• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Saw that when it was first up and may even have quoted it. :thought:

Brings to mind the '70s fad for not washing one's hair.
The idea was that as the scalp's natural oils would no longer be artificially stripped away they would condition the hair and keep it clean.
After couple of weeks of lank greasy locks and itchy heads we all hit the Vosene. :chuckle:

But humankind is supposed to have the wisdom and compassion to rise above mere brutal instinct, so I find the argument that, because nature is red in tooth and claw, cruel human practices shouldn't be criticised, a rather bizarre one.
Industry is prone to unregarded viciousness - it has no human conception...just the pursuit of convenience, and the Holy Dollar.

Gah! Even I shower.

But not much.
I almost never shower because I find the sensation unpleasant bordering on painful. It's a sensory thing so some people have suggested I might be on the autism spectrum but I don't think so?. My nephew's autistic. I mostly use flannels to do a whole strip body wash then occasionally dip myself in a luke warm bath to do the job properly. Both my parents and the Mrs have pestered me on why I don't simply shower instead to the point of me getting defensive and family arguments, I wish I could and probably can but I find it deeply unpleasant sensation wise. Plus it's harder to slip over lying down in a bath until you get out of it. I've caught service users in community care environments who've slipped in a shower. I even bought one old boy a shower mat. We're trained not to try to catch them because, the training logic goes, if we're also injured then who's going to make the phone call to rescue 'the old boy' but human instinct kicks in. You see someone slip and you catch them.

edit: sorry, this thread's supposed to be about vegans/vegetarians instead.

I almost never shower because I find the sensation unpleasant bordering on painful. It's a sensory thing so some people have suggested I might be on the autism spectrum but I don't think so?. My nephew's autistic. I mostly use flannels to do a whole strip body wash then occasionally dip myself in a luke warm bath to do the job properly. Both my parents and the Mrs have pestered me on why I don't simply shower instead to the point of me getting defensive and family arguments, I wish I could and probably can but I find it deeply unpleasant sensation wise. Plus it's harder to slip over lying down in a bath until you get out of it. I've caught service users in community care environments who've slipped in a shower. I even bought one old boy a shower mat. We're trained not to try to catch them because, the training logic goes, if we're also injured then who's going to make the phone call to rescue 'the old boy' but human instinct kicks in. You see someone slip and you catch them.

edit: sorry, this thread's supposed to be about vegans/vegetarians instead.

There is one other alternative - what I call the 'Kathmandu Shower'. It works best in a wetroom, but could also be tried in a decent sized shower cubicle I guess. The name comes from the ubiquitous 25L+ bucket and jug which exist in any south Asian bathroom, and in Kathmandu cheapo hotels they are normally just tiled wetrooms with a shower hose/tap half way up the wall (which you could only stand under if you're under 4ft tall) plus the bucket & jug combo, a sink and a loo.

You fill the bucket with water of the temperature of your choosing, and you can either use the jug and/or a flannel or sponge to have a good old scrub down, stood by the bucket. One can carefully pour a whole jug over one's self without that harsh shower spray sensation.

The bucket also does for laundry! Without buckets the whole of Asia might experience a breakdown of civilisation :)

How to Wash Your Hair in Kathmandu
House on Sale at Koteshwor Kathmandu - House for sale at Kathmandu  Metropolitan City, Kathmandu | Homeland Nepal: Next Generation of Real  Estate

You want to go eco-friendly, why not the Roman way - rub down with oil, scrape with a strigil and rinse.
Kathmandu Shower? We've always called them 'bucket baths'. I had to do that in 2017. I was camping out in our shop over winter while I was doing the refit.

People can't smell it on you. It gets rinsed off.
And what is the point in these products that look like little plastic balls that you put in with your laundry (to make it smell like 'fresh air'?) - Why isn't the smell of the detergent enough?

I gave these a go on your recommendation Floyd and I concur that they are tasty. I'm not vegan or veggie so I didn't have an alternative gravy so I used chicken granule gravy. Boiled broccoli as well. 8 out of 10.
You can find some good stuff in Lidl/Aldi (I haven't been in Aldi for ages though).
They often do cheeses/olives etc that you never see anywhere else for eg.

I caught a programme the other night as I was flicking through the channels, where four coffee aficionados where debating in a blind test which coffee was best.

The one they all hated was from Fortnum & Mason at £20 a bag (or whatever) and the best one turned out to be from Aldi.

Mind you, they could have all been idiots I suppose.

You can find some good stuff in Lidl/Aldi (I haven't been in Aldi for ages though).

I caught a programme the other night as I was flicking through the channels, where four coffee aficionados where debating in a blind test which coffee was best.

The one they all hated was from Fortnum & Mason at £20 a bag (or whatever) and the best one turned out to be from Aldi.

We do shop at Lidl and I love finding different food from abroad. I nearly bought a huge octopus tentacle from there a couple of Christmas's ago, I was thinking about making a mold of it using plaster of paris so I could produce a load of rubber octopus tentacles for Halloween nights.

...I was thinking about making a mold of it using plaster of paris so I could produce a load of rubber octopus tentacles for Halloween nights.

Considering the probable quality of Lidl octopus, you might as well just have bought several of the tentacles and kept them in the freezer.

maximus otter

Considering the probable quality of Lidl octopus, you might as well just have bought several of the tentacles and kept them in the freezer.

maximus otter
No, this was a belter Max so it cost a lot of money. I've sold and prepared small squid and octopus through Morrisons in the past but this single tentacle was thicker than a tube of toothpaste for want of a better comparison. Plus, there was only one left. (or it might have been a right).

About this time of year, the press usually do a taste comparison for Christmas puddings etc. IIRC, the 'value' brands usually do well.

I almost never shower because I find the sensation unpleasant bordering on painful.
It's strange you mention this, because starting a year or so ago, I now find the shower water to be too hot and too cold at the same time.
I have no idea how that works.

'It was exhausting': LA vegan restaurants are putting meat back on the menu

Despite decades of offering meatless this or gluten-free that, some Southern California restaurants have recently decided that going entirely vegan is not a recipe for long-term financial success.

After years of being vegan, some very well-known LA restaurants are adding meat, dairy or both to their menus to appeal to a larger audience.

A Gallup poll in August of this year, for instance, found that only 1% of Americans identify as vegans, with 4% considering themselves vegetarian.

“For the past three years as a vegan restaurant, it was exhausting trying to build that community. We were always petitioning for people to come to the restaurant,” he says.

“We felt like we had to open the restaurant up to more people, but we also saw a lot of vegan restaurants throwing in the towel,” Guerrero adds.

He points to the closures of several outposts of Monty’s Good Burger, an LA vegan burger chain.

“That says something,” Guerrero says.

Burgerlords isn’t the only restaurant to ditch a meat- and dairy-free menu. Margo’s, a restaurant in Santa Monica, Calif., also went nonvegan over the summer. Owner Mark Verge told Eater LA that it was a decision made to save the restaurant. “I think if we did not make the change, we were definitely going to have to close down,” he said. “I was probably going to lose 30 jobs. We were just not going to last going plant-based.”

https://www.sfgate.com/la/article/vegan-restaurants-adding-meat-los-angeles-18527772.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

maximus otter

Last edited:

'It was exhausting': LA vegan restaurants are putting meat back on the menu

Despite decades of offering meatless this or gluten-free that, some Southern California restaurants have recently decided that going entirely vegan is not a recipe for long-term financial success.

After years of being vegan, some very well-known LA restaurants are adding meat, dairy or both to their menus to appeal to a larger audience.

A Gallup poll in August of this year, for instance, found that only 1% of Americans identify as vegans, with 4% considering themselves vegetarian.

“For the past three years as a vegan restaurant, it was exhausting trying to build that community. We were always petitioning for people to come to the restaurant,” he says.

“We felt like we had to open the restaurant up to more people, but we also saw a lot of vegan restaurants throwing in the towel,” Guerrero adds.

He points to the closures of several outposts of Monty’s Good Burger, an LA vegan burger chain.

“That says something,” Guerrero says.

Burgerlords isn’t the only restaurant to ditch a meat- and dairy-free menu. Margo’s, a restaurant in Santa Monica, Calif., also went nonvegan over the summer. Owner Mark Verge told Eater LA that it was a decision made to save the restaurant. “I think if we did not make the change, we were definitely going to have to close down,” he said. “I was probably going to lose 30 jobs. We were just not going to last going plant-based.”

https://www.sfgate.com/la/article/vegan-restaurants-adding-meat-los-angeles-18527772.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

maximus otter
You'd think there'd be enough people (18 million) in LA-LA land to cover all bases really.

Heads per square miles counts. It's a big place, with a large population that's spread out. So look at the percentage of vegans in each restaurant's catchment area.
A vegan restaurant might work in an area with a large vegan population, but if that area is widespread then willingness to travel to eat out a restaurant is balanced by cost and ability to make it at home.

Heads per square miles counts. It's a big place, with a large population that's spread out. So look at the percentage of vegans in each restaurant's catchment area.
A vegan restaurant might work in an area with a large vegan population, but if that area is widespread then willingness to travel to eat out a restaurant is balanced by cost and ability to make it at home.
Well, Monty's Good Burger doesn't have very good reviews, so that's not going to help their sales for a start. It seems to be the taste/quality of the product that is putting people off, not the fact that it is vegan per se.

As for Burgerlords, they aren't ditching their vegan menu, they're merging with another company so people have the option of both vegan and meat/dairy.

Cheltenham pantomime removes song after vegan backlash​

Everyman Theatre Cheltenham

Mother Goose is on show at the Everyman Theatre until 7 January

A pantomime has come under fire for a song saying vegans are "annoying, anaemic, and gassy".

Following a backlash, the musical number has been axed from Mother Goose at the Everyman Theatre in Cheltenham.

The controversy surrounds a song which says the "g" in the word vegan stands for gassy and the "a for anaemic or annoying".
A spokesperson from the theatre said: "We respect all of our audiences' views and comments".

The star of the show, Gloucestershire's Tweedy the Clown, is cast as Mother Goose alongside a cast of experience pantomime actors.
Gloucestershire Live reported that some people from the crowd complained about the song on social media, and a girl who is vegan, said people at school had started singing the "vegan panto" song to her.

Nurse Anne Jeffery said the theatre should have put more thought into the lyrics.
A retired nurse, she told the BBC: "I'm not vegan, but I like vegan food. Maybe a bit more thought could have gone into it."

In a statement the Everyman Theatre said that Mother Goose is a live production, which is constantly being refined and improved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-67650700

Cheltenham pantomime removes song after vegan backlash​

Everyman Theatre Cheltenham

Mother Goose is on show at the Everyman Theatre until 7 January

A pantomime has come under fire for a song saying vegans are "annoying, anaemic, and gassy".

Following a backlash, the musical number has been axed from Mother Goose at the Everyman Theatre in Cheltenham.

The controversy surrounds a song which says the "g" in the word vegan stands for gassy and the "a for anaemic or annoying".
A spokesperson from the theatre said: "We respect all of our audiences' views and comments".

The star of the show, Gloucestershire's Tweedy the Clown, is cast as Mother Goose alongside a cast of experience pantomime actors.
Gloucestershire Live reported that some people from the crowd complained about the song on social media, and a girl who is vegan, said people at school had started singing the "vegan panto" song to her.

Nurse Anne Jeffery said the theatre should have put more thought into the lyrics.
A retired nurse, she told the BBC: "I'm not vegan, but I like vegan food. Maybe a bit more thought could have gone into it."

In a statement the Everyman Theatre said that Mother Goose is a live production, which is constantly being refined and improved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-67650700
And it exploits geese.

Boo hoo.
If you get offended by being the butt of satirical comedy - good for you. You can hold any opinion you wish.
But an opinion isn't a reason to shut it down.
Ah, the old "I'm not a XXX but ..."

I'm actually surprised that Ratner is not worth more than 2 million.

Not bad ... after slagging off your own firm, hemorrhaging stock value, and getting the boot.
Point taken. But what about other firms who get bad publicity which damages the firm's value and sales? A restaurant that is exposed as being disgusting in the kitchen - "Hey, looks like Dino's have been prosecuted for spitting in the sauce - let's go there tonight!" Look at that chip shop (?) in Scotland that got publicity by slagging of The Queen during the funeral? Under new management isn't it now?
Ultimately Barnum said that "There's no such thing as bad publicity, as long as they spell your name right." Closely related to Wilde's "There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." and Jack Sparrow's "... at least you've heard of me." :)

Another example of Barnum being wrong, I suppose, is the real-life streamer who is being jailed in Japan - he was being an ass for publicity.

Back