• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Knock At The Door

I thinks it`s odd that our dog barks and runs to the door if she hears a door bell on the telly, because we`ve never had a door bell. I don`t know how she learned to do it. :)
My last dog did that too. We got her at around 8 weeks as a rescue, and I just figured wherever she spent her earliest postnatal days was a place with a doorbell. How old was your dog when you got her?

My dog does this, any doorbell. Generally ignores TV apart from Midsomer Murders which has a terrier on.
My dog used to stare at Sykes. She'd just sit in a chair, transfixed by the screen, and stare at him. I think she just couldn't work him out, he didn't 'smell' like dog, and yet...

She's never barked at doorbells, but then we've never had one. I think it might be the pitch of the ring that makes them take notice.

It’s only Sykes and occasionally otherTerrier types. Very occasionally it’s other dogs if they are high pitched or whining. TVs wasted on him.

We had a very unnerving incident.
As background I spend a lot of time resting at the moment so Am home most afternoons after takingfor a walk. our house basically two 18th century cottages with 20th century extensions. we sit on a end in the road opposite a junction with another B road. To enter we have a wide gate to drive and a pedestrian gate for front door. TheBack door is through the garden, down steps by the kitchen. Back door is half glazed. Both gates make a noise

last Wednesday at about 15:00 there were several thunderous knocks on a door. sprang into action from his perch on big Chair and raced towards front door, stopping suddenly by the stairs then headed for me, I jumped up to go to kitchen- despite only being in adjacent room I had not seen anyone through the glass, or heard a vehicle.
I was somewhat nervous as I opened the door, no one to be seen , walked around to the front, no one or anything at either door.

In hindsight one of the oddest things about this was the behavior of the dog- the knocking was loud- no doubt it was someone banging on wood- sounded like the heavier front door, he joined me by the kitchen, but made no attempt to get out. His usual technique is to attempt to dash out and sort out “villains “

The volume of the knocks was so unexpected and the extreme unease of myself and dog were very out of character.

IMG_0700.jpeg
Rough diagram of house

As background I spend a lot of time resting at the moment so Am home most afternoons after takingfor a walk. our house basically two 18th century cottages with 20th century extensions. we sit on a end in the road opposite a junction with another B road. To enter we have a wide gate to drive and a pedestrian gate for front door. TheBack door is through the garden, down steps by the kitchen. Back door is half glazed. Both gates make a noise

last Wednesday at about 15:00 there were several thunderous knocks on a door. sprang into action from his perch on big Chair and raced towards front door, stopping suddenly by the stairs then headed for me, I jumped up to go to kitchen- despite only being in adjacent room I had not seen anyone through the glass, or heard a vehicle.
I was somewhat nervous as I opened the door, no one to be seen , walked around to the front, no one or anything at either door.

In hindsight one of the oddest things about this was the behavior of the dog- the knocking was loud- no doubt it was someone banging on wood- sounded like the heavier front door, he joined me by the kitchen, but made no attempt to get out. His usual technique is to attempt to dash out and sort out “villains “

The volume of the knocks was so unexpected and the extreme unease of myself and dog were very out of character.
Wonder if that could be caused by your house cooling down after getting hot?

No, 18” thick walls, we don’t get much sudden cooling on ground floor, this was definitely thumping on wood. If I hadn’t been in the Red room and the only person. Home I might have thought it was someone messing with the old door between the old house and the more recent extension.

No, 18” thick walls, we don’t get much sudden cooling on ground floor, this was definitely thumping on wood. If I hadn’t been in the Red room and the only person. Home I might have thought it was someone messing with the old door between the old house and the more recent extension.
Then it seems as if there's some other not-so-obvious reason for the heavy knock on the door?

Are they hedges on either side up against the road?

Kids 'knock door running' (do they still do that?) then legging it and being hidden from your view by the hedge?

I wonder if all this increased unsociability (see a forum like Mumsnet, for examples of 'people who never answer their door if they're not expecting callers') had done away with knock-and-run games? No fun at all if nobody answers the door.

I ruled out knock knock ginger as the front gate is a bugger to open and noisy, attack hound would have leapt into action or at least fallen off his perch.

Sadly there are few kids walking around here, I not heard of anyone playing silly games with doors knocking locally- think they have found other means of entertainment

These were three real hard thumps on the door ,Ive still not come up with a sensible answer and it bothers me.

'Knock-down-ginger,' seems to have originated in Cornwall, a local feast, known as 'Nickanan Night!'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickanan_Night
In Canada, the practice is referred to as "nicky nicky nine doors". I was a crappy runner, so did not play very often. This sounds like a Anglo-Canadianized bastardization of Nickanan Night. I love the way language moves around and changes.

I wonder if all this increased unsociability (see a forum like Mumsnet, for examples of 'people who never answer their door if they're not expecting callers') had done away with knock-and-run games?...

This is my neighbour, up and dressed (although he rarely is).

He's constantly ordering shit online, never answers our communal front door and we don't have remote door entry systems. I spend half my life taking packages for him, because I feel sorry for the delivery guys and they know I do, so they always try me if they can't get an answer from him - which is always!

I posted the following on The Exorcism Thread (post # 279) a few months back, but it's clearly apt here:

This thread has reminded me of a somewhat inconsequential but still quite mystifying thing that happened to me back in the mid noughties.

I was staying with a friend in Leyton, east London. His flat was typical of many areas of London - the ground floor of a long terrace of fairly solid two storey homes, many split into flats. The front room opened on to a narrow hallway - which led to the front door, just a very few feet separating the two.

I was working with this friend at the time, and we took turns cooking at the end of the day. We were late this night, and had poured a whisky each and plonked ourselves down in front of the TV as soon as we got in. There was a programme about exorcism in Italy, and just at the point we turned on they were documenting the contemporary case of a teenage girl. We hadn't made much of a decision to watch it, I think it was just what was on, and we were too exhausted to care otherwise - but I was kind of interested, because at the point we'd tuned in they were in Siena, and I have relatives there.

Anyway – when said teenage girl starts gnashing her teeth and groaning in Aramaic (or whatever), I haul myself out of the sofa to go to the shops for the makings of a late dinner. I step into the hallway, put my hand on the front door handle, and pause to call out a question. As I do, there’s a hammering on the door – which, as I’m standing right by it, with my hand on the handle, I open instantly.

No one there.

After a moment’s silence.

My friend: Who’s that?

Me: Ummmm. There’s no-one here.

My friend: What?

Me: There’s no-one at the door.

Pause

My friend: Must be George again.

Me: Yup.

Pause

My friend: Shall we watch something else?

Me: Yup.

(For an explanation of the ‘George’ reference – see here, on the Eerie East London thread, at post #12.)

A seemingly urgent sound associated with alerting / warning is a common form of hypnagogic* audio hallucination. Hearing one's name being called, a strident knocking at the door, and a phone ringing are typical examples.

* Hypnagogic = during the sliding-off transition from wakefulness into sleep.
My daughter in law was telling me that in the shop where she works (tourist trap on a famously haunted street), the workers regularly hear their name called in eachother's voices, only to find nobody called them, when they answer.

A couple of times I have woken my wife up convinced the alarm had gone off, only to find it was 2 am or some other silly time of night
At least you've still got plenty of time to go back to sleep. The worst thing is when this happens an hour before the alarm goes off in real life, so you're still trying to nod off when it really does go off!

'Knock-down-ginger,' seems to have originated in Cornwall, a local feast, known as 'Nickanan Night!'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickanan_Night
When I was a kid there was 'Mischief Night' in this part of Yorkshire (before the imported US style Halloween). Here, it was 4th November and mainly consisted of treacle on door knobs or knocking on door and running away. It died out within living memory.

We'd do it but on the council estate down t'other end of the village where we were less recognisable. They will have done the same at our end of the village...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischief_Night

Back