• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs: Seen One? Personal UFO Sightings (IHTM; Miscellaneous)

Looks like a Rutan. Perhaps the Sontarans are not far behind.
https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Rutans
Hang on @eburacum, you might be onto something:

The Rutan Host, more commonly referred to as simply the Rutans, are green amphibious creatures that have the ability to change their appearance at will. They come from the planet Ruta III and are lead by the Rutan Queen. They serve as the main antagonists of the Doctor Who episode Horror of Fang Rock.

"Horror of Fang Rock is the first serial of the 15th season of the British science fiction televisionseries Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in four weekly parts on BBC1 from 3 to 24 September 1977."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_of_Fang_Rock

Date of the Newmill green haze encounter:

"On the evening of Saturday, September 17, 1977, which was a calm and clear night..."

https://www.paranormalcatalog.net/ufos/the-newmill-green-blob-ufo?utm_content=cmp-true

For those of us who can remember the 1970s know only too well there were only three tv channels and popular shows like Doctor Who pulled in huge audiences:

1977309.63m

https://guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php

It is highly likely that a young couple like Caroline and her partner will have watched Dr Who or at least seen a trailer. Her is a clip:

So we are faced with another Fortean coincidence that the Dr Who monster of the week at the time of the Newmill encounter bears an uncanny resemblance to what Caroline Bond describes. I think I know what Dr David Clarke and Jenny Randles would make of all this, especially once they discovered the following:

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.12.17.png

So the third episode featuring the green blob Rutans was broadcast on the the 17th September 1977, the very same evening that Caroline reports seeing her green blob

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.18.52.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6p/1977/09/17

When Caroline went outside it was dark enough to see the stars so it had to be after:

19:32

Saturday 17 September 1977 (BST)
Sunset in Penzance, UK

Source: sunset Penzance 17 september 1977

Therefore had Caroline watched the Dr Who green blob Rutans on BBC1 earlier that evening before heading out to her moped after dark and seeing her own green blob? Not saying she didn't see something unusual and that she wasn't able to explain but was her perception of what she saw unconsciously affected by those Dr Who Rutans...? This image in particular reminds me of what Caroline describes manoeuvring along the walls of her barn:

Horror-of-Fang-Rock-Rutan.jpeg

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2...hy-doctor-who-needs-to-bring-back-the-rutans/

Last edited:
Hang on @eburacum, you might be onto something:

The Rutan Host, more commonly referred to as simply the Rutans, are green amphibious creatures that have the ability to change their appearance at will. They come from the planet Ruta III and are lead by the Rutan Queen. They serve as the main antagonists of the Doctor Who episode Horror of Fang Rock.

"Horror of Fang Rock is the first serial of the 15th season of the British science fiction televisionseries Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in four weekly parts on BBC1 from 3 to 24 September 1977."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_of_Fang_Rock

Date of the Newmill green haze encounter:

"On the evening of Saturday, September 17, 1977, which was a calm and clear night..."

https://www.paranormalcatalog.net/ufos/the-newmill-green-blob-ufo?utm_content=cmp-true

For those of us who can remember the 1970s know only too well there were only three tv channels and popular shows like Doctor Who pulled in huge audiences:

1977309.63m

https://guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php

It is highly likely that a young couple like Caroline and her partner will have watched Dr Who or at least seen a trailer. Her is a clip:

So we are faced with another Fortean coincidence that the Dr Who monster of the week at the time of the Newmill encounter bears an uncanny resemblance to what Caroline Bond describes. I think I know what Dr David Clarke and Jenny Randles would make of all this, especially once they discovered the following:

View attachment 75699

So the third episode featuring the green blob Rutans was broadcast on the the 17th September 1977, the very same evening that Caroline reports seeing her green blob

View attachment 75700

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6p/1977/09/17

When Caroline went outside it was dark enough to see the stars so it had to be after:

19:32

Saturday 17 September 1977 (BST)
Sunset in Penzance, UK

Source: sunset Penzance 17 september 1977

Therefore had Caroline watched the Dr Who green blob Rutans on BBC1 earlier that evening before heading out to her moped after dark and seeing her own green blob? Not saying she didn't see something unusual and that she wasn't able to explain but was her perception of what she saw unconsciously affected by those Dr Who Rutans...? This image in particular reminds me of what Caroline describes manoeuvring along the walls of her barn:

View attachment 75701

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2...hy-doctor-who-needs-to-bring-back-the-rutans/

Brilliant work.

Yes, she saw the blob at 9.30, about 3 hours after possibly watching another green blob on the television (I checked the plot of the episode and part 3 does actually feature a glowing green blob, climbing up the outside of the lighthouse).

The whole experience has a slightly dreamlike quality to it, and much like dreams incorporates material taken in before 'sleep'.

Brilliant work.

Yes, she saw the blob at 9.30, about 3 hours after possibly watching another green blob on the television (I checked the plot of the episode and part 3 does actually feature a glowing green blob, climbing up the outside of the lighthouse).

The whole experience has a slightly dreamlike quality to it, and much like dreams incorporates material taken in before 'sleep'.
Cheers. I feel it is too much of a coincidence not to have some bearing on the case but I fear too much time has passed to ever find out the answer (and it would rely on Caroline remembering and/or admitting to having watched Dr Who that evening).

Cheers. I feel it is too much of a coincidence not to have some bearing on the case but I fear too much time has passed to ever find out the answer (and it would rely on Caroline remembering and/or admitting to having watched Dr Who that evening).
It sometimes seems in high strangeness encounters that the encountered entity is in some way taking its appearance from the mind of the witness. I'm not saying that it's a hallucination, I think non-human entities exist. I remember a friend, years ago, who told me that when she was a girl she came running downstairs at Easter to look for Easter eggs her parents had hidden around the house - and encountered something evil that looked like a malevolent rabbit-thing. It was like it had taken its appearance from what was uppermost in her mind. The same kind of thing may have occurred here, with the Dr. Who episode and the strange sighting afterwards.

It sometimes seems in high strangeness encounters that the encountered entity is in some way taking its appearance from the mind of the witness. I'm not saying that it's a hallucination, I think non-human entities exist. I remember a friend, years ago, who told me that when she was a girl she came running downstairs at Easter to look for Easter eggs her parents had hidden around the house - and encountered something evil that looked like a malevolent rabbit-thing. It was like it had taken its appearance from what was uppermost in her mind. The same kind of thing may have occurred here, with the Dr. Who episode and the strange sighting afterwards.
I would buy into that.

I felt a little deflated when I discovered the Dr Who connection as I know that skeptics will pounce on that to say hoax/hallucination/misidentification and another intriguing UFO case bites the dust. But your theory chimes with my personal belief in an 'intelligent other' that has interacted with humanity for millennia but never showing its true nature. It might also explain why people in Britain used to see large 'phantom' black dogs roaming the countryside but now see large 'phantom' black cats, perhaps because of a shift in our collective consciousness i.e. the black dogs were rather masculine whereas the cats more feminine in the same way that society has changed (epic straw-clutching there...)

I would buy into that.

I felt a little deflated when I discovered the Dr Who connection as I know that skeptics will pounce on that to say hoax/hallucination/misidentification and another intriguing UFO case bites the dust. But your theory chimes with my personal belief in an 'intelligent other' that has interacted with humanity for millennia but never showing its true nature. It might also explain why people in Britain used to see large 'phantom' black dogs roaming the countryside but now see large 'phantom' black cats, perhaps because of a shift in our collective consciousness i.e. the black dogs were rather masculine whereas the cats more feminine in the same way that society has changed (epic straw-clutching there...)

I don't know about it being as simple as a hoax or misidentification - even with the Dr Who link. A hoax on these terms would be pretty strange, after all.

I think these experiences may point towards something outside our current understanding either of the physical world or our own minds. What would you misidentify that could give anything close to the effects described, other than some as yet undescribed physical phenomenon? I'm not sure about a straight hallucination either, as Caroline's partner also saw it - you have to suppose that such hallucinations can somehow be communicated to or shared with others.

My first UFO sighting was when I was with my mom driving home a night when I was about 11 years old.

I know it was real because the car in front of us almost came to a stop to look also.

The UFO was a fluorescent white rectangle with windows.

What I have never understood with the brightness of the white light, the light never make the surrounding area brighter.

It’s like the light can’t escape the UFO producing it.

Really bizarre !

The UFO was a fluorescent white rectangle with windows.

What I have never understood with the brightness of the white light, the light never make the surrounding area brighter.

I have a recollection of this sort of light several times being mentioned in UFO reports of the past: a 'fluorescent' appearance, doesn't illuminate anything, often rather soft or fuzzy edges.

I have a recollection of this sort of light several times being mentioned in UFO reports of the past: a 'fluorescent' appearance, doesn't illuminate anything, often rather soft or fuzzy edges.
This is exactly how I perceive lighting in dreams, particularly lucid dreams. I wonder if there's something atmospheric going on that can throw the human brain into an almost 'lucid dreaming' frame of mind? Which could explain why these things seem drawn from recent films/TV etc, and also why any perceived entities behave in such weird ways - almost like dreams.

Couldn't it?

This is exactly how I perceive lighting in dreams, particularly lucid dreams. I wonder if there's something atmospheric going on that can throw the human brain into an almost 'lucid dreaming' frame of mind? Which could explain why these things seem drawn from recent films/TV etc, and also why any perceived entities behave in such weird ways - almost like dreams.

Couldn't it?

This is an interesting point.

I've always thought UFO sightings, and entity sightings in particular, often have both the narrative and visual logic of dreams - as if the witness (or indeed witnesses) was dreaming but awake.

I remembered one of the UFO cases matching that description in terms of the quality of light. This was the Monon RR case near Kirklin, Indiana in 1958, where several objects were seen over a prolonged period of time by a train crew:

“They flew over us one after the other – big, round white things that looked about the colour of fluorescent lights, kind of fuzzy around the edges. They didn’t glare and they didn’t light up things as they went over"

Maybe a gravitational force field surrounding the UFO will not let the light expand out ?

No, that wouldn't work. If gravity was strong enough to prevent light from escaping the object, then it would look black. That is how black holes work.

This problem with 'non-illuminating light' is a familiar one to anyone involved in 3D rendering and simulation. You can create an object with intrinsic emission qualities; that is to say it would appear bright in the render. But unless you also render the object as a light source, it will not illuminate the surrounding area. In a situation where the object looks bright, but is not illuminating its surroundings, that is indicative of a bad render; someone has made a simulated object but has forgotten to add all the correct lighting effects.

This suggests to me that the object you are looking at is not real- it is a simulation, either an external one which has somehow been projected directly into the eye-brain system, or it is an internal simulation, perhaps created by your own mind in an attempt to make sense of puzzling data. This is not necessarily a hallucination, but might be more accurately interpreted as a misinterpretation of the available data.

I keep on harping on about this, but the most likely common explanation for most UFOs and UAPs is misinterpretation of data, caused by unclear stimuli - this is a very open-ended explanation, because the data being misinterpreted can have an almost infinite number of causes. And the most important factor in the equation is the human perception system - which is maybe 90% subjective and therefore dependent on the observer's state of mind.

Perhaps, on the other hand, some alien or extradimensional faction or entity can project images directly into the eye-brain system - this may be possible, especially if we assume arbitrarily-advanced technology. But this is not the most parsimonious explanation.

No, that wouldn't work. If gravity was strong enough to prevent light from escaping the object, then it would look black. That is how black holes work.

This problem with 'non-illuminating light' is a familiar one to anyone involved in 3D rendering and simulation. You can create an object with intrinsic emission qualities; that is to say it would appear bright in the render. But unless you also render the object as a light source, it will not illuminate the surrounding area. In a situation where the object looks bright, but is not illuminating its surroundings, that is indicative of a bad render; someone has made a simulated object but has forgotten to add all the correct lighting effects.

This suggests to me that the object you are looking at is not real- it is a simulation, either an external one which has somehow been projected directly into the eye-brain system, or it is an internal simulation, perhaps created by your own mind in an attempt to make sense of puzzling data. This is not necessarily a hallucination, but might be more accurately interpreted as a misinterpretation of the available data.

I keep on harping on about this, but the most likely common explanation for most UFOs and UAPs is misinterpretation of data, caused by unclear stimuli - this is a very open-ended explanation, because the data being misinterpreted can have an almost infinite number of causes. And the most important factor in the equation is the human perception system - which is maybe 90% subjective and therefore dependent on the observer's state of mind.

Perhaps, on the other hand, some alien or extradimensional faction or entity can project images directly into the eye-brain system - this may be possible, especially if we assume arbitrarily-advanced technology. But this is not the most parsimonious explanation.
What we do know in the UK at least is that the closer sightings of metallic craft ended with the (first) Cold War and therefore you can make a strong argument for misinterpreted NATO aircraft. For example, back in the 1990s quite by chance I was driving past Slapton in Devon when two US Navy F-14 Tomcat fighters drifted in towards the coastline at very low altitude, did a sharp turn and then accelerated away. Later on I found out this was a part of tribute to the hundreds of US soldiers who died during D-Day rehearsals (there is a memorial on the beach). However, If I had observed those planes under in low light under poor conditions and not known about the history of Slapton then I could easily interpreted my sighting as one or two metallic objects that approached me at low level and then suddenly accelerated away to the horizon, and how many UFO reports does that remind you of...?

This is an interesting point.

I've always thought UFO sightings, and entity sightings in particular, often have both the narrative and visual logic of dreams - as if the witness (or indeed witnesses) was dreaming but awake.
Does seem to be the case, although there could be an element of the phenomena that induces this dream-like state

Indeed - haven't people looked into the effects of electromagnetic fields on the brain in connection with this?
One of my favourite cases local to where i have lived was back in the 1950s and involved a milk tanker driver parked up at the former RAF Winkleigh airfield. It was at daybreak when he saw what looked like submarine hovering at the end of the runway. He went to investigate but the object emitted some sort of force field that prevented him from getting too close. The object then silently lifted up into the sky and shot away "to the horizon' (see above!). He didn't tell anyone but his wife until he eventually confided in someone years later. Whatever he saw - and assuming it wasn't an actual dream - It does seem to have a dreamlike feel to it.

One of my favourite cases local to where i have lived was back in the 1950s and involved a milk tanker driver parked up at the former RAF Winkleigh airfield. It was at daybreak when he saw what looked like submarine hovering at the end of the runway. He went to investigate but the object emitted some sort of force field that prevented him from getting too close. The object then silently lifted up into the sky and shot away "to the horizon' (see above!). He didn't tell anyone but his wife until he eventually confided in someone years later. Whatever he saw - and assuming it wasn't an actual dream - It does seem to have a dreamlike feel to it.

A fascinating-sounding case and I agree quite dreamlike.

You might have put this one down to a half-waking misperception of an aircraft but from what I can see online, it took place in 1958 well after the airfield was on C&M only.

It seems the witness also claimed at least one other person saw it. I wonder if this was ever looked into.

A fascinating-sounding case and I agree quite dreamlike.

You might have put this one down to a half-waking misperception of an aircraft but from what I can see online, it took place in 1958 well after the airfield was on C&M only.

It seems the witness also claimed at least one other person saw it. I wonder if this was ever looked into.
Was investigated by Gloria Dixon of BUFORA

BUFORA: MYTHS, RUMOURS AND UFOS INVESTIGATIONS –Gloria Heather Dixon

Reported to BUFORA* some nine years after the event, it was re-examined by Gloria Heather Dixon in her document ‘Myths, Rumours and UFOS: Investigations – Summer 2009’:

‘In early May 1957, the witness, a long distance tanker driver from Yeovil, Somerset had a very unusual sighting and experience. He describes the incident in the following way:

“On the morning in question, it was fine, dry and a good light. I pulled on to the perimeter track at about 04.50 at Winkleigh Aerodrome, North Devon, a disused wartime Aerodrome, the idea being to have my flask of coffee.

After some few minutes, I noticed what appeared to be a ‘submarine’ on the end of the runway. My first thought was how did it get up there. Also, it looked very new. I sat and watched for some minutes and then thought I would take a closer look and got out of the cab and walked towards it. After getting to within some two hundred yards, it was impossible to go any further towards it. Just like walking into a ‘cushion’.
This was the very first intimation of anything out of the ordinary. Then this thing went straight up like an elevator for about 1200 ft and then went off towards the North Devon Coast. The speed was terrific. There was never any noise of any sort. There were no windows, no exhaust, no sort of movement that I could see. Possibly the tail fins were just a little more fluorescent when in motion. No green men…nothing. Please, I am not a crank, just a lorry driver. There were many I believe who saw this in the air. One other saw it on the ground. I would not have come forward either, but my wife suggested I tell you of my one and only experience.

I make no claims as to its identity.”

The witness describes the object as solid and a fluorescent blue metallic colour, almost submarine shaped apart from tail fins. It appeared to hover and slightly change in brightness. He describes its size as the length of an airliner (of that time) and height of 28-30 feet, and was only 200 yards from him when he first saw it. He goes on to describe how the object disappeared from view when it went straight up vertically and then northwest until lost to sight. He remembers the weather conditions that morning as being warm and dry with a clear sky and light breeze. The BUFORA investigator of the time was John Cleary-Baker and he comments in his evaluation that:

“The narrative has a ring of truth and is a most fascinating one. I think it deserves careful study. It is perhaps one of the most significant BUFORA has received for a long time and it is a pity nine years had to elapse before the story was told.”

Unfortunately the link I had for this is broken, will try to find it.

Great stuff.

Just extracting the relevant bit for reference here:

Screenshot_20240419-105100_Drive.jpg

Looks like there was an article published in May 1970 issue of the magazine Pegasus:

Screenshot_20240419-105614_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
It's a single witness sighting reported nine years after the fact, but it pretty much has everything short of an entity report in terms of what defined the UFO experience in the late 50s-60s (the "force field", physical traces, the witnesses' watch was 20 minutes slow).

The well-written, articulate clarity of the witnesses' narrative is, to me, suspicious, but clearly Toft at least was able to verify Mr J. P. was who he said he was.

It's a single witness sighting reported nine years after the fact, but it pretty much has everything short of an entity report in terms of what defined the UFO experience in the late 50s-60s (the "force field", physical traces, the witnesses' watch was 20 minutes slow).

The well-written, articulate clarity of the witnesses' narrative is, to me, suspicious, but clearly Toft at least was able to verify Mr J. P. was who he said he was.
That luminescence is a major clue to all of this. There was a case that Jenny Randles rated highly in which multiple motorists witnessed a luminous green melon-shaped object descend into a woodland (iirc) and then a T-shaped doorway was sen to open. It was investigated by the MoD and the primary witness reported that the man from the Ministry was only interested in the door opening, which sort of suggests the MoD were familiar with unexplained luminescent plasmas or suchlike? I will dig it out.

I agree why some UFOs luminescence could be the clue that unlocks everything.

Going back to my high school chemistry, some kind of high energy can make certain things ionize giving off light.

It is obvious that UFOs can produce high energy levels.

In the past I saw a UFO, not particularly close to me, but the outside colors red and green would explode outwards and then immediately implode inward and repeat over and over again.

Also, I have not figured out why UFO light does not make the surrounding area any brighter.

Also, I have not figured out why UFO light does not make the surrounding area any brighter.
Just theorising, but some part of that light might be blacklight, i.e. UV-A light. This does not produce much light in the visible light spectrum.

@BS3

Here e go, a different source though:

http://www.ignaciodarnaude.com/avistamientos_ovnis/Uriondo,UFOs Type-1,1950-1971,Argentina-2,FSR,London.pdf

Scroll down to 'Reader's Reports'

When I visited the site with my school in 1979 the airfield had become a factory for making airport fire engines which were tested on the old runway

Not offering this as anything other than another Fortean way of interpreting Mr J. P. 's tale, but I note that not all that long after the supposed date of his sighting, in September 1959, there was in fact a fatal air crash at the (closed) air field involving a Fairey Gannet of the Fleet Air Arm whose crew were practicing for an air display.

Fairey_Gannet_AEW3,_UK_-_Navy_AN1339874.jpg

If you look at the latest SpaceX launch around 5 min in and in veue on one of the second
stage cams till the end there's a object to the left of the rocket motor, it cant be one of the
faring halves as they were jettisoned much earlier I dont think it's the first stage as it is on
it's way back to earth and at one point it has it's engines firing but there's no sign of this
on the second stage view also the first stage is getting down to 1.5 km and the object still
seems to be there, watched a good few of these launches' and not noticed anything before.

https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=sl-6-52

If you look at the latest SpaceX launch around 5 min in and in veue on one of the second
stage cams till the end there's a object to the left of the rocket motor, it cant be one of the
faring halves as they were jettisoned much earlier I dont think it's the first stage as it is on
it's way back to earth and at one point it has it's engines firing but there's no sign of this
on the second stage view also the first stage is getting down to 1.5 km and the object still
seems to be there, watched a good few of these launches' and not noticed anything before.

https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=sl-6-52
I saw what looked like lens flare at about 05.40 after launch?

Back