• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

The weather in Scotland remains (in some places) horrendous: and in a number of others, there are residual after-effects that will take a hell of a lot of effort to fix.....
Screenshot_20231021_204348_Facebook.jpg

Brechin is really badly afflicted.

And Perth (the proper first Scottish one, not the Western Australia version....) how on earth can there be over £20m spent on flood defences back in the late 1990s, many kilometres of effort expended...and yet: They.Never.Closed.The.Gates.In.Time

Screenshot_20231021_205704_Chrome.jpg

This time our local council closed the flood gates but it never got near to being needed, a few years ago they don’t and it came over, me and a mate tried to shut them but they were padlocked, and nobody knew were the key was, they now just bolt them so all we need is a big spanner

Dogs and dangerous water: this incident stands out for me.

I'd taken my young family to a wedding in Blackpool the previous November and walked them along the promenade and pier, and the waves were mountainous even then.

Taught me a lot about keeping dogs on leads. :nods:

Edit - the article is written in shockingly bad English, with sloppy editing and poor spellings galore.
Not the dignified tribute one might hope for! :thought:

Blackpool Sea Tragedy: 40 years on, we remember the three police officers who died trying to save a man and his dog.

Some 40 years have gone by since three heroic Blackpool police officers gave the ultimate sacrifice while attempting to save a man and his dog from the choppy Irish Sea.

On January 5, 1983, a Scottish holidaymaker had been walking along the Blackpool coast near Gynn Square. 25-year-old Alistair Anthony was with his terrier, Henry, along the prom.

But in an eager to retrieve his ball, dog Henry had ended up throwing himself into the sea. He was carried off by the 20-foot waves crashing against the coast.

The next twelve hours would see Alistair and three officers lose their lives with a fourth hospitalised as they tried to retrieve the dog. To this day it remains the greatest loss of police life to Lancashire officers.

Last edited:
A friend’s house flooded yesterday :( It’s in a hollow and a stream runs through an underground culvert from a lake in the park next door. It’s never flooded since he’s lived there. The streams comes through the culvert then runs around the edge of his grounds and it’s in a deep bed. You can walk to the edge and look down four or five feet to the stream, so it was higher than that yesterday.

Someone walking their dog in the park came upon the stream (same stream just in the park not the friend’s garden) and posted it to the local newspaper page on Facebook

View attachment 70687

The friend was recording it on his phone as it crept higher and then it just crashed through the culvert and across the lawn, poured down the patio steps into his patio, and into the house. He’d tried to call the fire service but couldn't get through because of course there were a lot of floods and they must have been very busy.

He said it came through the walls and up through the floor. Absolute mess to deal with though there’s insurance of course, but the stress must be terrible.

He’s coping, son and daughter in law and the cleaner were helping and when the water receded he got most of the standing water up with a Vax but floorboards ruined and carpets of course.

It must be awful to just see the water creeping higher and knowing you can’t do anything. I’m so sorry for anyone who’s been affected.

And it will affect his insurance and sale. He had thoughts of renting it or selling once he retires and getting a place near his daughter’s family in Wales, but once it’s been flooded people are not going to want to buy or rent it for what he would have got before. It’s a gorgeous place too, but in a little hollow so it’s going to be vulnerable.
I think I'd be widening/deepening the culvert and stocking up on some sand bags to at least alleviate the problem if it were to happen again.

I think I'd be widening/deepening the culvert and stocking up on some sand bags to at least alleviate the problem if it were to happen again.

The culvert is the council’s, so I hope they’ll look at it and also give him some sandbags just in case.

A lane near us that used to fill up at the slightest shower was given the full flood defence treatment a few years ago. After recent rain it's filled up again today.
There are cars broken down near it and another is floating about in the water.

The floody bit is a dip under a main railway line. I don't think it's holding the trains up. The bridge will have been inspected in case it's damaged.

If I wasn't ill I'd jump on a bike and rush over there for a look!

It’s peed down here for the best part of 3 days it did stop for about 20 min this morning but just when I was thinking we were going to get a hose pipe ban it started again ☔

I was out running today up over some local hills across fields. They were so wet that I was sinking in up to mid calf, and this was on a hillside that is normally free draining. It's like running on butter.

I was out running today up over some local hills across fields. They were so wet that I was sinking in up to mid calf, and this was on a hillside that is normally free draining. It's like running on butter.
What - you mean, your running on mud has churned it all up?

Where I live is all hills apart from coast road and today for the first time in the 30 odd years I've lived here I saw sandbags at shop entrances which are at the bottom of hills. We've had so much rain over the last few months that as soon as it rains there's huge puddles all over the place most roads then have small rivers running down them.

Peeing down here at the mo the report keeps saying it will be fine for a few days but from tomorrow but tomorrow never comes

It is predicted that a huge area of arctic air will invade the U.S. next week and our area may have the first snow fall in 2 years.

The school kiddies are hoping to get out of school.

A mysterious cloud moved over North Texas. Was it weather or the military?​

Earlier this month, a weather radar detected a wave of something hovering over parts of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. But it wasn't raining.

https://www.chron.com/weather/article/mysterious-cloud-military-chaff-18633951.php

National Weather service says chaff (aluminum-coated glass fibers used as a military radiofrequency countermeasure and released from aircrafts, ships and vehicles to confuse enemy radar systems). Others disagree.

A mysterious cloud moved over North Texas. Was it weather or the military?​

Earlier this month, a weather radar detected a wave of something hovering over parts of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. But it wasn't raining.

https://www.chron.com/weather/article/mysterious-cloud-military-chaff-18633951.php

National Weather service says chaff (aluminum-coated glass fibers used as a military radiofrequency countermeasure and released from aircrafts, ships and vehicles to confuse enemy radar systems). Others disagree.
It might not have been raining, but there was 'pink' lightning . . .
1706548301457.png

Why does every bit of dramatic weather we get in the UK now get a name? We’re told ‘Storm Ignatius IV’ is going to cause nationwide chaos and is definitely a pensioner killer yet all I see is a bit of rain and blustery wind. You know, what we used to call ‘seasonal weather’.

Why does every bit of dramatic weather we get in the UK now get a name? We’re told ‘Storm Ignatius IV’ is going to cause nationwide chaos and is definitely a pensioner killer yet all I see is a bit of rain and blustery wind. You know, what we used to call ‘seasonal weather’.
They're on about doing it with 'heatwaves' too now.

The reason they name storms now is to indicate when the weather may be a threat - damage to property or life.
It was noticed that in the past, if the weather presenter just said it was going to be bad, people would shrug and ignore it.
The point is to accentuate - to get people to take notice. And heatwaves can kill the unprepared.

The problem with this is that the 'cry wolf' situation may apply when they give every storm a name.
When a really big storm occurs, people will go 'meh' and ignore it.

The reason they name storms now is to indicate when the weather may be a threat - damage to property or life.
It was noticed that in the past, if the weather presenter just said it was going to be bad, people would shrug and ignore it.
The point is to accentuate - to get people to take notice. And heatwaves can kill the unprepared.
What most people do is watch the forecast the day before and say, Oh it's going to be 28c tomorrow- that's a bit too hot for me, I'll stay out of it, and take some water if I do go out.

I don't see how naming it Storm Bastard makes any difference whatsoever to people's perception of what 28c actually feels like.

The problem with this is that the 'cry wolf' situation may apply when they give every storm a name.
When a really big storm occurs, people will go 'meh' and ignore it.
That's probably more about a general distrust of weather forecasting than anything else.
Like when you read your horoscope, nod and forget all about it. :chuckle:

I agree with you, it's just creating melodrama over a natural phenomenon that has occurred for millenia. But by giving a storm a name, the news can hype it so you'll seek out news stories and thus, give views to their ads so they can make money.

It's all bullshit <cynical rant over>

I may be wrong here but I think a lot of these storms/cyclones originate in the Atlantic & hit the US first where the effect is strongest, then veer across to Northen Europe.

Sweden has just registered its highest ever wind speed in Storm Alfrida & thousands are without power. I don’t know if we even got that one in the UK.

Maybe we should let the public name them - Stormy McStormface etc.

Back