• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel Suggested / Ascribed To Explain OOPArts & Other Odd Evidence

MrSnowman said:
What's interesting is that some scientists might see this as proof that time travel is indeed possible.

And so after seeing it, they ultimately develop time travel technology, which enables the woman to go into the past to be caught on camera.

Oh now hold on

I love this kind of thinking.

Please forgive this minor segway......I was watching a film recently, Chosen Survivors. Absolutely awful film with some interesting premises relating to Nuclear Apocalypse. At certain points it got rather upsetting for obvious reasons (No world left, humanity destroyed by foolishness, etc.). I turned to my BF and said, "Someday we're going to thank all these Nuclear Scare films for the fact that nothing like this ever happens because the utter horror of it is so embedded in the human consciousness it'll become virtually impossible". Just some late night movie watching babble, but your statement about what's going on in this video made me think of it.

And I think it looks as if this woman is just fiddling with her collar/being shy when she realizes she is in view of filming cameras.

sherbetbizarre said:

Aha! I like that. My guess is that it probably is a man dressed as a woman, and probably a much slimmer man too. Under the heavy clothing are props of some sort and the only way to hide them and not stand out too much was to use womens clothing and a hat. The movie is called The Circus afterall. Although I haven't seen it... Maybe the person wasn't deaf but they were using / testing the hearing device as an amplifier on set to recieve instructions of some sort for using the props? Hmm.

MsQkxyz said:
Aha! I like that. My guess is that it probably is a man dressed as a woman, and probably a much slimmer man too. Under the heavy clothing are props of some sort and the only way to hide them and not stand out too much was to use womens clothing and a hat. The movie is called The Circus afterall. Although I haven't seen it... Maybe the person wasn't deaf but they were using / testing the hearing device as an amplifier on set to recieve instructions of some sort for using the props? Hmm.

Except that it's not a clip from the film, it's a piece of footage from outside the cinema at the film's premier.

Time traveller spotted at Chaplin premiere?

I'm not sure if there's a thread for apparent anachronisms. From Yahoo:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/57334/time-traveller-spotted-at-chaplin-premiere.html

Time traveller spotted at Chaplin premiere?

Thu Oct 28 11:36AM by Martin Howden

Has the first real evidence of time travelling been found? A video on YouTube seems to think so.

On the DVD extras for Charlie Chaplin's 'The Circus', a woman is spotted in the background at the movie's premiere in 1928 and appears to be talking on a mobile phone. Stunned by what he saw, Irish filmmaker George Clarke consulted experts on his find, and has since posted it on YouTube. He claims that the video has not been tampered with in any way.

The footage does seem to show a lady nattering on a mobile phone, but if you thought your phone reception was bad at normal times, we hate to think what it would have been like in the ‘20s.

Cynics have scoffed at the footage, asking, if you were a time traveller, would you openly show off the amazing gadget? Others have asked why you would go to a Chaplin premiere if you could go back to any point in time?

Clarke replied, "Who says the person in question went back to see the Chaplin premiere? How about, the person went back to an earlier period and got stuck there or was in town doing something else and just happened to stroll on by."

Have a look and see for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3qesTjOE8

I'm more intrigued by the mention of 'experts' being consulted. Ziggy perhaps?

That's what I thought it was. She's talking to her family (probably the old man) not the 'phone'. The aid is helping her to hear what they say.

Dr_Baltar said:
MsQkxyz said:

Except that it's not a clip from the film, it's a piece of footage from outside the cinema at the film's premier.

Ah ok, well whilst not buying into the time traveller theory, I take all of what I said back then :)
Perhaps she thought someone was walking next to her that she was talking to? The hand holding her hearing aid obscured her vision. She wonders why the other person hasn't spoken for a while, stops, turns, looks For them coincidently in the direction of the camera & walks away feeling embarressed muttering to herself about how silly she is.
My bf did that to me 3 times last night - stopped to look at something whilst I was chatting away thinking he was right behind me...

Proof of time travel ?

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11646933

A Belfast film-maker has posted a video on the internet showing what he says could be evidence of time travelling.

George Clarke from east Belfast has been puzzled for more than a year by a scene in a film which appears to show a woman talking on a mobile phone.

The unusual thing is that the movie was made by Charlie Chaplin in 1928 - long before mobile phones were invented.

In the eight days since George posted the clip on Youtube - more than 1.5m people have viewed the video online.

Even the US talk show host Jay Leno created his own spoof version.

George was checking the extras on a Chaplin DVD box-set and began watching a clip of the 1928 Hollywood premiere of The Circus.

"As I sat back to watch it I realised in the first 30 seconds there's A lady strolling by with her hand up to her ear which looked quite familiar in today's society.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
A mystery like this one, bottom line I don't think we're ever going to find out”
End Quote
George Clarke
"So I wound it back and watched it again, zoomed it in and slowed it down and got other people in to check it out.

"Everybody had the same reaction - it looks like she's talking on a mobile phone."

He has since showed the clip to a number of people, including the audience of a Belfast film festival.

He said no-one has been able to provide an explanation.

Since posting it on Youtube it has had more that 1.5m views and provoked 10,000 comments.

"A mystery like this one, bottom line I don't think we're ever going to find out," George said.

"My initial reaction was that's a mobile phone, they weren't around then, my only explanation - and I'm pretty open-minded about the sci-fi element of things - it was kind of like wow that's somebody that's went back in

Thank you for that Pietro.

Well I have looked and looked at this and don't know what to make of it. could it be a fake? I Think most likely simulacra.

Oh, look! Here is another one.
Let's play spot the time traveller.
FW_TIMETRAVELHIPSTER.jpg

gman72 said:
Oh, look! Here is another one.
Let's play spot the time traveller.
FW_TIMETRAVELHIPSTER.jpg

Yeah, I looked at that and read the other thread.
I don't think it's Photoshopped, and I don't think there's anything anachronistic about it.
He looks like a university type to me. The sunglasses could in fact be welding goggles or driving goggles. His hairstyle and clothing are not out of place for the time, it's just that he is out of place in that crowd of less fashionably dressed people.

Mythopoeika said:
... Yeah, I looked at that and read the other thread.
I don't think it's Photoshopped, and I don't think there's anything anachronistic about it.
He looks like a university type to me. The sunglasses could in fact be welding goggles or driving goggles. His hairstyle and clothing are not out of place for the time, it's just that he is out of place in that crowd of less fashionably dressed people.

I agree ...

That style of eyeglass side protectors (either as integrated components or detachable accessories) date back earlier than the alleged 1941 timeframe for that photo. They were a common feature on sunglasses for high-glare conditions (mountaineers; sailors) and on safety glasses (including welder's goggles).

Mass market sunglasses date back to the late 1920's in the USA, and specialty sets go back even farther.

Goggles (which at the time might just be special-duty eyeglasses) were commonly used by drivers of open automobiles and motorcycles in the early 20th century.

This young man is wearing three layers of clothing - a sweatshirt or jersey top (visible atop his left shoulder); a threadbare varsity jersey or pullover (notice the tear on the right chest area; looks like a University of Michigan 'M'); and a bulky knit sweater.

I get the impression he's a college kid who was out driving around in his open car or on his motorcycle and stopped to check out whatever it is the crowd is looking at.

As Stu said/wrote... this photo has its own thread, and has been flogged to death. Can we move on please? 8)

Ouch!! Sorry, Coaly, to offend but not everyone has flogged the time travelling hipster to death. Although he had his own thread of which i was not aware i feel that discussing him here is hardly the wrong place either.
Perhaps, Coaly, you are keen to mute this line of conversation because you are in fact the masculine, time travelling lady in the Chaplin video and would prefer it if your escapades and those of your fellow travellers in time were not overly discussed.

McAvennie_ said:
On the out of place time travellers theme I remember seeing a black and white clip in a documentary about a tornado or earthquake that killed a heckload of schoolkids sometime in the 60s or 70s in the US and in one scene a still image shows a kid wearing what, to me, was 99% a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles t-shirt. Impossible as they were not conceived until the 80s.

That's interesting. Would it have been a clip from Aberfan?
If so, I guess the news clip is online somewhere.
Horrible
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_ ... ected=true :(

I remember my father telling me about this terrible disaster when i was a child in the 70's during a family holiday to Wales. Awful... all those poor kids.

Maybe she looks like she's holding something because she has arthritis , all she's doing is hiding her face from the camera. She is wearing a heavy coat on a bright day in Los Angeles:- possibly she's not quite in full possession of all her marbles and is talking to herself. Maybe it is a man, who doesn't want his wife discovering his little secret.

This has been at the back of my mind since I first saw it. I just had the chance to look at it again. Every time I see it it just looks more genuine - the way the woman is dressed - everything.
If it is a fake it is very good. I remember watching loads of Laurel & Hardy films when I was growing up - they must have been made in the 20's or 30's and there was often an old 'battleaxe' character looking exactly like this.
A Hearing aid is something I considered, but I am pretty certain that in the 1920's there would not have been the battery technology to make possible something so small, light and apparently portable.
Maybe the lady's larger frame is attribulable to batteries secreted under her coat to power this device? :shock:

jeff544 said:
A Hearing aid is something I considered, but I am pretty certain that in the 1920's there would not have been the battery technology to make possible something so small, light and apparently portable.

Did you not read sherbetbizarre's link to the Siemens hearing aid on page 2 of this thread? It states quite clearly that it's a pocket device. Zinc carbon batteries much like the ones we use today have been around since the late 19th century.

Dr_Baltar said:
Did you not read sherbetbizarre's link to the Siemens hearing aid on page 2 of this thread? It states quite clearly that it's a pocket device. Zinc carbon batteries much like the ones we use today have been around since the late 19th century.

No, I hadn't - that was before the thread was merged and I am sorry to say I never looked back.

Yes, that is a very good point and a very likely explanation. 8)

Which is good detective work and certainly a possible explanation, I suppose, though a) Wouldn't one normally keep such a device in a purse or coat until there was actually someone talking to you? I don't know that anyone would walk around just holding the device up to the side of his/her head, and b} the person certainly appears to be talking or at least moving his/her mouth.

I would agree that 'time traveller' is among the least plausible explanations, but just saying 'well they had portable, battery-operated hearing aids back then, so it's solved' really doesn't go very far in explaining what we're seeing in the clip.

jeff544 said:
Yes, that is a very good point and a very likely explanation. 8)

Certainly as likely as many of the explanations.

Oh...except for that time traveller with a mobile phone one. ;)

Back