. And I very seriously doubt that they will ever do that.

Last edited:
The operation to find Madeleine McCann is set to receive another cash boost, on top of the £11 million already pledged in the hunt for the missing girl.

Detectives have requested extra money to continue their investigation into the disappearance of the toddler in Portugal back in 2007.

A Met Police source told the site: 'There has been some recent speculation that the investigation into Madeleine's disappearance could be put on hold or discontinued because of the coronavirus epidemic and a shortage of officers working.

'This isn't the case and we can't see the outbreak causing a problem for this ongoing inquiry. Neither can the Home Office.' We've been told there will hopefully be no problem with new funding.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-set-given-money-11m-search-missing-girl.html

maximus otter

Why do they keep getting handed all this money with seemingly no new leads? No other missing child has been worked on for 13 years with more and more money poured in.
They've really thrown a lot of money down the pan for this case.
There has to be a point where it gets shelved.

Back