• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

Hello October ! !

But the temperature has been running in the mid 80’s F or around 30 C which is just too warm.

The shorter days are really noticeable now.

The wooly worms ( Isabella Tiger Moth ) are black ( the lighter the warmer) which means a bad winter.

So I guess I will get out my snow sled and huskies.

A Derecho is
  1. a storm system that moves a long distance rapidly and brings winds which can devastate an area several miles wide.
I was smack bang in the middle,it arrived and departed far quicker than I imagined.
672DEB98-CA9F-4F0C-A8A3-329A097109C8.jpeg
537DA09F-7D56-4AC6-86CD-F497082B115A.jpeg
DD01688F-F21E-46F7-B58C-850ACA33675D.jpeg
87762917-722E-41AD-A85E-8D2F4DFD9BD5.jpeg

Me?Yup,been in worse I found it very interesting actually watching it rage through the area apart from our electricity was out for a few days.
Must have been quite an experience though?

Of course, there is a lot of talk about climate change these days, but would anyone (in Britain) say that it has also become windier?
I certainly haven't noticed this.

In 2015 the laws regarding roof fixings were changed;

In recent years, updates to BS 5534 have aimed to raise the standards in roofing. In 2015, changes were driven by extreme weather, which was putting more strain on roofs and increasing insurance claims. There was also a need to align with European Standards and equivalent Eurocodes.

Before then, tiles were only nailed every so many courses, but now three tiles in all around the perimeter have to be nailed and clipped and all the others have to be nailed or clipped.
Also mortar was a perfectly adequate way of bedding ridge tiles, but now they all have to be dry-fixed.

Of course, windy areas may have already had stricter rules but this seems like another unecessary expense to the homeowner in many cases - not to mention making it more difficult to replace the odd tile when needed.

https://www.marley.co.uk/britishstandards/bs5534

Of course, there is a lot of talk about climate change these days, but would anyone (in Britain) say that it has also become windier?
I certainly haven't noticed this.

In 2015 the laws regarding roof fixings were changed;

In recent years, updates to BS 5534 have aimed to raise the standards in roofing. In 2015, changes were driven by extreme weather, which was putting more strain on roofs and increasing insurance claims. There was also a need to align with European Standards and equivalent Eurocodes.

Before then, tiles were only nailed every so many courses, but now three tiles in all around the perimeter have to be nailed and clipped and all the others have to be nailed or clipped.
Also mortar was a perfectly adequate way of bedding ridge tiles, but now they all have to be dry-fixed.

Of course, windy areas may have already had stricter rules but this seems like another unecessary expense to the homeowner in many cases - not to mention making it more difficult to replace the odd tile when needed.

https://www.marley.co.uk/britishstandards/bs5534
Insurance and Liability?

Insurance and Liability?
Well they're saying that that is part of the reason, but I would think that tests were done in wind-tunnels etc that lead to the old rules being perfectly adequate.

What interested me was the comment that the winds have allegedly become stronger since 2015, which, if so then I suppose it's a fair enough law change, but I suspect it was more to do with just lining up with European rules (at the expense of the British home owner/buyer).
Think how many ££££s that adds on to the labour and material costs of roofing a house.

Not trying to come across'ere as over-dramatic, but my work manager is currently missing. He was working at another site and couldn't get back because of flooding.
Last we heard he was on a bus with his phone battery failing. His wife is currently ringing round trying to find out where he's got to.

Haven't heard of any washed-away buses but it's faintly worrying.

This is my helpful boss who tried to protect me from Mr Angry a few years back. He's a good egg.
One hopes he's holed up somewhere warm and safe with a latte and a sausage roll. Fingers crossed.

I forgot to post about some weather weirdness two weeks ago.

For two successive evenings whilst driving I had to have the windscreen wipers on. The weird bit was that it wasn't raining. The outside of the windscreen was misting up so quickly (in seconds) that I had no choice, the same as every other car.

That is a first in 45 years of driving.

Last edited:
It's steady consistent weather here - a bit warm for 5 or 6 days, then a cold front with maybe a little rain, and a rapid drop down to 23 degrees, and then the build up again. Speaking for myself, I don't mind the heat due to the lack of humidity, and, on a Monday, I put out a load of washing on the line and it's dry by the time the next load comes out - Lovely tell yer Mum!

Mind you, I think that we're in for a bit of a scorcher this Summer.

I forgot to post about some weather weirdness two weeks ago.

For two successive evenings whilst driving I had to have the windscreen wipers on. The weird bit was that it wasn't raining. The outside of the windscreen was misting up so quickly (in seconds) that I had no choice, the same as every other car.

That is a first in 45 years of driving.
A bit like the mirror I mentioned?

This is the flood under the Cholmondeston railway bridge. It's next to the Marina Tearoom where we had hoped to have breakfast.
The Tearoom is closed, most likely because the weather was expected to be poor today.
The railway along there has flooded. Trains were stopped for a while but are running again now. Slowly.

The car seen on the far side of the bridge has been temporarily abandoned and the leaflet on the windscreen is from a recovery company.
We saw at least 8 cars left there with the leaflets and there were others further along which had presumably managed a bit longer before conking out.

Attachments

• Cholmeston railway bridge 1.jpeg
    Cholmeston railway bridge 1.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Cholmeston railway bridge 2.jpeg
    Cholmeston railway bridge 2.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 16
A friend’s house flooded yesterday :( It’s in a hollow and a stream runs through an underground culvert from a lake in the park next door. It’s never flooded since he’s lived there. The streams comes through the culvert then runs around the edge of his grounds and it’s in a deep bed. You can walk to the edge and look down four or five feet to the stream, so it was higher than that yesterday.

Someone walking their dog in the park came upon the stream (same stream just in the park not the friend’s garden) and posted it to the local newspaper page on Facebook

IMG_6645.jpeg

The friend was recording it on his phone as it crept higher and then it just crashed through the culvert and across the lawn, poured down the patio steps into his patio, and into the house. He’d tried to call the fire service but couldn't get through because of course there were a lot of floods and they must have been very busy.

He said it came through the walls and up through the floor. Absolute mess to deal with though there’s insurance of course, but the stress must be terrible.

He’s coping, son and daughter in law and the cleaner were helping and when the water receded he got most of the standing water up with a Vax but floorboards ruined and carpets of course.

It must be awful to just see the water creeping higher and knowing you can’t do anything. I’m so sorry for anyone who’s been affected.

And it will affect his insurance and sale. He had thoughts of renting it or selling once he retires and getting a place near his daughter’s family in Wales, but once it’s been flooded people are not going to want to buy or rent it for what he would have got before. It’s a gorgeous place too, but in a little hollow so it’s going to be vulnerable.

The guy in the nice thatched cottage on the corner has lost his underfloor heating.

There's no doubt at all its a terrible thing to be hit by fooding.

When I kept dogs I wouldn't let them near dangers like frozen lakes or high waves. Whoever owns the dog seen on the video should give their heads a wobble.
Yeah, all my Collies loved water, so you had to watch them round waterfalls and the like - Mugdock wood doesn't usually flap about like that tho :p

Back