• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel Suggested / Ascribed To Explain OOPArts & Other Odd Evidence

I think I've seen a vid explaining that he young woman in the first video worded for a company (Motorola?) which made handsets for use around the factory/site where she worked. They could also be used for a shortish distance from there.

I would expect time travellers to have discreet communication implants in their ears.

Hard to believe their technology is advanced enough to travel through time yet they still need chunky phones.
Perhaps the busy time-traveller loses track of their exact time zone - the equivalent to jetlag but along another axis. After all, we've gone relatively quickly from static landlines to smartphones, it's no wonder yer hard-pressed salaryman time-traveller might not get one or two details quite right.

... On the other hand, it does look like some of them are speaking into something their holding up to their ear, although some are more convincing than others (the French one is rubbish) and I do wonder what it was they were doing, although I could be persuaded it's all a matter of misperception and wishful thinking based on current experience and false interpretation :)

In many, if not most, of the cellphone time traveller shots I've seen, the person with a hand to his / her ear is doing something obvious for the time but increasingly rare nowadays - simply chatting with the person(s) around him / her.

Another thing to bear in mind is that such sensationalized photos are all too often of groups in the process of doing something (e.g., the crowd milling around outside a theater in the Chaplin premiere photo). Still photos of such scenes are like a frame excerpted from a film - they provide little or none of the dynamic context for posture, expression, etc.

The factor that bothers me most is the apparent lack of knowledge / familiarity concerning fashions, lifestyles, and apparatus from the past - even from past years / decades in the observer's own lifespan. Modern lifestyles have so swamped folks' senses with the 'now' they can't see anything without filtering it through current factors and features. A related problem - particularly among younger people - is the conceit that what (little ... ) they know / see in the present was never known / seen in earlier eras.

The girl leaving the church on one of the videos is, very likely, singing. For some people, bring their hands to one ear when they sing is an instinctive gesture.

It's not just instinctive - it's the best way to self-monitor your voice's pitch in spite of any / all other voices around you.

I won't be the only one here old enough to recall that when mobiles were first a thing, and you saw some nutter walking down the street, holding something to their ear and talking self consciously to themselves, you stared them out..

None of the people round that woman in the film are even reacting. Even after you knew what they were doing, there was still a good year or so of staring at people 'walking along talking to themselves' but holding a small thing to their ear, as if they were nuts. Just to annoy them. Everyone round her would be reacting.

My husband is deaf as a post and without a hearing aid, he'd do that thing of cupping his hand round his 'bad' ear.

Re. the famous US photo, I'm a bit of a textile/clothing historian in my other incarnation, and must admit when I saw that photo I also thought "But hang on, T shirts did exist!" although I couldn't give you chapter and verse on it...

I cup my good ear. The 'bad' one is pretty much shot.
He's probably not given up on it yet!

He lost his hearing only in the past few years and is still adapting to it, I guess! Some of those folks' body language in the footage there, reminded me of some of his, though!

Oh my God - I spotted an out of place mobile in a photo!

Here's a pic taken of some hippies on their way to Woodstock. The guy in the red shirt is clearly chatting away on what looks like a pre-smart mobile - maybe a Motorola Razr? Must be the Mandela Effect...

15cylas.png

Image Source: http://all-that-is-interesting.com/hippie-photos#22

The link leads to a slideshow within which the cited photo appears. Apparently the photo was once directly link-able, but isn't any longer. In any case, here's the photo ...

hippie-peace-signs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
technically they were, in limos and other executive/luxury cars from the
60s i believe, powered by the car battery, allowing the driver to speak to the occupants in the back
no technically they were not

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...New-It-Gift-For-the-Holiday-Season-180953345/

The answer came 1951, when two companies teamed up to begin researching a new idea: a small, portable radio. Texas Instruments supplied the transistors to Idea Inc., who designed, produced, and—three years later—finally debuted the Regency TR-1 in November 1954, just in time for the holiday-shopping season. In the collections at the American History Museum resides one of the original Regency models, donated in 1984 by Dr. Willis Adcock, a member of Texas Instruments’ original transistor team, for a 1986 exhibition on microelectronics. Only a few inches tall and encased in red plastic, the radio originally retailed for $50—about $400 today.

Notice the earphone accessory.
Regency-advert-1.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

My Brother in Law had a mobile phone similar to this early 1980s Nokia mobile phones, except his was a Motorola...

He used to have to travel to remote outback places for his work and it wasn't unusual to see him in the Middle of Nowhere, perched on his tippy toes on top of his ute (pick up truck) with the phone aerial extended up as high as he could get it trying to get clearer reception in places with little reception... made for a rather weird sight to see....

Took many hours to recharge and the benefit of this particular type was that you could also plug it into the car to recharge it as you were driving..... He still reckons they worked better then than most of the mobiles of today.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/motorola-dynatac-iphone-5-forty-1806297 (picture gallery of old mobiles)

This is the first Nokia of it's type, early 1980s....

nokia 1980.jpeg

Once again, the Daily Mail gets hold of the wrong end of the stck and starts beating about the bush with it....

Is this 1930s painting proof of time travel? Native American appears to hold a SMARTPHONE - even though it was painted seven decades before they were invented

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...painting-proof-time-travel.html#ixzz4ri9dGw84
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A native American appears to stare at a smartphone in a mural of colonial America that dates to 1937 sparking theories it could be proof of time travel.

This baffling painting, Mr. Pynchon and the Settling of Springfield, shows a man in the foreground holding 21st century technology - yet it depicts a scene from the 17th century.

The intriguing figure has feathers in his hair and is wearing a white loin clothe - but is holding the mystery object just like modern people hold smartphones.

438CEAB500000578-0-image-a-3_1503667914988.jpg

This 17th century painting, Mr. Pynchon and the Settling of Springfield, shows a man in the foreground holding what appears to be a smartphone

THE MYSTERY OBJECT
This 17th century painting, Mr. Pynchon and the Settling of Springfield, shows a man in the foreground holding what appears to be a smartphone.

The painting itself pre-dates the iPhone by nearly seven decades.

The artist, Romano, who died in 1982, did not make any specific comments about this intriguing figure.

Some experts say it could be an iron blade.

Others say the man is holding a religious texts.

Historian Daniel Brown believes the mystery object is in fact a mirror - which was used widely after it was introduced in the 17th century.

However, Dr Bruchac said it was more likely to be an iron blade, commenting that the painting was of a 'romanticized artistic genre' which made it hard to tell.

Although some believe this could be a sign that people could travel back in time historian Daniel Brown believes the mystery object is in fact a mirror - which was used widely after it was introduced in the 17th century.

438CEAB500000578-0-image-m-7_1503669077463.jpg

The intriguing figure has feathers in his hair and is wearing a white loin clothe - but is holding the mystery object just like modern people hold smartphone.
The man has feathers in his hair and appears to be wearing a white loin clothe - but is holding an object that looks strikingly like a smartphone (stock image)

'To put it in the kindliest possible terms, Romano's so-called 'abstract' aesthetic was willfully ambiguous,' Dr Crown told Motherboard.

At the time, Americans were intrigued by the idea of the noble savage.

'Given the scene's focus on the founding of Springfield, Romano, in reductive fashion, was probably trying to capture the introduction of modernity into a curious but technologically stunted community, which was instantly bewitched by Pynchon's treasure trove of shiny objects', he said.

Another possibility is that the man is holding a religious texts.

Dr Crown believes it could be a one of the gospels.

'These did exist at the time and were roughly the same rectangular shape', he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...painting-proof-time-travel.html#ixzz4ri9A2Nz8

Of course there are the old stories of traders ripping off Native American tribes of their valuables in exchange for beads and mirrors. This depicts a trader. The subject is probably looking into a mirror.
Of course this doesn't appeal to people who wish to lead more dramatic lives and uncover many fascinating mysteries and conspiracies* in their day to day lives.

*aka Bollocks.

A native American appears to stare at a smartphone in a mural of colonial America that dates to 1937 sparking theories it could be proof of time travel.
'appears to be'= interesting phrase to use here. It can 'appear' to be anything but one thing it will not be is a smartphone!

If it is then maybe the chap with his hands tied is asking for the lottery results;)

The Mail clearly isn't impressed or is withholding comment on the Witch flying away on her broomstick. Clearly documented evidence of supernatural travel right there.

I won't be the only one here old enough to recall that when mobiles were first a thing, and you saw some nutter walking down the street, holding something to their ear and talking self consciously to themselves, you stared them out..

Bit younger but I still do this with hands-free stuff, I keep jumping because I'll be walking near someone and they just starting chatting to no one. In a society without mobile phones that kind of behaviour would be very noticable, also the people in these photos are almost always clearly in a group - were they all time travellers? Were the chrononormal people just not interested?

I instinctively rub my right ear if I'm embarassed and awkward, usually when someone is taking my photo. I also have long hair. Wouldn't take much for me to be outed as a time traveller...

Back