• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
BBC Radio 4 - Yeti
Tales of a bipedal ape-like creature persist in the myth and legend of the Himalayas. But does the yeti really exist? Two enthusiasts are determined to find out.

Andrew Benfield and Richard Horsey travel through India, Myanmar, Nepal and Bhutan in search of stories of yeti sightings and encounters. Over 10 episodes, they hear from villagers, yak herders, sherpas and mountaineers, who give surprisingly consistent descriptions of a mysterious, large, hairy creature.

This series takes us on a journey deep into Himalayan culture as the presenters grapple with their own inner demons to try to make sense of the yeti myth.

BBC Radio 4 - Yeti
Tales of a bipedal ape-like creature persist in the myth and legend of the Himalayas. But does the yeti really exist? Two enthusiasts are determined to find out.

Andrew Benfield and Richard Horsey travel through India, Myanmar, Nepal and Bhutan in search of stories of yeti sightings and encounters. Over 10 episodes, they hear from villagers, yak herders, sherpas and mountaineers, who give surprisingly consistent descriptions of a mysterious, large, hairy creature.

This series takes us on a journey deep into Himalayan culture as the presenters grapple with their own inner demons to try to make sense of the yeti myth.
I liked the vanishing Yeti hair incident. o_O
Seems that if you manage to grab some Yeti hair it will disappear if you don't 'dirty' it in some way, like by rubbing oil on it.

BBC Radio 4 - Yeti

This is a great series presented by the Danny Robins of cryptozoology :) The BBC are coming up trumps as regards the Battersea Poltergeist, Uncanny and the Witch Farm and now this in-depth and sober search for the Yeti. A welcome change after years of Fortean subjects being largely ignored by our state broadcaster, especially when you consider some of their trivial, social media-driven content...

I just finished the series, and I really, really enjoyed it. Not just for the yeti content - it's a great piece of story telling.

Added bonus - I recommended it to my personal trainer, who then sniggeringly told me that another of his clients claimed to have seen a big cat in the field across from his house. He wasn't sniggering after I pointed out that our area (Chester/North Wales) is a black cat hotspot [smug emoji].

But yes, it is a really good listen, it takes the subject seriously without getting - err - silly...

Another vote in favour of the 10 part BBC series! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001nhj4

For me, it's also a personal connection listening to some episodes as many of you know that my OH is Nepalese - he is from the middle foothills around Pokhara so has no personal experience of Yetis apart from flying with the airline so-named in Nepal. He thinks the Yeti is probably a myth but then also "Never say never!" . I think the series is great even just from a travelogue POV, never mind the excellent Yeti quest!

Wild Kingdom Search For Yeti 1969.
Badly researched, lazily dismissive and concerned more with health insurance than with the yeti. Arthur C Clark tackled the subject far better in Mysterious World.

Pics I took in the mountaineering museum in Pokhara.
D853EFAE-462E-4827-B2EA-9A1316ADF8C4.jpeg
EE88A22D-05F1-4A76-B5C4-D47D81984C4F.jpeg
772B487D-0E97-415E-B130-B085D013B8FB.jpeg
6CE8E679-CEE8-4685-A03C-282875D1FB18.jpeg

What’s their diet to maintain their bulk and size up there?
D07E318A-AB63-4495-83D5-019A765F770E.jpeg

They live in the forests down below.

In spite of their adaptation to high altitudes, no one has ever successfully recruited a yeti on a climbing expedition.

They live in the forests down below.

In spite of their adaptation to high altitudes, no one has ever successfully recruited a yeti on a climbing expedition.
A lot of places there are no forests down below.

Probably used to be.
Deforestation for firewood etc,and when your actually in these countries the tales of yeti are never down in the valleys but high up on the slopes at altitude.

What’s their diet to maintain their bulk and size up there?View attachment 71321
They don't live above the snowline. They live in forests ranging from alipne to tropical. They are omnivores with a diet similar to bears,. The feed on fruit, bamboo, tubers, leaves, deer, wild goats and yak. They are said to kill yaks by hurling big rocks at their skulls or grabbing the horns and twistinng the neck.

They don't live above the snowline. They live in forests ranging from alipne to tropical. They are omnivores with a diet similar to bears,. The feed on fruit, bamboo, tubers, leaves, deer, wild goats and yak. They are said to kill yaks by hurling big rocks at their skulls or grabbing the horns and twistinng the neck.
I heard all that when I was there which tropical forests as they are way down,no yak at the low altitudes,tiger in the tropical forests in Nepal.

Personally I think they are a bear,not the sloth bear which I saw in both India and Nepal,sloth bear aren’t large,but a type of bear.

I heard all that when I was there which tropical forests as they are way down,no yak at the low altitudes,tiger in the tropical forests in Nepal.
Yak live in the alpine meadows where they can graze. They don't live above the snowline as there is no food for them.

Personally I think they are a bear,not the sloth bear which I saw in both India and Nepal,sloth bear aren’t large,but a type of bear.
Bears do not habitually walk on their hind legs. Bears, being quadrupeds, had scapular, or shoulder blades, that lie flat at the sides of the body like a dog's. The yeti, like humans has outward facing scapular, giving it broad shoulders. The yeti has a flat, gorilla-like face with eas at the side of the head. Bears have long snouts and ears at the top of the head. The yeti has opposable thumbs that give it a grasping ability. Yetis can hurl rocks and swing clubs, bears cannot. The yeti is clearly some form or primate, a great ape or a relic hominin.

Back