• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

It's a story. Would anyone manage to hold their shit together in such a situation? I'm not talking going batshit but his writing is very well put together and very calm. Good story though, but people don't act this was in real life.

Yes, it's a story. No Sleep is a forum for fiction but you're meant to act as if everything you read there is true.

From that askreddit:

"My great grandmother told me about her uncle who was deathly afraid of horses, he claimed "they weren't what they seemed". Apparently when he was a boy he was walking home alone and as he crested a hill he looked down into the valley below to see two horses walking side by side on their hind legs, like people. They continued to walk until they came to a fence, which they climbed, they continued to walk for a distance before they got down on all fours and began grazing."

Now that's the kind of stuff I like! You can keep your vampires and zombies.

Reminds me of the story on Obi Wan's Paranormal pages about the grandmother and daughter looking out of a window awaiting grandfather's return when a "strange mist" descended and they witnessed two cows walking on their hind legs. One was yellow and the other blue IIRC.

I always thought the solution to that might be ergot induced.....perhaps that's what occurred above Cochise?

Reminds me of the story on Obi Wan's Paranormal pages about the grandmother and daughter looking out of a window awaiting grandfather's return when a "strange mist" descended and they witnessed two cows walking on their hind legs. One was yellow and the other blue IIRC.

I always thought the solution to that might be ergot induced.....perhaps that's what occurred above Cochise?

Could well be. Not enough detail to even guess. But I am attracted to the oddness just the same. So many 'creepy' or 'weird' stories are either not really creepy at all, or are repetitions of current memes. This just struck me as being original and a true description of someone's experience, albeit probably a hallucination of some kind.

Oh I agree Cochise, big fan of the odd rather than the stock weird. Give me a Mothman any day to a free floating apparition.

Another favourite of mine is in Keel's "Strange Beings"...the story of the robot Sasquatch that marched in front of a guy's property while his dog's barked and snarled at it's heels and the Sasquatch ignored them and marched in a straight line into the woods.

Sasquatch stories are fun...but robot Sasquatch stories are better.

One of the stories on the Reddit matrix thread reminded me of something I haven't thought about in a while. It was a story of a girl at school that only the poster can remember.

I changed schools when I was 12. At the new school, the first day I started, a girl called Sam befriended me. I can clearly remember her. She was in the same tutor group as I was. She was tall, had short hair with blonde highlights. She told me that she originally started at this school, then her family moved away, and then they moved back and she started attending again. I particularly remember she wore a bright pink scarf and smelt of the most amazing perfume. I asked her what she was wearing but unfortunately I have never been able to recall the name of the scent- I have been searching for something that smells the same ever since. She was friends with another girl called Julie who was also in our group and who I also befriended.
A week or so later and I hadn't seen Sam in school since the first day. I asked Julie if Sam was ok and she was totally puzzled. She didn't know who on earth I was talking about. and swore she had never known a girl matching her description. I am still in contact with my old school pal Julie and to this day she insists that it was her I befriended on the first day, and that there was no Sam. This is despite Julie looking totally different to my recollection of Sam (Julie had long black hair and was short)

Larson got a drawing for that:
farsidecowsCAR.jpg

Last edited:
A bit like this, perhaps (minus the colours and the mist):

More like this.

Running, I got to the window before Grandma did. I resumed my former kneeling possition on the couch before really looking out the window. The light were still there, closer than before. They were just starting to take on a more deffinate shape, like something was imergeing from the fog.

Grandma leaned forward for a closer look at the solidifying shapes. I turned to her, asking what the lights were. She didn't know and was begining to act a bit scared by the sight. I turned back to the window.

The strange lights were almost to the house by that point. (**Thinking back now, I realize just how bright they must have been to have been visable at the first.** ) Then the lights finally took on a more tangable shape. (**This is the part that REALLY makes me doubt what we THOUGHT we saw**) What we saw looked to be two cows, both bulls, dancing along the road on their hind legs. (**No, this is NOT a joke.**) One was glowing yellow, the other was glowing pink. Each of the "bulls" had a front leg, "arm" draped over the shoulder of the other. They were heading toward the driveway.

Still trawling through the Reddit thread (nowt on telly worth watching)

This one bothers me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c..._me_your_glitch_in_the_matrix_stories/c3gsgz5

I am positive that opaque has always meant slightly transparent. You can see light and shadows but not any details. I have just double checked the definition and apparently it means non transparent. Impenetrable by light.

Wha???

When the buggering hell did it change?

IIRC from my days as a Y.T.S. Glazier ...opaque has always referred to glass that has an obstructed view, no light or movement. I'm prepared to believe the definition got warped by salesmen and marketing speak.

As long as your not thinking of installing opaque windows in your home?

IIRC from my days as a Y.T.S. Glazier ...opaque has always referred to glass that has an obstructed view, no light or movement. I'm prepared to believe the definition got warped by salesmen and marketing speak.

As long as your not thinking of installing opaque windows in your home?

Search Google for that word and you get this definition:
An opaque object is neither transparent (allowing all light to pass through) nor translucent (allowing some light to pass through).
Opacity (optics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opacity_(optics)

All day I have been asking people I know what they thought opaque meant. It seems a 50/50 split between people thinking it means translucent, and people knowing it's actual definition.

That's a significantly high proportion of people who don't know the meaning of the word - in your sample group, anyway.

'Opacity' might suggest its a variable describing anything 'nearly translucent' through to solid. So everyone's right? :confused:
'Opacity', yes - it's a variable.
'Opaque', no - it's completely solid.

I don't think opaque ever means completely solid. You wouldn't describe a brick wall as opaque for instance. Or am I just continuing the GITM thread over to this board?:D
I would describe Mother of Pearl using this adjective, but also frosted glass.

Edit -One of the definitions of opaque is 'difficult or hard to understand'. I think I might have that.:oops:

I think the issue with opacity is that we use the word when talking about translucent object more than, well, actually opaque objects. At least for those of us who do a lot of art and photoshop on the computer. If we need something to be solid, we don't even think about opacity, but once we need something to be translucent, we reach for the opacity slider.

that's just my thoughts on the matter anyway. I wouldn't normally discuss the opacity of an opaque object. It's just be "normal" or "not translucent".

Edit: I thought maybe this was a good place to mention The Mandela Effect. Someone is trying to gather stories about when many people seem to mis-remember the same things, as if part of the population have shifted from an alternative universe into "ours". http://mandelaeffect.com/ Named after the fact that the author of the site and a lot of other people seemed to have very vivid memories of Mandela dying long before he actually did. I share some of the false memories on the site such as the Berenstain v Berenstein Bears and I also have vivid memories of a third Beatle (Macca) dying a few years back. I think I might have it mixed up with the tenth anniversary of Harrison's death. Sorry if it has been shared before.

Last edited:
So sorry about going off topic there =( I'll try to make up for it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...nsfw_what_is_the_creepiest_andor_most/cpntufn
This story caught my eye. Wild poltergeist story and it sounds like something someone on here would know more about. Any thoughts about where this could be and what the back story might be?

No idea of the location or back story but I'm willing to bet she is currently wading through 837 PM requests and thinking; "Why did I ever post on Reddit?" :D

I don't think opaque ever means completely solid. You wouldn't describe a brick wall as opaque for instance. Or am I just continuing the GITM thread over to this board?:D
I would describe Mother of Pearl using this adjective, but also frosted glass.

Edit -One of the definitions of opaque is 'difficult or hard to understand'. I think I might have that.:oops:

My understanding of "opaque" is more to define the density of the colour. e.g. opaque fabric is considered to be dense, non-translucent (i.e. not see-through). "Opacity" defines the depth of that density. Imagine stocking fabric. Made of nylon, it's thickness is measured in a unit called a 'denier' (den-ee-ear), not de-ny-irr. So, a pair of 15 denier tights would appear semi-translucent and therefore have a low opacity. 50 denier tights would have next to no translucency and therefore would be defined as high-opacity/highly opaque.

Back