• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Mainly Gaul. They had to be from Northern territories to be able to withstand our climate.
Just found this:
Diversity in the Roman Army, specifically about Roman soldiers in Britain:

Until the second quarter of the second century when British recruits became more common, legionaries came initially mainly from Italy (81%), but by the end of the first century were mainly from North Africa and the western provinces of Hispana, Gallia, Germania, Raetia (an Alpine province) and Noricum (roughly modern Austria/Slovenia). By this time Italian recruits constituted only about 20% of the number. Thus the army was ethnically highly diverse. Auxiliary troops introduced an even greater ethnic diversity, with men from Batavia (part of the modern Netherlands), Tungria (part of modern Belgium) and Thrace (roughly modern Bulgaria).

Although at the beginning of the occupation there were mass conscriptions in Batavia, Tungria and Thrace to raise units of auxiliaries, over time these units were supplemented not only by British recruits, but also by recruits from elsewhere in the empire. Mattingly cites examples of three men who served in a Tungrian unit but whose origins were in Germania Inferior (the west bank of the Rhine) and the Alpine province of Raetia. It appears however, that a unit’s fighting history and traditions were important factors in creating a ‘unit identity’ irrespective of the soldiers’ ethnic origins. He also notes that where there were large numbers of men broadly of one ethnicity in a unit or garrison, variants of the military identity formed by common training, living routines and religious practices might emerge. Thus, amongst a large group of third century Germanic recruits at Housesteads on Hadrian’s Wall, Germanic deities were celebrated in addition to those in the official army calendar of religious practice, and Frisian pottery was also found there.

Wow, I wonder where that was? :)
My cousin and his wife dropped in today and his wife filled me in about the man with an arrow or spear through him onto the wall.
It was at a house that used to be King John's hunting lodge now owned by distant relative of their son in law.
It was in Astwood Park in Warwickshire.
She said that he had gone upstairs to the toilet and saw it on the way.

My cousin and his wife dropped in today and his wife filled me in about the man with an arrow or spear through him onto the wall.
It was at a house that used to be King John's hunting lodge now owned by distant relative of their son in law.
Thank you! My youngest lives in the area. I'll see if I can send her to check it out!

I wonder then, if it was an actual privately owned house, it might have been a 'jape' set up by the owners.

Someone speared to the wall actually inside the house would be very odd behaviour. I could understand a hunting accident outside, but someone murdered in such a fashion would surely leave local stories. Anyone know how much force would be necessary to get a spear or arrow through a person and into a stone wall?

If it was they would have had to have known when my cousin would be going to the toilet.
As I've said before he had some experiences in other places, even at home on the stairs.
Those from my Father's side are prone to having unusual happenings I guess.

If it was they would have had to have known when my cousin would be going to the toilet.
As I've said before he had some experiences in other places, even at home on the stairs.
Those from my Father's side are prone to having unusual happenings I guess.
Not really. They could just set it up and leave it there - presumably they have other visitors? Then take it down again to make it looks 'mysterious'? Some people just love to play this sort of gag, and have special set ups so that things can be put up and taken down very fast.

I’m rereading one of the IHTM books. I’d completely forgotten about this one. It’s a quote from the down in the basement tale, which took place in 1979.

“Q) Who are you? [Erratic movement of the glass. No coherent name.] Q) Where are you from? A) Earth Q) When did you pass on? A) 21st century. [Murmurs of disbelief. I asked everyone in turn to take their fingers off the glass to eliminate the possibility of a prank. But the story remained consistent, and everyone was as mystified as I was.] Q) Which part of Earth did you come from? A) Another time dimension Q) How did you die? A) Illness which was caused by the fall-out of vehicular power source. Q) What powered your craft? A) Inter-React Drive Q) Why do you answer only my questions? A) You are my ancestor Q) How can we help you? A) Release me from your time-zone Q) How? A) I do not know Q) Do you want us to contact you again? A) Yes. At this point, Brian jokingly asked: “How much is the price of petrol these days?” The glass shot across the table and fell over. The séance was concluded. ”

Excerpt From
Fortean Times: It Happened to Me! Vol. 2
Fortean Times
https://books.apple.com/gb/book/fortean-times-it-happened-to-me-vol-2/id441724263
This material may be protected by copyright.

Not really. They could just set it up and leave it there - presumably they have other visitors? Then take it down again to make it looks 'mysterious'? Some people just love to play this sort of gag, and have special set ups so that things can be put up and taken down very fast.
It might even be an 'artwork'.

I only know that he said he thought it was a real man and had thought at first it was an actor but didn't know what to think when noone else
saw him as there was nothing there when they went to look, and noone had come down the stairs.
He said that the man was pinned to the wall.

I’m rereading one of the IHTM books. I’d completely forgotten about this one. It’s a quote from the down in the basement tale, which took place in 1979.

“Q) Who are you? [Erratic movement of the glass. No coherent name.] Q) Where are you from? A) Earth Q) When did you pass on? A) 21st century. [Murmurs of disbelief. I asked everyone in turn to take their fingers off the glass to eliminate the possibility of a prank. But the story remained consistent, and everyone was as mystified as I was.] Q) Which part of Earth did you come from? A) Another time dimension Q) How did you die? A) Illness which was caused by the fall-out of vehicular power source. Q) What powered your craft? A) Inter-React Drive Q) Why do you answer only my questions? A) You are my ancestor Q) How can we help you? A) Release me from your time-zone Q) How? A) I do not know Q) Do you want us to contact you again? A) Yes. At this point, Brian jokingly asked: “How much is the price of petrol these days?” The glass shot across the table and fell over. The séance was concluded. ”

Excerpt From
Fortean Times
https://books.apple.com/gb/book/fortean-times-it-happened-to-me-vol-2/id441724263
I kind of remember that one, strange indeed

I’ve not seen seances contacting people from the future anywhere else.
Wasn't the Scole group contacted by something claiming to be from the future shortly before it shut down? And not seance, but more poltergeistish, and quite possibly fictional, there were claims of contact from the future in The Vertical Plane by Ken Webster, if I recall correctly.

No-one alive knows what Latin really sounded like.
We have documents and inscriptions in Latin, but the pronunciation, cadence, intonation, accent etc. have been lost for a couple of thousand years.
Look at Hungarian, Basque, Portuguese or Gaelic. An English person with no knowledge of these languages but attempting to read them would pronounce them totally incorrectly, when compared with native speakers. Ecclesiastic or scholarly use of Latin today is just a guess as to how it would have sounded and may be very wrong.

This YT video is worth a watch, featuring a host of extinct languages.
The Latin starts at 0:55 and the Old English at 1:57.
No Proto-Indo-European sadly, but the Proto-Celtic starting at 3:27 is fascinating.

This YT video is worth a watch, featuring a host of extinct languages.
The Latin starts at 0:55 and the Old English at 1:57.
No Proto-Indo-European sadly, but the Proto-Celtic starting at 3:27 is fascinating.

How strange Bless. I was up quite late last night youtubing (as you do) and this vid randomly appeared on my watchlist.

A nice coincidence.

There was also a similar short video afterwards, that chronicled the English language from Saxon times right up to modern times. That was quite interesting too, but I cant now remember what it was called.

Wasn't the Scole group contacted by something claiming to be from the future shortly before it shut down? And not seance, but more poltergeistish, and quite possibly fictional, there were claims of contact from the future in The Vertical Plane by Ken Webster, if I recall correctly.
Ahh The Vertical Plane, another one I wished were true but I have my doubts (good book all the same)

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/ghosts-computers-including-the-vertical-plane.4601/

How strange Bless. I was up quite late last night youtubing (as you do) and this vid randomly appeared on my watchlist.

A nice coincidence.

There was also a similar short video afterwards, that chronicled the English language from Saxon times right up to modern times. That was quite interesting too, but I cant now remember what it was called.
I did enjoy the video but, as mentioned earlier in this thread, any attempt at a recreation of an extinct language must, of necessity, incorporate a fair bit of guesswork. The spoken Latin in the video just sounded like sing-song Italian to me (which it may well have done back in the days of the Roman Forum).

This is a good one from one of the IHTM books.

“NIGHT BOMBERS The following happened when I had recently arrived back in the UK from New Zealand, so I estimate it took place about 1971. I was working as a chef in the village of Clare, Suffolk. Travelling home one night between 11.30pm and midnight, on the back road from Cavendish to Foxearth, (a very rural location), I became aware of a low droning sound. I stopped the car on a right hand curve, by a field, got out and stood on the edge of the field. The night sky was filled with World War II bombers, I would guess I could see more than 30, flying spaced out, (I was not!) in the same direction and it was their prop engines producing the noise. I don’t recall whether or not they showed any lights. During World War II, this part of eastern England was peppered with airfields from where the bombing raids against Germany were launched. I believe what I saw was maybe one of the 1,000 bomber raids forming, which would have taken place maybe 30 or so years prior to my sighting. It goes without saying that by the 1970s there would only have been a[…]”

Excerpt From
Fortean Times

“NIGHT BOMBERS The following happened when I had recently arrived back in the UK from New Zealand, so I estimate it took place about 1971. I was working as a chef in the village of Clare, Suffolk. Travelling home one night between 11.30pm and midnight, on the back road from Cavendish to Foxearth, (a very rural location), I became aware of a low droning sound. I stopped the car on a right hand curve, by a field, got out and stood on the edge of the field. The night sky was filled with World War II bombers, I would guess I could see more than 30, flying spaced out, (I was not!) in the same direction and it was their prop engines producing the noise. I don’t recall whether or not they showed any lights. During World War II, this part of eastern England was peppered with airfields from where the bombing raids against Germany were launched. I believe what I saw was maybe one of the 1,000 bomber raids forming, which would have taken place maybe 30 or so years prior to my sighting. It goes without saying that by the 1970s there would only have been a[…]”

Excerpt From
Fortean Times
Amazing...I prey to see a time slip before I departed from this world.

Excerpt From
Fortean Times
I like this tale however unlike many phantom aircraft encounters it involves engine noise and a skeptic might argue it was RAF and/or USAF C-130 Hercules aircraft low-flying at night on an exercise during the height of the Cold War. Yes, it is a lot of aircraft but back in 1971 there were still a large number of military airfields active in this area.

I remember staying with relatives near the old RAF Abingdon airfield, probably in the early/mid 1960s. They used to do parachute training and sometimes a line of aircraft would take off for a late drop. It's possible they saw something like that.

I remember staying with relatives near the old RAF Abingdon airfield, probably in the early/mid 1960s. They used to do parachute training and sometimes a line of aircraft would take off for a late drop. It's possible they saw something like that.
The USAF 'Night Owls":

"The 67th Special Operation Squadron (67th SOS), nicknamed the Night Owls, is an active United States Air Force unit operating the Lockheed MC-130J Commando II. It is based at RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, in the United Kingdom and assigned to the 752d Special Operations Group. It was originally activated at RAF Sculthorpe in 1952, transferred to Morón Air Base in Spain in 1966, relocated to RAF Woodbridge, Suffolk, in 1970, transferred to RAF Alconbury, Cambridgeshire in 1992 and, finally, moved to RAF Mildenhall in 1995. The 67th SOS is tasked with flying single or multi-ship low-level air refueling missions for special operations helicopters, infiltration, exfiltration and resupply of special operations forces by airdrop or airland.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/67th_Special_Operations_Squadron

Puts them in the right location in 1971

Another one from the IHTM books. I couldn’t help envisaging Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones though.

“ROMAN CAVALRY RETURNS

For almost five years, John England and I have gone metal detecting on 2,000 acres of land belonging to a country estate near the village of Little Wenlock outside Telford in Shropshire. One warm Autumn evening in the first week of October 1995, we made the half-hour drive and, after cooking up two tins of beans, decided to search a large field which had never produced much, but we felt it had potential; just a gut feeling. We called it the boulder field, because of a pile of boulders in one corner. Shortly before midnight, we began to sweep our search heads over the ancient landscape. John headed off on his usual perimeter route while I made a diagonal across the field. The silence was broken by the occasional ‘clunk’ as my search-head hit a stone. The first half dozen signals produced nothing but iron, but then I unearthed a silver coin. The profile of an elephant told me it was a republican denarius of Julius Caesar. Over the next hour I found several Roman bronzes and another denarius, this time of Rutilius Flaccus. ”

“Three hours after we began the search, I met John, who had found seven coins and a fibula. We flopped down on a grassy bank for tea and sandwiches. Getting our second wind, we resumed the search together and discovered four artefacts within 40 minutes. One had “Nigel” punched on its surface and was obviously a javelin tip. Suddenly, we heard a noise like galloping horses. The ground vibrated as the thundering hooves came right at us. The noise passed between us as we ran in opposite directions and died away as quickly as it had started. We had not seen anything. A little unnerved, we headed across the field towards the car. Half way across, we came upon what looked like a hedge, although we knew there was no such obstruction in the boulder field. It was about 9ft (2.7m) tall, very dense, with a straight top as if it had been cut; brown in colour, with traces of white on top. Thinking we must have strayed in the dark, we walked next to it for almost 80 yards. By the time we had come to the end, we were able to look down the slope of the
“field and see the car. Realising that we were indeed in the boulder field, we turned round to find that the ‘hedge’ had disappeared. We waited for dawn by the car and then spent the best part of an hour examining the field. The winter wheat had yet to break the surface; our own footprints showed up, but nothing else. These clearly showed how we had been forced to deviate from our route. From a diagonal course, we had gone off at a tangent for almost 100 yards before resuming our original direction. A few weeks later, we called on archæologist Mike Stokes at Rowley House Museum, Shrewsbury. He was very interested in our finds and their location. There was no record of any Roman sites in that area. The javelin tip was one of the best he had seen and the only one inscribed in such a personal way. “Nigel” was presumably short for “Nigelus”. The other artefacts were bridle fittings used by Roman cavalry. I believe that John and I witnessed a time slip and that the ‘hedge’ was really a stockade surrounding a fort. Could the sound of hooves have come from a cavalry unit coming
“from (or returning to) the fort? Colin Ayling, Woodside, Shropshire, 1996 ”

Excerpt From
Fortean Times: It Happened to Me! Volume 1
Fortean Times
https://books.apple.com/gb/book/fortean-times-it-happened-to-me-volume-1/id441512544

Last edited:
Another one. This one seems to have two in it.

“In early 1983, when I was 49, I travelled to the Cheetham area of Manchester for my son’s wedding. The day before the ceremony, I walked to the church to become familiar with the route. I had never been to Manchester before. Glancing across a main road, I saw a rather dilapidated cemetery with rusty railings, very long grass and what I took to be a chapel with a square tower. I can’t recall if I glanced away and then returned my gaze, or if what took place happened before my eyes. Suddenly the scene changed: the cemetery was neat; the streaked and dirty yellow brickwork clean; the railings newly painted. The clouds were replaced by blue sky and sunshine. Several figures were walking quite quickly along an unseen path to my right. There were two women about 30 years old; the one nearer to me had her hair up, with a small, circular hat of flowers and a cream-coloured parasol to shade her and her companion. She wore a long tight white dress that swung from side to side in a corkscrewing motion, a frilly blouse with a high collar and white gloves almost to her elbows
“ Her companion was shorter, with loose, shoulder-length hair. They were in animated conversation, too far away for me to overhear. Other figures on the path, about 20ft (6m) before and behind this couple, were less clear. Very quickly the whole scene vanished and the drab present-day returned.About 10 or 15 minutes later I reached a road junction. Opposite was a patio area bordered by four or five modern-fronted shops set in a semi-circle. I scanned other shops to my right and turned once more to the patio, ready to cross the busy road when traffic allowed. It now had four or five wooden tables set with chairs. Several men were sitting at the tables, dressed poorly in thick grey flannel and large flat caps. The shops behind them looked empty with sparse window displays, I’m not certain of what.Around the edge of the pavement were three raised steps, with bollards at about 6ft (1.8m) intervals. The whole scene was grey, rather like an old photograph. I had the impression that the men were outside a public house or a café. They were in conversation, but I could hear nothing, not even the modern traffic passing
“A sense of “unworldliness” pervaded and yet it seemed familiar in some way. Then it all vanished, to be replaced by the modern scene.
Derek Gibson, Wadebridge, Cornwall, 1999 ”

Excerpt From
Fortean Times
https://books.apple.com/gb/book/fortean-times-it-happened-to-me-volume-1/id441512544

I do thoroughly recommend these books if you can get hold of them.

“In early 1983, when I was 49, I travelled to the Cheetham area of Manchester for my son’s wedding. The day before the ceremony, I walked to the church to become familiar with the route. I had never been to Manchester before. Glancing across a main road, I saw a rather dilapidated cemetery with rusty railings, very long grass and what I took to be a chapel with a square tower. I can’t recall if I glanced away and then returned my gaze, or if what took place happened before my eyes. Suddenly the scene changed: the cemetery was neat; the streaked and dirty yellow brickwork clean; the railings newly painted. The clouds were replaced by blue sky and sunshine. Several figures were walking quite quickly along an unseen path to my right. There were two women about 30 years old; the one nearer to me had her hair up, with a small, circular hat of flowers and a cream-coloured parasol to shade her and her companion. She wore a long tight white dress that swung from side to side in a corkscrewing motion, a frilly blouse with a high collar and white gloves almost to her elbows
“ Her companion was shorter, with loose, shoulder-length hair. They were in animated conversation, too far away for me to overhear. Other figures on the path, about 20ft (6m) before and behind this couple, were less clear. Very quickly the whole scene vanished and the drab present-day returned.About 10 or 15 minutes later I reached a road junction. Opposite was a patio area bordered by four or five modern-fronted shops set in a semi-circle. I scanned other shops to my right and turned once more to the patio, ready to cross the busy road when traffic allowed. It now had four or five wooden tables set with chairs. Several men were sitting at the tables, dressed poorly in thick grey flannel and large flat caps. The shops behind them looked empty with sparse window displays, I’m not certain of what.Around the edge of the pavement were three raised steps, with bollards at about 6ft (1.8m) intervals. The whole scene was grey, rather like an old photograph. I had the impression that the men were outside a public house or a café. They were in conversation, but I could hear nothing, not even the modern traffic passing
“A sense of “unworldliness” pervaded and yet it seemed familiar in some way. Then it all vanished, to be replaced by the modern scene.

Excerpt From
Fortean Times

Cheetham is an old neighborhood quite close to the City center, it was home to 1000's of Irish and Jewish immigrants in the early 20th Century, before that many wealthy cotton mill owners lived in the area I think by the description it sounds like St Lukes

St Lukes Church Yard

Cheetham is an old neighborhood quite close to the City center, it was home to 1000's of Irish and Jewish immigrants in the early 20th Century, before that many wealthy cotton mill owners lived in the area I think by the description it sounds like St Lukes

St Lukes Church Yard
Cheetham is now the centre of fake goods retailers which get raided regularly, but continue to proliferate, as does the oldest profession. An area to drive through quickly or avoid if possible.

Excerpt From
Fortean Times

I seem to remember that long gloves were only worn with sleeveless dresses, with anything with sleeves longer than that, short gloves should be worn. But maybe that's more recent etiquette.

I seem to remember that long gloves were only worn with sleeveless dresses, with anything with sleeves longer than that, short gloves should be worn. But maybe that's more recent etiquette.
Tight dress that was swinging was weird and a 30 year old with her (shoulder length) hair down. I mean she could have been bohemian.

Back