• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

I found this on the Fortean Times Appreciation Group on Facebook
It's no long updated (mores the pity) but there are some great tales have a read
The WEIRD SCIENCE database of ANOMALOUS PHENOMENA
That's great, Rob. i particularly like the vanishing/reappearing objects thread
http://amasci.com/weird/unusual/objs.html
I feel like such glitches are surely indicating that reality is not quite what we think it is. I actually find it a harder idea to swallow that they're all "people who don't look properly"!

Last edited:
A fascinating story about different brain parts or even different realities:
https://dxmrevealed.wordpress.com/2020/12/09/the-weirdest-thing-that-has-ever-happened-to-me/

I spent the next two weeks wandering about my like in a sort of solipsistic haze, wondering how I could be sure anything was real, or trust my own perceptions of it. To this day, a part of me is convinced that different subroutines of my brain are sentient in themselves, and quite separate from *me.*

Interesting comments also:
https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/FxjJn8ZyWPbm75qpP/my-weirdest-experience

Last edited:
I’d say the police helicopter I saw yesterday would have been that. Police ‘copters could be lower than normal because they are usually searching for something or someone.
Ok I’ve measured every helicopter I’ve seen by thumb. I’d say mostly half the thickness of thumb and to knuckle, well mine anyway.

This one was a lot closer but it was landing.
IMG_1646.jpeg

A fascinating story about different brain parts or even different realities:
https://dxmrevealed.wordpress.com/2020/12/09/the-weirdest-thing-that-has-ever-happened-to-me/

I spent the next two weeks wandering about my like in a sort of solipsistic haze, wondering how I could be sure anything was real, or trust my own perceptions of it. To this day, a part of me is convinced that different subroutines of my brain are sentient in themselves, and quite separate from *me.*

Interesting comments also:
https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/FxjJn8ZyWPbm75qpP/my-weirdest-experience

Here's a similar Reddit story that the poster swore was true.
Worth reading in full but here's a summary:

My last semester at a certain college I was assulted by a football player for walking where he was trying to drive (note he was 325lbs I was 120lbs), while unconscious on the ground I lived a different life.

A Parallel Life / Awoken By A Lamp

Incidentally, I do believe this is another strange dark and mysterious incident covered by our friend Mr Ballen.

Ok I’ve measured every helicopter I’ve seen by thumb. I’d say mostly half the thickness of thumb and to knuckle, well mine anyway.

This one was a lot closer but it was landing. View attachment 67911
Off-topic but yellow 'copter generally = air ambulance

I have the privilege of living near a rural airfield which hosts such a one and when I see it flying off on a job I always say a quick prayer for the potential patient.

We also live in an area which is used for a lot of military air practice, mostly of the hellychopter variety. When they are coptering around a bit more than normal for extended periods, we know something's a bit 'up' with an international situation. Once I saw something like a standard 737 overhead but with two military jets alongside - I always wonder if I saw some president or world leader or other on their way home!

About 23/4 years ago when I lived close by, but even more rural, we had a lovely Chinook crew fly low over my garden and me & my uncle (who had Down syndrome and loved aircraft) were jumping and waving at them, they then circled and flew by again, a tad lower this time - I am convinced to give us another show :-D

Last edited:
Off-topic but yellow 'copter generally = air ambulance

I have the privilege of living near a rural airfield which hosts such a one and when I see it flying off on a job I always say a quick prayer for the potential patient.

We also live in an area which is used for a lot of military air practice, mostly of the hellychopter variety. When they are coptering around a bit more than normal for extended periods, we know something's a bit 'up' with an international situation. Once I saw something like a standard 737 overhead but with two military jets alongside - I always wonder if I saw some president or world leader or other on their way home!

About 23/4 years ago when I lived close by, but even more rural, we had a lovely Chinook crew fly low over my garden and me & my uncle (who had Down syndrome and loved aircraft) were jumping and waving at them, they then circled and flew by again, a tad lower this time - I am convinced to give us another show :-D
Yes unfortunately it was an air ambulance the second in a week. Sad that it’s needed but we are so lucky to have it. I was thinking the other day how far we have come from the original ambulances which was just pick them up and take them in.

Yes unfortunately it was an air ambulance the second in a week. Sad that it’s needed but we are so lucky to have it. I was thinking the other day how far we have come from the original ambulances which was just pick them up and take them in.
On FlightRadar I sometimes notice two Air Ambulances at a time flying off to different hospitals.

One might go to the Major Trauma Centre in Stoke and the other to the Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool.

I'll never hear what's gone on but it will have been traumatic. Much worse without the Air Ambulances of course.

Lots of air ambulances round here. A friend of mine's daughter was airlifted to hospital after an accident during a One Day Event, when her horse fell on her. Wonderful things. Air ambulances, I mean, not horses. Or One Day Events. Although I've nothing agains the latter two.

Lots of air ambulances round here. A friend of mine's daughter was airlifted to hospital after an accident during a One Day Event, when her horse fell on her. Wonderful things. Air ambulances, I mean, not horses. Or One Day Events. Although I've nothing agains the latter two.
It appals me that in the UK, air ambulances are funded almost entirely by charitable donations. Similarly with the RNLI.

Saw an Air Ambulance out of my window in central London some years back. It was hovering over the park at Tavistock Square (site of the future 7/7 bus bombing) but couldn't land because of the trees and the narrow streets. After 40 mins of racket and turbulence, the helicopter moved on as the road Ambulance finally turned up . What was the point ?

Saw an Air Ambulance out of my window in central London some years back. It was hovering over the park at Tavistock Square (site of the future 7/7 bus bombing) but couldn't land because of the trees and the narrow streets. After 40 mins of racket and turbulence, the helicopter moved on as the road Ambulance finally turned up . What was the point ?
You could ask them. They're on Facebook and Twitter.

l suspect that there’s a component of, “We have one, it’s expensive, and we haven’t used it in a while. Get it airborne to justify its existence.”

maximus otter

Maybe once they arrived they were deemed not necessary (perhaps the patient had died in the interim) and they stayed in case they were needed in support of the road ambulance (ie, giving reports on road conditions, fastest way to the destination, etc)?

That's great, Rob. i particularly like the vanishing/reappearing objects thread
http://amasci.com/weird/unusual/objs.html
I feel like such glitches are surely indicating that reality is not quite what we think it is. I actually find it a harder idea to swallow that they're all "people who don't look properly"!
My browser gives me, not the standard "this doesn't have https, are you sure?" but a "this is going to harm your computer" type warning for this url, just in case

My browser gives me, not the standard "this doesn't have https, are you sure?" but a "this is going to harm your computer" type warning for this url, just in case
My phone browser (safari) had no problems with either link in @Eponastill's post.

The original reddit post had more info, which has since been removed -
The poster was very puzzled by the photo, sent to him by his brother. And the larger photo did not show any further information. There should be a body behind the man, but there wasn't.
The odd part about the story was that their older sister had recently passed on, and it looked like her hand, with the ring, resting on her brother's shoulder.

The original reddit post had more info, which has since been removed -
The poster was very puzzled by the photo, sent to him by his brother. And the larger photo did not show any further information. There should be a body behind the man, but there wasn't.
The odd part about the story was that their older sister had recently passed on, and it looked like her hand, with the ring, resting on her brother's shoulder.
I don't know what ghosts are (obviously) but I am always intrigued by the idea that IF they aren't just some kind of 'stone tape' type re-play but rather a kind of deliberate visitation by the 'soul' of a departed person, why on Earth would the clothes or other accessories - in the case of this photo, the sister's ring - be part of the apparition?

Of course, some ghosts act like a simple re-play and others seem to operate with their own agency. And there are multiple-witness reports and apparitions in photos or videos, which both mitigate against the idea that ghosts are somehow merely subjective.

Maybe there are more than one type of ghost. Certainly seems that way to me. One catch-all explanation would be neat, but unlikely to account for all incidents.

I don't know what ghosts are (obviously) but I am always intrigued by the idea that IF they aren't just some kind of 'stone tape' type re-play but rather a kind of deliberate visitation by the 'soul' of a departed person, why on Earth would the clothes or other accessories - in the case of this photo, the sister's ring - be part of the apparition?

Of course, some ghosts act like a simple re-play and others seem to operate with their own agency. And there are multiple-witness reports and apparitions in photos or videos, which both mitigate against the idea that ghosts are somehow merely subjective.

Maybe there are more than one type of ghost. Certainly seems that way to me. One catch-all explanation would be neat, but unlikely to account for all incidents.
Who knows? But my Mum showed up to say goodbye to me as two small black feet walking in the door, with legs starting to form.
I haven't heard of any naked ghosts! :)
And I don't think they follow any rules.

Back