• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Worse than cream is evaporated milk. Yuk, yuk and yuk.

When I lived in Hong Kong I had a job co-presenting a kids radio programme, broadcast every Saturday from 10.00am to noon.

The studios were in Kowloon and I lived on Lantau Island. My commute was a 10/15 minute bus ride to the ferry terminal, an hour on the ferry, then a 20/30 minute bus ride to the studios.

If I turned up with a hangover (as was often the case) I would immediately go to the canteen and have the Chinese style tea, strong and black from a huge pot they'd add tea and water to as the day progressed and with evaporated milk. I called it tea soup. It was a great hangover cure.

Reusing teabags in wastewater treatment to remove pollutants.

People in Northern Ireland love their tea, drinking an average of four to six cups a day.

But when does a habit become a problem? Possibly when all those cuppas result in millions of teabags which may end up in landfill, generating climate-changing methane.

But a tea-loving scientist at Queen's University Belfast has found a way of using that tea waste, which could improve health and save lives around the world as well as keep it out of landfill. Dr Chirangano Mangwandi, a lecturer in chemical engineering, suspected tea leaves could be used in wastewater treatment to remove pollutants.So he collected the waste from a coffee shop on the university campus to test his theory. He cleaned the used tea leaves and put them through several processes to make an absorbent product. He then tested that product's ability to remove heavy metals such as chromium and arsenic from wastewater. And it worked.

"It's just a simple case of measuring a known quantity that you put it in the wastewater, depending on the concentration level that you want to remove," he said. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-68180875

Reusing teabags in wastewater treatment to remove pollutants.

People in Northern Ireland love their tea, drinking an average of four to six cups a day.

But when does a habit become a problem? Possibly when all those cuppas result in millions of teabags which may end up in landfill, generating climate-changing methane.

But a tea-loving scientist at Queen's University Belfast has found a way of using that tea waste, which could improve health and save lives around the world as well as keep it out of landfill. Dr Chirangano Mangwandi, a lecturer in chemical engineering, suspected tea leaves could be used in wastewater treatment to remove pollutants.So he collected the waste from a coffee shop on the university campus to test his theory. He cleaned the used tea leaves and put them through several processes to make an absorbent product. He then tested that product's ability to remove heavy metals such as chromium and arsenic from wastewater. And it worked.

"It's just a simple case of measuring a known quantity that you put it in the wastewater, depending on the concentration level that you want to remove," he said. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-68180875
Or, just use loose tea and wash it down your sink?

Used teabags creating climate-changing methane?

Oh Lord, save us from these idiots at the BBC.

Used teabags creating climate-changing methane?

It does look as if it's correct, the BBC were citing a N.I scientist.

Here's a scientific paper on the topic.

Tea powder waste as a potential co-substrate for enhancing the methane production in Anaerobic Digestion of carbon-rich organic waste

Anaerobic co-digestion of solid wastes with activated sludge for biogas production is an alternative and effective cleaner process of energy production from waste matter. This study comprehensively evaluated the suitability of Tea Powder Waste as an alternative co-substrate for higher biogas production. Biochemical Methane Potential analyses were performed on the anaerobic co-digestion of carbon-rich organic solid waste and Tea Powder Waste with the presence of Methanogens in activated sludge. The process parameters for the co-digestion of organic waste with Tea Powder Waste were optimized in order to achieve higher biogas production. Biogas producing reactors, with the organic wastes and methanogens activated sludge, were maintained under a mesophilic temperature (35 ± 2 °C) for 60 days retention period. The influence of various process parameters on the production of biomethane were analyzed. The optimized feed ratio of 1:2:1 (FFV: TPW: MAS) showed higher methane yield. Nitrogenous compounds present in Tea Powder Waste increased the methane production by four folds. The co-digestion of wastes showed 65% yield when compared to 40% yield as in mono-digestion of wastes.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0959652618322145

It does look as if it's correct, the BBC were citing a N.I scientist.

Here's a scientific paper on the topic.

Tea powder waste as a potential co-substrate for enhancing the methane production in Anaerobic Digestion of carbon-rich organic waste

Anaerobic co-digestion of solid wastes with activated sludge for biogas production is an alternative and effective cleaner process of energy production from waste matter. This study comprehensively evaluated the suitability of Tea Powder Waste as an alternative co-substrate for higher biogas production. Biochemical Methane Potential analyses were performed on the anaerobic co-digestion of carbon-rich organic solid waste and Tea Powder Waste with the presence of Methanogens in activated sludge. The process parameters for the co-digestion of organic waste with Tea Powder Waste were optimized in order to achieve higher biogas production. Biogas producing reactors, with the organic wastes and methanogens activated sludge, were maintained under a mesophilic temperature (35 ± 2 °C) for 60 days retention period. The influence of various process parameters on the production of biomethane were analyzed. The optimized feed ratio of 1:2:1 (FFV: TPW: MAS) showed higher methane yield. Nitrogenous compounds present in Tea Powder Waste increased the methane production by four folds. The co-digestion of wastes showed 65% yield when compared to 40% yield as in mono-digestion of wastes.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0959652618322145
Sorry, I didn't explain what I mean with any clarity.

The BBC push their climate change agenda at every opportunity and linking decaying tea bags to climate change is to me, the action of idiots.

The BBC push their climate change agenda at every opportunity and linking decaying tea bags to climate change is to me, the action of idiots.

As @ramonmercado says, the science is there.

Why does it being teabags mean that the science stops working?

It's low hanging fruit to return to leaves, or go for tea powder. Why not? And nobody is forcing you to do it...

you think the BBC shouldn't report on news? in general or just in this case?

As you can tell, I am struggling to understand your position on this one :dunno:

It's low hanging fruit to return to leaves, or go for tea powder. Why not? And nobody is forcing you to do it...

As you can tell, I am struggling to understand your position on this one :dunno:
I'm not disputing the science at all and of course the BBC should report the news (with impartiality). It's more that the BBC are constantly pushing various agendas and top of their list is Global Warming being caused by man. They push it at every opportunity even when reporting about rotting tea bags.

I'm not disputing the science at all and of course the BBC should report the news (with impartiality). It's more that the BBC are constantly pushing various agendas and top of their list is Global Warming being caused by man. They push it at every opportunity even when reporting about rotting tea bags.

isn't that the way the scientist offered it? Nobody would do this if there wasn't a pay off, which is...

Think about the people you know who work/worked at the BBC. Do they say it's a monolithic homogenous place with party lines to toe, or do they describe it as a ramshackle teetering sort of place where it's a miracle that it happens at all? OK, so my second hand knowledge (of six people in various roles) is hardly a statistically valid sample but it does all point in the same direction!

isn't that the way the scientist offered it? Nobody would do this if there wasn't a pay off, which is...

Think about the people you know who work/worked at the BBC. Do they say it's a monolithic homogenous place with party lines to toe, or do they describe it as a ramshackle teetering sort of place where it's a miracle that it happens at all? OK, so my second hand knowledge (of six people in various roles) is hardly a statistically valid sample but it does all point in the same direction!
When I say the BBC, I mean the BBC as an institution and as an institution it clearly has agendas which repeat themselves regularly.

As for the inner workings of the BBC, I know nothing about that. I just see the end result.

When I say the BBC, I mean the BBC as an institution and as an institution it clearly has agendas which repeat themselves regularly.

I know you do. Do you accept that other people see something different?

Why does direct working experience (as well as direct observation) not provide evidence against it?

If you dismiss my evidence, does it follow that your evidence is also dismissed? I'm hoping for evidence which isn't easily dismissed!

I know you do. Do you accept that other people see something different?

Why does direct working experience (as well as direct observation) not provide evidence against it?

If you dismiss my evidence, does it follow that your evidence is also dismissed? I'm hoping for evidence which isn't easily dismissed!
I wasn't dismissing your evidence at all. My point was I see the BBC as an end user not as someone who has an idea as to it's inner workings. It's the news they present. That is what I'm interested in.

Of course other people see things differently. That, obviously is the way of the world but seeing things differently doesn't mean that what they see is a fuller picture. Some people see just what they want to see and nothing else.

The evidence is that the BBC linked a rotting tea bag to man made global warming.

The BBC?

This is about tea.

I receive lots of tea and tea-adjacent gifts and I dutifully try almost all of them.

I was excited by the packaging, but ultimately today's was... rubbish.

'Bitty' and bland.

Only 'tea' in the sense of an infusion, of course.

SmartSelect_20240205_014754_Gallery.jpg

Worse than cream is evaporated milk. Yuk, yuk and yuk.
One of the lecturers who uses our office was keeping an open can of condensed milk in our fridge, which he was adding to tea. He claimed it made it taste like Thai tea. I have no idea what that is, but I say live and let live. Just don't try to persuade me to drink it. :-D

I used to know someone who made it with Carnation Milk. Is that the same as condensed?

I think what Kesavaross was saying is that there's reporting the news and there's repeatedly smacking viewers in the face with whatever agenda you're incessantly and aggressively pushing, further alienating people already calling for your demise due to overcharging for your mundane crap.

The BBC?

This is about tea.

I receive lots of tea and tea-adjacent gifts and I dutifully try almost all of them.

I was excited by the packaging, but ultimately today's was... rubbish.

'Bitty' and bland.

Only 'tea' in the sense of an infusion, of course.

View attachment 73619
Special tea of ancient grains.
Does that mean it's been lying around for a long time, or is it tea derived from plants that are genetically identical to what was around in the time of ancient Egypt? Many varieties of tea plant today are the result of selective breeding or cross-breeding, so tea drinkers are more familiar with those flavours than the truly ancient varieties.

Special tea of ancient grains.
Does that mean it's been lying around for a long time, or is it tea derived from plants that are genetically identical to what was around in the time of ancient Egypt? Many varieties of tea plant today are the result of selective breeding or cross-breeding, so tea drinkers are more familiar with those flavours than the truly ancient varieties.

Myth, it has multiple pyramids, some kind of Arabian rug and a variety of borderline racist fonts on the packaging.

And all you're focused on are botanical niceties?

There's no pleasing some folk.

Myth, it has multiple pyramids, some kind of Arabian rug and a variety of borderline racist fonts on the packaging.

And all you're focused on are botanical niceties?

There's no pleasing some folk.
It looks tasteful to my eyes.
Kamut tea isn't tea, I've just found out. It's made from wheat grains.
No wonder it tastes... unexpected.

Evap is quite useful for a thicker-bodied white tea.
Condensed is overkill for tea. Although it is great on its own or in cooking.

Does condensed work in coffee? It wouldn't be such a reach.

Back