• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

I'd guess that this actually reads 21 Dec 22 but the faulty printer has left off the bottom bar of the 2 making it look like a 7? Those prices would be pretty high for 1977.
I’m not sure about that. It looks like an old receipt as there’s not the amount of information on it as you get on modern receipts,shop name etc. The sevens look too straight to be a typo and $2.65 in 1977 wasn’t a lot of money plus we don’t know what they actually purchased.

I'd guess that this actually reads 21 Dec 22 but the faulty printer has left off the bottom bar of the 2 making it look like a 7? Those prices would be pretty high for 1977.
But the top of the 2 is curved everywhere else. Maybe the 77 is nothing to do with the date? Some sort of identifier for the staff member or till perhaps, although it's an odd place to put it.

Of course it could be from 2077. :)

Do we know what it is a receipt for?

Edit @Stillill just beat me to the curved 2s!

Edit again - And what the receipt was for.

But the top of the 2 is curved everywhere else. Maybe the 77 is nothing to do with the date? Some sort of identifier for the staff member or till perhaps, although it's an odd place to put it.

That's true. But the date format doesn't look right for American. Could be Australian dollars I suppose...

I’m not sure about that. It looks like an old receipt as there’s not the amount of information on it as you get on modern receipts,shop name etc. The sevens look too straight to be a typo and $2.65 in 1977 wasn’t a lot of money plus we don’t know what they actually purchased.
Yes it doesn’t look like a modern receipt to me, the way it’s printed and presented.

Edit @Stillill just beat me to the curved 2s!

Edit again - And what the receipt was for.p
I doubt they’ll be any printed receipts in 2077 unless technology crashes in on itself.

Maybe there's a clue in the $000.15 TAX? I wouldn't know where to start looking though.
If it’s U.S. dollars I’m thinking that the 6 % tax is a state tax which varies from state to state so unfortunately that doesn’t really help.

Yes it doesn’t look like a modern receipt to me, the way it’s printed and presented.
Non-thermal printer = 1970s western era
Impact carbon letterpress and typeset = 1970s western era
Paper weight, thickness (and fold style) = 1970s western era
Screenshot 2022-12-28 002932.jpg

If it’s U.S. dollars I’m thinking that the 6 % tax is a state tax which varies from state to state so unfortunately that doesn’t really help.
I didn't know it varied from state to state. I falsely assumed it was the same as the UK's tax (Value Added Tax = VAT) which is the same all over. The only thing that changes over time is the percentage of the VAT added on to the price. It only ever goes up. I was thinking the amount (6%) would give a clue as to the time period the receipt was issued.

Could the December date be a clue? Was the receipt left in with a Christmas present such as clothing and then dropped into the crevice of a wardrobe or draw and you unknowingly caught it and picked it up with an item of clothing perhaps?

He is a cash receipt from 1977

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193489936225

Looks like a US receipt and note how the date is printed in an identical manner

Last edited:
The poster says they are 29. If they are living in their own place surely they wouldn’t have anything going back that far. It might even be a push for their parents.

Could the December date be a clue? Was the receipt left in with a Christmas present such as clothing and then dropped into the crevice of a wardrobe or draw and you unknowingly caught it and picked it up with an item of clothing perhaps?

He is a cash receipt from 1977

I don't know why people are assuming that it is an American receipt. Why?

It is not unusual to have random bits of paper hidden in floorboards or anything. Old homes that were renovated often had old newspapers in the walls.

That’s a 6% sales tax. ln 1977, only three US states had a 6% statutory sales tax:

California
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island

Table 6.7 here.

maximus otter
They say they are in The Bay Area. Which when I googled came up with

San Francisco Bay Area​

Region in California

Which does tie in with one of the areas to have the tax rates.

..He is a cash receipt from 1977

It's Canadian. Shoppers Drug Mart still exists. And there's a Scarborough in Ontario (I hadn't realised that Canadians have a similarly on/off relationship with their 'ugh's' as their neighbours.)

It drives me up the wall when people message me to ask questions that are clearly covered on my Ebay listings - so, it is to my everlasting shame that I admit that I worked all that out with the help of the internet before noticing it was actually mentioned on the listing.

Could easily be a genuine receipt from the bay area or the general vicinity. Lots of stuff cost $2.50 in them days. Could have been lunch or a pair of socks or a cool old coat from a thrift store. The date format is not unusual for the US, especially for a purely mechanical cash register, by far the most common sort at the time.

The poster says they are 29. If they are living in their own place surely they wouldn’t have anything going back that far. It might even be a push for their parents.
As a 30-something charity-shopper of vintage clothing, I’ve had plenty of coats and bags with ancient receipts in, usually a dry cleaning receipt or a cloakroom ticket. I wondered if maybe the original poster had bought something preloved and the receipt came with it. That’s a big ‘if’ of course.

In the massive Reddit list above, second from the bottom entry says " creepy has stations "..... Are redditors getting material off this very board? Makes me wonder..... The trans dimensional has station comes to mind.

I know a few YouTube's get creepy stories from old FT back issues.

great list though!! Gonna have a read of that now .

From 9gag:
rnnavjeki28m
Story time. Once a teen sprayed some graffiti and got caught. He ran away, two or three colleagues ran after him. He jumped over fences, they jumped over fences. The oldest colleague, a chubby and deeply relaxed guy, walked to the car, grabbed the megaphone and said, "come here, ma boy, it ain't that bad. Let's talk" and the teen actually stopped running and walked straight to him in order to talk - whereas the other colleagues arrived exhausted and out of breath and couldn't believe their ears and eyes.

From 9gag:
rnnavjeki28m
Story time. Once a teen sprayed some graffiti and got caught. He ran away, two or three colleagues ran after him. He jumped over fences, they jumped over fences. The oldest colleague, a chubby and deeply relaxed guy, walked to the car, grabbed the megaphone and said, "come here, ma boy, it ain't that bad. Let's talk" and the teen actually stopped running and walked straight to him in order to talk - whereas the other colleagues arrived exhausted and out of breath and couldn't believe their ears and eyes.
Sometimes the simplest and most direct way works. Work smarter, not harder:cool:.

In the massive Reddit list above, second from the bottom entry says " creepy has stations "..... Are redditors getting material off this very board? Makes me wonder..... The trans dimensional has station comes to mind.
Actually, I started that reddit thread and, while yes I was thinking about our trans-dimensional gas station thread, I was also inspired because I've seen dozens of "odd/out-of-place gas station" stories on reddit, so figured it was appropriate.

Back