The Ouija Board

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
I think the Ouija is best left alone to be honest (only my opinion)
I tend to agree. While the jury is out in regards to there being anything paranormal to Ouija, the board does seem to cause some sort of phycological effect on some human minds.

As teenagers my Brother and a few of his friends used to dabble.

Out of the four of them, two have suffered mental illnesses throughout their adult life’s, and the other 2 (my Brother being one of them) have suffered more than their fair share of bad luck, unemployment and relationship breakdowns etc.

My Brother is in his mid-fifties now and has recently had the indignity of moving back in with my (very) ageing parents.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Truth is personal. It's not my business to go around preventing other people from using Ouija boards if they wish, but I know I personally have a revulsion for them at a gut instinct level. Not dissimilar to my wife's aversion to scallops.
When I separated from my first wife back in 2000ish I bought a house and started looking through all the old paranormal paraphernalia and books that I had accumulated over my misspent youth and that had ended up in our loft. Boxes of Tarot cards, Rune Stones and a second hand Parker Bros Ouija Board etc. I actually considered getting them framed and hung as conversation pieces but thought it would frighten my kids off visiting.
I don’t know where it is now but I’m sure I read in the instructions that for best results the board should be placed between 1 male and 1 female, a bit Yin and Yang. I never attempted to play with it as I really don’t believe a piece of mass produced cheap wood with transfers on it could open the gate to the other side.
A girlfriend I lived with for a couple of years would always try to use it when her friends were round and got diddley squat in the way of results. She always blamed me saying I was too negative and I stopped anything manifesting.

I may be wrong but didn’t all the hysteria surrounding Ouija boards kick off after the making of the Exorcist. From memory it was a Parker Bros board that got the starring role?

Cochise

Antediluvian
When I separated from my first wife back in 2000ish I bought a house and started looking through all the old paranormal paraphernalia and books that I had accumulated over my misspent youth and that had ended up in our loft. Boxes of Tarot cards, Rune Stones and a second hand Parker Bros Ouija Board etc. I actually considered getting them framed and hung as conversation pieces but thought it would frighten my kids off visiting.
I don’t know where it is now but I’m sure I read in the instructions that for best results the board should be placed between 1 male and 1 female, a bit Yin and Yang. I never attempted to play with it as I really don’t believe a piece of mass produced cheap wood with transfers on it could open the gate to the other side.
A girlfriend I lived with for a couple of years would always try to use it when her friends were round and got diddley squat in the way of results. She always blamed me saying I was too negative and I stopped anything manifesting.

I may be wrong but didn't all the hysteria surrounding Ouija boards kick off after the making of the Exorcist. From memory it was a Parker Bros board that got the starring role?
No, predates the Exorcist . I was getting FOAF stories about the bad effects of the Ouija board in the late 60's. And my gut aversion to be anywhere near them predates even that. I actually didn't recall there were Ouija boards in the Exorcist.

My first recollection is an evening when staying with my cousins family about the time of the release of
Sergeant Pepper. We'd been playing board games -Cluedo, Totopoly, that kind of thing - and someone got out the Ouija board as if it was another inconsequential board game. It bloody well isn't.

Whether there is a supernatural aspect or whether it merely fucks with the brain I leave to you, but it is, as far as I am concerned a really bad thing and I will not stay in the room if someone is playing it.

INT21

Antediluvian
Yes, it's odd. I am quite skeptical of many paranormal claims (even though have had a few strange experiences) but I would never use one of these things.
Always had that lingering feeling that, should there be any truth in them, it would not be a good idea to invoke something from the 'other side'; which doesn't really exist'.... does it ?

File it under 'irrational fears'.

INT21.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
No, predates the Exorcist . I was getting FOAF stories about the bad effects of the Ouija board in the late 60's. ...
Same here. I'd heard negative things about them, encountered them, used them, and frankly dismissed them by the time The Exorcist was released.

I was no stranger to paranormal / divinatory pastimes, and I continued to study and use some such things well beyond my youth. However, I never managed to extend any credence to the Ouija.

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
No, predates the Exorcist . I was getting FOAF stories about the bad effects of the Ouija board in the late 60's. And my gut aversion to be anywhere near them predates even that. I actually didn't recall there were Ouija boards in the Exorcist.

My first recollection is an evening when staying with my cousins family about the time of the release of
Sergeant Pepper. We'd been playing board games -Cluedo, Totopoly, that kind of thing - and someone got out the Ouija board as if it was another inconsequential board game. It bloody well isn't.

Whether there is a supernatural aspect or whether it merely fucks with the brain I leave to you, but it is, as far as I am concerned a really bad thing and I will not stay in the room if someone is playing it.
I’m with Cochise on this one.

As a kid my wife had a functional and happy upbringing, until one evening her parents were introduced to the Ouija by some friends of theirs. Shortly after dabbling with the board her father turned from being a loving caring man into an angry drunken monster

6 months later her parents relationship broke down, which led to divorce and a complete meltdown of my mother in law’s mental health - which lasted for years due to her addiction of a certain (now banned) prescribed medication, which left her in a zombie like state.

As a result of this my wife had an absolutely horrible and dysfunctional childhood, which I think (but she denies) still affects her to this day.

Of course I have no idea if this was down to the Ouija, but I have heard so many stories of people dabbling with the board, and suffering mental health issues and bad luck.

Also and interestingly after the dabbling with the board, the family started experiencing minor poltergeist activity around their flat, nothing particularly disturbing or malign but definite activity.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I’m with Cochise on this one.

As a kid my wife had a functional and happy upbringing, until one evening her parents were introduced to the Ouija by some friends of theirs. Shortly after dabbling with the board her father turned from being a loving caring man into an angry drunken monster

6 months later her parents relationship broke down, which led to divorce and a complete meltdown of my mother in law’s mental health - which lasted for years due to her addiction of a certain (now banned) prescribed medication, which left her in a zombie like state.

As a result of this my wife had an absolutely horrible and dysfunctional childhood, which I think (but she denies) still affects her to this day.

Of course I have no idea if this was down to the Ouija, but I have heard so many stories of people dabbling with the board, and suffering mental health issues and bad luck.

Also and interestingly after the dabbling with the board, the family started experiencing minor poltergeist activity around their flat, nothing particularly disturbing or malign but definite activity.
Sounds like a movie plot!

Not in the sense that I don't believe you, just the opposite! but all that misery and strife starting with a Ouija game. It's like a Greek tragedy.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
I have never dared dabble with the ouija. I don't fear the board itself, but what it might make happen to my brain.

I'm an author. As such I spend a LOT of time writing down conversations that don't happen, between people that don't exist. I sometimes feel as though my brain treads a fine line between imagining these conversations (which sometimes go in surprising directions - writers frequently talk about 'their characters coming alive and doing things the author couldn't predict') and actually hearing those conversations. The imagination is a very powerful thing. I have a fear that using a device like a ouija board might somehow bring that part of my subconcious that runs these things to the fore, and that part of my mind that creates these people and their lives, activities and conversations might somehow make that happen off piste, as it were.

Authors often feel as though we are in very tentative control of our created characters. What if an external device could somehow cut loose our creative side and make us unaware of it and give a kind of life to these voices?

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
Sounds like a movie plot!

Not in the sense that I don't believe you, just the opposite! but all that misery and strife starting with a Ouija game. It's like a Greek tragedy.

I guess you could make a film of it scargy “based on real life events” ha ha.

Bagsy George Clooney playing the part of me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I have never dared dabble with the ouija. I don't fear the board itself, but what it might make happen to my brain.

I'm an author. As such I spend a LOT of time writing down conversations that don't happen, between people that don't exist. I sometimes feel as though my brain treads a fine line between imagining these conversations (which sometimes go in surprising directions - writers frequently talk about 'their characters coming alive and doing things the author couldn't predict') and actually hearing those conversations. The imagination is a very powerful thing. I have a fear that using a device like a ouija board might somehow bring that part of my subconcious that runs these things to the fore, and that part of my mind that creates these people and their lives, activities and conversations might somehow make that happen off piste, as it were.

Authors often feel as though we are in very tentative control of our created characters. What if an external device could somehow cut loose our creative side and make us unaware of it and give a kind of life to these voices?
OTOH if you ever care to base a character on a real person I'm up for that!

gattino

Justified & Ancient

Well you've just described the plot of your next book...

It's interesting. A lot of people on here have noted the fact that sometimes dream plots appear to have been scripted by someone other than ourselves..whether in imagination, plot detail or the use of memorable words and phrases unknown to us until we look them up after the dream. A few times ive had this experience without yet being asleep, where the wandering mind broadcasts a conversation between other people (real or imagined) from which I suddenly pull myself back into conscious awareness and think what the hell was that about, unable to retrace the origin of the semi dream.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
I guess what ive described there is so called hypnagogic/pompic hallucinations.

As an aside and a teaser this week i'll be going to a flotation centre to try sensory deprivation. Having heard various claims of the effects on the mental landscape that it may have, im curious to see what comes of it. I'll start a thread on Friday to report anything of interest.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

As an aside and a teaser this week i'll be going to a flotation centre to try sensory deprivation. Having heard various claims of the effects on the mental landscape that it may have, im curious to see what comes of it. I'll start a thread on Friday to report anything of interest.
Look forward to hearing your review - there is a vaguely new-agey centre near me offering sensory deprivation tanks and I've considered trying it.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Well you've just described the plot of your next book...

It's interesting. A lot of people on here have noted the fact that sometimes dream plots appear to have been scripted by someone other than ourselves..whether in imagination, plot detail or the use of memorable words and phrases unknown to us until we look them up after the dream. A few times ive had this experience without yet being asleep, where the wandering mind broadcasts a conversation between other people (real or imagined) from which I suddenly pull myself back into conscious awareness and think what the hell was that about, unable to retrace the origin of the semi dream.
Sadly, not quite the sort of thing my publisher expects from me (I write rom coms!)

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Got into work one day and straight away something was not right, the night shift lot were not happy bunny's,
now these lads were frighted of nothing hard has nails but something had put the fear of god into them,
We never got a full tail but they had found a Ouija board and buggered about with it, the plant had a reputation
of being haunted though I never saw anything supposedly a worker hung his self on a night shift, but that had never
bothered them before, and this may not have had anything to do with it but they sure has hell never messed with
a Ouija board again. would not talk about it nothing just did not want to know,

OrsonSwells

Devoted Cultist
A few times ive had this experience without yet being asleep, where the wandering mind broadcasts a conversation between other people (real or imagined) from which I suddenly pull myself back into conscious awareness and think what the hell was that about, unable to retrace the origin of the semi dream.
This happens to me all the time. Probably every day. The conversations are usually things I would in no way be able to invent consciously and seem entirely unrelated to anything I'm aware of. It's a very strange phenomenon.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Look forward to hearing your review - there is a vaguely new-agey centre near me offering sensory deprivation tanks and I've considered trying it.
Sensory deprivation tanks, hmm, you just KNOW the last occupant will have been sooo relaxed in it, urk.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
This happens to me all the time. Probably every day. The conversations are usually things I would in no way be able to invent consciously and seem entirely unrelated to anything I'm aware of. It's a very strange phenomenon.
I've often heard interviews with authors who talk about the characters showing up and bossing them (the authors) around. It sounds rather freaky sometimes. Creativity is one of the strangest phenomenons around.

A lot of people on here have noted the fact that sometimes dream plots appear to have been scripted by someone other than ourselves..
I often feel aware that there is another part of me that is WAY smarter than my conscious self. I feel more like I am part of it, not vice versa.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I often feel aware that there is another part of me that is WAY smarter than my conscious self. I feel more like I am part of it, not vice versa.
It's your subconscious. It's always trying to tell you things you're not happy about, like reminding you of the bad habits you should change.

Because these messages would be too brutal to convey in a simple way the subconscious uses dreams and symbolism.

People use methods like dream diaries to keep in touch with it.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
It's your subconscious. It's always trying to tell you things you're not happy about, like reminding you of the bad habits you should change.
It IS my subconscious, yes. It's given me warnings I've learned to heed. Once it gave me what felt like a kick in the gut, and once it felt like a kick on my rear end. Strangely, it doesn't fuss much about the habits I consider the "bad" ones. I've given myself a really bad time when my life has seemed stalled out and I believe I'm unproductive and incompetent, and it tells me, "relax, try to enjoy this time. Here's this other way you can look at things." And then even my runs of "bad luck" seem charmed and I learn something.