• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unexplained Cat Sounds

A

Anonymous

When I was 15/16 years old and still leaving at home I had some strange experiances with noise's.
My mum would pop down the local tennents association 3 nights a week to play bingo leaving me alone in our flat with our 3 cats.My cats have this annoying habit of getting in the litter tray which was situated in the bathroom and scratching away at the litter even though they didnt want to use it, which would lead to me going into the bathroom and telling them off.
Anyway, one evening I was sitting on my bed doing homework, the telly was on very low.From the bathroom came the sound of voilent scratching and it was really starting to annoy me so I got up to go and do my usual chastizing but upon getting up I saw all 3 of the cats were not only on my bed but asleep aswell.Needless to say I was very spooked as you just couldnt mistake the sound of this.Not only did I not investigate but I didnt leave my room until my mum got in! (my cats were indoor cats so there wouldnt have been a catflap or anyway another animal could have got in and when I checked the litter tray when mum got in it hadnt been used)

A few years later I had another cat like incident.I had by this time got married and left home.I was in my new flat and my husband was at home at the time and heard this too.we were in our spare room, I was on the computer and he was drawing at his desk so all was pretty quite.We had lost one of the cats a year before to cancer so just had the 2 who were on a bean bag in the room with us.From the kitchen came the sound of a cats tounge licking the plate on the floor,my husband said without taking his eyes off his drawing "dont your animals ever stop eating!" till I brought his attention to the fact they were both in the room wih us!

I also get this thing where I see an animal out of the corner of my eye but both the cats are within sight.

I have other experiances that have been unusual but ill leave them for a different post.

Welcome, wilfy!

What do you see out of the corner of your eye--another cat? Do your other cats interact with or pay any attention to the sounds? Are they creeped out by any particular area in the flat?

May or may not be relevant to the scratching in the litterbox sounds, but I've had experiences where my mind has fabricated familiar (and bothersome) noises out of the blue.

When I was still living at home, my sister went through a tough patch where often at night she would lay in bed sobbing very loudly. For several years after I moved out, I would hear it at night.

Recently, a friend's house alarm went off. It not only sounds an alarm, but also calls his cell phone. He was at work and called me to see if I could go check it out. When I did, there was nothing wrong - probably his cat set off the motion detector. Anyway, I reset the alarm and locked up and got into my car, and as soon as I shut the door, I heard the alarm going off in the distance. I rolled down the window, and there was nothing. This happened several times - when I rolled up the window, sometimes starting the engine, I would hear the alarm again. Finally, I realized that my mind was playing tricks on me.

I've never really noticed what might be triggering my brain to replay these remembered sounds, but they do happen around sleep - the alarm incident woke me up much earlier than I wanted to get up, and I was still quite groggy. I would hear the sobbing as I was trying to go to sleep - but in that case, that's also when the real thing used to happen.

A lot of people associate smells with memories and can summon up the smell when they think of the memory in question, perhaps you associate sounds in the same way and are able to summon up the noise instead?

Just a thought and welcome to the board by the way :hello:

Is there a thread on sounds or percieved sounds?

I find it really interesting when two people hear a sound which is obviously out of place. I have had a similar experience, my previous GF and I both heard my mother shout "Hi you two" when we came into the house only to find she wasn't even home. She did come home about 30 mins later.

Is there any info on the brain conjouring up sounds which it expects to hear, a kind of aural pre-cog?

It's interesting how so many strange events come in the guise of very commonplace ones - the sound of a cat licking its bowl, your mum shouting "hi" when you get in...
It seems to me that if you hear a sound on a regular basis, hearing a similar one (or an unfamiliar one) might catch you unawares - your brain filling in the blank. I often hear my cats when I'm at work (and they're not!) or hear a song I like on the radio, only to find when I listen properly I completely imagined it.
Maybe your mind gets used to these sounds and it only takes something similar to trigger them off?
Doesn't explain you and yr hubby hearing it at the same time though!
Nice post - what other things have happened?

I can relate to this. One of my several cats used to live outside and would stand on the shed roof meowing for food. I'd then go in, open a can and put some out for her.

Several times recently, I've heard Tiggy meowing on the shed roof and started to go inside for the food, only to realise that Tiggy isn't with us any more! :shock:

No, she'd not dead, she's gone to live with my daughter where she can be petted and pampered to her own catisfaction. :)

So, as there's no cat on the roof when I hear Tiggy, what cat has been meowing up there all these years? And who's been eating the food? :lol:

I think the only answer is that cats are multi-dimensional beings capable of existing on many planes of existance at one "time" - making it quite possible for them to be alive, dead, building pyramids in the litter tray (mine do!), eating the food, meowing for the food outside, and indeed doing all these things on many planets simultaneously....JOKE
They do seem to know something we don't though, don't they? Almost every cat lover I know has a wierd story relating to one of them...

I see our first cat all the time, out of the very corner of my eye, she's been gone 6 years. Well, physically.

We do miss her so. :cry:

Seeing a cat in the corner of your eye

Wilfy, I've had the same thing happen (in relation to seeing a cat in the corner of my eye which isn't there). I went to see one of my friends who was living in a shared flat in what was a big Victorian (or thenabouts (is that a word? Should be!)) house in Chiswick, W London. Nice old place. This was the first time I'd been to this place and for the first half an hour or so, I kept seeing what I thought was a black cat. Having repeatedly looked towards it but not seen it, I found my eyes trailing to where it might have hidden - under a sideboard or the sofa, chairs etc. After a short time I asked if my friends flat-mates had a cat. She said no, there wasn't a cat in the house, but several people visiting had asked the same thing!

Always loved cats, there is something about them, isn't there? I'm sure my late lamented, loving Smokey tried to talk to me all the time. A clever one, I had her trained to sit, stay, jump on to my lap and go out.

We have/had a very interesting 'Animal Ghosts' thread which all you moglovers will enjoy. :D

Lots of spooky cats on there, including, if I remember rightly, a chilling tale from my elder daughter's palmreading days. :shock:

nickedoff12 said:
OT, but, What's a mog?

Slang for cat?

It's short for moggie or moggy which is a slang term for a cat, except in some parts of Lancashire where a moggie was a mouse and a cat was a moggie-catcher.

Hi All,

Thankyou for the welcome and opinions!

Minor drag- yes I see another "cat",always when my two are in plain site and usually asleep cos thats all they seem to do! When I lived at home my black and white cat suzie (who is still with us now) was very interactive with the flat.We had a very long hallway which wasnt at the time partically well lit.When the one light that was out there wasnt on it was pitch black and spooked me and that reason would make another post.
Every now and then she would come running into the living room at full pelt crashing through the door with a bone on wood sickening thud, hair on end and spooked.She would then proceed over to an arm chair and swipe at it with her paw and spit.Mum and I would look at each other cos there was never anything on the chair.

Heckler and zede- good points, I do always try and find other explainations to things.My paraphyscology tutor at college teaches us that to try and find the truth in things we have to rip them apart for faults.
(very interesting course,did my first ghost hunt recently)

Thanks again for the welcome.

wilf

Forgot to mention that suzie seems to know when mum is on the phone.she will always get on my lap and start to rub her head on the receiver, she is a very human cat in ways and like to chat.

wilf

Cats are pretty damn cool, really. I think of them as the 'good guys' of the paranormal world. All of the bad stuff seems to be more dogs and the like.

About seeing another cat - it could be a psychological thing. It comes across that you had/have a lot of affection for the cat that died. When you do see it, are you under any sort of stress? Or are you in a more relaxed and settled mood? Maybe that has something to do with it.

wilfy said:
My paraphyscology tutor at college teaches us that to try and find the truth in things we have to rip them apart for faults.
(very interesting course,did my first ghost hunt recently)

Interesting! Do colleges have parapsychology classes? Sounds highly unusual to me. Unless you mean "paraphyscology", which is I know not what :D

I have the idea that th brain can play the most wonderful tricks on us when we let it. i don't wish to dispel anyones theories or explain away their experiences. My friend told me a great story the other month about a night when he had been to a dance party when it all took off in the early nineties or whenever it was, anyway he had been out and anyone familiar with that scene would know that you came home pretty curly some early mornings. This must of been one of those mornings for my friend. he got in and collapsed in bed put his earphones on and turned up whatever it was he was listening to. Sometime later he heard a clunk/bang/noise and turned down the volume of the side of the earphones (you remember them?) thinking he had knocked something over at the side of the bed or something he looked around saw nothing so turned the volume back up and carried on listening some short time later he noticed the tape wasn't turning any more and as the realisation dawned on him that the clunk/noise was the tape going off all at once the music stopped. The fact was the music had gone off 10 minutes or so ago but he could still hear it even to the point were when he turned down the volume then turned it back up again the music went quieter and then louder even though there was nothing playing....I know it wasn't a cat and not very spooky being as the end result was him rolling around laughing for half an hour but I think it serves to illustrate along with these other examples that perhaps the ears simply hear things they want to even if it means formulating their own sounds.

Interesting! Do colleges have parapsychology classes? Sounds highly unusual to me. Unless you mean "paraphyscology", which is I know not what

Depends on the college. Duke has done a lot of important research on parasychology and I believe they have classes in it. Don't know of any others, although they're probably out there.

Back