• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Quirks: Perceived Time Flow Slowing, Stopping Or Speeding Up

I remember reading a while ago somewhere that your perception of time is linked closely with your heart beat, ie a young persons heart will beat say 10000 times per week and as you get older this number reduces gradually to say 8000 beats and thus it seams as though time is passing quicker, it also said that by the time you are approximately 25 – 30 as far as you perceive, you have lived half your life (scary)

To me, it seems like only four ofr five years ago since I held my first daughter ten minutes after her birth. In fact, she's turned into a beautiful young lady of almost sixteen. Where the hell does the time go? :)

I think it's to do with repitition. Once you're in a regular job, and particular of the more menial variety, there's less to differentiate between your day to day experiences. You can sometimes go a few days or weeks without doing something worth remembering past the day it happened. I often notice how, especially on an evening shift, if I go out afterwards I get much more from the day, otherwise it feels "lost". It's almost as if we write off most of our adult lives... :(

I was thinking along these lines today. Driving along a country road in the bright sunshine with my arm hanging out the window, I suddenly found myself thinking about my father who died 20 years years ago. Many aspects of his life are unclear to me and I will probably never understand. But I was suddenly missing him. I was wondering if he'd understand the direction my own life has taken. Down and then up and then roughly level.

I was thinking about how much my life and the world had changed in the past 20 years. I was wondering whether he had ever driven the same stretch of road. Would he understand my world now?

10 years ago, when he had been dead for 10 years - then I couldn't quite believe that 10 years had passed. Now 20 years feels exactly the same. Actually, it almost seems to feel like less time. He is still just as fresh in my memory. 10 years or 20 years makes no difference.

10 years, 10 years ago now feels like 20 years, 20 years ago. Exactly the same.

When we are young we experience everything ourselves. Once we get older and have to start learning boring repetative tasks, things still go quite slowly till we master whatever it is we need to learn. ie driving, a boring repetative job, etc. then our 'robot' does it for us and we switch off. As we are practically asleep when the robot is doing thses things for us, its no wonder we find ourselves wistfully thinking where the time has gone.
we have all got out of our car having driven several miles over a regular route we know well and realized that we cant recall the journey havent we ? (thats because the robot inside us took over the boring job for us.)

NB. for a thorough explaination of the 'robot' theory read Colin wilsons - the occult and take a look at the works of G I Gurdjieff and P D ouspensky.

While the " % of time compared to the length of time lived" idea makes a lot of practical sense, I do think the just mentioned "robot" theory also may play a part.

That is, as we get older, think of how much .... STUFF... the mind has to play with. I don't mean accumulated memory, I mean, the simple flotsam and jetsam of getting through an average day, an average week, etc. Think of all those "to do" lists, explicitly and implicitly banging around in your cranium, the mental "Weight" of concerns and responsibilities, the planning ahead required, etc. I think all of this "disengages" us from experiencing life, the passage of time, in much the same way that you can (frighteningly) discover you are ten miles closer to home with little conscious recollection of having "actively driven" those ten miles (and no, not counting Fortean "missing time" experiences"...*S*).

I wonder if folks in more... idyllic?... places experience the same "time acceleration" effect?

Shadow

Similar experience for different age groups -

I re-entered further/higher education in October '99.

Most of my fellow students are 21-22 years old, I'm mid-40's.

We seem to have the shared experience of some lectures lasting forever (strategic management, anyone?), but, nearing the end of he course, while the younger ones say things like 'It's feels like I've only known you a few weeks...', I'm thinking 'It's feels like I've only known you a few days'...

For me, FE/HE has been less than 10% of my life - for them, it's more like 20%.

Weeks/days....:confused:

I remember watching Tony Curtis being interviewed on some chatshow two or three years agoI cant remember the exact question.He was asked to comment on his life as a hollywood idol. He said From going to my first screen test to my career as an actor and now 40+ years later talking to you(I cant remember the talk show)the screen test was like yesterday thats how quick it passed.With out doubt time takes wings as we age or at least our perception of it seems to.Strange but true.

Seems like 5 minutes ago that I decided impulsively to go back to university- it's exam time now!!!!!

And last week, wasn't I having my first baby..........?

Has anyone every experienced, in a situation that might be classed an emergency (i.e., imminent pain or danger), the sensation of time slowing down? I have experienced it twice.

Once, I was a passenger in a truck. We were in the middle of a fierce snowstorm and the roads were icy. The truck started doing donuts, and the driver very calmly said, 'Just hold onto something'. We spun all over the road, but it seemed as if we were doing it in slow motion. The driver was very cool and we were back on track after about 6 slow and lazy donuts.

Another time (and this is a banal story) I was playing badminton. I saw the birdie come right towards my eye, but it was 'hurtling' in extra slow motion. It then smacked right into my open eyeball, which I thought was weird since I seemed to have had all the time in the world to react to this thing approaching me.

This also happened to a friend. He was bicyling along a road in a residential area and ran into the side of a car that suddenly appeared. He said that everything went into slow motion and he was able to plan how he would land, which he proceded to to without injury to himself by executing a perfect front roll after sailing over the hood/bonnet of the car. Luckily there was a lawn nearby!

Does anyone know what causes this phenomenon/sensation abberation/whatever?

I hate to think it happens to people who are about to die from something horrible (the kind of death where it said that the victim 'died instantly').

I've experienced this a couple of time but in relatively minor situations. Once when I was playing football as a kid everything suddenly went into slow motion and I could see every detail on the ball as it was spinning towards me.

The second time was when someone at work knocked over a tin of paint. I watched in fascination as it fell in perfect slow motion and burst open.

Wouldn't it be great if we could switch on this ability at will.

It's happened to me a few times, but time doesn't slow down so much as I seem to get suddenly detached, as if I'm watching a movie. When I rolled a car into the ditch once (nobody was hurt, thankfully) it was like it wasn't happening to me but to somebody else.

After I got out of the car and realized I was ok, that's when I started to panic! :?

I've experienced this kind of thing but in traumatic situations. The first time I clearly remember it was when I was 14 years old and a neighbour came to the door to say my cat (that I'd had since I was three) was dead in the road.

I think it's a coping mechanism caused by some chemical release in the brain. In instances where something horrible is happening to the individual and they are aware of it it might be to enable the brain to focus solely on that event so that, rather than panic, you can potentially figure a way out: maybe it's pure survival instinct. I suspect in horrible deaths it's just the lead up that is slowed down: actual death itself is instantaneous. :?:

My colleague at work, who also had this happen to him in a football game which enable him to execute a perfect save, reckons it happens more often to people who are young and fit. He bases this on the fact that it hasn't happened to him any more in recent years.

This is something that happens to me in any emergency and I believe that inherited it from my Dad and he from his father. Does anyone else who has experienced it also have other family members who have this trait? Also, do you find that you are stronger when the slow-time occurs?

Mine started when I was very young. When I was a kid, it happened more often and with less of a crisis necessary to precipitate the "slow time". I find it kind of comforting to have this trait as it has proven very helpful many times.

My mother is an "outside observer" of this in both my Dad and me and she said that what it looks like to her is that we suddenly move "like a snake striking". She said it just seems blurringly fast and then you see the fall-out from what we did afterwards. To us, it seems like everything is going quite slowly but to someone watching it seems the opposite.

One recent example was when a driver under the influence of drugs rear-ended my car while we were driving 45 mph over a bridge into my parents' neighborhood. He hit me twice but I was moving out of his way before the second impact and he only got a glancing blow. So, the slow time helped keep me on the bridge instead of over the side which was the way he was sending me after the first impact.

The most recent time is my best example because I remember it all so clearly. I was walking my elder dog, Todd (turns 11 next month). He is a very sweet and non-confrontational dog the size of a small golden retriever (he's a duck tolling retriever but big for his breed). We were walking in the park next to my house when an idiot pulled-up in a car, opened the door and released her boyfriend's pitbull into the park without a leash, etc. It made a beeline for Todd. There was nowhere to go and no way to outrun the dog (Todd is an old boy). So, we stood waiting with me calling to the girl to get her dog. As he closed on us, things started to slow down for me but I would say not with the full effect of what I usually would get.

I tried to keep myself between the pit and Todd when it lunged around me to Todd. I grabbed at it mid-lunge and tried to pull back... it was aiming for his neck and missed since I had hold of it but still managed to snag his shoulder while I was pulling it backward and together we about yanked Todd off of his feet. It didn't have the grip it wanted but was doing that whipping, twisting thing to the skin it had snagged over the shoulder area and Todd started screaming. So, I grabbed the pit's collar and was trying to cut his air supply off by twisting his collar while pulling him off of his front feet. The girl just stood there saying that it was her boyfriend's dog and not hers and waving her arms around. I wasn't doing the collar thing right but the pit and I were in a deadlock: if I shifted to get a better hold, he would have Todd and if he shifted to get a better hold, I would have him off of Todd. Todd was really screaming now and I started pounding the pit in the head while twisting his collar with the other hand (hardly enough). Finally, he opened his jaws slightly to shift his grip and that gave me a window to fling him off of Todd and drag him to the useless girl. I turned to check Todd's shoulder after she took the dog... but, then, the idiot lost hold of the pit and it came from behind us and took Todd down with a body blow.

This was when the time slowing effect really hit me fully. My thinking got detached (someone else mentioned that too) and I got what I call a "thought-loop" where my mind picks one objective and everything else ceases to exist for me but that objective. This only happens in times of crisis and it is not a conscious choice. Everything gets very slow and there is only one objective that sort of pounds through my mind. It is hard to describe this accurately. It is sort of total focus and it only happens at the same time as the slow time experience.

My thought at this moment was that if it got hold of Todd's throat, Todd was going to die. I stepped forward and intercepted him mid-lunge and hauled him backwards away from my boy (wish I had managed that the first time!). This time it was easy because everything was going very, very slowly and I had plenty of time to intercept him. Now the one-thought shifted to one that was basically that the pit had to be taken far away from Todd. I don't remember anything else until I sort of came to a minute or so later dragging the pit across the park (I still don't understand why it didn't just try to attack me) and with the idiot screaming at me to "ma'am, please let go of the dog" and sobbing. I told her to grab the dog and then I let go and told her if it got hold of Todd again it was going to be very ugly for her dog. I glanced at the dog and he just sat looking at me sort of perplexed... it looked like a normal dog now.. it was not straining to get at Todd, etc. I still think that was very odd.

The slow-time ended when I "came to" and it was kind of a startling moment. Also hard to describe.. kind of a return to reality... everything moving at normal time, normal sounds, normal thoughts... etc.

I turned to go look for Todd and almost tripped over him as he had followed me down the park while I dragged the pit (so much for getting the pit away from Todd!). When I got home I suddenly broke out in one of the worst cases of the shakes and they lasted awhile. That always happens too.. sort of a shaking in my muscles but not shaky hands, etc. I took Todd to the vet and he was Ok considering. He lost most of the fur from that shoulder over the next week from the twisting the pit had done.

I was always brought-up to just consider this a chemical reaction in the brain.. a sort of survival trait that I happened to inherit like my "efficient" metabolism. Maybe it is linked to adrenaline? I've always suspected that because of the strength component. I mean, I'm only a little over 5 feet tall and I'm not normally freakishly strong but when this happens, I am.

On the age thing, my Dad is in his early sixties and he still has this trait. But, I have definitely found that I have to be in a real crisis now for it to happen whereas, when I was a kid, it happened alot and over very minor things.

Sorry to wander off topic, but I'm just wondering about the pitbull. Pitbulls are normally just as nice as any other dog, but they are good at being trained for dog fighting. I am wondering if maybe this dog was involved in dog fighting and when he saw your dog thought that was what he was supposed to do, only to realize it wasn't when you kept stopping him. I'm glad your dog was ok.

As far as slowed time is concerned, I don't get it much, but I have gotten it when falling (if I trip or slip on ice or something). This is good because it gives me time to think about how to fall to avoid getting too hurt. As of yet, I have never broken a bone. :D

I know it's happened a few times to me too but the only instance I can remember is a few years back when I was walking up the hallway at my place, for God knows what reason holding a screwdriver to my eye.
I tripped over and I was watching the floor come at me in slow motion.
I looked at the floor, then at the screwdriver, then at the floor again. I registered what was about to happen and threw the screwdriver really slowly away. I hit the ground AFTER the screwdriver did (which is weird coz it landed at the end of a 12 metre hallway - you'd think that would take time) and I just lay there shaking.
I couldn't get off the floor coz I didn't think my arm muscles could take it. I just laid there remembering slow motion movement. I was so scared but so in awe of what had just happened that I WANTED to remember it.
And just like you said Dragoncharmer - my Mum saw the whole thing and said I moved so fast she couldn't see me properly.

I've been trying for half an hour to find the book but...

A couple months ago I was watching CSPAN (US Cable Politics channel) Book TV and an author was talking about crisis as regards police officers in dangerous situations.

He described in detail the physiological and psychological responses to extreme stress and crisis.

These included:

- Time slows down
- Cognitive and reasoning functions are severely diminished
- Tunnel vision
- Inability to hear and process verbal information
- Adrenaline release (of course)
- Increased aggressiveness due to fight/flight response

The upshot was that these were normal, instinctual responses evolved to help us get away from or successfully defend against an enemy.

The problem, he explained, was that these responses would often cause officers to shoot suspects with abandon even when they were receiving loud, repeated orders from other officers to cease fire. Or to beat suspect, who represented no real threat, following a terminated high-speed chase. And so on...

He suggested increasing training, reducing (!) the number of officers responding to a situation (to reduce mob mentality and to induce caution) and eliminating dangerous tactics like high-speed chases in favor of tracking suspects using helicopters and then converging wherever the suspect stops.

If anyone knows the author and title of the book I'd be appreciative. I'll bet it's an interesting read.

This is weird: I have been trying to think of bad situations I have been in where time might have slowed down, but it never has for me. ( not that I can recall). Instead, I can only remember time speeding up.

For example, my father died when I was young and I was right there when it happened, but things happened superfast instead of superslow.

Maybe it has to happen TO me? ( instead of me being a bystander). If that's the case, I was attacked by a dog once, but time didn't seem fast or slow, only normal.

I don't think I have ever experienced this. Sounds very interesting.

Once while drunk at a party, I was "hopping" from a flat roof (used as a patio) to a neighbouring roof (I wanted to sit in peace and quiet and watch the cars on the street?!)
The space between rooves was only about four feet across but the alley was one storey below! I'd done this a couple of times no problem but I was chatting to someone as I went to step across ... then realised that I was stepping into fresh air! My perception of "slow time" was that I'd literally stood on nothing, unable to reverse or adjust my movement, until gravity took hold and I fell. Luckily I was so drunk I was quite relaxed when I landed on my back. No harm done but a week of aching muscles.
Funny thing is my perception of the event was an almost dispassionate realisation that I was going to fall, the inability to change my movement and an almost amused thought to myself "You bloody idiot! You're going to fall!" It almost seemed like those Roadrunner cartoons when Wile E. Coyote steps into fresh air, pauses to look at the audience, then plunges down.

I've had something similar once or twice, not so much time slowing down as a dispassionate acceptance of the situation, and despite what that police study said about the cognitive and reasoning state being adversely affected, I have felt quite sensible in these situations:

The first was as a child stepping on to an algae covered rock on a river bed and almost knowing while stepping that I'd made a grievous error of judgement and I was going to fall, almost in a slapstick "uh-oh" kind of way like the road runner reference posted earlier. Anyway I did slip spectacularly, hitting my head on the rock and falling unconscious for a few seconds (in which time I clearly remember being irritated at having to wake up, it was so comfy and peaceful listening to the trickling water and feeling nothing, but I knew it wasn't right and I had to come to).

The second time was in a car accident, seeing another car turning straight in front of me and even though time didn't seem to slow down, my mind worked extra quickly; I didn't have time to swerve, but I did have time to look at the likely angle of the impact and realise I probably wouldn't be hurt, which made me sort of mentally shrug my shoulders and treat it like a really cr*p carnival ride - completely out of my control.

I don't know whether that's healthy that in both of these situations there was this detachment in my brain - perhaps I've watched too many cartoons/movies from too young an age to really think anything can happen to me!

I've never had that happen, but I think I know why you all feel like it has:

Perhaps you become more 'aware' in emergency-like situations and that could definetly create the feeling of slow motion. I'll explain. Several times I've had things on my mind and was intensly thinking about a given topic, and noticed that after a while only 30 seconds or so had passed. So when you become more aware, time can seem to pass slower because you are left with far more memories over a given time than you would have since your brain is working much harder. Thats what I come up with.

And i guess when in a potentially threatening/dangerous situation your senses become hightend giving you the ability to react quicker.I fell off a 8ft wall backwards a few yrs ago and had the 'oh bugger im just about to fall and its going to hurt' feeling as well as the 'times slowing down' thing as well.

Anthony Clifton said:

A couple months ago I was watching CSPAN (US Cable Politics channel) Book TV and an author was talking about crisis as regards police officers in dangerous situations.

He described in detail the physiological and psychological responses to extreme stress and crisis.

These included:

- Time slows down
- Cognitive and reasoning functions are severely diminished
- Tunnel vision
- Inability to hear and process verbal information
- Adrenaline release (of course)
- Increased aggressiveness due to fight/flight response

Yeah that largely sounds familiar (other than the aggression - I was oddly calm). I have been in fights for my life but never experienced it but I was in the pub one night and suddenly everything slowed down and I knew something had gone wrong but I couldn't work out what. I remember looking across the pool table at a guy I knew and his girlfriend and they both looked very suprised. I certainly had tunnel vision and it was like I'd gone completely deaf. It certianly wasn't like my mind was racing too fast in fact it felt like the opposite - I just couldn't work out what was going on. And then I went blind.

So I was sitting there virtually deaf, completely blind and with no pain or anything to tell me what had gone wrong. I'd imagine tis the way you'd die if randomly shot with no warning - just confused with everything just shutting down. Better than going out in pain or anything but still.......

Slowly everything started coming back and my eyesight cleared and I could hear again. I was able to fill in the details - one of the bikers had decided to give us a scare by whacking a pool cue rest against the wall above our heads (not on my list of fun things to do) but as he was rat arsed he missed the wall and cracked me across the fornt of my head, blood had fountained out and then as the pressure had dropped it had run down my face and into my eyes and I'd gone blind.

I just cleaned myself up, went and got my Dad to have a look at it in case it needed stitches (he was the closest person with first aid trianing) and then slapped some ice on it to get the sweling down. It didn't really hurt and I was calm (if confused) throughout.

I'm unsure how advantageous that would be in a survival situation - it certianly wouldn't have been useful if the guy had actually intended on doing me harm as I was not setup to defend myself but it might be handy if you are in some kind of accident where for the moment you have no control over things - like a car crash. If you don't have any contorl over things it might be best if your body goes into standby while your brain process information and prepares for the next stage like a big burst of adrenalin. In my case I was aware soemthing had gone wrong but I had absolutely no information to go on so perhaps my brian decided not to do anything and then bring me out of standby when the crisis was over and resolved?

Anthony Clifton said:

...SNIP...

If anyone knows the author and title of the book I'd be appreciative. I'll bet it's an interesting read.

You're thinking of Malcom Gladwell, who writes features for the magazine The New Yorker. His new book is Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like.

SOURCE

(OT: but he's one white guy from whom the term "fear the 'fro" is truly applicable. Dude's got some HAIR.)

Another thing (maybe) that might help better understand this phenomena I mentioned in this post:

I read an article recently by Oliver Sacks (wonderful popular science writer & noted psychiatrist...do not draw too many conclusions about him from the ur-dreadul Robin Williams vehicle Awakenings ) qand one of the things he talked about was the significance (and differences) of the perception of time for people with different disorders. For instance a person with Parkinson's might think they're moving their arm to wipe their nose at a "normal" rate, but it doesn't seem to most people observing them that they're moving it at all.

The reverse with Tourette's. The world is seen at times as moving in slow-motion, the way you might see it in a car crash, even though it's all progressing in "normal-time". Tim Howard may owe some of his superhuman reflexes to this condition.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 778#435778

Coincidentally or not, Oliver Sacks also writes regularly for The New Yorker. Hope this is of some help.

lopaka said:
Anthony Clifton said:

...SNIP...

You're thinking of Malcom Gladwell, who writes features for the magazine The New Yorker. His new book is Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

If people are interested this (along wth thin slicing and the fist) are discussed here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19774

I remember once being in the back seat of the family car with Mum driving. She skidded on black ice and the car span round about 3 times before gently coming to rest against a telegraph pole.

My perception with hindsight is that everything went very slowly. I didn't think much, had the tunnel vision of staring out of the window at the telegraph pole, wasn't scared and actually enjoyed it. Mum was an ex-rally driver so I guess her confidence helped stop us from being scared.

I've experienced the slowing down thing too in emergencies.
Once it happened to me and my cousin simultaneously. We were trying to drive slowly down an ice covered mountain road when the car suddenly slid sideways pointing towards the dropoff. It then began to slide directly in the direction of the drop-off. She says she remembers me speaking to her in a calm voice, just like HAL from 2001, saying, "Now don't be afraid. We are going to slide off the mountain; but the trees will stop our fall." Somehow the car slowed to almost a halt just before the drop-off and we were able to scramble out of the car - which finally stopped with one wheel in mid-air. Then time went back to normal.

Happened to me when I was about 10. My father had some black powder rifles and kept gunpowder for them in our garage. We also had a small cannon and had cannon fuse for that. Every once in a while I was able to talk him into some July-4th style fun with the gunpowder. :twisted:

I found some bricks which were left over from the construction of our house, the kind with six or eight holes through the middle. At the time (1980 or 1981 I think), the MX Missile was a big topic in the news. So I dug a hole in the ground with and put about 8 bricks in it, and then filled in dirt around the edges. With 4 bricks on the surface and four underneath, I had 32 "MX Missile Silos", so I made a "missile" out of aluminum foil, and proposed to my dad that we launch it out of one of the silos, with a little bit of gunpowder.

To my delight he agreed! But instead of filling up ONE "silo" with gunpowder, he filled ALL of them up! :shock:

We lit the fuse, and ran to a safe location....

KA-WHOOOOOMM

this is where time slowed down for me. The bricks all flew up out of the ground and up into the air as high as the treetops. I'll never forget the sight of watching those bricks tumble over and over in slow motion. As soon as they all hit the ground again, time returned to normal. :lol:

I never did find the "missile", for all I know it's still in Low Earth Orbit. :lol:

At the time we were the only house in a new neighborhood so blowing things up in the backyard wasn't a big deal. And at the time it was still a rural area. Not so anymore. If you tried something like that nowadays in that same yard I think the SWAT team would show up!

I still laugh about that story today, although I'd never, never try to repeat that stunt. :lol:

Back