• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Are NOT UFOs

The Oldfield (UK) 1955 'UFO' footage - this one is a classic:

As I was catching up on reading this thread I thought of this very sighting. Normally I would believe anything a British man with two first names and two last names has to say, but his total lack of desire to find a mundane optical explanation amazes me.

I first saw this years ago on a children's show about UFOs on CBS. It was the same material presented from the opposite viewpoint - horrendously condescending to any world view that allowed that there are still things that science didn't understand. It featured two women from the CBS news reporting staff, one playing the wise voice of reason and the other a gullible idiot. When the footage came on the nitwit shouted something like "Oh my God, it's a real flying saucer from another planet!" as if she were a dim five-year-old who wasn't there for the beginning of the show that stressed the importance of looking for mundane explanations.

I wonder how many kids who watched that show had their gifts of wonder and imagination squashed by it.

As I was catching up on reading this thread I thought of this very sighting. Normally I would believe anything a British man with two first names and two last names has to say, but his total lack of desire to find a mundane optical explanation amazes me.

I first saw this years ago on a children's show about UFOs on CBS. It was the same material presented from the opposite viewpoint - horrendously condescending to any world view that allowed that there are still things that science didn't understand. It featured two women from the CBS news reporting staff, one playing the wise voice of reason and the other a gullible idiot. When the footage came on the nitwit shouted something like "Oh my God, it's a real flying saucer from another planet!" as if she were a dim five-year-old who wasn't there for the beginning of the show that stressed the importance of looking for mundane explanations.

I wonder how many kids who watched that show had their gifts of wonder and imagination squashed by it.

I've seen that clip debunked. Someone requested the same seat on the place and and the same shape was there.

It turned out to be some reflection of the flaps and disappeared as the flaps retracted.

Notice it is very symetrical from a horizontal perspective.

I've seen that clip debunked. Someone requested the same seat on the place and and the same shape was there.

It turned out to be some reflection of the flaps and disappeared as the flaps retracted.

Notice it is very symetrical from a horizontal perspective.
Yes, that's actually at the end of the clip @Paul_Exeter provided, and was in the show I mentioned. It was actually the tail stabilizer distorted by the window glass, and it got bigger or disappeared depending on the exact angle of view.

My point was that it's possible to be either too skeptical or too willing to say something is mysterious - or even ascribe extraterrestrial origin to something with no evidence - when the level-headed thing to do is actually do research and find the simplest explanation.

Yes, that's actually at the end of the clip @Paul_Exeter provided, and was in the show I mentioned. It was actually the tail stabilizer distorted by the window glass, and it got bigger or disappeared depending on the exact angle of view.

My point was that it's possible to be either too skeptical or too willing to say something is mysterious - or even ascribe extraterrestrial origin to something with no evidence - when the level-headed thing to do is actually do research and find the simplest explanation.
As it got phrased in X-Files, if you want to believe you might ignore signs you shouldn't.

aren't we supposed to say UAP's nowadays!

IIRC it depends what you're referring to. A 'UAP' would be any 'Unknown Aerial Phenomena' so that would be all sorts of things above us, including strange lights, clouds etc, whereas the term 'UFO' would more likely be ascribed to something with a defined solid shape indicating an actual craft of some sort. Similarly a 'USO' would be a solid thing underwater.

Wasn't UAP used at one time for Unexplained Atmospheric Phenomena as well?

I also wish people on these endless UFO/UAP/UAP programmes would sort out their use of plurals.

"These phenomenon need investigating."
"Where are these crafts coming from?"

Singular: Phenomenon. Plural Phenomena.
Singular: Craft. Plural Craft. Unless you are talking about handicrafts, etc. :headbang::omr:

A balloon like object has been floating around Hawaii for a week at 36,000 feet and seems to be moving on.

The U.S. claims they know nothing about this balloon, but this balloon has no electronics, no threat, so the U.S. just left it alone.

Last edited:
Last reported the Hawaiian balloon is drifting towards Mexico.

But, how can a balloon say above Hawaii at 36,000 feet for a week and not be affected by winds ?

Last reported the Hawaiian balloon is drifting towards Mexico.

But, how can a balloon say above Hawaii at 36,000 feet for a week and not be affected by winds ?
Because it might have had a 36,000 foot long bit of string attached to it? :)

Last edited:
The Hawaii archipelago is 1500 miles long. To take 5 days to traverse this distance, the balloon would need to travel at an average of 10 mph. Unusually slow for a high altitude balloon. Maybe it passed between different atmospheric levels and changed directions a number of times, but that usually implies deliberate control. Or maybe the news stories aren't very accurate.

The Hawaii archipelago is 1500 miles long. To take 5 days to traverse this distance, the balloon would need to travel at an average of 10 mph. Unusually slow for a high altitude balloon. Maybe it passed between different atmospheric levels and changed directions a number of times, but that usually implies deliberate control. Or maybe the news stories aren't very accurate.
Well, was it in a wind stream that's actually nearly steady for months at a time?

I believe that winds in Hawaii are weaker in April than they are in May, when the Trade winds arrive, so it may be possible for a balloon to hang around for several days. I also understand that there is an El Niño event this year, which might explain the route of the balloon towards Mexico.

This is more Things that are not aliens. Somebody in 1912 predicting what newborns in 2012 will look like.
I feel that it would not look out of place standing next to a UFO.
img_1_1690301881498.jpg

This is more Things that are not aliens. Somebody in 1912 predicting what newborns in 2012 will look like.
I feel that it would not look out of place standing next to a UFO.
View attachment 68094
Looks a bit like a muscular version of Bat Boy. But how does being a factory worker or refusing to nurse your young lead to the development of a neuter gender of the species?

Last edited:
The concept of 'future humans' seems to have been hugely influential in shaping our cultural images of ufonauts. See Martin Kottmeyer's excellent multi part article "Varicose Brains".

Man's terror at UFO that soars at '2,000 mph to charge up in thunderstorm'
Carmen Rich was filming a storm off the coast of Fort Lauderdale Beach, Florida, US, last month [June 17] when he saw a 'ball of light' flying across the sky
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/mans-terror-ufo-soars-2000-30578690

Geez, the Mirror just goes all hysterical on headlines.
You can clearly see a very fast light (or lighted thing) pass horizontally from left to right. I don't see it as a "ball" as he says. I've not seen lightning like this described before. It could be a reflection, it could be an insect. But instead, he sold the video to the Mirror to cash in on the UFO mayhem in the US right now.

Man's terror at UFO that soars at '2,000 mph to charge up in thunderstorm'
Carmen Rich was filming a storm off the coast of Fort Lauderdale Beach, Florida, US, last month [June 17] when he saw a 'ball of light' flying across the sky
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/mans-terror-ufo-soars-2000-30578690

Geez, the Mirror just goes all hysterical on headlines.
You can clearly see a very fast light (or lighted thing) pass horizontally from left to right. I don't see it as a "ball" as he says. I've not seen lightning like this described before., It could be a reflection it could be an insect. But instead, he sold the video to the Mirror to cash in on the UFO mayhem in the US right now.
After viewing the video evidence - a number of times, I notice that the video shows that the so-called 'UFO' only appears just as the car appears in the foreground starts to cross in front of the camera.
Then as the 'UFO' disappears from view, the car has coincidentally passed out of the view of the camera, (*note that the headlight of the car appears to been on). I believe this is really only a capture of
refracted light, which the camera catches on the front of the lens.

Last edited:
$$$$$'s
He isn't stupid.
What the Newspapers and news media should really be going after, is for possible solid - and sensible explanations into their reports that are put forward, then it would filter out these false headline catchers that are entered into just for quick cash.
It might very well attract even more attention to people generally being able to understand just what is being portrayed as possible false or genuine UFO's/UAP reports.

They do whatever 'sells copy'.
If it's a picture of a London Bus on the moon, or Elvis landing a UFO at Area 51, or the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, Sasquatch and the Yeti, having a Tea Party, it's all fair game.

Back