Weird Weather

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A lot of people have experienced various magnitudes and types of weather over their allotted time on this Planet INT21, and some people have sat down and questioned this insistence on anthropological origins.

To lay the blame on humanity, rather than industry, indicates to me a type of Stockholm syndrome that a large number of our populace has welcomed. We have had, until now, little choice in what is used in construction of homes, highways, factories, Highway systems, transport, and the fuels that have been required for this outcome.

We all agree that among other things, CO2 is a byproduct of all these products processes.

I'd like to point out the obvious and indicate that CO2 is 0.0412% of the atmosphere, and that it isn't any toxicity or harmful effect of CO2 that is altering our climate.

It is what it, and the effect that many other compounds have on normal radiation from our Star that is causing the problem.

This effect is causing our oceans and atmosphere to heat up. Luckily, our atmosphere can rid itself of 52% of that ambient heat, but, our oceans can't - It can only rid itself of 12% of Its ambient heat, and our oceans are responsible for our weather/climate.

Now, having come this far, I would like to indicate that I do acknowledge that the climate is changing, But I cannot accept that CO2 is the boogieman that some organisations and some people would have us believe.

I know that over the last century, our oceans have been progressively warming, that we have been tipping uncountable types of shite into them, and that because our oceans are vast, we don't see the effect that our rubbish has.

Our Governments are a little vague with that...

While our governments have been dedicated to CO2, and have been levying and taxing us, because industry will pass that sort of thing on...the oceans, which supply us with 75% of our renewable oxygen have been warming, have been dying, have been retaining heat which has reached our poles, which has altered our climate and weather, and which has been expanding due to waters penchant for that sort of thing and flooding low lying areas, causing biggest mobs of people to seek refuge elsewhere.

I, rather cynically believe that CO2, for certain people, is a nice little earner, and that is why the focus on CO2, rather than a dire need to focus on our Magnificent Oceans and Seas.

Your opinion may vary.
Yes. Carbon trading seems to have been invented as yet another money market. Someone is doing nicely out of it.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
On the way home today it may have been the hottest day in the memory of UK man
but it was leathering it down, roads flooded and lightening filling the sky, got out of
the car and both of us had our hair was standing on end due to the static charge in the air,
looked like a pair of gonks.

One curious event on the UK's second-hottest day on record was a 'heat burst' at the oddly-named Donna Nook on the Lincolnshire coast. At 9pm, a decaying thunderstorm brought hot air rushing to the surface, raising the temperature from 22 to 32 Celsius in just half an hour. It returned to its previous level in about half that time. The phenomenon is pretty rare in the UK, and a temperature that high (90F in old money) at that time of the evening is just extraordinary.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
One curious event on the UK's second-hottest day on record was a 'heat burst' at the oddly-named Donna Nook on the Lincolnshire coast. At 9pm, a decaying thunderstorm brought hot air rushing to the surface, raising the temperature from 22 to 32 Celsius in just half an hour. It returned to its previous level in about half that time. The phenomenon is pretty rare in the UK, and a temperature that high (90F in old money) at that time of the evening is just extraordinary.
I have a friend who lives down the coast from Donna Nook. I'll ask her if she experienced the sudden heat rise.

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Extreme weather in Japan has killed 23 people, hospitalised 12,751 (!):
Hot in Japan

Not only the elderly, either.
From other articles it seems it reached about 101F/38C in parts of Japan and the death toll's up to 57 now.

The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) said the surge in hospitalizations, deaths and people collapsing from heat stroke is partly due to people's bodies, which adapted to the cool weather of the rainy season and did not sweat much, have been unable to cope with the sudden spike in temperature, according to the Japan News.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Awful. Would that be classified as an epidemic if it was a disease outbreak?

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Awful. Would that be classified as an epidemic if it was a disease outbreak?
According to Wiki : An epidemic is the rapid spread of infectious disease to a large number of people in a given population within a short period of time, usually two weeks or less. For example, in meningococcal infections, an attack rate in excess of 15 cases per 100,000 people for two consecutive weeks is considered an epidemic

Quick calculation says it affected about one in 10,000 people (126,800,000 / 12,751) in less than 2 weeks so yes, if this was an infectious agent it would probably be considered an epidemic.

Sid

Devoted Cultist
I just learned about heat bursts, they are claimed to have created some extraordinary effects.
https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/heat-bursts-thunderstorms-explained
Had a quick look for related matter to do with people saying "it feels like the Sun seems hotter than usual."
I came across info which states that the Sun hasn't gotten any warmer than it usually is... except that effects from what is happening to the world is increasingly effecting the Ultra Violet, and various other types of UV, and that's why it seems to be warmer?