• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

Could you be thinking of The Corpse Bride, which has hardly any colour?
No, because my favourite character in the film was Sally!

Screenshot_20191214_121045_compress18.jpg

Why is that in colour.. :headbang:

...and now my sister and I have got an answer in a quiz wrong because we were both sure The Beatles were the band Paul McCartney was in when he did 'Band on the Run', when in fact it was Wings. We were even both sure we remembered it as part of a Beatles movie.

...and now my sister and I have got an answer in a quiz wrong because we were both sure The Beatles were the band Paul McCartney was in when he did 'Band on the Run', when in fact it was Wings. We were even both sure we remembered it as part of a Beatles movie.
You might have been mis remembering that Beatles movie scene when they were shown running from extras, filmed in black and white, I'm probably wrong but it could have been called A Hard Day's Night?

edit:

You might have been mis remembering that Beatles movie scene when they were shown running from extras, filmed in black and white, I'm probably wrong but it could have been called A Hard Day's Night?

edit:
I think that's exactly what I'm mixing up in my thinking box.

It's not unusual for newscasters to casually encompass the most populous American lands as (e.g.) "The fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico", for a total of 52 enumerated jurisdictions. D.C. is a federal district rather than a state per se, and Puerto Rico is the largest and best known American territory.

Plus, there have been various political movements to have both the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico become states (which then would make it 52 states). I don't know of the other American territories pushing for statehood the way DC and Puerto Rico have through the years, (maybe if they did, they didn't get much press) . Only a few years ago (2012?), Puerto Rico voted to become a state, but it was a 'non-binding' vote (whatever that means exactly). Obviously, Puerto Rico didn't actually become a state (as far as I know).

... Only a few years ago (2012?), Puerto Rico voted to become a state, but it was a 'non-binding' vote (whatever that means exactly). Obviously, Puerto Rico didn't actually become a state (as far as I know).

No entity becomes a US state just because they vote to become one. The sole authority to admit a territorial entity as a full-fledged US state lies with the Congress.

There have been two formal polls (voting events) among Puerto Rico's citizens within the last decade. The 2012 polling gave mixed results, but the overall polling wasn't considered informative, much less decisive, because a third of the ballots were submitted blank. A 2017 polling yielded 97% of the votes in favor of statehood. However, this represented 97% of the merely 23% of the eligible population who voted. The factions supporting the status quo and outright independence both boycotted the referendum.

If the US got another state it would ruin the flag.

So, big fan of Worlds Strongest Man, and since 2016 one of the Channel 5 commentators has been Danny Wallace and he’s great at it. Had discussions with the wife about him and said it was cool he was on my favourite radio station, Planet Rock, as well as this. Fast forward to today. Listening to Planet Rock and wondering when Danny Wallace would be on. Check schedule, not on today, ok, check presenters, not listed, ok he must have left and I hadn’t noticed. Poke around on the inter webs and find he has never had anything at all to do with Planet Rock. Plenty of people called Danny, yes but not him. But I remember his voice, I remember his humour, I remember emailing and him replying! Looking at the list of stuff he has done I have never listened to any of his radio shows. Ever. So in my version of the universe Danny Wallace was a dj on Planet Rock, but apparently not in this version.

Seen the latest Mandela effect: the size of Indiana Jones' hat... I have to admit it looks silly now, but maybe I did not pay attention at the time

1577751333811.png

Seen the latest Mandela effect: the size of Indiana Jones' hat... I have to admit it looks silly now, but maybe I did not pay attention at the time

View attachment 22261

Hmmm... having only seen the film when I was little (whenever it was on telly back in t'day) I'm not awfully familiar with it but if I'd been asked to draw him I probably would have drawn more of a cowboy hat than... whatever hat that is supposed to be. Does he hide something in it?

Anyone else more familiar with the film?

Oh and that reminds me... I'm off to dig out my old Walt Disney books cos there's something I need to check.

Hmmm... having only seen the film when I was little (whenever it was on telly back in t'day) I'm not awfully familiar with it but if I'd been asked to draw him I probably would have drawn more of a cowboy hat than... whatever hat that is supposed to be. Does he hide something in it?

Anyone else more familiar with the film?

Oh and that reminds me... I'm off to dig out my old Walt Disney books cos there's something I need to check.
It’s a type of Fedora, a style called the Poet produced by the London company Herbert Johnson. They are very expensive, look silly and are difficult to find. I have a normal sized Fedora which I can kind of get away with in representing Indiana Jones.
https://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/collections/herbert-johnson

Came across this and thought it might he of interest..

50 Mandela Effect Examples That Are Seriously Mind-Bending

https://www.rd.com/culture/mandela-effect/page/2/

Right...in regard to the Snow White Mirror Mirror / Magic Mirror thing. The link above says:

Here’s another cinematic discrepancy that we apparently all remember incorrectly: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Who could forget the way in which the Evil Queen says the phrase, “Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?” Most of us. Because that’s not what the villain says. The actual line is, “Magic mirror on the wall…”

Well, I wasn't sure about this (I clearly remembered it as 'Mirror Mirror'). So, my Walt Disney books have been looked out from their special hiding place (they're old and don't see daylight very often) and photographs of the relevant one duly taken.

Attached are said photographs. The book, as you can see is an original Walt Disney book (one of a set of four) from 1965.

And my investigation reveals that... (inside spoiler tags for those who cannot view the fotographs - they're inserted as thumbnails so click each one to view in full).

"Mirror Mirror on the wall" is said twice in the story, and
"Magic Mirror on the wall" is said once.

So... both memories are correct in this case? :hapdan:

SnowWhite1.JPGSnowWhite2.JPGSnowWhite3.JPGSnowWhite4.JPGSnowWhite5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A song popular in the mid-'60s was Mirror, Mirror by Pinkerton's Assorted Colours:
Mirror, Mirror

It uses the conceit of the magic mirror -

Mirror, mirror on the wall
Mirror, mirror on the wall
Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all
and in the mirror I can see your pretty face
And now I'm sorry, what I have done to you
Those few harsh words that we are through
I'd give the world, my love, to have you back again, once more

There's also Dollar's Mirror Mirror from 1981 -

Mirror mirror mon amour
Send me what I'm waiting for
Pick me up an image so fine so fine
Mirror mirror mon amour
Give me what I'm waiting for
Set my heart on making you mine

which only uses the actual phrase.

Right...in regard to the Snow White Mirror Mirror / Magic Mirror thing.
Well, I wasn't sure about this (I clearly remembered it as 'Mirror Mirror'). So, my Walt Disney books have been looked out from their special hiding place (they're old and don't see daylight very often) and photographs of the relevant one duly taken.
... The book, as you can see is an original Walt Disney book (one of a set of four) from 1965.
And my investigation reveals that...

The particular case of the Snow White movie dialogue is tangled, complicated and arguably not a Mandela Effect ...

The Disney books are separate presentations that didn't appear until 28 years after the movie, so they're not necessarily relevant to how people remember the movie's dialogue. If anything, they represent a correction back toward the real standard of accuracy for the printed story (see below).

The movie, in turn, was made 85 years after the Brothers Grimm first published their version of the Snow White story (in German). It turns out that the movie dialogue doesn't accurately reflect the original published story's phrasing.

The original story was called “Schneewittchen,” which translates to “Snow White.” (Schnee = Snow, and Wittchen = White.)

And, if you focus on the German, not the English translation, the Queen addresses the mirror as “Spieglein, Spieglein,” which Google translates as “Mirror, Mirror.”

That’s followed by “Wer ist die Schönste im ganzen Land?” translated as “Who is fairest of us all?”

FULL STORY: https://mandelaeffect.com/mirror-mirror-research/

Subsequent translations into English (pre-dating the Disney movie) occasionally (but only occasionally ...) changed the phrasing from the Grimms' original "Mirror, Mirror ...".

We're therefore left with a situation in which people mis-remember the movie's (unique, so far as I know ... ) phrasing, but correctly recall the phrasing used in the original Grimm version and reliably translated in the "better" English editions from the 19th century onward. The print sources (and other presentations based on them) were almost certainly encountered by children all along.

Very strictly speaking, this situation calls into question the status of this item as a Mandela Effect in the first place (see the link above).

The Mandela Effect was defined as involving a single original thing (event; incident; item; etc.) which some folks mis-remembered afterward.

This case appears to fit the canonical form of a Mandela Effect only if one considers the movie to be the sole original reference point (which it may be for those folks whose only childhood exposure to the story was the Disney film). However ...

If one considers the broader sweep of Snow White presentations since long before the movie was made the movie dialogue is itself an aberration that one could argue was mis-remembered to conform to a greater weight of evidence from other sources.

If one considers things in this broader context the canonical form of a Mandela Effect is violated, because the ostensibly mis-remembered dialogue isn't the single-point standard against which the accuracy of memories is solely judged.

The Pink Farmhouse

Not far from here, there's a large farmhouse, set amongst open fields, which kids and myself had often passed on country walks, when they were younger.

It was a prerequisite visit, as there were llamas in an adjacent field.

Occasionally, photographs were taken, some featuring said farmhouse in the background.

Happened to pass the location again this week, accompanied by my daughter.

Mentioned as we walked by the resplendent white farmhouse, that I preferred when it used to be painted pink.

Seemingly confused, Donna expressed that the farmhouse had always been painted white.

Reassuring Donna that I was indeed correct on this, it was suggested we unearth those old photos.

Eventually unveiled, they did confirm that the farmhouse had, in earlier times, been painted...

... white.

NO IT WASN'T!!! Distinctly and memorably PINK.

Would have sworn an oath on this.

The Pink Farmhouse

Not far from here, there's a large farmhouse, set amongst open fields, which kids and myself had often passed on country walks, when they were younger.

It was a prerequisite visit, as there were llamas in an adjacent field.

Occasionally, photographs were taken, some featuring said farmhouse in the background.

Happened to pass the location again this week, accompanied by my daughter.

Mentioned as we walked by the resplendent white farmhouse, that I preferred when it used to be painted pink.

Seemingly confused, Donna expressed that the farmhouse had always been painted white.

Reassuring Donna that I was indeed correct on this, it was suggested we unearth those old photos.

Eventually unveiled, they did confirm that the farmhouse had, in earlier times, been painted...

... white.

NO IT WASN'T!!! Distinctly and memorably PINK.

Would have sworn an oath on this.

A church in my home town currently has a picturesque black and white tower. However, as a child I when I lived near it I admired its yellow plaster and green woodwork. It was green and yellow, not back and white. Nobody else remembers this but me!

Checked old photos, etc? :)

Haha, yup, I could check 100 photos and be no wiser!

The building was near my house. If I stood on the shed roof I could see it from my garden, which I obviously made a point of doing as often as possible! so I had plenty of opportunity to have a good look.
Plus, I often walked past it when visiting friends and playgrounds and I went to Brownies in the same building, so I knew it well.

One of my ambitions is to get up there and scrape off a bit of the black and white paint to reveal the lovely bright Victorian colours underneath.

Thanks to an interview with director Celine Sciamma, the latest ME debate is whether Titanic made Leonardo DiCaprio famous or not:
Leo who?

I saw him in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? and Romeo + Juliet before Titanic and he was pretty darn famous then. This whole "effect" is being reduced to ignorant sniping! On the internet, I know, who'd have thunk it?

I have spent most of the day searching the house for the various bits of the Wii as I fancied going back to the Wii fit while on lockdown.

We have two in the house and I’ve not found the base unit of either.

Anyway now the Mandela bit. I could have sworn the controller and board were rechargeable. But no. I’ve taken some very dead batteries out of the remote and the board instructions say about putting batteries in. I swear I remember charging them.

I have spent most of the day searching the house for the various bits of the Wii as I fancied going back to the Wii fit while on lockdown.

We have two in the house and I’ve not found the base unit of either.

Anyway now the Mandela bit. I could have sworn the controller and board were rechargeable. But no. I’ve taken some very dead batteries out of the remote and the board instructions say about putting batteries in. I swear I remember charging them.

Ok I’ve looked at my board and I have got a rechargeable battery pack which I must have got separately. But that doesn’t explain the remotes. Maybe I had similar for them. The remote I’ve found is for mums one. But I was sure they came rechargeable.

Here's a new, topical one: people convinced ITV showed the episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire with the cheats on it (coughing major, etc). It wasn't broadcast because they suspected foul play right after the episode was recorded. It was, however, broadcast some time later once the fraud had been established. But not at the time, it wasn't live.

Saw that former Rugby Union player Bill Beaumont had written an article and was very much alive.
But I thought he had died three years, I remember a stream of obituaries and the ubiquitous image of him hoisted on his teammates' shoulders when England won the Five Nations.

Did I dream that?

Back