Time Or Dimensional Slips

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
in those days the OS could only wander around and hope that they'd mapped everything
The OS was originally set up for a specific mapping purpose.
(according to wikibumdia)
Ordnance Survey (OS) is the national mapping agency for Great Britain. The agency's name indicates its original military purpose which was to map Scotland in the wake of the Jacobite rising of 1745. There was also a more general and nationwide need in light of the potential threat of invasion during the Napoleonic Wars.

My knowledge of their methods goes back to my geography lessons when I was at school (I'm now 55 & a 1/2) in which we learnt that soldiers as part of the Ordnance Survey cartographic team would map areas using triangulation and theodolites, thus negating the need for 'wandering around'. Accurate mapping could be created in a short space of time (relatively) over large distances, by a small team armed with a few poles, some small mirrors, and a couple of rudimentary telescopes.
If you go to your local library and ask for historical maps of the area you'll see a marked improvement in accuracy and detail from about the mid 1800's - publication of the one-inch to the mile series of OS maps for Great Britain were completed in 1891.
Previous to that, most local level maps would have been hand-drawn by somebody with knowledge of the local area and as such would be more pictorial in nature than accurately cartographic.
Areas about which little was known (e.g. the thickly wooded areas) would have contained little detail and were likely to carry the oft-quoted "here be dragons".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey#City_and_town_mapping,_19th_and_early_20th_century